Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Howard Mackie's Spiderman run in the 90's-2000's.

You couldn't even blame this all on the Clone Saga, as his run continued after the fact and poo poo up Spiderman was "Chapter One". There was a LOT that Mackie did wrong (to say nothing of the fact that rumors were he was the writer of Brotherhood named "X" because his reputation was so bad at that point), but nothing was worse than this issue:

They had been hinting at the secret identity of the Green Goblin who had been hanging around Norman Osborn, but Mackie had apparently forgotten about it and was getting pissed off that people wouldn't shut up about it, so he revealed the identity: A clone of a clone of no one.

When his mask is taken off, he turns into six different people and then disintegrates, the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Wanderer posted:

Power Pack.

I recently bought the "Inferno Crossover" omnibus (It was like 10 bucks on ebay), and they threw in some Power Pack issues that were BANANAS.

Power Pack's parents discover their secret identities and it drives them insane, like not just angry, but literally unable to function, drooling on the floor insane. Then an alien or something shows up and convinces the parents that Power Pack are actually clones of their children and not actually them, instantly reverting them back to normal.

The Pack can never reveal their secret to their parents as it will drive them to madness.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Realism posted:

Steve Englehart's run of Silver Surfer issues 1-35.

He had an issue where Galactus was fist-fighting In-Betweener in space

This has to be one of the worst comic issues I've ever read

I...kind of think this is metal as gently caress.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
I know that Devin Grayson's Nightwing run will be mentioned, but that pales in comparison to the awfulness of her Ghost Rider mini series, Hammer Lane.

Yes, he is wearing a Cashmere sweater throughout the entire series. Also take note of the horrible artwork.

I can still remember that I was 13 when this came out and read an interview with her in Wizard about this series. I swear the interviewer asked her,

"So what attracted you to Ghost Rider?"
"Well, I like motorcycles."
"Are you familiar with the character?"
"No."

And holy poo poo does it show. This was the first series where Marvel brought back Johnny Blaze as Ghost Rider, with absolutely no explanation as to what happened to Danny Ketch or how Blaze became Ghost Rider again. The entire series is literally just showing how loving rad motorcyclists are and how strong their community is, and then Ghost Rider forgives a guy for killing a ton of his friends, after having himself killed a poo poo ton of people.

It was bad. It was so bad.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Man, this entire thread could just stand as a monument to Chuck Austen and his horrific run on Xmen.

Nurse Annie, the worst character, falling in love with Havok when he was in a coma. Husk revealing that mutants can't get aids, which everyone apparently knew all along! Jubilee standing over Skin's grave and talking about how much she wanted to gently caress him.

The cherry on top of this poo poo sundae is that at the time of Xmen 2's dvd release, Austen was the one writing the most Nightcrawler, so they interviewed him about Nightcrawler and what made him special, and he starts off by saying, "Well one of Nightcrawler's lesser known mutant powers is that he has two dicks."

E: I had always wondered what the hell happened to Chuck Austen and never knew that he had been blacklisted from DC after retailers outright refused to buy his books after the X-Men run. Probably one of the only good things Didio ever did.

E the Shaggy fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 31, 2013

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Gavok posted:

Venom just came back after two years of zero comic book appearances (shocking in its own right) and insisted on joining the Sinister Six. They didn't take kindly to this and betrayed him. Venom decided that he was going to pick them off and kill them one by one. Spider-Man would try to fight them both off and stop anyone from dying. Any capable writer could turn that into a really cool story. Not only did Mackie fumble around on it, such as the issue where Venom "killed" Sandman, but he didn't have a single ending in mind. Venom just kind of stopped with no explanation.

Oh man, that reminds me of the horrible "Evil Senator" arc during Mackie's run, since I think the Senator was responsible for Venom loving off.

He kept building this senator for SO long (Had to be at least 30 issues over all the Spider titles, again and again and again. Every single issue seemed to end with "Who is the Senator? Why is he so evil? What is his origin? How will Spiderman defeat him?"

Then it was just dropped completely.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Pierson posted:

Now all I read is Saga and Fletcher Hanks. Thanks, Ultimates volume 3. :argh:

Read Daredevil and Hawkeye.

The most insane part of Ultimates 3 was the very beginning of it, where the team is discussing how Tony is pretty much shattered after Black Widow betrayed the team WHILE WATCHING THE SEX VIDEO THE TWO OF THEM MADE...IN FRONT OF TONY.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
I figure it's time to delve into the big one:

Joe Quesada's Spiderman

Something strange happened with Spiderman around the time of the Clone Saga. The character isn't a vehicle for good stories anymore, its a vehicle for spectacle. Rather than hire on folks to write good stories, its all about EVENTS! NEW COSTUMES! CLONES! DEALS WITH SATAN!

When I say Joe Quesada's Spiderman run, I'm talking about all the editorial poo poo he pulled during JMS' run, and then every time he wrote/created a story following it.

When JMS thought of the idea of revealing that Gwen Stacy had Peter's secret children, Quesada thought that Peter having children was a terrible idea, but rather than scrap the story, they just replaced Peter with Norman Osborn, effectively destroying the character of Gwen Stacy. Gwen Stacy was now the girl who hosed her friend's, Harry, dad while he was going through withdrawals because she was attracted to Norman's "magnetism" Christ. We also got Norman (AND THE loving GREEN GOBLIN'S) "Oh face":

But really, having Gwen Stacy secretly gently caress Norman Osborn wasn't what was destroying the Spiderman book, it was the marriage! The marriage to Mary Jane was making Peter old and unrelatable and this simply couldn't happen (Meanwhile, a 50 year old obese super villain is residing in Peter's body, which I think we all can relate to). So the idea was created to get rid of the marriage, but how?

Peter and Mary Jane divorcing would make Peter seem old. Killing Mary Jane off would make Peter a widow and make him old. So the logical course was taken, Peter would make a deal with the devil. Mephisto was brought in to offer Peter one of the most convulted deals in the history of comics, that ended up working out for all parties involved. Divorce is wrong kids, but making deals with the devil is totally awesome! To say nothing of the fact that JMS had actually created the perfect out that didn't involve the devil. During his run, Loki became indebted to Spiderman and owed him a favor, but since Loki was being used elsewhere, the idea was shot down.

So the deal was made, Peter's identity is made secret again (which wasn't revealed how until years later) and the marraige was done away with.

Then came "OMIT - One Moment in Time" where its explained that Peter originally missed his marriage day with Mary Jane because a fat guy landed on him.

Like...how can you even make this poo poo up and think its a good idea? At the same time, in the present, Peter is talking with Mary Jane about why they never got married, and its because Mary Jane would only get married if she could have kids and she couldn't have kids if Peter was Spiderman and is your head exploding yet? OMIT also showed how Mary Jane had tricked Mephisto with the deal by making it so that the deal actually never happened or something...There's just nothing worse in comics.

E the Shaggy fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 31, 2013

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Gavok posted:

I'll list the main points of what was wrong with it, but first a quick look at what goes down. The first five issues are a knockoff of John Carpenter's the Thing.

It's not even a knockoff of the Thing, it IS the Thing. It's literally the exact same plot, beat for beat, except with the symbiote as the Thing.

This was during that weird time in the early 2000's where Marvel was copying movie scripts down to the letter, ie Identity Disc being the Usual Suspects but with super villains.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

thebardyspoon posted:

Those hand leech things were way creepier to me as a kid than just a regular vampire biting people would have been.

I thought it essentially made Morbius a non-threat. Whenever the ambulance would find his victims, they would be sure to yell in the camera,

"HE'S UNCONCIOUS BUT HE'LL BE FINE IN A FEW HOURS."

Did Spidey need to go after a guy who induced naps?

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
I know that particular Dr Strange was weak, but drat it, I stand behind Midnight Sons being :metal101:

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Anyone have that page from the Avengers Fear Itself tie in where you can switch the characters' dialogue boxes and nothing is different.

That whole "Real World confessional" poo poo was the absolute worst.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Re: The Hood. In Brian K. Vaughn's original mini where he debuted, Parker Robbins was an rear end in a top hat, pure and simple, but he was complicated. He had a conscious and, while being a kind of dumb piece of crap, he was a kind of dumb piece of crap who had a girlfriend, daughter, and dementia stricken mother to feed. He was a thug, but he knew right from wrong. This is a guy who accidentally kills and cop and it tears him apart inside.

Cue Bendis. The Hood is now running a giant gang of super criminals and is killing/maiming/feeding people to wolves(!), getting power ups from Loki/Dormammu/ and even the INFINITY GAUNTLET (which he is smart enough to steal from the Illuminati).

But that was Bendis' problem as someone mentioned earlier, he had an idea for a character in his head, and just so happened to use a character who was made to fit into his idea.

God drat did he waste Noh-Varr.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
The best/worst part of Age of Ultron was when Bendis decides to show the plight of a family in Austin smack dab in the middle of the story, which is never mentioned again and was never mentioned until they showed up.

"We have to leave Texas!"
"Oh no Ultron is attacking!"

Yeah, we got all that. We had that hammered into our heads for three issues.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

Why is Daniel Way given books?

Marvel shitcanned him when Thunderbolts was universally panned.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
How do you talk about Kelly's run and not mention MANITOU?

Also asked to be a member of the team for no reason (after having killed the Justice League the first time)

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
I had forgotten how many times they killed off Aquaman during that time. 3?

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Look at Reed's loving face in that picture. HE'S INTO IT.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
I totally forget why Darkhawk was part of that mess.

Seriously, gently caress that book for killing off Mettle, one of the most interesting characters from Avengers Academy.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
"Don't just stand there, Benjamin!"

A+ caliber writing right there.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Mr. Maltose posted:

Fear Itself was a Thor/ Cap crossover that got ballooned hideously by editorial.

Man was it ever. The amount of tie ins to that book was insane.

Back to the New 52, I absolutely cannot stand what they've done with Superman. Turning him into this brash rear end in a top hat who "punches first and asks questions later" instead of this hopeful superhero which everyone can find strength in. There was to be this reverence that the super hero community had for Superman, where they thought of him as the best of them, where when he landed at the scene everyone just went silent.

Now its just basically, "Superman's here, USE YOUR HEAT VISION AND SCOWL!"

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

redbackground posted:

Weren't those Superman's exact first actions in JL #1 when it came to meeting Hal for the first time?

Yeah, essentially everything outside of Morrison and Pak's stuff paints him this way.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

McSpanky posted:

"Pleeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaase take Cyborg seriously as a JLA Big Seven member???"

"Oh hey Cyborg, seems kind of cool. Where can I buy his book?"
"Oh we don't have a book for Cyborg. Would never sell, but hey, why not try out JLA's Vibe!"

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
I thought Dirt Nap had been created originally for that AWFUL Venom/Wolverine mini series where Venom is a skateboarder.

Surprise! Both written by Hama.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Defalco's run had the Thing Helmet, the boob window, and Hyperstorm.

It's no contest.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Chris Claremont's first arc of Nightcrawler will be Kurt being kidnapped by sex pirates.

"Yar! Put Mr. Wagner in his own slave outfit to show him what for!"
"My name is Kurt Wagner. I'm an X-Man. I was born to the supervillain known as Mystique and have the ability to teleport within range of anything I can see. I was dead for a little while after having been impaled by Nimrod. It was only when I was saved from death by my fellow X-Men that I find myself in the situation I'm in now. None of that matters though, I can feel the pirates' mind control begin to take effect!"

All in one panel.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Sage is in the background of that panel.

"I'm the best there is at what I do, and what I do is EVERYTHING EVER!"
-Sage

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
There is no bottom floor of hell the New 52.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
The X-Men line really reeked of, and continues to, things happen because the writer wants them to happen and gently caress if they need to make sense.

Kitty joins Cyclops' team because Bendis wanted it to happen (she's pissed that Wolverine's team didn't listen to her or something). The original 5 stay in this timeline, and were brought into this timeline despite potentially completely loving up the timeline, because they're a neat concept and who gives a poo poo. Cyclops is an outlaw because the writers think its cool that he's Wolverine now and vice versa (Scott killed Professor X while being mind controlled by Phoenix. I feel like every loving X-Man has killed someone while being mind controlled at one point, but in Scott's case, gently caress it he's BANISHED.)

Not to mention, the future X-Men's timeline is really dumb. I thought that Age of Ultron would sort of get the ball rolling on putting an end to time travel, but its just opened it up to happen in every single Marvel book.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
The whole Phoenix has affected Cyclops and others powers makes no sense. Magneto is somehow affected, even though he was never possessed yet Namor, who was, is totally fine.

Bendis tries to hand wave it away by saying "well, magneto was close to them" but so was nearly every other X person.

Also, how the gently caress does Cyclops' new mask work exactly? The big red X on his face doesn't even cover his eyes.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
The two worst parts about the Mackie's run that I remember, and man oh man were there a bunch, was Peter deciding to be homeless instead of asking Aunt May if he can crash on the couch or something and the secret identity of the new Green Goblin.

Peter fights the new Goblin, who had been appearing for a good year or two in story lines, rips off the mask and reveals it's....IT'S...

NORMAN....No, HARRY....No, a clone of Harry...No, its a clone of no one! Literally, he goes, "I'm nobody" then melts.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
What Raab did was turn Kyle Rayner into Hal Jordan, and in order to fix this, they brought back Hal Jordan.

Just :psyduck: on every level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Would folks agree that Fraction's Fantastic Four should be in here? Not his FF though.

• Locked thread