Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Wachter posted:

Here's DC Wikia's description of Dr. Light's death scene, since it really does set the tone:

Ugh, I knew they'd retconned rape into Dr. Light's background, but I had no idea they'd gone whole hog rapey rapist from rapeville with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
That's twice now that Larry Hama's name has popped up in this thread. Y'all are trying to make 10 year old me feel bad for loving G.I. Joe, aren't y'all?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
How about Chris Claremont's run on Exiles in Vol. 2?

The first series was a mixture of Sliders, Quantum Leap, and Marvel heroes, which meant that anything could and did happen. No such thing as plot armor here. Characters died, worlds were destroyed, poo poo happened. After its cancellation, Claremont took this setting of alternate universes and an entire multiverse of characters and used it to put together his favorite few characters and have them running around on Earth fighting generic bad guys like every other superteam.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I have to ask, why does Superman have digitized holes in his costume?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Madkal posted:

X-Cutioner's Song and Age of Apocalypse will always have a special place in my heart.

I'll always remember X-Cutioner's Song mostly for having an issue of X-Factor in which not a single member of X-Factor appears even once.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Favorabilis Solitud posted:

Is there a reason to ever read these or is this mainly for people who played GI Joe or played/plays sonic games as a kid?

I can't say anything about Sonic, but I made a thread here specifically to answer that question about Marvel's G.I. Joe comic.

e: Long story short, the comic was great for several years, then the 90's happened, the head writer lost interest, and everything started revolving around ninjas.

Nipponophile fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

Right at the start of his Marvel career, Todd McFarlane was going to be assigned to GI Joe, but Hama refused because he thought McFarlane's storytelling was very weak. McFarlane was put on Hulk instead; Peter David also thought his storytelling was very weak, but decided to make the best of it becuase he didn't think was getting another shot at a regular writing gig anytime soon.

That's simplifying things a bit. McFarlane actually did two issues of G.I. Joe as a freelancer, but his second issue was rejected and Marvel pulled in a replacement to completely redraw the issue. Ironically, his unpublished issue was released as a "Special" some two years after the Joe comic had been cancelled, because McFarlane had since become a hot commodity in the comics world.

In fairness, McFarlane's treatment really didn't fit with the style that had been established in the Joe comics. They had been shooting for a realistic, hard-edged style, and McFarlane's submission just didn't fit that motif.

• Locked thread