Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

Lets not forget this moment

I haven't read any Ultimate other than Spider-Man, but this thing gets posted constantly and I don't quite understand why it's a big deal.

All it says to me is that Ultimate Wolverine is a huge dick, it doesn't seem particularly gross or anything like much of the other stuff posted in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

What's the general consensus on Bendis's work on Avengers? I've not read New Avengers beyond the one story arc where the Collective shows up and re-empowers Magneto, and I've heard a lot of people slag him off for his Avengers stuff, but if he managed one hundred straight issues of it I can't imagine it have all been bad.

I liked New Avengers and Mighty Avengers a lot at the time, Illuminati is excellent, Dark Avengers is real good. He did a perfectly decent job making fun comics for a long time, but he eventually ended up retreading a bunch of the same poo poo and every character began bleeding together into a snarky Bendis-mass full of confusing motivations and plots. New Avengers V2 has its moments, but his mainline Avengers book was super bland and forgettable (and started out with JRJR at his worst to boot).

In the end, he practically became a parody of himself and just went through the motions, creating nothing but the most generic superhero comics outside of Ultimate Spider-Man. He's not a bad writer, as all of his current books are really good, but he stayed on for far too loving long and never really had a long term vision like Hickman seems to.

Age of Ultron and his Avengers Assemble run are the shittiest bookends to his Avengers career. I really hope X-Men turns out better.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 15, 2013

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I don't know, man, you can argue that there are tons of more gruesome deaths out there, and you'd be right, but I definitely think that's a super gnarly way to kill someone, even if it isn't gory.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Onmi posted:

Breaking someones neck is super gnarly? I mean no death is "good" but it's a pretty common comic book death.

The method isn't the problem, stuffing a loved one's dead body in a fridge, leaving it for the person to find it is messed up, man. I wouldn't call that tame by any measure. Gwen Stacy dying from shock or whiplash or whatever is what I would qualify as a tame death, and even that had massive ramifications.

Although, yes, I do think strangulation by hulking murderer is a pretty horrific way to go, precisely because it's not super comic bookey.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Feb 13, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The icepick one is straight up serial killer material, so yes, I will grant it that, but the others are just typical grimdark comic book poo poo - I don't find those to be particularly egregious, since they're clearly the result of an author thinking "let's do the most shocking thing I can imagine" and then doing it in a very over-the-top, cartoonish way. It's like comparing a typical zombie film to 127 Hours.

I'm not a big comic book guy, I didn't learn about the fridging until maybe like 5 years ago. I'm a long time fan of Berserk, arguably the most violent comic ever made, and I only heard about the fridging and thought "drat, that's hosed up". I'd compare it to something like the end of Se7en. Now, yes, that one is worse because decapitation is involved, but in that one you don't even get a glance of the body - it's the implication that's horrific, the almost mundanity of the act. The same is true here, I think.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Feb 13, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

That's BS, the whole reason the fridge thing is a problem is because it happened in a relatively tame superhero comic. Nobody would be bitching about a woman in a fridge in a horror movie, but hey, it turns out that context matters, and having something like this happen to Green Lantern like it's no big deal to put such brutal, misogynistic and callous imagery in a mainstream superhero comic is notable in its awfulness. Sure, it's almost tame compared to Dr. Light, super-rapist, but that's just because DC never loving learned.

Right. Also, I'm not defending that comic, I'm just saying that I don't think stuffing a dead woman in a fridge is tame.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

It was intensely mediocre, but not awful. His Thor run, though...

I thought it was awful. I read that whole run, but couldn't tell you anything about it other than the basic premise of them having some disease, which didn't go anywhere. Did it get cured? gently caress, I don't even remember if it was brought up again after issue 5.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Edge & Christian posted:

I thought both his F4 and FF were pretty bad, but FF had the benefit of better art and a lot of whimsy/some occasionally charming sequences. His F4 seemed like it was a high concept he got bored with in like two and a half issues. Also not really caring about past characterization is more glaring when it's really well established famous characters versus the Future Foundation crew.

You know a F4 run isn't living up to expectations (see Millar/Hitch) when the last couple of issues might as well be credited to Manny Hands.

Yeah, I agree about FF also. Of course I love Allred, and it did have many great character moments, but I thought all the stuff wiith Doom the annihilating conqueror and going to Uatu's planet in the last 5-6 issues was super boring. That's a book that I feel actually would've been better if it didn't have a plot and was just "weird poo poo happened in this issue I don't know".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I liked the way Gillen wrote Namor, and the post-AvX Doctor Manhattan issue is awesome, but I don't think any other part of his run was very good. Like the arc with Mister Sinister's weird city was loving garbage.

• Locked thread