Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
True, and Nightcrawler was Jesuit as all hell. I remember the issue where he tracked down Scalphunter working in a lovely diner in New Mexico and spent weeks disguised as a priest just talking to him. Eventually he attacks Scalphunter and reveals those weeks were just Nightcrawler explaining why he wouldn't kill him, despite wanting to so badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The X-men tie in book is fun for seeing Utopia devise increasingly badass attempts to stop Juggernaut, including letting Gambit turn Rockslide into a running bomb. And Adam X just setting him on fire over and over.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Gatts posted:

When you say Adam X, do you mean The Xtreme?

EDIT: YOU DO! Hahahah!

poo poo like that was why the X-men tie in was pretty much the only good Fear Itself book.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

The Question IRL posted:

Yeah it was a "major" threat that was written that could defeat the JLA, but was set up so this bland of plucky under dog heroes could beat.(It was a trick that Grant Morrison would use to the same effect in Seven Soldiers. And frankly I think it sucked then and it sucks in L.A.W.)

Man with opinions like that L.A.W may actually be a good book because c'mon.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

prefect posted:

There is some value in spiting Claremont. :)

Not on that. Like, of all the good x-stuff that we can trace to Claremont (and that's a lot of good stuff) Magneto as noble villain and witness to the ultimate in mans inhumanity to man is the biggest.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Depends on what you want rising.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The idea of John Byrne running characters into the ground because of tiny slights is completely in character so yeah I could see that.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Lurdiak posted:

Whedon was garbage, the art completely carried his lovely run.

Yeah. Whedon on X-Men was okay. Whedon on Runaways was wasted paper.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Supreme Power Nighthawk was middling at best. What if Batman could kill people? He kills the Joker. Cool.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Sorry, Obsidian Age was the greatest long form Superfriends joke ever written. Manitou Raven was okay.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Also Justice League Elite was cool because from the beginning you could see how 90'S XTREME black ops League could never work but all the characters involved try and make it work 100 percent.

You can do a hell of a lot worse with comics than Kelley's JLA.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
In the Obsidian Age trades, Kelley cops that the entire storyline was thought up so he could make the Inuk-chuk joke.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Not to mention Kelley not only wrote an arc that asks "So, we've had Superman going over the line and Batman going over the line. What if Martian Manhunter went too far?" but answers it with Plastic Man being both an excellent father and the savior of the world. Kelley did great work with most of the JLA roster, but his Plastic Man is wonderful.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
He was pretty cool, and was pretty low key and sincere in wanting to do good. He was in the ill fated Elite team and ended up retiring from super heroics after that all went to hell. Of course he was then killed in Infinite Crisis.

It's kind of cool how Kelley's JLA has a sort of "overarch" about how heroes should be heroes that sort of starts in What's Wrong About Truth Justice and The American Way.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yeah, creepy Mary Marvel was all Didio's show.

loving Countdown, man.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
And he's not just talking about Desaad. Final Crisis may have suffered for the meta-narrative it used, but that line is pretty drat sharp.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

The Question IRL posted:

Hang on, now maybe I missed some stuff. (I did really hate Final Crisis) but I thought one of the things about Mary Marvel was she was supposed to be a commentary on the modern medias sexualised portrayal/ image of teen girls. In particular the shaved head look was supposed to be referencing Britney Spears.

(Which even during the 2008 Final Crisis would have been a dated reference. But that's Grant Morrison for you, his knowledge/ understanding of modern culture after 90's rave culture, is that of someone who has had it explained to them, instead of experiencing it.)

I took Mary Marvel versus Supergirl as some sort of really creepy "don't worry. Teenager over sexualised and looking for attention girl is defeated by someone who represents a chaste and sexless ideal of teenage girls."

You should probably read it again, but you also didn't like Seven Soldiers so you might want to not bother if that's how you look at Morrison.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Considering how 52 and the fallout thereafter played out it's pretty understandable that Morrison was cagey about how things might happen with Final Crisis. Still a dick move, but a dick move in a hostile environment.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Fear Itself was a Thor/ Cap crossover that got ballooned hideously by editorial.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I mean, we're discussing a character who is by his own admission dumber than a guacamole.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yeah, in the Lee/Kirby FF Reed's patriarch stance was supposed to be a character flaw, but it was never really hit hard enough to make it go past problematic.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Dan Didio posted:

I really want a full-on, no bullshit Exiles reboot.

We had X-treme X-men, which only lasted for, what, 10 amazing issues? It had the best alternate Wolverine and a cool Nightcrawler.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Who the hell is Omertà?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Kyle had a lot more personality than Hal, but a lot of that stems from being in some of the strongest JLA runs around. If Morrison, Waid, and Kelly can't make you an interesting character there's not much hope for you.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Nah. It just see that way because, well, Hickman's run.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I'm surprised anyone can muster the investment to hate or love Bendis' Uncanny. It's such a middling book.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Mohawk Storm rules and sudden background competency isn't just a problem with Storm, or even Claremont. poo poo's just part of the big two.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Dacap posted:

I think Liefeld got famous too early in his development as a artist and just kinda stagnated as a result. There's other artists who drew in similar styles around that time who developed into good, respected artists over time.

I'm sure everyone's heard the Liefeld art class story, right?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It was a bit more politic than that. The teacher said that the class was focused on amateur art and that Liefeld probably wouldn't get much out of it, if I recall correctly. Presumably this was before Rob turned in any assignments.

EDIT: The reality is probably somewhere between the two extremes, but I doubt we'll ever honestly know. I'm reminded of Frazetta's story of being told to learn anatomy, which prompted him to copy out a medical text and come back to work the next day saying he'd learned anatomy much to his superior's amusement.

Mr. Maltose fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 27, 2014

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yeah, the richest guy in the room makes himself into "the hero we deserve", ignores the laws but enforces them upon everyone else, and sets up a total panopticon by ignoring the idea that someone else could have a right to privacy. But it's okay because he's fighting the sneakiest snake guys and when that mission is accomplished it'll be turned right off honest.

There's no political allegory there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Obviously we haven't found the Joker that is terrorism yet, okay? It is a work in progress.

• Locked thread