Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

bobkatt013 posted:

However, Witchfinder Lost and Gone Forever by Mike Mignola, John Arcudi, and John Severin is pointless and seemed to be there just for John Severin amazing art. It did not seem to have any connection to the larger universe so its really not worth reading.
Before that, John Arcudi created the Mask and DC:s Major Bummer, so he's definitely got writing chops (seriously, read Major Bummer). I'd just chalk Fightbolts up to a really, really, really bad editorial idea.

Realism posted:

Dan Slott's run on Superior Spider-Man has to be one of the worst right now.
It is the worst run of Superior Spider-Man ever. It's also the best run on Superior Spider-Man ever. :rimshot:

In all seriousness, if you think this is anywhere near as bad as the Howard Mackie ASM and SM run, you've either never read it or managed to repress it. In both cases I envy you.

It started in the stretch after the Clone Saga. At the time there were three Spider-books with slightly overarcing plots: Spectacular (various writers, including J.M. DeMatties), Amazing (DeFalco), and Peter Parker Spider-Man (Mackie). After the cancellation and relaunch following ASM #441, Mackie was handed both remaining books (PP:SM and ASM). Despite Dematties and former-editor-Glenn Greenbergs best efforts, DeFalco and Mackie really did a number on the readers. Tom Defalco isn't a bad writer per se, whereas Mackie forgets about things he's written, ignores or handwaves them away. For example, when Mackie was supposed to wrap up the Clone Saga, it became evident in planning that Mackie hadn't actually read the memo that explained how everything fit together.

Notable for the issues after after Clone Saga up to JMS' run were many concepts that were never again touched upon. Apart from the Nobody Goblin and Venom "killing" the Sinister Six that Gavok went into, here are some things off the top of my head:

- Korean martial artist Meiko Yin/Dragonfly, joins the Hand (ASM #421-423), one mention since
- S.H.O.C., superhero whose powers are killing him (SM #76), never seen again
- Someone at the Bugle looks at a picture of the doctor delivering Peter's baby and says something like "This guy is so mysterious and weird, he gives me the creeps" (ASM #421-423), never mentioned again
- Annie Herd, mercenary/supervillain Aura, paraplegic after Sensational #25, cameo appearance 8 years later
- Greg Herd, mercenary/supervillain Override, transformed to burning skeleton Shadrac (ASM v2 #2), cameo appearance 8 years later
- Spider-Man's new cat (ASM v2 #27), never expanded upon
- The sinister dog owned by Peter's hot neighbor, plot never resolved
- The guy stalking and kidnapping Mary Jane turned out to be "some guy with telepathy, it's not important" after years of buildup (ASM v2 #29), blows up at end of issue?

With a little help from DeFalco, he managed to forget/handwave away all these and more in just four years!

WickedHate posted:

Jason Aaron's Incredible Hulk. It was awful and nearly killed my interest in the Hulk forever. Bald, snarky, badly drawn Hulk teaming up with the Punisher to fight humanoid dogs was...not one of the worst things I ever read, but drat close. It was extremely disappointing to be look up his work after reading the latest Thor(which is amazing and everyone should read), and finding out he did that. It was a good thing that particular arc was called Stay Angry, because reading it, I did.
I liked "Stay Angry" because it was basically "Crank: The Comic", but holy lol should they have picked another artist.
The bigger problem was the opening "Island of doctor Moreau"-arc that took six issues to blow up Bruce Banner and had both Marc Silvestri and Whilce Portacio as artists. They're interchangeable, so the shift wasn't jarring, but still...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

Here is an easy way to get the whole thing. Just start from here and get all 11 volumes!
http://www.amazon.com/Spider-Man-Co...+saga+spiderman
Or you could just get the "Clone Saga Mini-series" by esteemed messrs. DeFalco and Mackie, "Clone Saga how it was meant to be told" according to DeFalco. Apparently Mackie didn't read that memo either, because it was just re-telling the exact same story in six issues instead of 100+. Everything is exactly the same (albeit compressed like whoa) until last two issues where we learn that

- Norman Osborn Green Goblin is actually the stooge of Mystery Villain
- Harry Osborn is the Mystery Villain
- Ben Reilly doesn't die
- baby May lives

the end! Basically DeFalco and Mackie thought for 13 years about what went wrong and then realized "nothing major, really".

Or is it Sputnik fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 1, 2013

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

I would have been totally cool with that ending.

Not perfect (the osborns should have stayed dead) but whatever.
Yeah but the thing is, that's nothing like how the clone saga actually was meant to be told. Depending whose account you go by, it was supposed to end in Amazing #400 from April 1996 (as per Glenn Greenwald) or some six months later (as per Tom Defalco - who apparently never told anyone else this so make of it what you will), not the year-and-a-half-to-two-years it dragged on after that point. Norman Osborn was never meant to be the mastermind, so selling it that way is just disingenuous. Unless they managed to write themselves into a corner in their own six-issue miniseries which could explain a lot, but that simply seems way too silly, even for those two chaps.

If anyone is interested in the behind-the-scenes and office politics of the Spider-Man Clone Saga and haven't already done so, they should check out the column series "The life of Reilly".

Or is it Sputnik fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 1, 2013

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Steve Engleheart F4

Wapole Languray posted:

The thing is, Lee and Kirby both appeared in their FF run, but they had the good goddamn sense to write themselves in as the in-universe Fantastic Four comic team, were part of the plot by being threatened by Doctor Doom, and didn't show their faces. This is just terrible.
To be fair, it seems like Marvel editorial interfered heavily in that run. The Mantis thing was apparently because editorial wouldn't let him finish the story in West Coast Avengers. Engleheart's take.

Oh wow, that's not very good. Can't believe this is the same guy that drew a third of Jason Aaron's Ghost Rider.

Or is it Sputnik fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Aug 4, 2013

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

laz0rbeak posted:

I can't comment on all of Byrne and Mackie's Spidey relaunch,
poo poo was dire. To sum it up: Howard Mackie and characters forget the plot.

I like the part where they establish that it was the botched Dr Octopus experiment that gave Peter spider powers, but that's about the only thing.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

IUG posted:

I remember it being an extra feature for the X-Men 2 movie. They asked him if he knew any secrets about the characters that no one else would, and he gave that as an answer. I took this as a truth for a while until I started to really read the comics, and found out who this guy was and what he ended up writing.

VVV This VVVV

Waterhaul posted:

Please do not try and throw Chuck Austen's nonsense onto Claremont.

It was always Chuck Austen with Nickcrawler's two dicks.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

irlZaphod posted:

I'm pretty sure he was talking about Austen. There's supposedly an interview with him on the X-Men 2 DVD special features.
Yeah, I've watched the special features. Austen talks about an interview he had done and the reporter asked "You're the writer of Nightcrawler, tell us something no one else knows!" and he just blurted out "You know how Nightcrawler has two fingers? Well, he has two of something else too!"

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

McSpanky posted:

How many friggin' origins does Wolverine need? I guess he's Marvel's Joker, either zero or >1.
Wolverine: Origin, the miniseries from 2002, only covers Wolverine age five to age fourteen so they got Way to do an ongoing about th 70 years in-between. Wolverine Origins is kind of a coloring book where Waytakes a lot of established concepts - e.g. fought in WW2 - and turns them into storyarcs.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Let's talk about the Justice Society. After being involved in awful, terrible shenanigans from Crisis on Inifinte Earths forward, DC's golden age superheroes from Earth-2 returned to glory in 1999. Their series was written by David S Goyer and co-written by Geoff Johns up until ~#50 when Johns took over full time. JSA was cancelled with Infinite Crisis but relaunced a few months later as "Justice Society of America", still with Johns who kept writing the new title from 2006 to 2009 for a nice ten-ish year long run.
The last three years themed hard about raising superhero legacies, and Kingdom Come. It is implied that unless the JSA raise the legacies, the Kingdom Come future will come about. So naturally, KC's main antagonist Magog features in this story (as FDR's grandson and U.S. Marine) and joins the JSA. In one of the least exciting twists, the team splits and all the level heads go with Green Lantern while the hotspurs go with Magog. In an even less exciting twist, the hotspurs turn out to be 100% wrong, learn a lesson and rejoin the team.

And then Bill Willingham and alumnus Matt Sturges took over the title.
I have two issues with Willingham. My first issue is that he leaks GOP over his comics, and makes characters into mouthpieces. You can tell by Power Girl endorsing the war on terrorism in DCU: Decisions. The second is Willingham Original Characters that carry over into every title he writes. You'll recognize these characters because they are much better and smarter than other characters in the comic. This run has both.
In his first issue, the team is outnumbered so Jay Garrick gets Dr Fate and makes a quip about how it's important to have a bigger bomb than the other guy. Jay Garrick, flippant about arms races?
After the first arc, :allears: U.S. marine Magog :allears: decides he's had it with these old fogeys and the team splits, with the young hotspurs going with Magog (urgh). Those people go to a spin-off called "JSA All-Stars" where they train under :allears: U.S. marine Magog :allears:, in itself kind of ridiculous seeing as Power Girl, Damage and Hourman have been heroing for 20-40 years real world time.

It's less a "this whole run is bad" as it is "he came in running and got everything 100% wrong", I suppose.

Or is it Sputnik fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 2, 2013

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

By the way, was that the run with all the shenanigans about Shazam stealing Billy and Mary Batson's powers and turning Black Adam and Isis into statues?
I worded that badly, what I meant to say was that the horrible shenanigans went on from 1985 to their new series in 1999.

After CoIE, 95% of the JSA was shunted off to demon Limbo to fight Ragnarok forever (yes, really). They were brought back in 1991 in a 3-issue miniseries that didn't make no sense no how, and got an ongoing. Said ongoing was cancelled by the editor after three issues, and two years later Zero Hour happened so half the JSA died, the rest disbanded. Dr. Fate turned into Mystic Punisher for a couple years. Green Lantern started calling himself "Starheart".

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

It's like Marc Guggenheim misunderstood that DKR quote "He used to need a lantern. Now he is one." :v:

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Yes, Jones' JLA wasn't even bad enough to make fun of like Justice League Detroit or Extreme Justice (and I say this as the biggest Blue & Gold fanboy in BSS) -- just forgettable and bland. The full team was Wonder Woman (in her black leather jacket and biker shorts), Flash, the post-Zero Hour Hawkman (whose costume I actually preferred to the classic/modern version), Blue Devil, Obsidian, Nuklon (pre-Atom Smasher), Metamorpho, Fire, Icemaiden (since Mark Waid had just killed off Ice), and the Yazz. There was also a bullshit storyline about Power Girl's mystical pregnancy, back when she was wearing a completely different white, red, and blue costume with a headband.
Yeah, here are the things I remember about that era: Nuklon freaking out over homosexuality, Obsidian self-mutilating with Hawkmans katar, Icemaiden being depressed. Wonder Woman explaining she isn't Wonder Woman anymore. The villain in the last issue had a whip.
The Power Girl costume was due to her not being "Kryptonian from a universe that never existed" but instead an atlantean!

In Jones defense his JLI/A spanned Armageddon 2001, Death of Superman, Knightfall, Emerald Twilight, Guy Gardner(Warrior), Green Lantern Mosaic, and Zero Hour, so all the good toys were taken. You can tell he tried to make people care about Icemaiden, Nuklon and Obsidian but in the end he was handed poo poo to begin with.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

redbackground posted:

It's really amazing that the headline JUSTICE LEAGUE title back then was as far from what we today consider a JL title should be. It was super low-key, full of characters nobody knew about, and stakes that I guess were kind of high, on a good day. If the words "Justice Leauge of America" weren't on the cover, you would never know. The fact that it took until 1997 for DC to realize that "Oh hey, we should put the Big Guns in one book!" is sort of crazy.

(full disclosure: I actually don't mind Jones' run, but I 100% agree it had to go, and the Morrison relaunch was the best thing that could possibly have happened.)
It goes in cycles. Most of the time, JLA is a majority of the Big 7 with some other characters that are en vogue, but then you also have Justice League Detroit, late-era JLI/A and McDuffie/Robinson era.
During McDuffie's JLA, the following characters were off-limits for parts of it: Superman (Geoff Johns), Batman (Batman RIP), Martian Manhunter (Final Crisis), Hawkgirl (Final Crisis), as well as most major villains of the DCU (Salvation Run).

And then we had the James Robinson JLA where the most bankable characters in the JLA were Starfire and Green Lantern.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

d00gZ posted:

The first bunch of those were all while Jurgens was on JLA, dude.
True, but Jones was writing JLEurope that later changed the name to JLInternational at the time. I thought it was already called JLI (hence "JLI/A"), but apparently it changed only halfway through his run. Sorry for the confusion.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

I want to talk about Marvels (USA) Transformers comic. The volume started out as a 4-issue miniseries but was a hit and got extended for what turned about to be a seven-year run. Up till issue #55, Bob Budiansky was the writer. His one is not so much a bad run as one hamstrung by corporate interests. There are some bad stories in there but also some good - e.g. the Autobot civil war following Optimus Prime's death (in only the second year!)

However, the Transformers comic was about one thing and one thing only - peddling toys. As such, previous writer Bob Budiansky found that any kind of storytelling had to take a backseat to pushing the season's flavour. If you aren't overly familiar with Transformers, it's worth noting that there were hundreds of different Transformers in the "generation one" toy line - each year saw the release of up to 50 new robots, not counting re-releases of old models. Each issue had to introduce half a dozen characters before the writer could go on with the story, and Budiansky tried to give every character a chance to shine. By the fourth full year of the comic the character glut was so massive they could afford to kill more than 50 characters in the story from issues #48-50.

Initially, Budiansky managed to put Predacons, Headmasters, Aerialbots and Pretenders in situations that made sense if you didn't think too much about it (The Decepticons run a tropical resort because...) but his last year is definitely phoned in, and his last issue featured a man wrestling a car. Yeah...

He was succeeded by Simon Furman of Transformers UK, who had another approach to new characters - "Look, here's Quickmix's and Landfill's, now sit down 'cause here's a story about the characters you actually care about".

Or is it Sputnik fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Nov 12, 2013

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

THREE Titans stories are based around "Who can we kill off to show it's for real dangerous/edgy?"
Sounds like a low guesstimate.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Fear itself gets a lot of (deserved) poo poo piled on it, but I did like large parts of it. Iron Man sacrificing his sobriety, that issue of Uncanny X-Men where they're trying to stop Juggernaut. And it's the genesis of Kid Loki's Journey into Mystery, which is one of my favorite short lived series ever. (Anyone who hasn't read it, you don't need to read the rest of Fear itself to understand it, you just need to understand that poo poo is hosed, and the world [Midgard/Earth] is going to end).
Those are good points but like you pointed out, other than the sacrifice those things could have happened without Fear Itself. The X-Men one is just a "Juggernaut is supercharged for whatever reason, throw stuff at him till he stops" plot and JiM spun out of Gillen on Mighty Thor and Siege: Loki.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

So yeah, Johns wasn't subtle
A friend of mine used the phrase "Johnsian literalism" about the Rogues in Flash. Captain Cold's dad beat him when he cried, so his heart went cold. His grandfather drove an ice truck and he used to buy Cold ice cream. Cold, ice cold. Snow. Cold. Cold.

Geoff Johns: subtle he ain't :v:

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

OH GOD IT IS SO BAD

The :psyduck:-iest thing in that run is when Peter is in denial about MJ's death, so his friends stage an intervention to get him to... look at the inside of a box/casket, I guess? This convinces Peter that MJ is in fact dead. Except then she wasn't so it was probably just an old sweater or something in the box. Peter Parker: Super Impressionable, everyone!

There's also this epic storyline about how Venom is going to kill the Sinister Six. He takes down Electro and takes a bite out of Sandman, then goes after Kraven. Spider-Man interferes and it's kind of a tie. Venom then forgot about this storyline because Mackie did too. Electro later appeared not-dead.

And then Sandman was a beach.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

laz0rbeak posted:

Howard Mackie is just not a good writer. For more, check out X-Factor in the late 90's or Mutant X.

Mackie was supposed to write the very last issue of the Clone Saga, Peter Parker: Spider-Man #75. An editor had painstakingly made everything fit in an office memo so that the ending to the Clone Saga would make sense. There was even a one-shot called "The Osborn Journal" to explain this to the readers. Mackie? Didn't even read the memo, the issue was then written pretty much by committée.

If you want another trainwreck, there's the Clone Saga miniseries by Mackie and Defalco that came out five-ish years ago.
There's a sequence of panels where it's obvious that Mackie and/or Defalco thought "this is cool" and didn't give too much thought about. It's where the baby gets stolen - then flash-cut to a misty pier at night - then flash cut to Spiders swinging about Manhattan, mid-day - implicating that the Spider-Men have been aimlessly swinging around for a full day looking for an unknown kidnapper...

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

Ahh. Makes sense. Still, what a poo poo line-up. I mean with Giant-Size X-Men you can immediately see conceptual winners in there like Wolverine, Colossus, and Nightcrawler as well as "I can see cool things being done with them" like Storm, Banshee, and Sunfire-- with the line-up in Eve of Destruction the best characters are Dazzler and Northstar, neither of whom sets the mind on fire with possibility and were known as permanent supporting characters for good reason.
Lobdell knew going in that Morrisson was coming in less than a year later, so Eve of Destruction is equal parts treading water and equal parts wrapping up Claremont's loose ends from the "Neo" storylines. You joke about Omertá and Sunpyre, but compared to Domina, Bloody Bess, Dirge and Goth they're like the Fantastic Four.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Thanks for the effort Omni. That certainly is a trainwreck. You didn't even mention Penders' creative naming of Lara-Su's mother - Mari-Su.

Probably Magic posted:

That's the equivalent of Todd McFarlane wanting Spider-Man for Image Comics
Surely McFarlane would never do that!

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Many Hands/Manny Hands/Diverse Hands isn't just an Archie pseudonym. When a Marvel book ran late, they would just grab whoever was availible and put them on finishing the book. I don't think the people involved didn't want to be associated with the work as much as crediting five different inkers is rather messy.
I don't remember the exact issue number, but there was an issue of X-Men while Cyclops and Phoenix were living in Alaska that had a different artist for almost every new page. The cover boasted "The most artists in one comic book ever!". Times change, I suppose.

If you're interested, you can find Señor Manos Marvel rap sheet Here and here, as well an article about the mysterious penciller/inker/letterer/colorist here.

Or is it Sputnik fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 19, 2014

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

redbackground posted:

Only because I literally just read through that one, it was during the Kelly/Seagle era, and it was Scott and Jean on an airplane dealing with a hairy situation. What a lineup for that issue though--John Cassaday, Terry Dodson, Tommy Lee Edwards, Cully Hamner, Cary Nord, & JH Williams III. Yeah, it switches to a new artist like every other spread.

I really want a lot more JHW3 X-action.
Thanks! Am I misremembering, or were they actually on their way to Alaska for some R&R?

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

I still cannot get over that name. Lara-Su? How does someone with access to the internet pick that as a name for what's basically a fanfic Original Character Do Not Steal and try to play the concept straight?
You think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Wait, huh? I was under the impression that McFarlane's contribution to the 90s comics industry was basically just starting Image, making Spawn, and loving off to go make toys when those two things made him crazy rich.
Add a bunch of legal feuding with Neil Gaiman and bankruptcy in 2004 and it sounds about right.

• Locked thread