Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Just like almost every book modern Jeph Loeb has done, his "Sabertooth Reborn" storyline on Wolverine starting at #310 is completely godawful, one of the worst runs I've ever read. After Wolverine killed Sabretooth, Loeb decided to bring him back in order to "improve" on Wolverine's origin. Instead of just being a regular mutant, Loeb decided it would be cooler if Wolverine and Sabretooth were actually part of a race of super-evolved wolf people (:psyduck:) and Wolverine himself started Weapon X, put himself through the program (:psypop:), and then intentionally got his memories wiped by Romulus, an immortal evolved wolf-person/crime lord/former Roman emperor (with psychic powers and super-healing and FOUR claws because he's Ultra Wolverine man!) who looked like this:

The entire story was completely incomprehensible and promptly ignored (and retconned, I hope) by every writer afterward. Even then, the worst thing about the story was how plainly poorly-written it was. Almost every single speech bubble is cringeworthy, and every issue had the most cliched, hackneyed narration running throughout. It reads like horrible Wolverine fanfiction, only the author is a paid, respected member of the industry who somehow keeps getting work instead of a fifth grader trying to write the raddest Wolverine story ever.

The only real saving grace is Simone Bianchi's artwork, and even that is hindered by the dark, muddy, too-airbrushed coloring Bianchi likes using for some reason.

HorseRenoir fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jul 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Redeye Flight posted:

Good Christ. So this is the source of that moment in the Badass thread when Nightcrawler teleports a shark inside the Blob? I'd be perfectly happy to lose that if it meant none of that other nonsense happened.

Nope, that was AoA Blob, not Ultimate Blob. Cannibalism seems to be a running theme with the character.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
A recurring theme I've noticed in Bendis' X-Men run (including BOTA) is how haphazardly things feel thrown together without any real planning or thought put into anything. Most of his run just feels like Bendis going through a laundry list of ideas that he liked without thinking if anything made sense or was necessary.

"Beast is dying! Why? I liked his old look better! Scott's team's powers are on the fritz! How come? I dunno, something with AVX I guess? Now the Original 5 are back! It makes no sense and isn't consistent with how time travel works in Marvel? Too bad, I wanna write the O5! Did I mention that time travel is now negatively affecting the present, but only when the O5 die? This doesn't even make sense within the logic of my own story but I need to up the stakes somehow! Now the X-Men from the future are here... but they're evil! Why are they evil? I dunno, an explosion happened or something! More X-men from the future! I won't really develop any of these characters but I assure you that the future you only see a couple pages of is really cool! Also SHIELD has Sentinels again! Isn't that so kooky and mysterious? And now Kitty and the O5 are joining Cyclops! Why would they do this? So I can write more Schism of course!"

Aaron might have written parts of BOTA, but the execution feels eerily similar to Bendis' Age of Ultron. The first half sets up an interesting premise and goes absolutely nowhere with it, then the second half throws a bunch of underdeveloped ideas at you to compensate, without anything interesting of note actually happening. The story keeps focusing in the least interesting aspect of the premise (People moping around in rubble and the X-Men having a stupid "Is taking our past selves to the future and constantly putting them in life-threatening situations a bad idea?" argument) and the ending is anti-climactic and really makes no sense other than a desperate attempt to convince people that the boring event they read actually mattered.

I guess what I'm saying is gently caress Bendis and his plodding, nonsensical, over-indulgent X-Men run. Aaron can be seriously hit or miss but the Bendis books have really made me grow to appreciate his stuff a lot more.

• Locked thread