Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Spoilers Below posted:

You forgot the best part:

Okay, it's definitely a bit out of character for Wolverine to say it, but I'd have to see it in context to get a better idea. Like I could see Wolverine saying something like this, just to be the voice of opposition to an idea, since Wolverine does that all the time. And despite what that article says, I never saw Wolverine as an atheist. Oh sure, he's a cynic and may be down on organized religion, but the man has lived long enough that he would have to pick up some form of spirituality. (If nothing else then from his time spent in Japan.)
I think the best quote to sum up Wolverine would be from Pitch Black

"Got it all wrong, Holy Man. I absolutely believe in God....And I hate the fucker."

As for the panel, while on the one hand it's pretty dumb....on the other hand. Giant Space Gods DID land on Marvel Earth and start blasting rays at the ground until normals, Deviants and Eternals emerged. Hell, one of them is just standing around in San Fransisco.

And then like years later, a bunch of blue and pink aliens tried to copy the space gods and the Inhumans were created. Inteligent Design is something that isn't so far fetched in the MU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Or is it Sputnik posted:

Or you could just get the "Clone Saga Mini-series" by esteemed messrs. DeFalco and Mackie, "Clone Saga how it was meant to be told" according to DeFalco. Apparently Mackie didn't read that memo either, because it was just re-telling the exact same story in six issues instead of 100+. Everything is exactly the same (albeit compressed like whoa) until last two issues where we learn that

- Norman Osborn Green Goblin is actually the stooge of Mystery Villain
- Harry Osborn is the Mystery Villain
- Ben Reilly doesn't die
- baby May lives

the end! Basically DeFalco and Mackie thought for 13 years about what went wrong and then realized "nothing major, really".

Yeah I imagine there are plenty of Spidey fans who'd want Peter + MJ still married with baby Mayday and Ben Reilly still around. Rocking that Spider-Mullet, using Impact Webbing and Stingers.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

The best part of the clone saga was the little family thing they had going on. :3:

Yeah seeing Peter and Ben webswigning side by side, in that Mark Bagely artwork is one of the images that just sticks with me as being awesome. Even to this day, seeing two people webswing in one page always makes me smile. Whether it's Spidey and Venom doing it, or Peter and Kaine. I'm looking forward to seeing Spock and Kaine doing it in the upcoming crossover.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

thebardyspoon posted:

Those hand leech things were way creepier to me as a kid than just a regular vampire biting people would have been.

Moebius also went around draining people's "plasma" instead of their blood. Pro-tip, draining people's plasma but not their blood would be way worse for them, since he's filtering off part of the blood and leaving other stuff behind.

I also loved how they portrayed the Punisher in that one. Particularly the scene where he's in his Battle Van, :allears:, talking to Microchip, :allears:, and decides to hunt down Spider-Man. And as soon as he picks up a Stinger missle launcher, this alarm goes off saying LETHAL WEAPON and Microchip says
"Frank, don't do it."

That just cracks me up.

Edit: Found a clip of it here at the 1.30 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wppFZis3PgQ

Man, the Punisher in that cartoon was really well done.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I do think this is funny.

The Badass Thread got derailed by people arguing about really bad comics. So we go and create a bad comics thread to deal with that. And then people spend their time talking about awesome cartoons in the bad comics thread.

Okay, to get this thing back on track. There are two kind of bad comics. The Objectively bad ones, and subjectively bad ones. This is one of the later, a comic that made me unbelievably angry when I read it.

So a little backstory. Deadpool was a comic that had been running for years, but it needed to be rebooted alongside Cable and X-Force. Rumour has it that due to a lawsuit with Rob Leifield, Marvel cancelled those three titles and rebranded them just on the off chance they lost the lawsuit. (Spoiler Warning: If there was a lawsuit, Marvel won it.)

So Deadpool ends and is replaced with Agent X. Basically this scared guy with amnesia calling himself Alex Hayden with a badass healing factor shows up. Is he Deadpool with amnesia, or someone else, it's not clear. But for some reason he really, REALLY wants to be a Merc, so he ends up finding a woman called Sandi. Sandi was a woman that Taskmaster had basically botched a job to save because he was in love with her. In the end Sandi, Taskmaster, Outlaw and Alex decide to form a merc group called Agency X.

They have some whacky adventures, but as it goes along there's a group dynamic.
Sandi is basically a bit of a crazy, pixie girl but she runs the team. She is a pacifist.
Alex is in love with Outlaw, but he keeps screwing things up.
Taskmaster is in love with Sandi and super over protective of her.

Got that? Good. All goes fine, until Gail Simone left the comic after issue 8 (which if you included her Deadpool issues, is about a 20 or so issue run.) We get two fill in issues by a Comic Message Board moderator, then a two parter by a guy called Evan Dorkin.
The issue opens with Alex coming back from killing a cult where he runs into Taskmaster. You know the way Taskmaster is a badass super competent, martial arts/trainer guy? Nope not here. He's just getting drunk, watching wrestling and acting all passive aggressive towards Alex.

So yeah the super protective boyfriend has sent his untrained/ pacifist girlfriend to go kill someone.
He then gets into a truley lame fight with Alex which only gets interrupted when Sandi calls base asking for help. Only Taskmaster can't help, since he easily gets his rear end kicked by Alex (which is the first time this has happened in the series), and he decides to stay at home and mope while Alex helps out his girlfriend.

Alex goes to meet Sandi expecting to see her in mortal peril. Instead, he finds out she's just crying because this whole killing people thing is hard and she wants his help. Then this happens.

So dear viewer, you might be wondering what happens after two of the main characters just randomly hook up in a completely Out of Character manner and destroy the title's inter personal dynamic. Honestly I'm not sure, as my eyes went green like the Incredible Hulk and I walk up later in the middle of New Mexico. As far as I could remember the rest of the storyline was about Alex trying to kill a Superman pastiche called Fite Man. And his version of Lois Lane really hated him and wanted to get his super powers. I don't know, I just found the whole thing dumb.

Now I can accept that I viewed this as one of the worst comic story lines ever, but that's just my opinion. It's also probably because I really just loved Agent X and it's cast of characters. I can accept that SOME people find this a good story.

For my next entry though, I'm going to select something that genuinely could not be described by anyone as being a good story.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

So I intended to talk about an example of an Objectively bad comic. My mistake was in re-reading the series, I was reminded how awful it is, and the only way to do proper Justice to it will be to do an issue by issue break down of it. Stand by.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I Before E posted:

Given the capitalized words in this post, I assume it's a Question comic, but what Question comic could it be? Was the Rick Veitch mini really that bad?

You are right to look at the capitalization as a clue, just wrong with your guess.

I'll put up my thoughts in about an hour or so.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I Before E posted:

I had completely forgot about Living Assault Weapons. Man. At least that's what I'm assuming it is, because it can't be the O'Neill series, because that ruled.

Ding ding!

So what is L.A.W? Well during 1999 DC decided that it was time for those squares in the JLA to stand aside and give the Charleton Heroes a shot at things! Yeah it was a "major" threat that was written that could defeat the JLA, but was set up so this bland of plucky under dog heroes could beat.(It was a trick that Grant Morrison would use to the same effect in Seven Soldiers. And frankly I think it sucked then and it sucks in L.A.W.)

Oh it stands for Living Assault Weapons. And it means that a number of the issues have titles which are terrible puns on the word law, like "Martial L.A.W" or "L.A.W......and Order!"

So like I said, this series focused on the Charleton Heroes so the cast is made up of Blue Beetle (Ted Kord) The Question, Judomaster, Captain Atom, Peacemaker and Nightshade. Each issue has one of the cast on the cover. So it's going to be like Watchmen, only worse.

So the series has all kinds of baffling changes and more or less completely ignores the Danny O' Neil Question series. That series had Vic become a kind of travelling Zen crime fighter who left his cesspool of a city after it broke him down. He then made a new life with his romantic interest and her child, who died in this incredibly hard to read story* (it was later retconed by Greg Rucka. Largely because I think he felt that it was just too drat bleak.)

None of that is apparent in this series. It starts with Vic back working as a TV Reporter. He's reporting the news on the JLA getting their rear end kicked. Then at the end of the report storms back to Hub City to get some answers. Hub City in O' Neil's series was like Gotham during No Man's Land....all the time. Here it's just shown as basically a normal city.

I also think this page is worth putting up, since I find it hilarious. I know the JLA are supposed to be reacting to the Moon Quake, but their speech panel makes them look like they are scared.

So some evil badguy called the Avatar is attacking military places, sealing the JLA in forcefields, sucking Captain Atom into his sword (yeah the guy who is a big player in this story, spend most of it trapped.) Blue Bettle and Question (who are now best mates...for some reason) decide to team up.
The Peace Project recruit Commander Steel and some guy called Peacemaker who has a awful costume.
Then Nightshade gets introduced in a manner which features the greatest on page exorcism ever seen in comics.

Yeah that's the best way to exorcise a Sucubus. Rip off the girls clothes. Also bonus 90's points for including FATE!

So the series then ends with the last member of the "team" Judomaster chilling in Nanda Parabat. He's basically told he has to go out into the world to atone for a past mistake in a manner of someone who won't tell the person what they've done wrong just to go out there and fix it. And so DC's version of Iron-fist goes out to rejoin the world and get his rear end kicked.

And that's how issue 1 ends.

I suppose the series isn't the worst thing ever. It just felt really retro and twee, even in the 90's. It's definitely not objectively bad, but I just wanted to pun around as it was the worst Question story I ever read, as it more or less ignored all the work Danny O' Neil had done with Vic.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Mr. Maltose posted:

Man with opinions like that L.A.W may actually be a good book because c'mon.

I straight up didn't like Seven Soldiers. And in particular how it ends was part of my problem with it.

"Ha ha! This Faerie Queen has a spell on her that means she can only be killed by a team of exactly seven people. But any team that tries to fight her breaks down and they turn on each other. It's an unbeatable contradiction!"

And then she's defeated in the most Cluedo esc, Rube Goldsberg type manner. And to make it worse, one of the team (I think it was Frankenstien) ended up doing something different that made it seem like he wasn't even a part of the team at all.

And then the whole thing with Superman.

Argh, just....I didn't like it.

Random Stranger posted:

Fate could quality as a Worst Run all on his own. He's the XTREME 90's version of Dr. Fate.

But is L.A.W. really worse than Extreme Justice?

It is and it isn't/ At it's worst, Extreme Justice has truely awful art and random deaths.
But it also has gloriously dumb stuff like Amazing Man calling Maxima out on the fact that she is just fetishing him, or the series ending with the main villain making a dumb face or how Blue Bettle defeating a bunch of lame villains using some Spider-Man's webshoters*.

L.A.W. doesn't have any of that. It's just dull. It's got a few few good bits which I'll post, and very few awful bits but nothing else. And really I guess that's what makes it bad. It plays it safe. It just not......EXTREME enough.
(Jumps through a plate glass window while firing two pistols, wearing a trench coat and saying 'While Solo lives...TERROR DIES!')

*= Spidey is of course committed to never making money off his webshooters. That's why he gave them to Ted Kord. No chance of any profit being turned by them.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Okay since the last one proved popular enough back to the LAW.

Just for you keeping track, the first issue had Blue Beetle on the cover. This one has the Question. At no point in this series does the story focus on the person who is on the cover of the series.

Right so issue two opens with a recap and an explanation of the main badguy the Avatar. He's got a load of magic artefacts that let him open portals, summon demons and use magic axes to capture people. Also he's got a whole Indian Mythology thing going on. But more on that later. Oh he also regularly surrounds himself with children, hates the military industrial complex and sees himself as a hero and the military as villains.

He's transferred Capitan Atom from the axe he was caught in to a crystal prison. The more Atom struggles the faster his energy drains. Cap is also being used as a battery to keep the Justice League imprisoned on the moon. Que evil cackling.
Up next The Question and the Blue Beetle try and track down the Avatar, and well this happens.

*Sigh* you stay classy 1999.

The story then cuts back to Sgt. Steele and Peacemaker Project. Who are they you ask?
Well kids, the down side of buying another comic company is you get all their IP. And invariably that means you get your own set of grizzled soldiers who served in World War 2, a macho super spy and a good guy spy organization. Seriously every universe has it's own Nick Fury derivative. He's one of the most popular comic archetypes after Superman and Batman. right so Steele is introduced to the head of the Peacemaker Project, a woman called...you know what. I'm just going to put this page here.

Immediately hitting on the new guy, that's real professional Justine.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention, when Steele was taking the train to Peacemaker Project HQ in issue one, the compound was being attacked by Avatar's demons, and Steele's metal hand got destroyed. This serves two plot points. Now Sgt. Steele needs a new hand. And in every single issue Peacemaker HQ seems to be invaded and attacked by demons. I realize it's hard to keep out guys who can cross dimensions, but this is a bit sloppy guys.

Okay, I have to post this next bit since it is genuinely one of the coolest parts of the entire book, where Judomaster makes his introduction.

Yeah Blue Beetle's fought alongside Green Lantern, the Flash and Superman but seeing a guy remove a nail without a hammer and his mind is blown.
So The Question, JM and BB escape using the Bug and decide to fly to Peacemaker HQ. We cut back to Nightshade. Remember how Fate's exorcism/ tearing off her dress left her as a featureless Eternity look-a-like? How do you think they resolved that?

Like this.

Bra-vo LAW. Bravo.

Okay I've nearly posted half the issue at this stage. Time to give the cliff notes of the rest of the issue.
Steele goes down to meet up with Peacemaker's medical head, an Indian scientist named Doctor Bhattacarja, who gives him a fully workable robotic hand. Justine keeps hitting on Steele. Steele's friend tells him he should totally sleep with her, regardless of the age difference. Since it's the 90's, man.

Judomaster is amazed at how the world has changed since he's last been in it. It's full of flying bugs, satellites and the Internet. Ted asks "Have you been frozen for decades in a block of ice...being worshipped by Eskimos...something like that?"
The crew fly to Peacemaker HQ, because Sgt. Steele sent them a message, or something.

Nightshade wakes up from her coma with new shadow/dimensional hoping powers and no emotions after her clothes yanking experience. The group meets up in Peacemaker HQ and decide to immediately set out for the Avatar's HQ in India.
Blue Beetle acts like he's a friend of Nightshade, but as far as I knew, they never met one another before this series. I guess, much like Question, they are just friends since they are all Charleton characters.

The team decide to organize a strike on the Avatar's island HQ/ Orphanage (yes he has an orphanage as his HQ. To house all the children he keeps kidnapping.) so it has to be a rescue mission as opposed to a full out military strike.
Then we get the real headshaking bit. It turns out the Avatar has a mole inside Peacemaker. And take a guess who it is?
That's right it's the only other Indian character in the book, Doctor Bhattacarja.
The series ends with Sgt Steele (with his fancy new hand) going down to Director Justine's quarters and immediately getting invited in for sex.

Yeah, that's a good way of field testing it. What's that line from Something, Something Darkside.
"Yeah you might want to practice on a hotdog or something first, so you don't tear your dick off."

And thus ends issue 2. So some bad and some good/funny stuff.
I'm starting to almost change my opinion about this series being awful. However the next few issues quickly switch back to boring.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Hey, he didn't change his name. He re-arranged the letters. You'd have to be some kind of Batman level genius to decode that one. Or anyone who ever played the Dragonlance RPG.

Right, so back to the L.A.W. Issue three (with Peacemaker on the cover.) The Past is Always Present! Oh God bless you Bob Layton and the inventive names you've come up with for comic stories.

The series opens up with Ted Kord having a flash back to his youth fighting alongside the first Blue Beetle.

Ah don't worry Ted, it's just a dream. DC would never let you really die a gruesome death.
After that the entire issue becomes super boring. Most of the L.A.W. team are flying to the Avatar's HQ, while Judomaster bores everyone with stories about his time during World War 2 and his teen sidekick, Tiger.
Nightshade on the other hand is visiting her ambassador uncle. She discovers that a bunch of the guests in the party are secretly demons disguised as humans who she can sniff out with her new powers. She banishes them before teleporting her uncle to safety in Peacemaker HQ.
The highlight of the issue is Steele's reaction to Nightshade teleporting into their HQ.

A bit dramatic? Is there a correct protocol for using teleporting powers?
Anyway the Avatar launches a surprise attack on the L.A.W. team. Somehow he knew they were coming. There's a long, boring fight scene, mainly because it's two jets fighting a bunch of flying demons, with only one hero (Peacemaker) who can actually fly. During the fight Judomaster falls to his apparent death which causes the Avatar to back off.
The heroes land on the island, but can't find Judomaster. The gang are puzzled at what to do next, but the Question figures they have to finish their mission. Oh and he also works out that someone is a traitor.
Back at the Peacemaker HQ (where for some reason Blue Beetle is drawn in the background, making it look like he's in two places at once) the heroes are given another ultimatum by the Avatar, and I don't care. Something about GPS satellites that Ted Kord has built as a kind of super weapon. And how Avatar is relying on his mole to take control of it for him.

The issue ends with the Avatar gloating of his triumph to Captain Atom and Judomaster. And Judomaster realizes the Avatar is actually his young sidekick, Tiger.
Don't worry, next issue has more of the whacky stuff.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

The best part about Children's Crusade is how at the end Scott Summers gives a long speech about how the Scarlet Witch may or may not have been possessed by a mystical force and acted against her will, that doesn't matter. What matters is that she killed people, and she must be made account for what she did.

Then immediately after this Avengers vs. X-Men happens, and that speech never get's brought up again.

I should also point out, that series took years to come out, and still felt really rushed and amateurish. But Alan Heinsberg has TV, and that takes priority. (Largely because it pays more.) It was the same with that Wonder Woman relaunch that he did.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

My favourite part of Age of Ultron is the Taskmaster/Red Hulk/ Black Panther plotline is set up that they are operating on a desperate mission that seems suicidal but if it can be pulled off it will potentially turn the tide.

This I'm fine with, that's a perfect story hook. So Taskmaster, BP and Red Hulk wait for the right moment and when they spot an isolated drone, Red Hulk does a death from above attack to rip off it's head.
But he's not fast enough and drones start converging on their location Red Hulk gets back, throws the drone to Black Panther and Taskmaster and tells them to get out of here, he'll hold off the drones.

And we get the Black Panther death which is dumb, but hey the point stands. He could have been killed by a errant laser blast, or the building partially collapsing, I'm fine with that. From a story telling point of view it makes sense.

What is monumentally dumb is Taskmaster picks up the drone head to continue the mission. People have died, but if he gets the helmet back to base, it'll all be okay.

The next issue Taskmaster runs into Red Hulk who has survived. Rulk flips out that Taskmaster left him behind, he doesn't trust him and then he kills him.

Seriously that's just....nonsensical.

The whole thing doesn't matter anyway. At the end of the issue Rulk, Black Widow and Moonknight show up from the B and C plots to join up with the A plot (some how) and announce the macguffin that Nick Fury had a store house so they can fix everything.

All I will say about Age of Ultron is it had some good spin off books.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Dacap posted:

Yeah, I read that Hawkeye's current costume is from Hitch designing it as an alternate universe costume for AoU but Marvel decided they liked it and brought it into the main universe months ahead of time because AoU was delayed so long. Also he had to redraw the first issues to include Emma Frost because originally it was Prof. X and it was supposed to be released before AvsX

It also has old WW2 Nick Fury in it instead of Nick "could you call me Landfill?" Fury Jr.

And it also had not one but TWO different tie ins, solely designed to explain why heroes were around. (Namely a Superior Tie in to explain why Spider-Man who was acting like Peter was really Otto, and a Fantastic Four tie in to explain why they weren't lost in time/space.)

Funnily enough it probably would have been cheaper to just say "this series was drawn before these books came out, that's why."

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Decius posted:

Stupidity of the whole event and even the book aside, it has a wonderful scene between Reed and Val/Franklin, which alone nearly makes the whole mess of an event worth it.

Is that the one where Reed tells his kids there is no Afterlife. Despite the fact that he's been there on multiple occasions?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

McSpanky posted:

"I am a man of science, there is no eternal soul, when we die that's the end of existence."
"Heya Stretcho, remember that time ya literally went ta Heaven 'n' brought my soul back?"
"Be quiet, Ben, I'm making an overwrought maudlin point about living life to the fullest here."

:cawg:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

IUG posted:

I remember it being an extra feature for the X-Men 2 movie. They asked him if he knew any secrets about the characters that no one else would, and he gave that as an answer. I took this as a truth for a while until I started to really read the comics, and found out who this guy was and what he ended up writing.

As far as I can remember, this was something that either was directly said or heavily hinted at during Chuck Austen's run. (And fun fact, has made it's way into Internet pornography featuring Nightcrawler.)

So it's one of those weird comic facts associated with superhero genitalia that is sort of out there, and isn't likely to get retconned unless people push for a full on frontal nudity/sex filled Marvel comics.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I loved all of Kelly's run on JLA. Okay the the arc about Wonder Woman's lasso breaking wasn't great, nor was the issue where Lex Luthor was used as a strawman for the Bush administration and the War on Iraq.

But the rest was great, from the Obsidian Age and the replacement JLA (yes, even Faith) to the Fernus Arc to the Justice League Elite arc. (The annual where Flash moves so fast that he is literally in two places at once is an amazing scene of wonder. Also, it's a story arc with the good Batgirl in it. Squeee!), I loved it all.

And it features the Batman/Plastic Man story which has, hands down, one of the most inspirational things I've ever seen written in the speech between Batman and Plastic Man. A speech that I have, completely unironically, used twice in real life to my different groups of friends to great effect.

That gives me an idea for what I need to post in the inspirational panels thread.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

Oh please do. It's been ages since I've read that and my memory says it's worth remembering.

I'll post the pics tomorrow, but off the top of my head the line is something like

"Eel, I always thought that you would have made the best parent. Because out of all of us, including Clark, you wouldn't have spent your days telling your children that you loved them. You'd show them!"

I'll find the exact quote, since it was way more eloquent then how I'm putting it, but I'm getting the gist of it across.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Madkal posted:

I was told that Millar's Superman Adventures run (based on the tv show) was pretty solid stuff. It seems Millar does better when he is working with other's property as it reigns in his tendencies to go for overthetop shock and disgust.

I'll probably get flak for this, but Millar is not a bad writer. The man can and does create some amazingly huge and ambitious ideas (his Ultimate/ Ultimate X-Men/ Ultimate Fantastic Four run, Wolverine, Red Son etc..) He is capable of doing stories that move beyond puerile to approach a deeper meaning (1982, which was a metaphor for how a father and son can bond over a shared love of comics, Superior)

What kills him when he doesn't have an editor to hit him with a stick and say "No! Bad Mark!" when he talks about introducing exploding wombs. Millar is a writer who could be better if he was controlled.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

If that squicks you out then I strongly suggest you stay away from Next Men.

Now I really liked Next Men. I thought it was a great take on the "What if there were people with Super Powers in the Real World!" idea, and some of the stuff had fantastic ideas. (The way the Time Travel plot ended was one of the best, neatest reveals I had ever seen in a long while.)

But man there's a lot of sex in it. And it does get pretty :stare:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

So did Avengers Arena pull a "nope, Arcade didn't actually kill anyone, they're in suspended animation or another dimension or something" at the end, or all all the dead characters actually dead?

It's not clear. There's been a lot of deaths. However Arcade has been keeping all of the bodies of the people in his lab downstairs in what looks like stasis tanks. So currently everybody is dead....but they might not stay that way.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Hang on, now maybe I missed some stuff. (I did really hate Final Crisis) but I thought one of the things about Mary Marvel was she was supposed to be a commentary on the modern medias sexualised portrayal/ image of teen girls. In particular the shaved head look was supposed to be referencing Britney Spears.

(Which even during the 2008 Final Crisis would have been a dated reference. But that's Grant Morrison for you, his knowledge/ understanding of modern culture after 90's rave culture, is that of someone who has had it explained to them, instead of experiencing it.)

I took Mary Marvel versus Supergirl as some sort of really creepy "don't worry. Teenager over sexualised and looking for attention girl is defeated by someone who represents a chaste and sexless ideal of teenage girls."

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

Why is Flash not Mercury? :crossarms:

And I love that Aquaman is still relegated to the background, even in Lead's body.

Hey Cyborg, did I ever tell you that my name is Wally West and I'm the Fastest Man Alive?
Also that Mercury is the only metal that is liquid at room temperature.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

Oh yeah, the New 52 bullets thing was awesome.

We're just going to test out the character by aggressively marketing him to your face but utterly failing to show you why you should care beyond "he fills two really convenient niches for us" (minority and tech-guy). See also the reason Steel failed to catch on in Morrison's JLA.

To be fair to DC, I thought they did a good job of building interest and making me want to care about Cyborg, when they made him into the Worlds Number One Hero in Flashpoint.(Both the series and his Flashpoint Tie In series that for some reason was called World of Flashpoint: The Legion of Doom.)
In fact I'd argue that's one of the few good things to come out of that crossover.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Chaltab posted:

The thing is, Cyborg could be, with the right writer... except the New 52 has apparently removed all his history with the Titans (well aside from Titans being the name of his high school football team) and more importantly, his character arc. The Cyborg of the old universe, the thirty year old man who'd fought demon lords, assimilated into an extended family of superheroes, been a flying space-god-machine, lead the Teen Titans, etc? Yeah, he could theoretically cut it as a JLA member.

New 52 Cyborg joined the justice league as a sixteen year old kid who happened to have a useful body upgrade.

To be fair, if you say "he was one of the first heroes to answer the call, when the JLA assembled for the first time to fight off an evil alien invasion", that does make him a JLA member and a founder. Yeah it's Grandfathering, but he's entitled to be a member of the big team.
It's not like you can have Batman turn around and say
"Look I know we are in a desperate fight for the safety of the world and we are in a lot of ways all untested. But frankly Victor, you need a couple years more experience before you can join the big guns."

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

bobkatt013 posted:

Read X-men and New Mutant Forever, and your tune will change. See also X-men The End.

In X-Men: The End he made Nightcrawler into an actor who stared in James Bond movies produced by Jubilee.
Nightcrawlers ultimate destiny was to become Timothy Dalton. I am 100% fine with that as a character arc for Kurt.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

What I will say about Kyle Rayner (and it also applies to Wally. Sort of to Connor Hawke and Cassandra Caine but probably not to the same extent.)

Why they succeeded is they didn't just ape the Marvel way of doing things and throw everything else out. They took certain aspects of the Marvel way of doing things (the Spider-Man template) but put a DC twist on it, by making them the next step in a Legacy of characters.

They were everymen (and women I guess) with their own problems, and one problem was being forever in the shadow of those who came before them, and building on that mythology.

And I think it was that fusion of styles that made them distinct and made them work that seems to be missing now. It wasn't enough for Kyle to be Green Lantern. He was the green Lantern who had to learn about it on his own, while also being The Torchbearer. The shining light in a dark universe without a GL Corps, but one who kept the light alive.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

Thinking about it, the last hundred issues of the original Flash series were pretty bad but I think the only run (:flashfact:) that stands out for that is the last couple of years. Cary Bates wrote The Flash from about issue 210 to 350 with a handful of gaps and fill ins. In the late bronze age he tried to move The Flash to more of a Marvel style of writing and it collapsed painfully. But it's really exemplified by the final two years which were one long story.

So, some set up. Around issue #275 Iris Allen, Barry's wife, is murdered out of the blue. This triggered a long, bad storyline where Barry investigates her death, goes through a bunch of his enemies who all could have done it, and then it turns out that she was killed by Two-Face's wife the Reverse-Flash. Then there's a few years where Barry is is dating again and he winds up engaged again. That brings us to issue #323 where he's off to get married and it sets off a storyline that runs through to #350.

The Reverse-Flash decides he's going to kill Barry's fiance (a nearly complete non-character who gets yanked out of the story quickly) at the altar and they get into a big punch up. It ends with RF rushing into the wedding and Barry choking him out from behind. Doing this at .9c is apparently as bad for you as getting your ankle snagged by a webline after you fall off a bridge and everyone at the wedding is shocked to see the Flash suddenly appear standing over the Reverse-Flash dead from a broken neck.

Now some of you may think, "Oh, this is the most cut and dry case of justified killing in history. The only complication is that the regular people at the wedding couldn't have witnessed the event, but the police and DA would have to be pretty stupid to not just take the Flash at his word considering his history of beating up villains and the villain's history of murdering women. And if they didn't, there were people there with senses fast enough to know exactly what happened. You might think that, but you'd be wrong.

Thus begins two years of the stupidest legal farce ever presented in pop culture where the hoops that have to be jumped through are absurd. The Flash doesn't take his mask off as part of the proceedings until over a year into the story but he's received plastic surgery because his face was beaten into being unrecognizable so no one knows he's Barry Allen. His fiance is institutionalized and Barry aggravates her condition by showing up in her locked room to talk to her ("Barry Allen has been missing for weeks! She must be crazy!"), before just vanishing entirely from the story. The Flash has to save his own jury from a supervillain without letting them know he's saving them because for some reason he won't be satisfied with a mistrial (something that should have occurred a dozen times over in this thing). And finally he beats the rap through jury tampering by his dead, time traveling wife possessing the jury foreman.

To be fair to the Trial of Barry Allen. (which it probably doesn't deserve but still....) the Prosecution in it did put forward one really good argument why the Flash was on trial, after it called Kid Flash to the stand. (Which by itself presents problems but still...)

Prosecutor: Kid Flash, the Flash has taught you many ways of stopping super villains, hasn't he?

Kid Flash: Oh yes, he was a great mentor. He taught me how to use my super speed to create whirldwinds or back drafts to stop objects, or to dig underneath them at super speed.

Prosecutor: And he has demonstrated the abillity to think exceptionally fast and come up with complex plans in the blink of an eye.

Kid Flash: Yeah that's how he comes up with those Flash Facts.

Prosecutor: So is it not possible for the Flash to have devised a non-lethal way of stopping Professor Zoom as he had done in so many similar situations.

Kid Flash: Well yeah. Rurhroh, I've just landed the Flash in some serious trouble.

Basically the Flash was on trial over whether he chose to use Lethal Force to stop Zoom when he could have done so in a non-lethal manner.

Now it's a problematic argument for superhumans but it at least made some sense. The story still had huge problems however.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Re: Your last point Onmi, settling is not quite the dumb idea you make it out to be. Any lawyer worth his salt will tell you that once a matter goes in front of a jury, anything can happen. You can have the most guilty looking people in the world get aquittal because one or two people on the jury are convinced "all cops are corrupt and will lie about everything" and that everyone goes along with it. It's not likely, but the sheer unpredictability of a trial means that if you take an out and not have the thing proceed to trial you consider it.
And just imagine how bad it would get if this thing did go to trial and some mad jury decided that Penders really did own everything?

Anyway back on topic, I think it's hilarious how bored/annoyed looking Knuckles is in that last page where Tails is merging with all the versions of himself from the Multiverse. Like he's just phoning in the dialogue, collecting his paycheque and immediately leaving the comic to go home.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Onmi posted:

That's Rasta Knuckles, Athair.

Tails: After all this time, can't even you tell me?!

8-Bit Rasta Dog Head: I have to go now, my home planet needs me!
(Kevin Prenders lifts animation cell upwards.)

And I'd agree with you on the other point. As bad as him winning sounds like, it setting a precedent would arguably be even worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Saoshyant posted:

He's already breaking ground with all those *random* romances that would make Chuck Austen clap in awe. Bendis run will be in a future iteration of this thread, surely.

Unless he seriously goes off the rails, I can't see Bendis making it onto this list. The run may be meandering and have some dull stuff, but it's got some fun stuff like the issue where half the team decided that they are super rich and have a teleporter, which means they can take a break from living in a run down Barry Windsor-Smith esc mutant lab and go spend money in Paris. Or the issue where Magneto acts like a super powered version of Jason Bourne.

It doesn't have anything awful like Disintegrating Communion Wafers (Austin) or the team spending five to six issues getting beaten up by a guy with tough skin and Flamethrower (Casey.) that would put it in this thread.

• Locked thread