Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Favorabilis Solitud posted:

I never knew there was a strong following to like Sonic comics (longest running video game comic) and like GI JOE comics until these threads. I guess I always looked at these as vehicles to sell toys/games first then focus on a good story/art second. I get comics in general are always tied into pushing something.

Is there a reason to ever read these or is this mainly for people who played GI Joe or played/plays sonic games as a kid?
The Sonic comics have more connection to the Sonic Saturday Morning show than the games. They both use the same characters from what I remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Has anyone read the Marvel: The Untold Story by Sean Howe? I thought it was pretty informative, but I didn't know much about Marvel's history beforehand, so I'm not sure what the general opinion here is about that.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Hard to give Johns the blame for Identity Crisis, written by Brad Beltzer, and Final Crisis, written by Grant Morrison. Just saying.

It was very engagingly-written, to the point that I've given it to non-comics fans to read and they've enjoyed it. There are segments of the book where Howe's sympathies are clearly on one side of a dispute, but I'd argue that that's almost inescapable; it is, more than anything, an oral history of Marvel Comics, and so basically everything he writes is by necessity colored by the impressions of the people that will talk to him and the absences of the people who won't. Personally I found the info on Marvel in the '60s and '70s to be informative as hell, and he does a great job making the reader aware of people who weren't exactly Big Names whose contributions to the company still ended up being awesome and important, like Flo Sternberg and Morrie Kuramoto.
He talked a bunch to Stan Lee for the book but clearly doesn't think he's as responsible for the success of the company as Kirby, from what I can tell. I was surprised how many people he did interview though.

• Locked thread