Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Soul Arbiter's Maze is a stupid DLC and a stupid area and its stupid and bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Neruz posted:

Soul Arbiter's Maze is a stupid DLC and a stupid area and its stupid and bad.

I'm fairly sure it's not DLC; I have it in my game and I bought only the basic version. But yeah, it's definitely the lowest point of an otherwise amazingly fun ride.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I played through this game 3 times, including the silly hardest mode that makes fights take forever and the crucible, and not even i could be bothered to complete that maze. I guess they really wanted to copy that one zelda forest maze, huh?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

anilEhilated posted:

I'm fairly sure it's not DLC; I have it in my game and I bought only the basic version. But yeah, it's definitely the lowest point of an otherwise amazingly fun ride.

Yeah I dunno why I thought it was DLC, I think because it's so totally random and stupid and useless it felt like DLC :v:

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I think the Soul Arbiter's maze was supposed to represent all of the other land of the dead art assets given how most of the floors resemble one place or another with a few cut ones like the night graveyard and the upside down room.

Declination
Apprehension
Opposition
Separation
Deception
Isolation
Revulsion
Inversion
Benediction
Ascension

the names seem to tell a small story of their own that doesn't seem to be Death's, perhaps somebody more involved with the development process can shed some light on that.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I've liked "invincible" bosses when you could, like, physics them around even if you couldn't hurt them, and the point was to physics them into something that could.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
I'm pretty sure Blade Wolf turns invincible the two times when he jumps up a wall in Revengeance. That was fun because it gave you a breather that you probably needed your first time through, and summoned some basic enemies who were only there to refill your health. In fact, I'm certain that was actually spelled out for the player in a codec call.

Ztarlit_Sky
Mar 4, 2014
Nap Ghost
The maze really seems extremely tedious and tiresome. I guess it's a problem with the basic combat not being all that interesting when dealing with the generic mooks. Well, that and being far too long. And the stupid gimmick with the exits.

I don't even want to know what that maze is like without the stat bugs.

Actual multiplayer coop Zelda brawling would be so much fun, especially if you don't have locked screens like 4 Swords Adventure.

Ztarlit_Sky fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Aug 9, 2014

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
I suppose this is as good a thread as any to post this in. Here's some Darksiders news.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/08/08/vigil-games-core-team-reforms-again-as-gunfire-games/#null

If you don't feel like reading the, basically what went down is that after THQ went under, Crytek hired a bunch of the Vigil dudes. But now that Crytek is in dire straights, all the Vigil dudes left and started up a new studio, Gunfire Games. They've been talking with Nordic Games, the company that bought the Darksiders IP, about making a Darksiders 3 but they want to do some other, smaller games first to get back into the groove.

Sounds like pretty good news to me.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Hopefully Nordic are willing to play ball, I would really like to see what the Darksiders team can put together when they aren't forced to release a half-finished product like DS2.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012

Astus posted:

I'm pretty sure Blade Wolf turns invincible the two times when he jumps up a wall in Revengeance. That was fun because it gave you a breather that you probably needed your first time through, and summoned some basic enemies who were only there to refill your health. In fact, I'm certain that was actually spelled out for the player in a codec call.

There's also the fact that he only does it twice at preset points, and both times he's also not directly attacking you.

Edo Animus
Feb 19, 2011

Date tres dies mihi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29Pktbl8VW0

In this video we cover the final boss and the very start of new game plus. I spent a good chunk of time farming for low level equipment to give the last boss a "fair fight" so we get to see his attacks (some I didn't even know he had!). Fear not, we didn't break the game so thoroughly to just throw it all away at the last minute. The last 8 minutes or so of the video is a discussion / rant on the ending among other unrelated topics.

I've edited out the credits here, but we'll see the full crawl after the final video in the series.

Short opinion: The ending is bad.
Slightly longer opinion: The ending is both poor and unsatisfying.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I still wonder how exactly Absalom became Corruption while all the rest of the Nephilim just got to chill in a crystal. I guess being the first Nephilim makes him special.

Yeah the ending is not great, how much of that is down to poor writing and how much of that is down to the game just being straight up unfinished I do not know.

e: One thing I will say though; Absalom's death cutscene is great. Death just does not give a poo poo.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Aug 20, 2014

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012
Despite all of this, it's funny how the game was actually still reasonably fun to play.

jaydee864
Aug 15, 2010

Life is such a drag when the whole world's falling apart
I'm glad that they didn't actually make you decide between saving the humans or saving the Nephilim with two different endings. One half-baked ending is better than one half-baked ending plus one poo poo one, in my opinion. It would've been pretty lovely if they let you just ignore Death's main motivation just because a couple of evil pricks gave him a guilt trip.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Count me as one of the people who thought the first ending was kinda badass, but I can see how someone would want an actual ending. I mean, I wanted to kill the Destroyer, I killed the Destroyer, so anything extra was just gravy for me.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Veyrall posted:

Count me as one of the people who thought the first ending was kinda badass, but I can see how someone would want an actual ending. I mean, I wanted to kill the Destroyer, I killed the Destroyer, so anything extra was just gravy for me.

I think it kind of worked because darksiders was all about clearing your name and later exposing/dealing with the corruption on the council. War had just defeated all his foes and triggered the apocalypse, and the ending was a sort of "this is our time" thing(obvious sequel bating aside). It really doesn't work here because death and his quest weren't about facing the forces of heaven, hell, and everything in between, it was about his brother and restoring humanity. The ending fails to show or conclude this at all.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I was fine with the ending of Darksiders because taking the story further into The Four Horsemen Riding Out in the same game as the story of How War hosed Up Everything And Then Tried To Fix It would have felt wierd thematically.

What I was not fine with is Darksiders 2 being rushed to 'completion' (I use that term lightly, I do not think Darksiders 2 is a completed game at all) and then the entire series being cancelled so that we never actually get to the story about the Four Horsemen Riding Out. Because I do want that story, I just don't want it in Darksiders 1. I want it in Darksiders 3 or possibly 4 if they can come up with a really good Story About Fury And Strife Doing Things. Darksiders 5 with 3 and 4 each focusing on Fury and Strife individually would be unacceptable but I could go for a 2 player co-op story about Fury And Strife Doing Things so long as the things explore some more of the Darksiders mythology.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Aug 21, 2014

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
Darksiders 3: Fury and Strife's Furious Life. A drug-fueled trip through all the wrong planets, where demonic peace activists sacrifice themselves to cultists, hard-partying angels search for the meaning of life at the bottom of a glass, and the Corruption gets mixed up with the wrong crowd and starts listening to rock music and self-harming.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
After War: Not-Zelda and Death: Not-GoW all i want from 3 is Fury as Not-Bayonetta, i couldn't care less for 4 player coop. Not that we'll ever get a 3 anyway.

The ending was pretty non-existant, but i really love the "Well im here, now i got no idea what to do" line. It highlights the absurd cluelessness of the way Death progresses through the game perfectly.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Aug 21, 2014

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
So War came crashing down early because of Lilith and ~NOT SATAN~'s plan, which started the war that killed all the humans and for which War was then imprisoned for loving poo poo up when he wasn't supposed to, for 100 years.

During this imprisonment, Death starts his crusade to clear his brother's name, and in the end sacrifices his life to resurrects the Human race. However this does nothing to "clear" War's name of wrongdoing, and it doesn't shed any light onto the conspiracy at all, it just undoes the aftermath of the first event and robs ~NOT SATAN~ of his nephalim army. In fact, Death never finds out anything about the conspiracy at all as far as I can see, and he even directly confronts Lilith, who is one of the main conspirators, but it's all about getting the demon key and he's still totally in the dark about the fact that she's the one that doomed his brother in the first place. At the very end of his journey to do something completely unrelated to what he originally set out to do, he stops the spread of corruption by destroying it's source, and yet there's still plenty of it around on Earth when War comes to visit for the second time much later.

After Death's adventure that ended with him killing himself and reviving the human race, War is placed under the Watcher's control and the council sends him back to Earth to clear out a bunch of demons and finally uncover at least some of the whole plot and then kill the destroyer. There is still a lot of corruption everywhere even though Absalom is dead, and he is still in the dark about what's actually happening. To top it all off, he doesn't even get actual revenge on anything, since Lilith is the one who puts the plan in motion, and the Destroyer is just one of her pawns that was only created AFTER War was in space-jail anyways. Lilith winds up being punished but she probably winds up enjoying anyways, and ~NOT SATAN~ still has whatever his grand plan is rolling along.

So... Death's grand adventure accomplished what exactly? It certainly wasn't bringing the humans back to life because Earth is still an empty hellscape devoid of all life save the demon's and a scant few humans that managed to avoid the purge by hiding in the first place. War is still in Jail for the crimes he supposedly cleared his brother of, and is only released on work detail to go stop the Destroyer. Finally, Death just comes back to life in the end anyways so it wasn't even some sort of heroic redemption arc.

He stops the corruption (it's still around in the future), he brings back the humans (they're still dead in the future), he clears his brother's name (he's still in jail in the future), he sacrifices himself (he comes back to life in the future), I just don't understand how they could justify this stories existence since it resolves absolutely nothing.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

While the plot is weird, the games run parallel, so I don't think you're understanding it right.

We never see the fruits of Death's labors because 3 was never made.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Male of the Century posted:

He stops the corruption (it's still around in the future), he brings back the humans (they're still dead in the future), he clears his brother's name (he's still in jail in the future), he sacrifices himself (he comes back to life in the future), I just don't understand how they could justify this stories existence since it resolves absolutely nothing.

A lot of this would have been resolved in the third game, but I think you're kind of missing the point.

While Death was looking to clear his brother's name, resurrecting humanity doesn't necessarily absolve War. They're two separate but related things. Death was looking to prove War's innocence as well as resurrecting humanity ("He didn't do it, here's proof, also humanity is back now, quit your bitching and let him go"). Darksiders 1 also revealed that even before War was sent out for the second time, the Council already knew he was innocent (revealed in the whole Tree of Knowledge sequence). So while Death didn't really succeed at the whole "prove your brother is innocent" deal, Darksiders 1 already tackled that plot thread - the Charred Council was the one who summoned War in the first place, they knew he was innocent because they were the ones who sent him there and they did it on purpose to frame him so he'd track down the conspirators and murder the poo poo out of them. Since it was more or less the entire point of the first game, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to rehash it for the second.

Stopping the source of corruption won't necessarily instantly erase all of the existing corruption spread all over the loving place. Sure, it'll be gone eventually, but as indicated throughout the games poo poo isn't exactly in a peaceful state and things tainted by corruption are really rather dangerous. Plus they might be able to spread it themselves to a lesser degree. Also if the Charred Council is tainted by capital-C Corruption that'd be another thing to tackle in the third game.

Death sacrificing himself to resurrect humanity also doesn't really imply that humanity is going to just show up again right where they died. In fact, if that were the case, it would be even more pointless because Earth is covered in demons. Humanity would be annihilated all over again, probably even faster the second time. And it's not like the riders haven't ever died and come back before - Darksiders 1 started with War getting killed on Earth (by Straga) and then resurrected by the Charred Council, and ends with War getting killed again (by Uriel), this time being resurrected by the breaking of the Seventh Seal. Hell, (comic book spoilers) Death uses War as a decoy and later comes back to find him dead - Death personally resurrects him and feels bad about getting him killed.

The third game almost certainly would have actually moved the plot forward and dealt with the Riders waging war against the (lower-case c) corruption of the Charred Council. The Riders would convene, Death would point out "hey I know we're up against Heaven, Hell and the Council, but while you were dead I resurrected the Third Kingdom so maybe we should track them down and get them to help since the kind of owe us", and the Riders would go stomp on the Council, Lilith, and the mysterious voice from the post-credits cutscene (Satan or the equivalent ruler of Hell) while the forces of Heaven cross their arms, toss their hair stubbornly, and pout.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
The plots can't run parallel otherwise Death would have been on Earth at the same time War was, and Uriel very clearly hasn't met up with War and started her revenge arc. She didn't mention War being around at all.

And I don't buy for a second that the whole game took place over the span of a hundred years or so, since the driving plot is that the corruption is taking over and soon everything will be consumed. Darksiders 1 I can buy it because there is a literal break in the story, but there is nothing like that in 2. This mixed with the whole "TIME IS RUNNING OUT" attitude everyone has doesn't add up to it taking more than maybe a month, a year in "videogame time" tops.

I'm pretty sure the devs have also said that it takes place in the span that War is out of commission, at least that's what they were saying before the game came out and everyone was super hype that it was going to be the 4PC game we all wanted.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I don't remember Corruption making an appearance in Darksiders, only Darksiders 2. When did it appear in Darksiders?

And yeah, dying really isn't an issue for the Horsemen. The Council put together this really elaborate and powerful set of magical rules surrounding the Horsemen which basically renders them undefeatable and eternal when the rules are active; even in death the Horsemen are still called to serve the Council.

Olesh posted:

The third game almost certainly would have actually moved the plot forward and dealt with the Riders waging war against the (lower-case c) corruption of the Charred Council. The Riders would convene, Death would point out "hey I know we're up against Heaven, Hell and the Council, but while you were dead I resurrected the Third Kingdom so maybe we should track them down and get them to help since the kind of owe us", and the Riders would go stomp on the Council, Lilith, and the mysterious voice from the post-credits cutscene (Satan or the equivalent ruler of Hell) while the forces of Heaven cross their arms, toss their hair stubbornly, and pout.

Apparently the plans for the third game involved the Horsemen going to Hell and fighting Lucifer, who is NotSatan and ultimately responsible for all of this since it was all probably his plan to begin with.

Male of the Century posted:

I'm pretty sure the devs have also said that it takes place in the span that War is out of commission, at least that's what they were saying before the game came out and everyone was super hype that it was going to be the 4PC game we all wanted.

Yeah Darksiders 2 takes place during the x-hundred years that War was imprisoned; aka it takes place between the prologue of Darksiders and the main game. By the time War lands on Earth again for the main game of Darksiders the events of Darksiders 2 are already long concluded and Death has been dead for some time.

Why the Council chose to withhold from War that Humanity had in fact been restored and were presumably currently floating about somewhere safe while the Council tried to work out where to put them I do not know. Perhaps the Council themselves didn't actually know and Humanity would have followed Death to Earth when War broke the Seventh Seal; Death arriving for the apocalypse at the head of a billions-strong army of Humanity would have been pretty neat.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Aug 22, 2014

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's kind of weird how Lilith and ~NOT_SATAN~ think the Nephilim will be on their side after Death... frees...

Oh.

Were they planning on Corruption killing Death and using the humans to free everyone from his crystal heart?

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Glazius posted:

It's kind of weird how Lilith and ~NOT_SATAN~ think the Nephilim will be on their side after Death... frees...

Oh.

Were they planning on Corruption killing Death and using the humans to free everyone from his crystal heart?

I think they were counting on his guilt overriding his philadelphia.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Remember that Lilith made the Nephilim and that the last time the Nephilim were chilling in creation they tried to break it (creation, all of it) so assume Lucifer's goal is something that involves destruction the Nephilim probably would actually side with him, or at least be open to the idea.

The Four Horsemen (mostly Death) didn't kill the Nephilim for fun, they killed the Nephilim because the Nephilim were actively trying to undermine creation itself by throwing the universe's largest temper tantrum about the fact that they didn't get to have a kingdom of their own because they aren't part of the three kingdoms.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
I wanna say the Kingdom of Man is only there to act as a buffer/proving ground for the Angels and Demons, so it's really the Two Kingdoms and their race of Whipping Boys.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Veyrall posted:

I wanna say the Kingdom of Man is only there to act as a buffer/proving ground for the Angels and Demons, so it's really the Two Kingdoms and their race of Whipping Boys.

The Kingdom of Man was supposed to be allowed to grow for thousands more years before the apocalypse would happen to allow all Three Kingdoms to be equal, that's specifically why Lilith (probably at Lucifer's behest) set the apocalypse off early. Lucifer didn't want to give the Third Kingdom a chance to reach its full might and decided to kill it off while it was still a weak child.

Basically the Apocalypse was supposed to be Angels vs Demons vs Space Marines. When Men fought Angels and Demons we were supposed to have space ships and plasma cannons and power armor and all sorts of crazy future tech that would have evened the playing field.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Aug 26, 2014

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Lucifer probably foresaw a huge IP infrigement lawsuit and decided to nip that problem at the bud.

Edo Animus
Feb 19, 2011

Date tres dies mihi.
Just a quick update on the progress of the videos. There are a few reasons these last few updates are taking longer than usual:

1) The next video requires me to play all the way (basically) to the end of New Game + before I can even start editing. But fret not, things are coming along.

2) Real life obligations including a video series that people paid money for, so I'm working on that as well (yay for money, though).

3) Speaking of money, crunch time means overtime at real life work place money station getter!

4) It's been 14 months and I'm getting pretty tired of playing Darksiders 2. Nonetheless, the last proper video will be a good send off to an honestly great game. The storytelling was blah but the characters are good and there's still a true final boss to fight!

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Would you say you were bored to death of it?

Edo Animus
Feb 19, 2011

Date tres dies mihi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLgNXz0fUh4

This episode is all about the journey to max level (in this case, 30). New Game Plus mode is not much different from the regular game; there are two new weapons (one of which we saw in the last video) and not much else. So, I went ahead and cut down to the highlights.

Enjoy this boss rush compilation of NG+!

Just one more DLC chapter and the true final boss at the end of the Crucible to go!

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
a=a is a reflexive statement, and the notion you're alluding to is, I think, that a logical conclusion is equivalent to its premises.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
I approve of the Passivist.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

You two are great.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
I am alarmed by those scythes. There wasn't a thing in the game that could touch you before, and then you went higher.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Veyrall posted:

I am alarmed by those scythes. There wasn't a thing in the game that could touch you before, and then you went higher.

If you can break the game to 10, then why stop there? Why not 20 or 30?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
You guys do realize that chatting about DmC just makes me want to watch you two LP the game even more, right? You teases?

• Locked thread