Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Let me consult my sources:

robziel posted:

X-Men vs. Dracula, Wolverine uses his claws to make the sign of the cross to scare off Dracula off once it's confirmed that religious symbols do work (including Shadowcat's Star of David.) Nothing happens and Dracula says something like "You have to believe for it to work."

Oh god why do I remember that.

Seems so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Suben posted:

Need a Ms. Marvel equivalent for our new Dark Avengers? Have noted misandrist Superia dress in a skimpy outfit taking orders from a man with no problem; she's got super strength so it works!

Yeah, what the gently caress was that about. Was that even addressed in the story?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Reed Richards is mad into science fiction. He fits the profile.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I was under the impression, perhaps mistakenly so, that Mary Marvel's role in Final Crisis was always as depicted in the final book and her storyline in Countdown was another aspect like the 'war in heaven' where Morrison wanted the idea to be sudden and shocking and not told in Final Crisis but DC decided to do a pre-amble anyway.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Syrg Sapphire posted:

I buy the "I changed it because it seemed interesting" thing just because I've always assumed that the stuff from the Final Crisis Sketchbook they put out before the main story was the framework Countdown might have been built off of? It's got so many ideas and plots that never made it into the final, and one of those was that we were going to see an on-panel Desaad as perverted torturer, but in the final thing, he is instead possessing Mary Marvel (who, from memory, since I can't find the drat issue - was not in said sketchbook)

That's a good point. Honestly, it kind of makes Final Crisis even more potent a critique if Mary Marvel was actually something Grant saw them doing and decided to weave it in.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Fear itself gets a lot of (deserved) poo poo piled on it, but I did like large parts of it. Iron Man sacrificing his sobriety, that issue of Uncanny X-Men where they're trying to stop Juggernaut. And it's the genesis of Kid Loki's Journey into Mystery, which is one of my favorite short lived series ever. (Anyone who hasn't read it, you don't need to read the rest of Fear itself to understand it, you just need to understand that poo poo is hosed, and the world [Midgard/Earth] is going to end).

I like a lot of Fear Itself too. It's at least better than garbage like Siege, Secret Invasion and their ilk.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

I've recently started posting on the CBR forums; seems like there's a lot of people who'd disagree over there.

I went to see what they were saying and it seems more positive in general, but there are still detractors. Which I'm more surprised by, to be honest.

That, and I saw someone say that Forever Evil was better than Morrison's JLA: Earth 2, which nearly caused me to bite my tongue off.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Is just than FE have a really horrible art (Finch can't even be bothered to check the designs of the cameo characters he's drawing, I'm baffled than he's still considered a top artist),

He's not.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

It was a different time for gender politics. The 60's, y'know. Mad Men. Cigars. Invisible girls.

And every decade following all the way up to, and including, the nineties.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I really want a full-on, no bullshit Exiles reboot.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Yeah, I thought Marz writing was really boring and Kyle was an incredibly tedious character throughout the nineties. It wasn't really until the tail-end, when Morrison put in some work with him on JLA that I really got interested in him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Onmi posted:

But that's wrong in two ways. The first being that Morrison didn't write Kyle at the tail-end of Kyle's run as GL

I said that Morrison wrote him at the tail-end of the nineties, not at the tail-end of Kyle's run as GL, read it again.

• Locked thread