Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
No car work this weekend. Just shop progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Serious FD questions.

Is Banzai Racing a well known tuner of FDs? Should that weigh in on a potential purchase?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I'm going to cautiously answer yes- only because I have not worked on a car he has tuned. I have used his base maps, but I had to adjust them for our climate here in Oregon.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Worked on the car tonight after fixing my 135i. I finished swapping the mazdaspeed struts/springs on and taking a few more parts off.
After, I decided it was time to crack the engine. It mainly consisted of me going "Oh god". It's hosed.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

the spyder posted:

I'm going to cautiously answer yes- only because I have not worked on a car he has tuned. I have used his base maps, but I had to adjust them for our climate here in Oregon.

Well the seller's behavior has turned me off of the car. I think I'm going to wait a bit longer, add to the budget a bit and start looking again in at the end of fall.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Woah that is f'ed.
What could have caused that?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
He claims he popped the rear iron heatercore line off and it overheated. It's one of the worst I have seen. Every iron is shot. The rear and center have 1" breaks in the coolant jacket. The front has had the nitrate baked out. The only salvageable bits are the rotors/stationary gear. We were really hoping we could sell it after Pineapple refreshed it- but alas. The parts will go up forsale.

parid
Mar 18, 2004
I'll take the oil pressure regulator and oil pump if it will fit my cone topped application :).

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Yes they will! And they will be a good upgrade.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I can't believe how gross that engine is. I wonder how long it ran on oil-fuel-water premix. :v:

The question is if the massive overheating happened before, after or during the electrical fire. I don't envy you the work but I have a feeling I'll desire the end result.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Judging by the bearing wear- it was done during one trip. Otherwise I would have washed out bearings from the awesome coolant/oil mix.

In the shadows... a new shop lurks!

Utility Miata?

Anything that comes in an anti-static bag- does NOT belong bolted to a engine block.

Decided to clean the engine bay.

What the hell is this poo poo? More hacked wiring...

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

the spyder posted:

Anything that comes in an anti-static bag- does NOT belong bolted to a engine block.

The BMW new-generation engines' external electric waterpump! :downs:

Last one i did with the coolant flange/thermostat housing and had to remove the steering rack for access.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Mooseykins posted:

The BMW new-generation engines' external electric waterpump! :downs:

Last one i did with the coolant flange/thermostat housing and had to remove the steering rack for access.

That would have been easier... I wish I had my lift up. Soooooooon! :D

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I spent too much money yesterday- this shop has me broke. At least this way I can finish the Black 94 Turbo upgrade. I'm still needing two 5/8-18 to 1/4NPT adapters though- I went to four places and just got funny looks. Oh well.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I just got done with my latest round of equipping my shop. It's so expensive it's not even funny. All that little crap adds up too, fittings and tubing for the compressor, shelves for parts storage and all that goes along with having a shop. Once it's mostly done though it's well worth it. Until you decide you need to re-arrange some things.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

What are you actually doing here?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
If you want to sell/trash any of that ECU and gauges and stuff, I'd be interested in buying/taking some of it off your hands. Those ECU cases are very useful for some stuff, and a significant bit of it can be repaired with just replacing the high power transistors.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I think that is a cooling loop for the TIG welder.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

Verifying that the $30 pump I bought off ebay works. I ended up with two somehow and one hums- the other is good though.

*Further explanation:
I bought a CK 250amp Flex Head watercooled torch from my local welding supplier for cheap. Watercooling helps prevent the torch from heating up too much and you can run more power through a lighter/more flexible cable vs gas cooled. I did not want to spend $300-500 on a cooler, so I gathered a pump, radiator, and reservoir to make my own.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
I've never needed a watercooled torch until my buddy got a 250 Lincoln and we were repairing some wheels. Sure is nice though.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Today I reminded myself two things. 1) I loving love nail guns, and 2) I am a lovely carpenter. Well- not that bad, but holy poo poo did I F' up good. My building is now 13' 11-1/2" instead of 14' due to me being an idiot. It effects basically nothing, but god drat was I pissed when I realized that. Oh well. Live and learn, live and learn.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I loved your last thread...thanks for posting a new one!

I have always wanted an FD, but considering I'm deep in the throes of a motorcycle obsession, it probably won't happen for a long time. If you're still building FDs when the day comes that I decide I must own one, I'm doing a fly and drive to buy one from you.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Aaaaaand it's ready for the roof!

Hopefully next weekend we will be all set.

In the mean time, I burnt the gently caress out of my thumb welding.
#shittywelder #shittycarpenter

I do love having a mill!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Wow, I've never seen an intercooler mounted like that, but it looks clean as gently caress.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Are you going to vent the hood for that IC?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Fucknag posted:

Wow, I've never seen an intercooler mounted like that, but it looks clean as gently caress.

Thanks! I made this design a few years back for another customer and it's been a hit. Huge core, plenty of room for a intake/filter, and short pipes.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Larrymer posted:

Are you going to vent the hood for that IC?

The owner is I believe getting a mazdaspeed vented hood.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Welding tip: if you're not sure how lovely the material you are welding to is, try running a lap around. The contamination will float to the surface and you can add clean filler to weld to.

It was pretty lovely still.

Added a short 1" snout on the turbo for the 90* coupler

I did not take any pictures, but I machined the waterpump housing to clear the 90* elbow. I also blocked the unnecessary turbo water lines.

My friend Ben was over and pulled the major accessories off my Black FD in prep to yank the engine. This was around 7pm.

Then I started to get tired and broke a brand new tool. God drat it.

Before I wrapped up, I wanted to try and fix the white FD's gas door. I picked up some Devcon plastic repair at Wilco, but it was bad. The "plastic" side of the two part epoxy was rock solid and would not squeeze out until I cut the tips off. There was no way to mix it. God drat it. I gave up for the night at this point.

Shop related, the pex for our heated floor showed up.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
A heated floor is ridiculously swanky. Most shops that I've been to here in the frozen deathlands just get by with forced air.

For plastic epoxy I've used this stuff before: http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/AutoRepairAccessories/Adhesives/PRDOVR~0383718P/PermaPoxy+5+Minute+Plastic+Weld.jsp?locale=en It's Permatex so it should be pretty available.

Is your mill... a bridgeport? :v:

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Aug 19, 2013

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
We have 2!
A 1962 J-head and a 1980 Boss CNC.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Plastex:
http://www.plastex.net/
Is a good option for plastc repair. Site looks like someing out of the 90s but the product itself is fantastic. I've used it mostly for motorcycle fairings, it retains enough flex that it doesn't eventually crack and seperate.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Wow, a heated floor in a shop sounds awesome. I imagine you won't have to heat the empty space as much standing on a heated floor?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Hopefully it will keep the entire room heated around 55* year round for $30/m.

In other news, gently caress. Astro is backordered for replacement mandrels and I'm trying to wrap this up this week. I'm tempted to weld the nutsert in. Maybe I will try that later...

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

the spyder posted:

In other news, gently caress. Astro is backordered for replacement mandrels and I'm trying to wrap this up this week. I'm tempted to weld the nutsert in. Maybe I will try that later...

Take a long bolt, a nut and a suitable thrust bearing (ebay) and have you own DIY slow as gently caress Riv-Nut tool. I'm too poor/cheap/lazy to buy the right tool, and my DIY one works pretty well.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I tried and failed- my new solution is to weld a captive nut in there and call it good enough. Annoying, but it will work.

In other news, I am sick and I think it's because I have too many drat things going on. Stress = sick to stomach/can't sleep. No fun. I did however make best of staying up till 5am by watching some more welding videos. Today when I got home I had 4 packages, one with the two parts I needed to finish my watercooler. I put together a temporary setup to test for leaks and ran a few beads. Words can't describe how amazing this torch and gas lens setup are. I finally feel like I can move the torch freely. In celebration I melted many feet of filler rod before remembering all I was using for coolant was tap water and a bucket... Opps- it worked though and was still cool to the touch. I need to practice feeding the filler, but I got the move/feed step down in my mind.
I can't seem to get ahold of my welding buddies either, so I am going to try and weld everything up tomorrow night on the vmount. Maybe after some more practice... haha.

The $6 fittings to go from 5/8 - 18 LH to 1/4 NPT.

Temp plumbing.

I :heart: this torch.

Slowly getting better...

My painter called and is ready to shoot everything for the white car :Icantwait:

I did find out some bad news today, I have the wrong Proto pump- these do not have the internal bypass/pressure adjustment and I found out the hard way that too much pressure=leaking pump. My ghetto plumbing (T as a relief, clamped to regulate flow) works for now.

In unrelated news: This is why I hate the local RX7 community. Basically, two people who should not even be working on rotaries are fighting over what little business there is, on craigslist.

Idiot 1 posts both of these back to back.
http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/pts/4011057152.html
http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/pts/4011050778.html

Idiot 2 responds and slanders me/pineapple racing, but speaks of himself in the third person.

Idiot unknown posts this:
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/pts/4012835896.html

Idiot 2 removed earlier posting and replies with this:
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/pts/4013312158.html

The funny thing to me is, this doesn't effect either Pineapple or myself- I only work on 3rd gen's now and I have a 6 month waiting list. Pineapple still builds his engines and is booked. It's like a terrible sitcom from the late 80's, but on craigslist. loving idiots.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Aug 20, 2013

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Why isn't this thread called "Spyder's Rotary Club"?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Uh, I don't get it. Did you kick the guy's dog or something? Why would someone slander you for no reason?

Aflicted
Jun 9, 2007

leica posted:

Uh, I don't get it. Did you kick the guy's dog or something? Why would someone slander you for no reason?

Clearly it is because of his pour work and he doesn't really through on NEW PARTS!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

What's that about you stealing stuff?

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

the spyder posted:

I :heart: this torch.

Is that a CK torch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Larrymer posted:

What's that about you stealing stuff?

I have no clue what he is talking about. The irony is, he owes me $2k for a car he never finished paying off and parts I included. I lost the drat contract we had, live and learn. I really wish I had screen shot the one before, or the one before that. They were something along the lines of my business is a failure, that I am the engine builder for Pineapple, that I'm a kid and my dad funded my shop. I really think he is off his meds. I'm saving all of them from now on, just in case Pineapple and myself want to pursue legal action.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Aug 20, 2013