Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The Hunter was actually originally going to be a major part of DS2 and future games, being literally the last surviving Human. But like so much else he was cut. The details as to what the future games stories would have been are pretty sketchy at best but the Hunter was going to be a major part before the entire series died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Edo Animus posted:

He is voiced by Fred Tatasciore who did the voices for the Charred Council in Darksiders 1.
Also Saren in Mass Effect 1, Baird in Gears of War, Bane in the recent Batman games, and a smattering of other roles. He's not Steve Blum levels of Steve Blum but he's been prolific the last few years.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Also there's a unique model for any Necromancer Armor pieces that drop randomly from enemies (but not from chests) in the Belial DLC

The best part about Belial's Trident is that it is the only Legendary Levelled Weapon, this means that it is always the same level as Death and its stats update every time Death gains a level so it is always useful!

There's also a secret armor set that does the same thing that we will no doubt see in the future.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 6, 2014

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So we're not actually going to keep looking for humans on Earth. Sounds... kind of anticlimactic.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
The amulet doesn't heal back to full if Belial casts his aoe on consoles:aaaaa:

Edo Animus
Feb 19, 2011

Date tres dies mihi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNBWE6-BWtI

We are very near the end now and this episode will take us through the entirety of the all-too-short demon realm, Shadow's Edge.

There's a lot of plot going on, which means we pick up quite a few achievements in this episode:

2:12 - Mass Ruckus
3:20 - Stains of Heresy
11:23 - Tearing Time a New One
11:37 - The Mad Queen
30:12 - It's Not Over
43:47 - Lord of the Black Stone

The hour is late but not too late to (re)introduce characters!

Lilith is the sultry manipulator heard, but not seen, in Darksiders 1. She is infatuated with power, be her own admission, and is pretty good at getting her way through subtle means. She is the creator of the Nephilim and fancies herself Death's mother in this way. Death is not too keen on the title. If we ever get a third Darksiders, Lilith would almost certainly be one of the main villains. See as her manipulation of Death has some parallels with Samael's negotiations with War, there exists plenty of pathos to base an entire meta-narrative around Lilith and Samael's ongoing disputes. But alas, this is probably not to be. Lilith is voiced by Jessica Straus who voices Juri in Street Fighter IV as well as...well...Lilith in the Diablo 3 expansion, Reaper of Souls.

Samael returns from Darksiders 1, except now we get to fight him, yay! He's unfortunately not as well designed as Belial, boo! He's just as smug and gravely-voiced as ever, though, thanks to his returning VA Vernon Wells. As mentioned in the character description for Lilith, there's probably an entire game's worth of complex vengeance that could be told between these two extremely powerful demons.

Also, there's apparently a fifth legendary from the Belial DLC that I missed. If I can be bothered, I might record some footage of it!

TGYR
Nov 5, 2012
I said I'd have more glitches here, and, well, here they are! These were all various things that happened during the Samael fight, which made it take way longer than necessary to beat him.

The first time I fought him, I reached the point where you have to run up and smack him to start the QTE, and... Nothing happened. I just sat there. Smacking him. Doing 0 damage. For about a minute before just restarting the stupid fight.

The next time, I made it to that same point and... The bridge didn't appear! So again, restart.

Following that, I managed to make the QTE happen, and then... he went to pull the platforms together and just... didn't. The platform I was on didn't move, but he acted like it had. So he just walked into the lava and vanished. Yet another restart.

Then it just rotated randomly between these a few times before the fight finally went the way it was supposed to. So, as I said in my last post, I certainly enjoyed this area, and it had a kind of neat aesthetic, but the boss... The boss made me a very sad person.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I suspect that had the story continued we would have eventually learned that Samael and\or Lilith was ulitmately behind War starting the Apocalypse early as part of some insane Xanatos Gambit to defeat the Charred Council. I suspect much of the story would have been the results of their schemes clashing.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I love the drama-bomb of Lilith creating the nephilim as well as the usually collected Death response dropping to e/n levels: "SHUT UP! UR NOT MY REAL MOM!!!" Total camp :allears:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Death and Lilith have a very complicated relationship.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
The spiky circle thing holding Lilith's shirt halves together looks extremely uncomfortable.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Demons are of course known for prioritising comfort in their choice of attire.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
You say that Lilith makes you uncomfortable and that her heavy-metal-cover cleavage is pretty cringe-worthy but man every second she was on screen i couldn't stop laughing at how silly her upside-down wings look, like someone assembled an IKEA "my first demon" set while incredibly drunk.

It's like some character from Game of Thrones trying to be super majestic and imposing while wearing their pants and shirt backwards and underpants outside.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

RoadCrewWorker posted:

[...] like someone assembled an IKEA "my first demon" set while incredibly drunk.

DJÄVULKIN children's bedroom furniture.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

RoadCrewWorker posted:

You say that Lilith makes you uncomfortable and that her heavy-metal-cover cleavage is pretty cringe-worthy but man every second she was on screen i couldn't stop laughing at how silly her upside-down wings look, like someone assembled an IKEA "my first demon" set while incredibly drunk.

It's like some character from Game of Thrones trying to be super majestic and imposing while wearing their pants and shirt backwards and underpants outside.

Well, as per Lilith's design, I though the boots, with the fanged mouth at the top, was pretty cool.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

RoadCrewWorker posted:

but man every second she was on screen i couldn't stop laughing at how silly her upside-down wings look

Same, but with the knee teeth for me.

Edo Animus
Feb 19, 2011

Date tres dies mihi.

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Dinklage could make it work.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Edo Animus posted:

Dinklage could make it work.

Dinklage can make about anything work, frankly.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Samizdata posted:

Well, as per Lilith's design, I though the boots, with the fanged mouth at the top, was pretty cool.

Asehujiko posted:

Same, but with the knee teeth for me.

I think the fanged mouth kneeguards that open and close as she walks are probably the best part of Lilith's design. They look so great as she's walking.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Neruz posted:

I think the fanged mouth kneeguards that open and close as she walks are probably the best part of Lilith's design. They look so great as she's walking.

What I loved most about them is that they were emblematic of the (in my opinion) amazing visual design of the games. Although they may be glitchy as all hell and quite abusable, visually Vigil never missed a trick with their visual direction.

(And their amazing choices of voice talent.)

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Samizdata posted:

What I loved most about them is that they were emblematic of the (in my opinion) amazing visual design of the games. Although they may be glitchy as all hell and quite abusable, visually Vigil never missed a trick with their visual direction.

(And their amazing choices of voice talent.)

I've also always been a huge fan of warhammeresque stuff so the visual design for the Darksiders games is right up my alley.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Neruz posted:

The moment I saw the chastity belt with the dangling key, my first thought was that it was a perfect visual representation of the madonna/whore complex.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Ironslave posted:

The moment I saw the chastity belt with the dangling key, my first thought was that it was a perfect visual representation of the madonna/whore complex.

Heh yeah, I didn't see that the first time I played the game so when I went back and decided to play through again and noticed it I cracked up laughing for a good five minutes. So silly, yet so perfect.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

RoadCrewWorker posted:

And yet they look so good on Samael. Upside down wings on important demons is kinda a thing in Darksiders, and in some medieval depictions of fallen angels as well. It signifies that they are angelic, but wrong, and also hints at how they are aspected towards Hell rather than Heaven, what with traditional depictions of Hell placing it literally underground and what have you.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I think the upsidedown wings look pretty good actually; there is something subtly wrong about them that just makes them uncomfortable to look at and that is exactly what a demon should be like.

It also serves as a handy mark to signify the really powerful demons.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Don't get me wrong, I like Lilith's and Samael's design(especially Samael). Speaking of Samael and such, I like how much large creatures in this game move around. 99% of the time if something is more than twice as tall as the player their animations are limited to walking, pounding the earth in the general direction of the player. Samael is clearly just playing with Death and this is actually shown with all the needlessly flashy spins, jumps and teleports. Same with the Archon trying to act ~very important~ with all his Mussolini gesticulating, this game has really good art direction.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah Samael is great here; we got to basically see him at his full power (as opposed to his weakened state when we found him in DS1) and they really hammer home just how powerful Samael is at his height with the fact that he doesn't need to walk anywhere because he can just teleport and manipulate the world around him to do his bidding with a wave of his hands. In fact that boss battle is canonically one of the very few instances where Death has engaged in combat with an entity and said entity survived the encounter, it's also the only battle Death has ever fought that he can be reasonably said not to have won (though he didn't really lose either).

I absolutely love all of Samael's teleportation moves and attacks though; it really reinforces just how powerful he is watching him nightcrawler bamf his way around the arena; something that no other Demon or even Angel has ever been demonstrated doing. Even the Destroyer and Lilith before she had her knowledge stolen couldn't teleport around like that.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
I was kind of hoping that the Lilith/Samael story wrap-up would have been a reveal that because of Death's fight with him he was weakened to the point that Lilith could rip apart his power to further her plot with Abbadon and create some kind of cyclical time-paradox and it was Death's fault all along, not War's.

Unfortunately we'll never really know the endgame for any of it now :(

Edo Animus
Feb 19, 2011

Date tres dies mihi.

Neruz posted:

...watching him nightcrawler bamf his way around the arena; something that no other Demon or even Angel has ever been demonstrated doing...

Except the Sycophants and Archon Lucien who both teleport around quite a bit.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Edo Animus posted:

Except the Sycophants and Archon Lucien who both teleport around quite a bit.

Oh yeah Lucian, I knew there was another powerful named character that bamfed around. Completely forgot about the Sycophants though, they do teleport attacks?

I know teleportation has been demonstrated by other beings but I didn't think that kind of free in-combat teleportation attacks\dodges and teleporting around instead of just moving was displayed by anyone other than Samael and Lucian.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
There's also a nice callback to the first game with Samael again pointing out that if the Council wants him dead, they should send all of the Horsemen.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah the final boss fight of the entire story was probably going to be all four Horsemen vs Samael.

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011
Is it just me or does Samael seem VERY reminiscent of Castlevania's Dracula? Sitting on a throne casually during a fight, shooting fire balls and erupting pillars. Teleporting around, etc. All pretty much Dracula's move set.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012
He's also generally pretty chill and calm when he speaks, and only gets angry in little bursts. He knows how powerful he is and he knows he doesn't NEED to really care.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I think if i took the game (or rather the cliché characters, as the world and art design and assets are awesome) as serious as the game's "epic fate of the universe" story arc occasionally seems to want me to, i'd enjoy the over-saturated fantasy comic a lot less. Death's writing helps a lot.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Sgt Thud posted:

He's also generally pretty chill and calm when he speaks, and only gets angry in little bursts. He knows how powerful he is and he knows he doesn't NEED to really care.

Yeah the end of the battle where Samael basically just goes "Hah yeah that was pretty fun, you entertained me and I'm bored of this now so you may have the key. I bet you'll do something interesting with it anyway." really hammers home just how powerful Samael is. For Death that was a boss fight, for Samael that was a game. I'd guess that at the height of his power (aka before and after Darksiders 1) nothing short of all four Horsemen with the backing of the Council would be able to face Samael in open combat.

Still I would really like to know how he got his power stolen and ended up imprisoned on Earth, I bet Lilith had something to do with it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Samael was a pretty keen boss fight/conversation. I really like his attitude to the whole affair.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Finally caught up with the LP and thought this was appropriate

Edo Animus
Feb 19, 2011

Date tres dies mihi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1wrw02rPMU

Here's the big side quest / collectible episode! We get the rest of the book of the dead pages, the last Soul Arbiter scrolls, Osteogth's lost relics, Blackroot's stonebites and the Chancellor "his" crown. Achievements fall like drops of rain herein:

9:25 - The Book of the Dead
10:09 - Abracadabra
17:03 - Antiquing
34:19 - I've Brought You A Gift
37:12 - All You Can Eat Buffet
37:20 - The Secondary Adventure

We also get some nice Legendary armor pieces and one of (if not the) the single highest damaging pair of scythes in the game. Yes, they even outstrip our possessed monstrosities for now.

Next time is the final boss, but not the final episode since there's still a few more exciting things to get and one more DLC campaign to traipse through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
I am so glad now I only tried the Arbiter's maze once. Dear god, the tedium.

• Locked thread