Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
$3 for a new spring and I pickup the painted parts tomorrow: loving awesome.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Well, today sucked, but there was progress on the FD.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

That looks 1000x better.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'm not a fan of the plate bumper, but if you need to put on a front plate what can you do.

Paint looks great.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Ugh, that looks so good. Best FD colour is a tie between Chaste White and Innocent Blue Mica. Are you using OE 99 spec bumper parts?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
All OEM:

$499 OEM 99 bumper
$620 OEM 99 reinforcement
$120 OEM 99 under tray
$200 OEM 99 Lip
$400 OEM 99 combo lights
$200 OEM 99 Brake ducts
$15 Miata M badge

It's not cheap to do it OEM/Right.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Uhhhhhhhhnn that is gorgeous. Like want to sell my s2000 and get an FD gorgeous.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
You're doing God's own work, son. Keep it up.

(I kind of wish I had bought an FD instead of my Talon as a replacement but I was a little too heavily invested in DSM junk to buy one at that point. :sigh: )

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Well, i'm exhausted- but it was worth it.

Ready to go together...

The famous rats nest- mines had the emissions removed.

Installed a new 5th gear syncro while I had the chance- the old one was missing 1/2 the teeth.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Man, it's really come together quickly. I guess it helps to have a garage full of this stuff and, you know, run a shop that focuses on it.

Why do you have so many FDs and so few FB/FCs? It is usually the opposite up here - LHD FDs are almost impossible to find.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I would wager because I have had so many second gens, something like 27... I'm finally starting to want a Turbo II and a Turbo Vert again.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Oh, I forgot-

Interior is 95% back together.

And the engine is installed and it runs!

Bumper fitted.

Goodnight.

I also fixed my TIG water cooler and roofed the rest of the shop today. I'm going to go pass out to top gear, haha.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Goddamn, you get poo poo done.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

No poo poo. That thing went from Bondo disaster to beautiful in no time flat.

God I want an FD.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I want a bone stock red on tan FD with no wing so bad. I had an opportunity a few years ago to get one cheap from a mazda shop but it had issues and I was scared. It looked perfect though and was the most gorgeous car :(

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I still need to clean the overflow out, put in the fender liners, and bolt up the undertray/brake ducts- but I drove it :smuggo:. gently caress yes. This car is going to be a blast!

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
As it turns out, if you fall asleep with your shorts on, you will loose the only key to your newly finished car and spend an hour trying to find it.

I still have dozen things to fix, but it's good enough to take my son to school in tomorrow morning for his first day of kindergarden.

The shop has a roof!

Ah-ha! So that's where all my money went. (Minus the wife/kid/tools... haha.)

Typical weather, the next few days were supposed to be nice and this coming weekend was supposed to suck. This ofcourse flipped and I had to toss the ridge cap on temporarily to keep rain out of the insulation. Got it done in time to take some awesome pictures.

Oregon sunset.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Your son is off to a good start pulling up to school in a car that awesome. Good parenting!

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I got more glares from other parents than anything, hahaha. Oh well- today is starting off interesting as always. I can't wait for this short week to be over. I'm thinking of making a custom air box. Not happy with how the huge K+N's fit right now.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

the spyder posted:

I got more glares from other parents than anything, hahaha.

You know you're doing it right, then :cool:

"Well you see, my son can count to eleven." *long rolling burnout*

Aflicted
Jun 9, 2007
I was searching for a new car right around when my son was born. S2000 was gone, Audi was just too... Audi. I saw a guy with his son sitting in a booster seat in the front of his 911 and my wife could read my thoughts as she said... yeah, not gonna happen. Maybe when he gets to a forward facing seat :)

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
My father keeps asking when I'm going to buy a Porsche... I've started looking at 911's... :D

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Aflicted posted:

I was searching for a new car right around when my son was born. S2000 was gone, Audi was just too... Audi. I saw a guy with his son sitting in a booster seat in the front of his 911 and my wife could read my thoughts as she said... yeah, not gonna happen. Maybe when he gets to a forward facing seat :)

When my daughter was little there used to be a woman who took her little one to playgroup in a ...I forget which model Porsche. One of the big curvy ones. Soft top. Child seat in the front of course.

Where I live now it's about 80% 4x4s, with a smattering of Falcons, Commodores and the occasional van. Nothing interesting at all.

Aflicted
Jun 9, 2007

the spyder posted:

My father keeps asking when I'm going to buy a Porsche... I've started looking at 911's... :D

I am quickly being seduced by the new Cayman, there is just something about it. I have long lusted for a 911 and basically stopped talking to my uncle when he sold his to someone other than me. It sat in his garage so lonely and undriven for so long that I started pestering him to sell it to me. He scoffs at the idea for years and then out of nowhere sells it to someone and never bothers to ask if I was still interested.

General_Failure posted:

When my daughter was little there used to be a woman who took her little one to playgroup in a ...I forget which model Porsche. One of the big curvy ones. Soft top. Child seat in the front of course.

Where I live now it's about 80% 4x4s, with a smattering of Falcons, Commodores and the occasional van. Nothing interesting at all.

Sounds like a Boxster. You are down in Australia or NZ though right? I would think in most rural places there that 4x4 would be common. They do sell 911's with AWD :cool:

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Literally a week before I found out my Son was on the way, I had looked at a 03 C4S. Ofcourse there was no way I would buy one shortly after, but I have started lusting after the older air cooled 911's. I don't think it will be any time soon, but I would love to find one.

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010
I wish I lived in a place with 0 snow load :canada:

Edit: I Hope your adding shear walls and are just doing it last for some strange reason

Seatbelts fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Sep 4, 2013

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
I have lusted after FDs for a good long time and your thread inspired me to open my wallet to craigslist. I took a drive in a 93 RHD FD that was imported to :canada: a year or so ago. It has 89000km on the stock drivetrain with the only aftermarket parts being an oil and water temp gauge and a single DIN navigation system. At one point the car was red, as told by the engine bay. The story I head was that it had bumper and fender damage in 1999 and was repaired. At that time the owner then chose to have it painted Pearl White, door jambs included. The panel gap is a little off on the drivers side door and fender but fine on all others. I was not able to hear it start from cold, but it flashed up right away, shifted well and drove strong. The only very apparent mechanical issue, as noted by an inspection at a local shop, is that the front balljoints are worn and bang while going around corners, and that they do. I may be able to pick this up for around $6K, is that too much for the year / history / current shape?

parid
Mar 18, 2004
That price could be great to bad. Depends on what else is wrong and that the diagnostic of clank is good, quality of the body work, health of the engine... Ect. There are a lot of common problems (the clunk you describe could also be bushings which are bad is they are the factory units) and upgrades needed ( cooling mainly ). Find a local expert and have it inspected. You are just rolling the dice otherwise.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Seatbelts posted:

I wish I lived in a place with 0 snow load :canada:

Edit: I Hope your adding shear walls and are just doing it last for some strange reason

The floor must be poured first, then the walls go up. I have no doubt this would currently hold the ~1ft of snow we get each year. It was engineered to support solar water panels.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Shop update: Installed the 2x12x12/10 forms. Now I just need the foam and rebar to show up :)

Cleaned up the building materials.

Another awesome day before the rain...

Replaced the dual k+n filters with a single knighsports I had laying around. Made a air drat to prevent the radiator air blasting the filter.

Made a filler rod holder for my TIG.

Next up, I want to make a smaller battery tray and build a new intercooler.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 9, 2013

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

You have a loving watchtower on your property?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Rhyno posted:

You have a loving watchtower on your property?

Probably a deer blind.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Haha, no. It's a well tower. 500gal cedar barrel at the top, 1hp engine at the ground floor, 30ft well. Provided pressurized water via gravity to the property back in 1891.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

the spyder posted:

Haha, no. It's a well tower. 500gal cedar barrel at the top, 1hp engine at the ground floor, 30ft well. Provided pressurized water via gravity to the property back in 1891.

Neat!

Is it still in use?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

the spyder posted:

That's a fancy drop tank. Needs a fake sniper rifle sticking out the hole toward the driveway

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Haha, that's the water level mount- it's been taken down for painting. It's no longer in use- we have a normal 150ft deep well. I used to have a thread about the house, but it fell in to the archives.

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

Screw practicality, best 1 mile commute ever.

the spyder posted:

Bumper fitted.

Spyder, I want you to know that this image was single-handedly responsible for me buying an FD. God dammit.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

ironblock posted:

Spyder, I want you to know that this image was single-handedly responsible for me buying an FD. God dammit.

Pics!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I just figured out FD = financial disasters :downsgun:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
You have made a terrible mistake Ironblock, lol.

Sorry for the lack of updates, the next few steps on the shop are taking all my attention.

Tractor stuff: I finally got the blade for my 78' 314 John Deere. It needs to be completely gone through, but it should be a great lawn tractor when I am done.

Awesome Oregon sky. Have to enjoy it while I can. Fall is here.

Installed the end cap.

This bloody thing. I never thought this little compactor would try and shake me apart quite as it did.

My brother got me some awesome bottle openers for my birthday.

More awesome sky.

Decided to buy some cheap construction lights to hang in the shop for now.

Well, my bad news is, either our slab is tilted or the building is. The floor is 7" in one corner, 8.5" in the other. This has to be fixed before we can move forward. Regardless we will correct it in the slab. Everything on the building is level.