Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
I can't believe this hasn't been posted before, but... Larry Hama's run on Generation X, 33-47.

Released in '94, Generation X was a breath of fresh air. For the past few years the X-titles had really started to suck, with X-Force pissing on the corpse of New Mutants, X-Men dominated by two-page 'splash' fight scenes, and the while industry lining up to suck Liefeld's two-inch dick. Cable's pouches and manboobs appeared on every other page, leading the teams into one stupid fight after another.

As sort of a compromise to Liefeld's 'singer/songwriter' approach, GenX was created by the writer and artist working together, in this case Scott Lobdell and Chris Bachalo. Featuring some new characters and some old favorites, it had just the right balance of 'action' and character development. L+B ran it for three awesome years, interrupted by Age of Apocalypse, before stepping down in '97 (why? I dunno).

After blackmailing Bob Harras with a picture of him with an underage bellhop in Tijuana, Hama took over in #33. It started out innocently, the team going to dinner at a local diner after Emma burns the tuna casserole (?) Angelo regales the team with "Ten reasons a dog is better than a woman," ignoring the fact that all the women are two feet away... except for Penance and the 8 year old twins, whom they left behind in the infirmary (??) There, they are harassed by moronic townies before being rescued by Chief Authier, the down-to-earth police chief who states firmly, "This is MY town!" But they forgot to turn on the mansion's alarms, so they get robbed by moronic burglars who steal Jubilee's diary (???) and Angelo's gun (????) The chief's daughter somehow gets the goods and blackmails them into letting her join the school (??????)

In the next few issues, things go from bad to loving weird. Emplate attacks, and fuses with Penance to form "M-plate". He kidnaps Everett, and takes him to an other-dimensional Deus Ex Machina, hoping to use Synch's powers to destroy all life in the universe (WTF?) Jubilee and Sean are joined by 'the token', which, after a pointless stop at Landau, Luckman and Lake, they use as fare to board an interdimensional coal-fired train, aided by 'Dirt-Nap', a talking rat with a yellow smiley face on his butt. Honestly, I'm not making this poo poo up. They rescue Everett, who upon returning to Earth is beat half to death by the townies for no reason at all.

At the end of L+B's run, we found out that the girl known as Monet was the fusion of two 8 year old twins, one of whom was autistic. In the next issue, Hama 'reveals' that Emplate had used a magic spell (?) to imprison Monet in the body of Penance. Upon discovering this, the twins had merged to form a fake Monet, because... wait for it... so their father wouldn't be upset. Uh, hello? Wouldn't he be just a leeeeetle bit concerned that his 8 year old daughters are missing? The 'real' Monet frees herself from the Penance shell, but for *reasons*, the twins must now inhabit it.

And then, the fact that Monet is a completely new person IS NEVER MENTIONED AGAIN, at least not during Hama's diarrheal run. In the issue after that, they watch horror films, after which Jubilee falls asleep and has nightmares. Half a dozen or so one-off issues follow, all using the same formula. A lame setup and inane chatter for the first half of the book, then some threat comes out of nowhere. Everyone uses their powers exactly once, they high-five, more stupid chatter and things are back where they were. Fun game; open any Hama title and count the number of times someone is interrupted with their last word being "and-". It happens at least once per issue.

It didn't help that the art mostly sucked. The excellent husband-and-wife team of Terry and Rachael Dodson did several good issues, but most were done by a succession of talentless 'guest artists'. In particular, #41 was pencilled by "Cabin Boy", which sounds like a "gently caress this, I don't want my name attached to this poo poo" name.

Fortunately, Jay Faerber came and turned GenX back around in #48, followed by Warren Ellis later. But, the series never really got it's readership back, and it was abruptly cancelled at #75.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh Christ I thought I wiped that whole run out of my memory. It still has some of my favorite all-time dumb moves like Synch answering the front door of the mansion in his costume and Hama trying to crowbar his LL&L stuff from Wolverine into the comic.

What was Hama's deal with that, anyway? I feel like Landau Luckman and Lake was being put in every Marvel line to some degree in the 90's, unless I'm mis-remembering.

Close to it. And, there was no reason at all for it to have been put in that issue of GenX. They arrived, found the place trashed by Wolverine, said "gee, no one's here" and left.

Evil Mastermind posted:

e: Was Hama responsible for Mondo being a traitor or whatever he was, or was that Lobdell?

Lobdell had the first Mondo turn out to be a traitor and really be a clone. Bastion killed him. Later, Faerber had the real Mondo showed up... also a traitor.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Suben posted:

Skin was pretty cool and I wish he was still around. :(

He never really came off as "oh woe is me" about his appearance so much as he was already a kind of cynical dude so it was just one more lovely thing thrown on him. It always came off as less "oh woe is me" and more resignation that yep, this is how things were whether he liked it or not.

Skin was awesome. He had been dealt a bad hand in many ways, but his attitude was "life is tough, man up and deal with it".

Then, of course, he's killed off-panel, and gets a one-page funeral where they get his name wrong.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

bobkatt013 posted:

I just remember Nightcrawler used to use the image inducer and a lot of I look like a monster.

Kurt was pretty cool... he acknowledged that he looked demonic, but didn't obsess or angst about it overmuch.

quote:

I'm not going to check but didn't Nightcrawler used to creep on Kitty when she was still underage and he wasn't?

Lemme guess, Claremont?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Kalli posted:

I think it was just more him playfully hitting on any woman he could. Though I have vague recollections of a story with him setting his image inducer to a young Burt Reynolds and having Kitty and Illyana swoon over him.

E: I think that last bit is from the annual with the Impossible Man actually

I think it was from his 80's LS, where he got to be an interdimensional swashbuckler. Dopey but fun.

A dude posted:

Doesn't that make him Homo Killcrop?

IMHO, the whole "killcrop" bit was something Damian Tryp pulled out of his rear end.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Suben posted:

Battle of the Atom
Brian Michael Bendis/Jason Aaron/Brian Wood (W), Frank Cho/Stuart Immonen/David Lopez/Chris Bachalo/Giuseppe Camincoli (A)

This sucked. The plot was so convoluted and nonsensical I threw up my hands after two issues. Marvel overuses time travel way, way too much, and this is the worst example. I do kind of respect how they didn't hit the Magic History Eraser Button at the end and have it all never have happened, and I like O5 are actually fun to have around afterwards, especially the Cyke/Laura bit. Still, overall it sucked a long one.

Also the name is stupid. "Battle of the Atom?" Could you be any more generic?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Gavok posted:

Hey, man. The Generation X movie came out in 1996.

Oh God, that movie was so bad I blotted it out until now. The plot sucked, the acting sucked, and they even replaced Chamber and Husk because they couldn't afford decent SFX for their powers. The replacement for Paige was an even bigger hayseed named Arlee Hicks. C'mon, really? "Hicks"???

EDIT: and they didn't even bother to cast an Asian for Jubilee. (The 1st X-Men movie also had a Caucasian play Jubes, but it was just a cameo).

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 10, 2014

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

DarkCrawler posted:

Now if you want to talk about Strong Female Characters coming out of nowhere with utterly unexpained/unjustified powers and competence...fuckin' Sage...

Raise your hand if you think Sage is a great character BUT think that the "I was spying for Xavier all along!!" retcon is total bullshit.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

KenPender's Twitter posted:

Echyd'nya (pronounced eh-kid-Nyah) with real emphasis on the last syllable as if a Klingon were speaking. (Just trying to keep it simple.)

Alien names with apostrophes in the middle, the true mark of a master sci-fi writer.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Wasn't that really mostly Liefeld's fault, though? My understanding is that what specifically made the industry go boom was Death Mate failing, which was almost entirely on Liefeld because he couldn't turn in a book to save his life.

The 90's collector's bubble was doomed from the start. On the one hand you had doofuses (doofi?) who hoarded mint #1's in their mommy's basements in hopes of getting rich ten years from now. On the other hand, every single comic company whatsoever tried to cash in, by releasing SUPER DUPER COLLECTOR'S EDITIONS with 83 different holographic glow-in-the-dark foil-embossed covers (collect 'em all!)

Obviously, since a bajillion people were collecting every title there was, none were ever worth anything.

EDIT: I like the Ed Wood comparison there. ^^^^^ Liefeld is the world's worst artist, and he's not exactly Shakespeare either... but he tries.

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 27, 2014

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

rotinaj posted:

There's something seriously wrong with Ken Penders, isn't there?

You're beating a dead hedgehog horse there.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

anti_strunt posted:

Complete with a pubic S-shield/party-down-below crotch arrow

...aaaaaand we have our new thread title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Madkal posted:

Darkseid is the ultimate "that guy who said he would crash on your couch for 2 days but ends up staying at your place for months".

And this despite him having a big jaggy stone castle with lava everywhere. Maybe he's just tired of Desaad bogarting all his beer and Hot Pockets.

• Locked thread