Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

The public for 5 years thing doesn't work anymore, because Year Zero in Batman takes place "five years ago."

and that was a flash forward.

Mimir posted:

Superman was already in his armor by then, how long before that did he start Supermanning in the jeans?

He was jeaning in his Zero Year tie-in, so about as long as Bruce.

I think Morrison's Action was supposed to start about six or eight months before JL #1.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Have they said he's not going to meet Dick during Zero Year?
The backup in the #0 established where all the Robins were at at the time. It'd be weird if they, or at least Dick didn't eventually enter into the story proper.

e: This might be getting off topic.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jan 4, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

E the Shaggy posted:

Man was it ever. The amount of tie ins to that book was insane.

Back to the New 52, I absolutely cannot stand what they've done with Superman. Turning him into this brash rear end in a top hat who "punches first and asks questions later" instead of this hopeful superhero which everyone can find strength in. There was to be this reverence that the super hero community had for Superman, where they thought of him as the best of them, where when he landed at the scene everyone just went silent.

Now its just basically, "Superman's here, USE YOUR HEAT VISION AND SCOWL!"

What's given you that impression? Morrison's Action Comics' Superman was the absolute opposite of what you describe.
He's virtuous in Pak's Action too. That just had a dinosaurus thing burst out and wreck the place, and while it looked like he shot it into the sun, he actually brought it over to his alien monster zoo to hang out.

Get Action 25 and 26 if you want to feel good about Clark.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jan 4, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Is too soon to claim than Forever Evil (and for association, Trinity War) is an awful, awful event?

Because it totally is :v:

It's gonna conclude with the Justice League being uploaded into the Metal Men or something

so yes it's too early!

While the main series has been a pile of bunk with terrible art, I have been enjoying some of the ancillary titles, especially the stupid backstories in JL. Just that is a big improvement on Trinity War.

I'd say the Blight event with the "Dark" books is much worse. It has to be about the most plodding comic story I can remember following.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jan 5, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Chaltab posted:

The thing is, Cyborg could be, with the right writer... except the New 52 has apparently removed all his history with the Titans (well aside from Titans being the name of his high school football team) and more importantly, his character arc. The Cyborg of the old universe, the thirty year old man who'd fought demon lords, assimilated into an extended family of superheroes, been a flying space-god-machine, lead the Teen Titans, etc? Yeah, he could theoretically cut it as a JLA member.

New 52 Cyborg joined the justice league as a sixteen year old kid who happened to have a useful body upgrade.

All a character needs to become relevant and interesting is to have an author who cares enough to make it so. Cyborg not being compelling at the moment has nothing to do with accumulated backstory.

Not that any quality of headline book for him would sell anyway, but I'm kind of way into the idea of Cyborg and the Metal Men, so I hope they try :shobon:

e: I guess this is thread relevant in how it's all a part of Geoff Johns JL run.
I do think Cyborg fits on the team and I do care about the character presented at the moment. Johns isn't doing the worst job the Justice League's ever seen.
I thought the Shazam! stuff was fantastic. His position in the company probably demands he spearheads the biggest book and events, but I don't think that's where he's best suited.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 6, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'd still say you can make an interesting character out of anyone. Have another British invasion. Anyone to discover at 2000AD these days?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 6, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's weird how dull I'm finding Green Lantern when the other books, New Gardians and Red Lanterns (dunno about GLC, and I'm assuming are Larfleeze is still entertaining. Gotta catch up on that) have totally picked up in the creative team shuffle and are really vibrant and fun.

I'm into most of the stuff GL put in place too: The new Smurfs, using Mogo as the homeworld, but it's just presented so flat in that particular title, and with the most uninteresting art possible.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

He did a nice story in one of the Vertigo things a year or two ago, Aquaman was good, Shazam! was great.
If he can stand stepping off of the world's most vital important books and events and just got a couple of obscure solo books to craft, he'd probably do well again.

e: Justice League has this aspect during Forever Evil. Half the time he's dusting off fun stuff like Metal Men and Doom Patrol (though that was more of a passing mention) instead of backing up the event. I've been enjoying those. I'd read a Johns and Doug Mahnke continuing Metal Men like the last JL issue.

ee: Oh yeah. Forgot about Superman. Nothing interesting has happened to that character in Johns' New 52 work. He shelved him for two events straight, but there are a few very decent Superman stories in his past. I'm interested and hoping for the best, but Superman Unchained is by one of my favorite comic authors and I thought it was terrible, so who knows what the gently caress will ever happen.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Apr 30, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

TwoPair posted:

Maybe I'll come back and do write-ups on the rest of his run later.

I hope so! I skipped out on Krypton Returns, got back in for the psychic stuff because I like ridiculous Hector Hammond, but skipped out again before Lois' whole power up, so I'd like to see gaps I have before Doomed started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Selachian posted:

People are *still* giving him work?

Thankfully less and less recently. Superman and Teen Titans have been out of his hands for a few months and are much improved for it.

• Locked thread