Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I didn't think it was widely panned enough to post here, but someone on a website once put it down as one of 2012's worst comics, so I'm gonna go ahead and say it.

Jason Aaron's Incredible Hulk. It was awful and nearly killed my interest in the Hulk forever. Bald, snarky, badly drawn Hulk teaming up with the Punisher to fight humanoid dogs was...not one of the worst things I ever read, but drat close. It was extremely disappointing to be look up his work after reading the latest Thor(which is amazing and everyone should read), and finding out he did that. It was a good thing that particular arc was called Stay Angry, because reading it, I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

bobkatt013 posted:

Here is an easy way to get the whole thing. Just start from here and get all 11 volumes!
http://www.amazon.com/Spider-Man-Co...+saga+spiderman

I'm guessing something called "complete" probably shouldn't be in eleven pieces.

Or is it Sputnik posted:

I liked "Stay Angry" because it was basically "Crank: The Comic", but holy lol should they have picked another artist.
The bigger problem was the opening "Island of doctor Moreau"-arc that took six issues to blow up Bruce Banner and had both Marc Silvestri and Whilce Portacio as artists. They're interchangeable, so the shift wasn't jarring, but still...

Art like this is forever etched into my memory as a reminder of that arc.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

bobkatt013 posted:

What do you mean? It is complete in that it has every issue of the clone saga. It is just so massive that it needs 11 volumes.

It just seems silly to me. "Yeah, I've got The Complete X! No, not the complete Complete X, only the first volume of it."

"Complete" omnibusses like the X-Statix one are probably a bitch to actually produce, though, and I get and understand that. I just think calling something complete when it isn't is weird.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Aug 1, 2013

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

RevKrule posted:

Are we just doing runs here or can we also do EVENTS!!!!! Because holy poo poo are there a lot of really terrible events out there.

In a lot of ways their worse then your average bad run because bad events are highly publicized trainwrecks that are hyped as totally the next big thing.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Nipponophile posted:

How about Chris Claremont's run on Exiles in Vol. 2?

The first series was a mixture of Sliders, Quantum Leap, and Marvel heroes, which meant that anything could and did happen. No such thing as plot armor here. Characters died, worlds were destroyed, poo poo happened. After its cancellation, Claremont took this setting of alternate universes and an entire multiverse of characters and used it to put together his favorite few characters and have them running around on Earth fighting generic bad guys like every other superteam.

I heard it was mandated he could only use his own certain characters though, so it wasn't entirely his fault. The bugs-in-a-crystal-palace reveal was already dragging it down anyway and was a matter of time before it's quality dipped lower.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I liked the Avengers Academy tie ins of Fear Itself at least, but aside from that I never read any of it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The Clone Wars has the distinction of being so bad an episode of the animated series was actually called "I Really Really Hate Clones".

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

McSpanky posted:

Also in the animated series finale, a squad of dimension-hopping Spider-Men (long story) meet one clearly meant to be the Spider-Man of the comics and he tells the series's version about his insane Clone Saga-hosed life, and "our" Spidey's like "wow and I thought MY troubles were bad, good luck with all that!"

"I don't think I want to hear YOUR story!"

-"Our" Spidy to the Ben Reily version.

The animated series was really really great for a lot of reasons.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Thinking about all the comics I read, the Threeboot Legion of Super Heroes leaves a really bad taste in my mouth every time I think about it. The dialogue was terrible, the art was mediocre and kind of generic, and it replaced a much better version. However, my love for the Zeroboot Legion may mean this is just fanboyism. I'm not really sure what the standard opinion is.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Waid being awesome I can agree on, if hit and miss for me personally, but Kitson's stuff just looks like your average modern comic book art to me. Nothing about it really stands out, but it's not really bad.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I can't tell if that's a costume or if she's selectively making parts invisible.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Wade Wilson posted:

Was there actually anywhere for Runaways to go after The Pride was destroyed by the beings that they worked for?

I mean, yeah, people love Molly's cameos in other stuff and where her character eventually gets to (leader of the X-men, somehow), but has there been anything else good to come out of it?

I haven't read all of the Runaways, just what my school library had, but after the Pride they just sort of wandered around without any real goal. It was still fun and an enjoyable read, though.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gymer posted:

Only Chase and Nico got dumped in that train wreck; however Victor's technically an Avenger now, as part of Pym's AI taskforce.

Which, as Victor pointed out, is a bit weird since they know Victor entire purpose is to betray the Avengers. You'd think they'd at least check him out, do some diagnostics or something at all to make sure he doesn't have any secret programs in him.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

prefect posted:

I'm pretty sure they've missed secret programs in both Jocasta and the Vision; it's probably simpler for them to take it as expected that everything will go wrong eventually.

That's...remarkably incompetent.

I want to like AAI so hard, but it just feels like a mess.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

GorfZaplen posted:

Regardless of the quality of the comic as a whole, "I wonder what sort of wine goes best with Taco Bell?" is an amazing line :allears:

It's best if you read it like Linkara.

"I wonder WHAT SORT of wine goes BEST with TACO BELL?"

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

muscles like this? posted:

Frankly I never really liked the whole "Dark Reign" direction in the first place. Mostly because the whole bit with Osborn's rise to power never made any amount of sense.

Yup, the Dark Reign era was too dumb for me. I was happy when the Heroic Age came after Siege and things got better, but then it went back downhill.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Suben posted:

Need a superpowered crime lord? Use the Hood despite the fact it being a complete 180 shift in character.

I only know The Hood from Avengers Academy and that pretty awesome mini with Damian Hellstrom and Morbius. What was he like before?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dacap posted:

I enjoyed Bendis' Avengers for the most part but man did he completely miss the mark with Noh-Varr. That Protector identity and costume were so far away from what that character should be and I would've preferred he had just created a new character in his place.

Don't remind me. I barely kept being a Noh Varr fan during that phase.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gavok posted:

Are you reading Young Avengers? Because if not, you should be reading Young Avengers.

Noh Varr was the biggest draw for me to the new Young Avengers. Surprise, everything about it is fantastic and amazing.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Endless Mike posted:

First they get the comics then they get the wrestling! Next they'll be taking over our most manly men: cowboys and lumberjacks!

At least we'll always have gladiators.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

bobkatt013 posted:

Will it soon have a dog that loves pizza?

He'll be in the next iteration of Pet Avengers.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

bobkatt013 posted:

Speaking of Young Avengers. The first 12 issues and special are pretty good. However, due to the writers other commitments he was unable to continue the title and it left the characters in limbo. So last year out came Avengers: The Children's Crusade. The story made no sense what so ever and completly destroyed some characters. It had delays and everything about it was pointless and awful.

It destroyed some characters more then others. Poor Stature...on the plus side, it made it so there could be new mutants again, and Scott Lang!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

muscles like this? posted:

What exactly happened in The Children's Crusade anyway? All I've ever heard about it is that its terrible.

The YA look for Scarlet Witch, Dr. Doom has taken her in and she's lost her memory, Doom is trying to marry her in a ploy to get her powers, Scarlet Witch regains her memories and undoes the no more mutants thing, Stature is killed and her father(the second Ant Man) is brought to life.

Lurdiak posted:

I think maybe Young Vision died too? He's not in the new book anyway.

Oh yeah, and Jonas(Young Vision) died. Iron Lad came back and wanted to use time travel to fix things but everyone told him not to so he wouldn't gently caress the timeline Age of Ultron style, he got angry and Kang like and left, and now he's showing up in FF.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 17, 2013

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Why does Cyclops have a gun? He has eyebeams!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
How could that possibly come up?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Good lord! Has radiation from his ring given his arms tumors, or is something trying to break out of his skin?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Avengers Arena has been the worst Marvel book since Marvel NOW! started. It was just totally pointless. Nothing positive came out of it, and getting it instead of a Braddock Acadamy book is a tragedy.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

bobkatt013 posted:

That was just the monthly title.

It was still awful. Tron suits, Legion Lost, Artemis being killed off in like, one or two issues, everything you'd expect of New 52 Titans and more.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Jerusalem posted:

What's even better is that this is the name he uses because he thinks using a codename was ridiculous and immature :allears:

"Batman is a foolish name from a foolish past, from now on I will be known as Mourning Revengefist!"

Especially since "Blood Mage" is a pretty apt description of him and his abilities and not just a code name, or at least going by how he uses his powers there.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Yeah, I'm still bitter about Jason losing the Red Robin persona to Tim because of Damian :v:

I'm bitter Tim arbitrarily had the Red added to his name and got a terrible costume. Jason works better as the Red Hood anyway.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I'm also butthurt about Trinity War since it was builded like this epic fight between the leagues thanks to manipulation from the Trinity of Sin just to be derailed but the Earth-3 bullshit (and the retcons of Pandora's Box as a portal and Atom being evil are loving stupid) and the Trinity of Sin vanishing from the story.

"Oh my god, it's not magic! It's been science all along! Trinity! 3! Earth Three!"

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

C'mon, you can't read all the buildup (specially everything related to Shazam and the council of magic) and tell seriously than introducing the Syndicate was the plan since the beginning.

I'm agreeing with you, it was a dumb reveal and didn't make sense in the context of the story.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

McSpanky posted:

And I don't ever recall him really being bummed out over his quasi-demonic appearance, even though (or maybe because) his physical mutations manifested at birth instead of puberty like most mutants.

Doesn't that make him Homo Killcrop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

At least it could've been wor..

Oh :suicide:
How could anyone at DC look at this and not think of the very worst, most stereotypical parts of 90s comics? This has to be bullshit satire. That isn't a real page, isn't? Maybe some goon recolored an Image comics character and added the text?

For gently caress's sake, DC.

• Locked thread