Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

WickedHate posted:

The Clone Wars has the distinction of being so bad an episode of the animated series was actually called "I Really Really Hate Clones".

Also in the animated series finale, a squad of dimension-hopping Spider-Men (long story) meet one clearly meant to be the Spider-Man of the comics and he tells the series's version about his insane Clone Saga-hosed life, and "our" Spidey's like "wow and I thought MY troubles were bad, good luck with all that!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The Question IRL posted:

Is that the one where Reed tells his kids there is no Afterlife. Despite the fact that he's been there on multiple occasions?

"I am a man of science, there is no eternal soul, when we die that's the end of existence."
"Heya Stretcho, remember that time ya literally went ta Heaven 'n' brought my soul back?"
"Be quiet, Ben, I'm making an overwrought maudlin point about living life to the fullest here."

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

Way's Wolverine Origin is not the one from 2002. That was written by Jenkins

How many friggin' origins does Wolverine need? I guess he's Marvel's Joker, either zero or >1.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

DressCodeBlue posted:

As is, it's only gross when you know Byrne's creepy-rear end track record.

And when you look at adult Sue's expression. It looks like the next panel's narration should read "That's what he promised me, as he took me into the bad-touch room."

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I just can't believe anyone would use the name "Hopeless" as a writer :psyduck:

The only honest writer in modern comics.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

"Pleeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaase take Cyborg seriously as a JLA Big Seven member???"

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Did Steel really fail in that setting, though? He was on the B-team of JLAers that weren't The Big Guys but were still important members doing important stuff while the heavy hitters were busy stuffing Brainiac back into his recycle bin, I thought that worked out pretty well. Though if you're talking about his solo books that never made it very far, yeah, I see what you mean.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Spiderdrake posted:

Besides I don't think Gibson's writing would really work for an audience that craves Johnsian literalism.

What makes you think this audience "craves" Johnsian literalism? That's like saying prisoners crave gruel.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Skwirl posted:

While Nightcrawler has spent plenty of time being melancholy, there's also a huge amount of his past where he's running around being a happy go-lucky swashbuckling ladykiller.

And I don't ever recall him really being bummed out over his quasi-demonic appearance, even though (or maybe because) his physical mutations manifested at birth instead of puberty like most mutants.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

DarkCrawler posted:

Yeah, I love Alan Davis, but he's one of those artists who are physically incapable of drawing women as anything else but babes and men as Greek gods.

I love it; in that same panel of Pin-up Queen Phoenix, Kurt is standing right next to her basking in the glory of being Midnight Blue Errol Flynn.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Wanderer posted:

You know, to this day, I would pay good money for a Bamf doll.

Yeah, I remember that issue. Hate-Monger was tapping into some doubts Sue had about the entire FF thing and used it to turn her into Malice, who was better at using the force field offensively than Sue ever was.

When they figured it out, Reed decided the best way to snap Sue out of it was to get her even angrier so eventually she'd break the conditioning and come out the other side. It was part of Byrne setting it up so Sue would ditch the Invisible Girl moniker and use Invisible Woman instead, and is kind of the start of the gradual evolution Sue went through in the '80s that turned her into the FF member you least want to gently caress with.

The 90s FF cartoon adapted this into an episode. Domestic-abuse-for-your-own-good Reed on Saturday morning TV was... well, it was something special, let me tell you.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Foxfire_ posted:

The premise would have made more sense if they didn't switch from time travel making alternate universes to back to the future style time travel.

Under branching timeline rules, Beast's plan is less stupid since he'd just be creating a universe where young Scott gets a ghost-of-Christmas-future moment. And Kitty gets a better argument when it's balancing 'they want to stay' vs 'an alternate universe where all the X-men disappeared back in the 60's is probably going to suck'

The sliding timescale slides both ways, doesn't it? Or is it just that all of the X-Men have been resurrected/time traveled/shot with alien healing rays so much by now that they can have started in the 60s but the original five are still biologically less than ~15 years older now, in the 2010s. And associated age compressions among the cast as appropriate, vis-a-vis Kitty Pryde, et al, etc, esq.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

E the Shaggy posted:

Also, how the gently caress does Cyclops' new mask work exactly? The big red X on his face doesn't even cover his eyes.

Thank you! I've been thinking this ever since that silly X-mask showed up. At the very least it should be producing (stupid, but consistent) X-shaped blasts but they don't even go that far in anything I've seen.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Onmi posted:

Tracey Yardley who does the art on the Sonic Comic did sketches for a Mario, Kirby and Metroid comic for Nintendo, they didn't want it. So don't think Archie didn't think of it themselves.

EDIT:

Here we go

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=134338

Source there

Man, just based on the artwork I would've loved to have seen those books. Yardley has a great eye for perspective and motion and really gets the iconic elements of those characters/settings, that could've been some pretty cool stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

And in Man of Steel specifically, his so-called "surveillance powers" are only ever shown to be a disorienting, literally painful burden that even his enemies shield themselves against and require great strength of will to suppress and focus. The only force in the film that misuses its surveillance powers are the US government in a way rather distressingly parallel to current events.

• Locked thread