Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
As someone who only dips in and out of comics and even rarer into Marvel/DC, I remember finishing the the first two volumes of the Ultimates which I enjoyed a lot, not just because of any 'grim and grittier = better than' stuff but because it seemed like they were setting up to tell some pretty cool stories in a universe slightly closer to reality than fantasy.

Then I had the mental equivalent of one of those record-scratch movie-trailer moments when I started reading volume three. The art turned into some kind of weird hyper-smoothed unrealistic thing that was just plain weird after the first two volumes. It felt like the dude who was leaving the series filled his successor in when they were passing each other in the halls because like three or four things didn't make sense right out of the gate (a minor character given quite a few scenes and fully established as a normal human and superhero-groupie is suddenly a superhero, and also Venom is here now?). I don't remember much more except that Quicksilver spends two pages running alongside a bullet and not catching it for some reason even though he's what twenty times faster than them? I don't know if it recovered because I didn't pick up anything after it. I remember one of you guys (it might have been Rhino or Gavok) did a much better writeup of it somewhere hear, I'll try and track it down.

Now all I read is Saga and Fletcher Hanks. Thanks, Ultimates volume 3. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread