Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Realism posted:

Larry Hama's run on Wolverine after The Lazarus Project, he was doing quite well up until then, I don't know what happened....everything seems to just go downhill.

And I don't even know how you can write bad stories on a guy like Wolverine, I mean....that's gotta take some skills.

Alan Grant's run on Shadow of the Bat and Batman. The Last Arkham is one of the best Batman stories ever, so it was quite shocking for me to see that his other stories were drastically different from The Last Arkham, they were corny, campy, just plain stupid and nonsensical at times.

Dan Slott's run on Superior Spider-Man has to be one of the worst right now.

Jeph Loeb on Red Hulk was pretty bad too.

Funny you should ask that, because I actually have the answer to this question. I remember reading an interview where Larry Hama stated offhand that he really enjoyed writing for Wolverine, but the run became a victim of its own success. Once Marvel noticed that his run was making a lot of money, His editors started micromanaging every issue he wrote because they were afraid he might do something too weird with an important property. As you can guess this had the opposite effect and his run crashed and burned shortly afterwords. Hama's run has less to do with his writing skills and more to do with the fact that comic book companies only seem comfortable with giving writers complete freedom if they are a known superstar.

As for terrible runs, I like to think of JMS's run on superman where some lady yells at him for not saving her son/family member/I forget because he was too busy fighting dudes in space/saving the universe from galactic threats. Superman's solution? Walk across America and get in touch with the common man. At least, I think that was JMS's intention anyway. What his run is really about is Superman walking around and being a smug, condescending douche to anybody unfortunate enough to cross his path. This run is not only JMS at his worst, but Superman at his worst outside of the old superdickery comics.

However, nothing beats Jeff Loeb's run on the Ultimates after Millar left the book. Say what you will about Millar (and believe me, a lot can be said), but he and Brian Michael Bendis helped set a consistent tone for the Ultimate universe and set a lot of its rules. However, in one run, Loeb pretty much dealt the Ultimate universe a blow that it has never really recovered from. Long story short, Loeb wrote the Ultimate characters like regular marvel characters, Magneto used magnetism to melt the polar ice caps and killed most of the world's population, the human torch DROWNED, the Blob became a cannibal and ate The Wasp, and the Ultimate universe went from a more modern and darker take on Marvel superheroes to over the top awfultown. I think it was this run that really cemented Loeb as a writer that destroyed everything he touched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread