Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

WickedHate posted:

Avengers Arena has been the worst Marvel book since Marvel NOW! started. It was just totally pointless. Nothing positive came out of it, and getting it instead of a Braddock Acadamy book is a tragedy.

Hell, the fact that Avengers Academy got replaced by it is maddening. That book was basically the opposite of Arena. It created a whole bunch of brand new characters, made them interesting, even managed to make cheap hooks (X-23 joining the class) and tie-ins (Fear Itself) work. I still love the development of Finesse from creepy autistic/sociopathic chick, to basically the most heroic of the team.

Didn't DC pull a similar :bandwagon: move with the Titans doing Hunger Games/Battle Royale as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The problem with these story arcs (and a lot of 'event' comics, really) is that the story is built around death. Sometimes killing a character off is just the natural progression of a story, and ideally, you build that for maximum emotional oomph. You set out to tell a story and then get to a point where the death is the only reasonable way to proceed. Arena and the... dear god, THREE Titans stories are based around "Who can we kill off to show it's for real dangerous/edgy?". The cart's pulling the horse.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Claytor posted:

Runaways as a movie has been in development hell since something like 2006. Last I heard, Marvel's looking at taking another shot with it as a post-Phase 3 movie.

And wasn't it right around the Airbender debacle that they circulated a casting call for what was clearly Nico, but asking for a white chick?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Suben posted:

The problem is that Cyborg has like three decades across multiple reboots and various outside appearances (i.e. cartoons) of being a really loving boring character. It says a lot when the least boring he's ever been was a cartoon where he really didn't have much of a personality beyond a one-dimensional Slightly Goofy Black Guy Who Shouts "Aw yeah" deal.

Hey, that's not fair!

He also shouted "Boo-yah!" a lot.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

IUG posted:

Now look what you guys did:

Why are Marvel threatening us?! I didn't do anything!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Sage is in the background of that panel.

Background? How can he be forced to kiss her boot under mind control if she's in the background?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Huh, that actually retroactively makes what Bendis did with Mattie make a ton more sense. If she was continually trying to hook up with Peter, it makes a twisted kind of sense that she'd respond to rejection by seeking validation from similarly 'dangerous' older men, and eventually, well, how she ends up in Alias.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Onmi posted:

Oh goodie so nobody has done Ben Raabs run on Green Lantern yet.

First, some backstory, at issue #47 of Green Lantern (Vol.3) Ron Marz, an excellent writer at both merging the cosmic with the earthbound super heroics (Most notably would be Silver Surfer before this, and after this Witchblade which he managed to turn from a Cheesecake book into something worth buying) was tasked with writing the new Green Lantern as Hal Jordan had been killing the sales and the book of in cancellation territory. After being told "No the new one can't be a girl" and having the requisite 6 issues he would need to properly tell the story of Hal's breakdown over the destruction of Coast City, his abandonment by the Guardians, and the tragic descent of a man who was too much of a hero for his own good (despite what Geoff Johns would hav you believe) into going to the extremes to SAVE everyone. He still managed in 3 issues and brought us Kyle Rayner.

Wait, I've never heard this before. There was serious consideration given to it being Kyla Rayner? And why in God's name would DC find that objectionable?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Well, you didn't think Land was actually going to imagine a brand new look and pose for Doom, did you? Much easier to grab some cosplay images and fire up the ol' lightbox.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I still cannot get over that name. Lara-Su? How does someone with access to the internet pick that as a name for what's basically a fanfic Original Character Do Not Steal and try to play the concept straight?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

While the arc itself wasn't bad, there was a really terrible moment at the end of Rick Remender's "Castaway in Dimension Z" Cap story arc, I'm talking about the Sharon Carter stuff. She shows up, shoots a little kid who she sees fighting Cap, doesn't seem to care that she shot said child and then kind of unceremoniously dies. The whole thing was so poorly done that I thought it was some kind of fake out but then the first issue after that arc ended characters were all "Yup, Sharon's dead."

OK, just going through this thread for the first time in a while, and I haven't read Cap since Brubaker left, but seriously? Could Remender not just... not have Sharon in the book? He can't just put the toy he doesn't like back in the box for the other kids, he has to rub it in dogshit and then smash it because 'it was covered in crap'? That whole description comes off like someone who wants to get rid of the character, but doesn't even care enough to pretend it's a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TwoPair posted:

If it makes you feel any better, she's back now. She got a fakeout death just like Cap's son.

...I'll show myself out.

• Locked thread