Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Alhazred posted:

Spider-Man: The Other
A comic where Spider-Man dies and then gives birth to himself:

Apparently this was done so he resembled the movie version more (he got organic web shooters), but those changes were retconned a short time after anyways.

You're actually getting your "terrible reboot Spider-Mans powers" books confused.

Spider-Man: Disassembled was the one that gave Peter organic webbing and let him talk to spiders after bursting out of a giant spider.
Spider-Man: The Other was a terrible JMS event that gave Peter wrist spikes, fangs and night vision from making a cocoon after he had been beaten and his eye eaten by Morlun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

I can't quite put into words what makes it so toxic to me compared to all of the other stupid poo poo in comics that I can and do routinely ignore, but Gwen Stacy loving Norman Osborn is just The Worst Thing.

I just cannot understand how that made it to print. Someone - several people! - looked at a comic in production that featured Gwen Stacy loving Norman Osborn and at no point said "holy poo poo, no, that's a terrible idea and completely destroys Gwen Stacy as a character, what the gently caress is wrong with you people?".

Is it still in continuity? Please tell me that it's been retconned completely and utterly.

The kids get brought up every few years but for the most part people try and forget about it.

Suben posted:

This reminds me of one of the most annoying aspects of JMS: his ability to spin himself as the victim of evil Marvel and Joe Quesada. OMD wasn't HIS fault, it was all Joe Quesada he even took his name off the issue in protest! Sins Past wasn't HIS fault, it was all Joe Quesada! He didn't WANT to leave Thor, it was because of Marvel! Guys, he's such a victim; the little guy and true creator hosed over by the big, nasty, mean corporation. Ignore the fact that Marvel bent over backwards for him most of the time going so far as to let his mediocre protege do fill-ins on his ASM run as well as launch her own series (Araņa) or the fact that he got longer than the run they originally agreed on for Thor.

Also ignore the fact that he was down with OMD barring the mechanics of how it'd happen or that Sins Past was still his idea bar Norman being the father (so he should receive all the blame for those stories being garbage), it's totally not his fault at all!

Yeah. While Quesada had some dumb ideas during his reign for Spider-Man JMS went full hog and Sins Past is 100% his doing for refusing to drop the story when he was told he couldn't do it the way he wanted. There's also the fact that he threw a tantrum over OMD when despite an entire committee agreeing on what the retcons would be happen and multiple arcs of Brand New Day written and drawn JMS wanted to change the ending where Mephisto retconned the last 40 years of Spider-Man out of continuity.

There's also the time where he threw a strop because he had Mary Jane break her arm and then forgot about it the next issue. People called him out on it and rather than owning up to his mistake he wrote this scene into Amazing 529 a few issues later.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

All of that just makes me want to re-read the Clone Saga.

What an awful mess :allears:

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

irlZaphod posted:

I feel like Spider-Man does, too. I mean, aside from a few good stories here and there, or very short runs (like Wells on Avenging), there hasn't really been a solid run on Spidey since about half-way through JMS' run (when it went off the rails itself). At least FF have had the Waid/Wieringo, Hickman and now Fraction stuff within that timeframe.

The Gauntlet/Grim Hunt is a good 30+ issue run, with one real misstep.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Age of Ultron was a worthless mess but it was kind of worth it just for the interview with Hitch where he said that Marvel told him so little that he didn't know whether he was writing an alternative universe story or what was going to happen in the next issue even when they increased the issue size.

Also in regards to Children's Crusade my favorite part is that Hawkeye hosed a Doombot.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Is that the one that ends up with herself and Angel getting ultimate superpowers and having sex so powerful that they cause earthquakes and are flying into mountains naked and other dumb poo poo that makes the Wonder Woman/Superman stuff from Dark Knight Strikes Again to shame?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Please do not try and throw Chuck Austen's nonsense onto Claremont.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Skwirl posted:

The whole "Super Heroes have only been around for 5 years" thing destroyed all of the Robins, in 5 years Batman has 4 Robins, one of which dies and is brought back to life as an adult. I don't normally care about the different ways comic characters age, because that way madness lies. But that's some sloppy loving storytelling, if you're going to reboot the whole thing they probably should have gotten rid of either Todd or Drake. (If I had my way Batman and Robin would still be Dick and Damien).

Edit: Tim Drakes my favorite, but too many people like the idea of Robin being bludgeoned to death for there not to be a Jason Todd.

Wasn't the point of the "5 years" thing that it was superheroes are public for X number of years but Batman has been around doing his poo poo for years before that anyway.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

redbackground posted:

I thought that was just The Internet trying to explain Nu52 Batman's already overflowing contact list after such a short period of time. My memory is terrible, but Snyder's Batman wasn't around like 10 years ago, DC-time, correct? (I honestly can't recall how long ago Zero year is taking place.)

Actually looking it up it's the Justice League is formed 5 years ago but everybody has been off heroing and poo poo for a while and Batman has been an urban legend/"masked vigilante" before this point than a real public hero.

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 3, 2014

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Teenage Fansub posted:

Have they said he's not going to meet Dick during Zero Year?
The backup in the #0 established where all the Robins were at at the time. It'd be weird if they, or at least Dick didn't eventually enter into the story proper.

e: This might be getting off topic.

Yeah just bring the general complaining about nu52 and that over to the DC Whining thread. This thread should really just be for terrible runs rather than "everything is terrible".

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

DarkCrawler posted:

They should probably skip a few of those decades, though.

Or you know, end the comic with Reed Richards having to take a loving class or something, Jesus.

And he's still the least evil Reed of any possible other universe.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Trast posted:

Holy gently caress what did I just read. :psyduck: Is the Xmen brand really that convoluted?

It's just Bendis. For some reason he really likes doing time travel stories and the best he's managed to muster with them is forgettable.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Onmi posted:

I really wish I could provide picture evidence but I don't have the comics with me, and honestly I hate looking at them, they make me sick. I would love a "The Best Runs" thread simply so I could talk about Ron Marz's excellent run on GL.

You can also make that thread and convince people why they should try out the book!

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

The secret to Sonic is that at no point was it good and always was an attempt to be "edgy" or "cool" with kids and as such attracted a terrible audience.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

TwoPair posted:

Basically what I'm saying here is Nintendo, please license the rights for a Metroid comic to like... any publisher and I will buy all of the issues please and thank you.

Nintendo's current plan of well just being Nintendo is to license out their brands more so it's not as much of a pipe dream as you'd expect.

Granted it'll most likely mean more Metroid manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Probably Magic posted:

Fraction's Uncanny X-Men run was pretty bad too, but then, Uncanny seems to be the book where good writers go to die because Brubaker stunk on it too. Not as bad as Austen, of course, but it was awful compared to their work on other properties.

Gillen managed to be saddled with Land on it and churn out some of his best work with Marvel though.

• Locked thread