Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Opopanax posted:

Does Ultimates 3/Ultimatum count? Because I have to go with those.

No, comics that never existed don't count.

On-topic: X-Men #4-like whenever Grant Morrison took over was a never-ending cavalcade of every awful writer you can imagine. Uncanny wasn't any better. At least the art was occasionally good.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Waterhaul posted:

You're actually getting your "terrible reboot Spider-Mans powers" books confused.

Spider-Man: Disassembled was the one that gave Peter organic webbing and let him talk to spiders after bursting out of a giant spider.
Spider-Man: The Other was a terrible JMS event that gave Peter wrist spikes, fangs and night vision from making a cocoon after he had been beaten and his eye eaten by Morlun.

The Other also gave us MJ and Aunt May flying around in old Iron Man armors!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

Do not bother as nothing of importance happens other than Colossus turning into the Juggernaut, but that has been retconed. Everything else that happened was quickly reversed.
It wasn't retconned, it was undone in-story after the fact. If it was retconned it would mean he was never the Juggernaut in-story.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It was a costume and it was terrible.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Jesus, it's like:

Heterosexual Romances in comics - 57,000 | Homosexual Romances in comics - 8

and they're complaining about a gay agenda?

First they get the comics then they get the wrestling! Next they'll be taking over our most manly men: cowboys and lumberjacks!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Small Frozen Thing posted:

Byrne fan spotted.

If Byrne doesn't like 4chan, then, well, that's one of the two times a day he's right.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Metal Loaf posted:

I wonder what DeMatteis and Giffen could've done if they'd been allowed to do that in 1987. I mean, that's what they wanted to do in the first place, right?
I know it's in the foreward to the first JLI collection, but it's been awhile since I read it, but what I think I recall happening was DC wanted a JL book on the stands (for obvious reasons), but because the big characters were still in the midst of getting revitalized post-Crisis, they didn't want them in the book. Batman was an exception to this initially, but they didn't really do a whole lot to change him. At any rate, they asked Giffen to write, and he asked for help from DeMatteis who had more experience, and they ended up with a bunch of B-characters who they figured they could make a fun, light-hearted book with.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Eckertmania posted:

It's Kyle, and it was the only part of Countdown that I enjoyed.
If you didn't enjoy Superman Prime, you have no soul.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Suben posted:

That's Superboy-Prime. Superman-Prime was during that period where they couldn't use Superboy because of the lawsuit (IIRC) so they aged SBP up and he destroyed worlds in Countdown while screaming about how he'd "kill you to death".
Yes, this!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

It is a pointless task trying to make sense of Countdown. It only leads to madness or control of DC Comics.
Not sure which is a worse fate.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

404GoonNotFound posted:

Wait, is he still Cable's Bastard Son From The Future, or is this just a similar character with the same name?
No, he's talking about Genesis from Uncanny X-Force and now at the Jean Grey School who is Apocalypse but a teenager.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yes, he was definitely not just a dude with blue fur and hair.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Parahexavoctal posted:

Post-Morrison, yes; that's a "secondary mutation". But for decades he was just a guy with blue hair all over his body, extremely large hands and feet, and superhuman strength and physical skills. (Also I think his canine teeth were maybe a little pointier than they should have been. His ears were portrayed as pointy, but that could have just been more fur.)

With shaving: "He's a mutant! His hands and feet are very big, and he's as strong and fast and dextrous and flexible as an Olympic athlete!"

Without shaving: "He's a furry blue monster!"
No, he had bestial teeth, pointed ears, (depending on the artist) clawed, oversized hands and feet, and generally more beastial/monstrous features. His original mutation was just big hands and feet.

First appearance:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Trast posted:

Holy gently caress what did I just read. :psyduck: Is the Xmen brand really that convoluted?
That's not exactly a new development.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dacap posted:

I think that was also the issue where sue had a different hairstyle in every panel
That was every issue.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Madkal posted:

The only X-Factor issue I remember from X-Cutioner's Song was the one where Apocalypse saves Xaviers life and Angel is there watching the whole thing. What made that issue stand out for me was the awesome art.
It is the one where Cable, Bishop, and Wolverine are chilling on Greymalkin decided what to do next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

KomradeX posted:

I like Timm and Dini's work even if it is a bit problematic, to day the least. Still classier than New 52.

Any good books to read about the comic industry in the 90s, I'm probably going to pick up that Marvel:The Untold Story on my nook or something. But anything about other parts of the industry I find it fascinating.
There's also Comic Wars: Marvel's Battle for Survival by Dan Raviv, though as I understand, it's a bit embellished.

• Locked thread