Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Aw I thought you were going to post the next C+C :( I have the top down on the Boxster for hopefully a while...

e: gd lovely page snipe in a thread someone else started UGH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
The local (Portland Cars and Coffee) was a 6:45am decision :D. I'll keep the other thread up to date though - I've been slacking.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Well, I'm officially burnt out from work. For like the third time. This time it hit me like a brick wall. I took next week off to decide what I want to do. The higher-ups are working with me and understand it would take 3 people to replace me - but that's a sign of bigger problems (under staffed, too many projects, not enough SME's in different areas.) I can't carry this place on my shoulders (with several other amazing individuals) and I'm done working ops. I left that role years ago.
/work rant - here's hoping things get better or I find a new role with more pay and less stress. I've already updated my resume and have two head hunters after me. I'll be fine, I just really like the current place, first time I've really felt "at home".

It's been quiet around the house/shop.
I volunteered with my son for his schools fund-raiser, running the local fireworks stand. Never have I been given so much responsibility with less than 5 minutes of training.... it went fine.

I drove the White FD to see how many would stop to check it out, since the stand was just off the main road in our small town. The answer was way more than I expected.

I showed the 94 Montego Blue with 9K on it to a potential buyer. If he doesn't follow through, it's getting photos for bring-a-trailer this week.

I remember when I looked forward to packages arriving. The last few have felt like going to the dentist. I'm not sure if it's the backlog of projects I've got going, the inflation causing everything to cost more, or the lack of interest I have working in the shop due to work-burnout. But I'll start chipping away at these, one at a time.
The "black box" for the 2001 control system in my White 94 finally arrived from Japan. My current unit has several sticky/leaking solenoids and new was the best option for my build. I can't tell you how much nicer working with this system is VS the traditional solenoid rack.

I snagged a new rear badge for the White 94. I'll try to install it today.

I also picked up a set of new, rebuilt LCA for some future project. These are NLA for the drivers side and I had a pair in my cart when they went on clearance, but never pulled the trigger. Thankfully someone did and then never used them. Got them for cost+shipping, so I'm happy to have spares. The lower ball joint is non-serviceable, without a sawzall and some hackery I don't want to get into for a street car.

Yellow Porsche update: The 3 bolt 912E heads arrived from AA Performance. For china castings, they are nice reproductions. I'll see if I can get my air cooled buddy over to help install them.

95% of the F250 parts have arrived. I need to soak the old u-joints down the penetrant today. I can't put it back together - yet - due to a missing set of outer axle dust seals. Kinda a bummer they are a week behind everything else, but I've got plenty of other things to do.

I hope you all have a safe and relaxing holiday weekend for the US goons. I think I'll skip the $$$$ in fireworks this year and just enjoy the neighbors show.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jul 1, 2022

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Forgot to post the Cars and Coffee photos from two weeks ago.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
And here's today's Red/White/Blue edition of C+C.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Interesting mix! I'm not a big light blue guy, but every time I see a 3000 in this spec, my god. :drat:

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I missed this but apparently caught the end of it because I followed that black Falcon for about 5 minutes saturday morning. How can I get notified of these things?

Edit: Of course you posted it in the PNW thread and I missed it. ugh.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 5, 2022

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Dump!

I took the week of the 4th off to relax. Spoiler - I worked half the time... But it let me catch up with some friends about cars.
I did a "broken car" tour Saturday. First was this 1993 Single Turbo that has not ran in years. We tried to start it and had no fuel pressure. Turns out the walbro's locked solid :(. He's got new pumps on order.

Next up is the 1994 Montego Blue. It had some form of internal damage in 2012 and was parked. The owner recently moved out of state and wanted to know what to do with it.
Oddly enough, I assembled all the accessories for Rob@Pineapple on this motor, but did not install it. So I'm going to take it on and do the R+R, dropping the motor off with Rob to see what he did. There's more on this, but I'll save it for when I pick it up.

Related: He asked if I want this 1989 Supra Turbo....

Next up was my buddies 13P P-Port FC that just would not charge. He put a DC Power 180AMP alt on it and it kept sucking his battery dry.

I had a theory and used jumper cables to test it.

Yep. Insufficient power and ground. Ground mainly. I also converted it to the (supported) single wire config. It's super clean now.

We ran a temporary 4G and ground strap to the battery, but we're going to move it to the trunk soon.

He's been driving it and no issues so far.

My elderly neighbor came over asking if I would look at their mower. The volunteer that mows their lawn was concerned because they saw a mouse. And the deck adjustment was stuck.

Confirmed the mouse.

Thankfully no damage. The deck height was just a user error. This X540 has power deck lift and power steering! The heigh was simply maxed out on the adjustment knob. Reset it and tested, no issues. I tried it on their property, holy crap am I glad I bought my Hustler Zero Turn. It's easy 40-50% faster mowing.

Safety princess was pretending to drive the tractor. :swoon:

Oil filter testing: No update - but we're working on building testing criteria and documenting it. Spoiler, 6 of these filters are the same!

Truck update: God drat it.
I'm happy I spent the money, but god.drat.it. This whole front end was hosed.

Pro tip. Don't use a random piece of pipe to install the axle seal. I hosed up 2x $35 seals, which would have bought me the OTC tool. drat it.

With the help (motivation) of my neighbor, I got it all back together. Aaaand the steering is 100% hosed now. Might as well do the tie rod ends and do a quick alignment. It's definitely better, but I'm realizing removing those giant loving tires caused the suspension to relax and throw everything off. I just can't keep tossing $$$$ at this thing. I'm at ~$13k now and that's what the truck is worth. Don't get me wrong, still love it. Just hitting that value vs. use problem. I've put 100 miles on it and now Diesel is $6/gal... I might keep it or I might sell it. We'll see. EDIT - just saw a discussion over a 200k 7.3 XLT with rust for $11k and needing work. Maybe my 7.3 Lariat Crew Cab Short bed with 99k is worth $15k due mainly to the body damage. Either way, it's worth more than I thought.

I randomly smoked ribs. 7/10 - would do again with less brown sugar and more natural flavor.

My friend Jesse's 95 (the car I rebuild for his wedding that never happened) has been sitting here since last winter. Nothing really wrong with it, but it needs a oil pan leak fixed and some upgrades done while we're in here. His work has been kicking his butt, so I've been washing/driving it every month. I'm growing tired of it sitting so expect progress on it soon.

My friend Ben disappeared for 2 years and FINALLY came over to work on his truck. This day was all about cleaning. We spent three hours trying to magic-erase the tree gunk off it :(. It cleaned up well and hopefully there will be more progress soon.

Farm truck has been promoted to Farm Truck.

MSM is desperately in need of some maintenance. It rolled over 90k and all the rubber seals are done, it's time for fluids, and I'm pretty sure the crank position sensors on its way out. I'll start acquiring parts slowly and knock it out this winter.

We've had some great sunsets.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 15, 2022

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

These 2 in sequence are amusing.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Dump!

We're finally tackling the roof repair on several of our buildings left over from the ice storm two years ago. There's sheathing damage, 40+yr old shingles, and general deterioration on this 1900's era buildings that make up the property. The PO last roofed this walnut dryer some time in the late 70's from what we can tell. It held up well for it's age, but it was first on the list. Working on a building that's 6ft off the ground on one side and 24+ on the back side is NOT my idea of fun. We also straightened the coupula with a come-along/straps. Once it was back in place, we re-inforced the inside with sheathing.
$1500 in materials later...

Next up: Random house stuff.
Built a trellis.

Son had a leak in the tire on the zero-turn, didn't catch it, drove on it for 1/2 acre... yeaaaaa. Sidewalls gone. Tomorrow I'll track down a new tire.

Trucks been helping move firewood.

We started picking up free traegers of FB Marketplace. $80 later and we had two running units. One had a bad controller, the other a struck screw/bad motor. Scrubbed them down with oven cleaner, pressure washed, and next is paint.

Made some jerky on the large one to test it out.

Weather has been fantastic.

The Red truck has been putting in work. I did not take a photo, but we replaced the master - finally solving the soft brake pedal it's had for the last 10 years. Why did I wait so long....sigh.
Picked up Ben's FC for a cool project. His road is more forrest-than-road at this point. Barely made it with the new trailer.

And we picked up the 94 project from two weeks prior. More on this soon.

Shop power:
Recently I found my "temporary a year ago" L14-50R had broken/cracked the plastic housing. It was just a cheap dryer style receptacle. The outlet boxes had
also become wiggly from years use - this "temporary wiring" has been here way longer than expected. As soon as copper comes down, I'll run a code-legal permanent feeder and get this place wired. Anyways - I wanted to split the lights on to two switches, fix the outlets, make the Tesla charger safer, yada-yada-yada. So $100 at Home Depot later...

It's fixed. I really liked how it cleaned up. Sorry no before photo.

The last thing I did today was wash my elderly neighbors car. I've been doing some mowing, clearing over on their property and I couldn't stand how bad it looked. I ended up having to soak it in 30 second outdoor cleaner to kill the mold/mildew/moss. The giant pressure washer barely touched it until it had a good soak.

Sorry no after photo - just image a clean (exterior) Forrester you've all seen 100 times. We won't talk about the inside... not touching that with a 10' pole.

Final bit: I had a hard time sleeping Thursday so I snuck out and took some car photos late at night. These are the two I liked. Excuse the filter on #1.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jul 25, 2022

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Weekend dump!

No progress on the 94 Montego Blue Touring yet.

Instead here's some pics. Details tomorrow.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

:yeshaha:

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Not picture quoting again but _hello_...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Oh my do I have disappointing news.
It's not mine and I did not buy it.

However you can! It's for sale locally and if the current buyer backs out, I'll have it listed on Bring A Trailer soon.
If my brains not cooked from the beach, 1984 GS, 1 owner, 50k miles, always garaged.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Aw :(

It's only a GS, but in that condition it's gonna go for a pretty penny.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

the spyder posted:

Oh my do I have disappointing news.
It's not mine and I did not buy it.

However you can! It's for sale locally and if the current buyer backs out, I'll have it listed on Bring A Trailer soon.
If my brains not cooked from the beach, 1984 GS, 1 owner, 50k miles, always garaged.

Do you want one? I have a few if you have engines.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

mekilljoydammit posted:

Do you want one? I have a few if you have engines.

Man, that sounds familiar. :P

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Just saw a pristine white FD heading east on 18 from Lincoln City around 12-1pm and figured I saw Spyder in the wild.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

El Jebus posted:

Just saw a pristine white FD heading east on 18 from Lincoln City around 12-1pm and figured I saw Spyder in the wild.

You did not sadly, I haven't been to LC since we picked up the Yellow 912e. I wonder who it was. I only know of four white cars in the NW, two of them are at my house.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Mid week dump:

I may have forgotten the last time I changed the trucks oil.... at least with the 1qt every 2k miles, the oil has been "fresh". Oops.

My buddy's 95 finally got some attention. I decided to install the oil pan he bought last year to solve a oil leak. FD's are notoriously hard to seal and this was before I made my pans with Rob.

Opened the box and... it's bare aluminum. He paid extra for it to be coated. This whole oil pan has been a complete cluster F. It's the same pan that was damaged in shipping and the guy initially refused to replace. Too late now. It got a coat of caliper paint.

Hurm. There's no central origin point and I sealed this pan - so I started to question what/where it was leaking from.

In service move.

Noticed this while tearing it down, what the gently caress did he hit? Yea these are supposed to be parallel surfaces.

Ground off swaybar mounts.

Oil pan removed. There was 0 break in the RTV, perfect seal. Looking closer the power steering rack itself is leaking. Well, too late to turn back and he already bought the pan...

I wanted no chance of the o-ring leaking, so excuse the extra RTV.

The kit came with some nasty dollar store hardware, so I replaced it with some of my nice Yellow Zinc stuff.

New pan installed.

I had a KTS swaybar brace on the shelf for the CYM, so I tossed it on. He owes me. lol

Oil topped and filter changed.

I also fixed a loose steering linkage bolt, torn air return hose, and found the turbo control actuator loose. I haven't driven it, because I don't want to put $50 in the tank just for a joy ride. He'll be down soon enough.

I made some progress on the wood windows. I had to re-machine the frames, taking a 1/2" off each side and re-cutting the tenon depth. A (happy) mistake when measuring - as I can't add wood back easily, thankfully it was just removing.

We've had the worst luck with nails/blowouts in tires this year. This is the second tire this little trailer ate after a trip to the dump and then the spare shredded just a few hundred feet from our house. Yes I know it was rotten, but it got us home. It's now got two new tires.

With my son driving me up the wall, I decided a good project for him to tackle is painting the trailer. I had him pressure wash it to prep it.

Well... turns out the ply rotted. Guess we're doing a quick and cheap rebuild.

I finally got the tires I ordered for the mower. Turns out the best option (in stock/price) were Hoosiers!

We've been making ok progress on reroofing buildings. There's still three roofs remaining.

The 280ZX is gone! It's been replaced with a 1996 RHD previously featured. Has a nasty electrical issue. More on this soon.

A free RX-8 appears! More on this later.

I've had this new badge for the last year, finally installed it. I'm liking the red on white theme.

These wheels really grew on me.

I pulled and processed honey. I've been light on the bee content because I took a break from trying to maintain our apiary. I'm down to just a couple hives, but that will change. We pulled ~150lbs of honey or apex 5 gallons once processed.

We made another beach trip with the kids. I really need to take another week off and just head over.

I've got a number of projects where the F250 would be a better truck for weight capacity and fuel economy. So, time to finish up a few things and put it into road service.

First up, I've had the new seat covers and foam seat bottoms sitting in the box for months. With the warm weather I decided to use it to my advantage to help relax and stretch it on. For the $$$$ I paid, I like them. Definitely gives the truck a whole new feel.

I found this mud wasp nest under the hood. Shows you how little I've been using it.

Now that the seats were installed, I wanted to clean up all the grime from the PO. The steamer, a brush, and some APC made quick work of it. It's not perfect, but it's way better.

With the theme of finishing projects with stuff I've already acquired, I wanted to change the rear diff fluid. I had ordered
a Dorman aluminum replacement cover and a case of Amsoil Severe Service gear oil. Decided it was finally time to swap it.
Light on pictures, but you get the idea.

Clean fluid came out and after a quick brake-clean bath, everything looked to clean up nicely.

I didn't like the bare aluminum, so I quickly painted diff cover with caliper paint.

Nothing flashy and I don't have to worry about the rusted cover.

Did someone mention rust? I'm going to pretend I didn't see this and deal with it next year, after I've shaken some of it off.

I decided to treat myself to a freshly charged AC system. It was only low about 1 12oz can. Blows ice cold now.

I took it for a test drive and.... the steering is hosed. It's all over the road with any smaller bumps. I may not have noticed it around the property - I just though the wheel needed re-aligned after the cab-off. But nope. All the joints/pitman/idler are tight. My poor mans tape measure alignment says it's dead on square.
There's just no assist in power-assist at idle and the wheel just bounces back and fourth in your hand while driving. I'm going to start
with a reman power steering pump unless someone has experience with the hydra boost setups. It's not foaming or squealing - just terrible steering feel/movement.

Two steps forward, one step back.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Aug 18, 2022

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Are those strand-walkers?

I wish I could stand to do anything outside. Just too. damned. hot.
Rained for the fist time in ages last night - high of 88 today, which is a huge relief to me and my wallet. I'm hoping I can get back on my '79 RX-7 soon, but of course the wife is positively itching to remodel parts of the house right now, to the point she's actually cleaning and removing stuff, so that may interfere a bit...
I mean, I want to fix/change this house, too, but ugh, drywall, and finding somewhere to put all the stuff that comes out of the room(s).

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
They are strand beest. I bought them when he first released them and left them at our family beach house. They have mostly survived. I was hoping he released more, but it looks like there’s only one available now.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Figured out the steering. Boy do I feel stupid. Either I broke free what was gummed up/rusted solid, or I did not do a good enough job inspecting the drag link. The end that connects to the pitman arm was loose. I pulled the cotter pin and it was at least 2-3 threads before it snugged back up. Truck no longer wants to drive you off the road after every bump. After inspecting everything, it’s more than safe to drive- but I’ll want to replace all of it eventually. The pump is definitely weak, but it’s not squealing or foaming. Total on RA is just over $600 to do the tie rod ends, links, sleeve, and pump. Bringing my front end service to just shy of $2000. At least it will be good as new when I’m done.

At this rate I’ll have to keep this truck for a decade to pay itself back vs what I have into it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

the spyder posted:

At this rate I’ll have to keep this truck for a decade to pay itself back vs what I have into it.

I feel this on a cellular level.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Now I'm curious. What DO you have into it? You've put a staggering amount of work into that truck and as far as I can tell it's not a project you really want to be working on, just a "cheap" tow rig that has turned into the Whip of Theseus.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
It's definitely one of these projects that I look back on and question my choices. lol

I went back and added up everything I could remember/found in my email.

$4000 - truck "needing transmission and injector". Complete lie, 3 cracked pistons. Upside 98k miles.
$500 - fuel/tow for my buddy who picked it up a state away while I worked
$1500 - 4R100 rebuild
$800 - Billet converter
$2000 - Parts truck with a good 7.3, 2wd 4r100 turned in as a core
$300 - Rock auto order 1
$120 - Rock auto order 2
$265 - Rock auto order 3
$250 - Rock auto order 4
$300 - eBay Bilstein struts
$180 - Rock auto order 5
$780 - Rock auto order 6 (front end overhaul)
$150 - Doman diff cover and Amsoil Gear Oil Front/Rear/Transfer
$100 - paint/primer
$100 - used grill + paint
$130 - mirrors
$100 - headlights
$200 - OEM 6.0 trans cooler
$140 - Bosch OEM fuel pump
$200 - Coolant/Oil
$600 - USA seat covers
$300 - Replacement Foam, Arm rests
$300 - weather tech floor mats and mud flaps
$200 - tires
$0 -OEM wheels from a buddy
$250 - color matching tail gate
$0 PIAA lights from my buddy
$0 WARN lights from my brother
$89 - bluetooth head unit
$40 - eBay - diamonds audio crossover (1 dead)
$288 - title/ registration

Still needs ~$650 in steering rebuild and $300 windshield before I'll be happy with it for the winter.

So let's just call it $15k. That would make it fully road safe and should last ~200k with normal maintenance.
Outside of the tree damage (ugh) and past life with a logger... it's the best this truck can be at this point. I originally
thought that for $10k, I could have a "low mileage" truck with some amount of work. I just accidentally included the purchase price in that
original estimate. Ha.

Finding someone to give me $15k for it would be a stretch due to the rust and tree damage - not a huge one in this market, but still a stretch.
If Oregon doesn't ban this generation of Diesel (I'm looking at you Cali) - I should have a great tow rig for years to come.
Stay tuned for "Oops, sold it." Haha. I joke, but seriously - every time I've driven it, fixed little things, it's gotten better and better. It's very comfortable compared to our F150.
Eventually I'll fix the stereo and wire in the lights, but those are side projects that do not matter right now.

I guess this is along the same lines of CSB when he blew that 6.9 IDI - you make the best out of it, because the other option is a $1000/m minimum truck payment.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 21, 2022

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah, that's honestly not super bad for a truck with a lot of life left in it. I figured it was going to be a bigger number, too. Still a bit of sticker shock but... Full-size diesels are expensive and you've basically replaced anything and everything that was worn on it.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I mean 15k for a truck that's 100k miles and has its maintenance debts paid with some spares lying around from parts truck is a steal atm.

Everything I've seen in that price range recently is either about to break in half or a poorly lifted bro dozer that's showing its age.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Yeah and you say tree damage, what's a cab or bed swap at this point? :v:

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Well, I'm bored at home with Covid. So, have some pictures.

Truck update:
I've been putting miles on it in hopes of moving some firewood to our families beach house.

I had to make a trip down to check on my grandmothers well, it has a failed (failing) pressure tank and pump - which I've scheduled for replacement later this month. But I had to get her back up and running temporarily.

After retuning home, I heard popping/cracking from the rear drivers wheel. It was hot. Not dangerously hot, but I had to tear it down to see what was up. I was thinking a stuck slider.

TIL: Ford used phenolic pistons on these trucks. The lower slider was also rusted solid.

Thankfully the local parts store had these in stock. They were even Ford reman units.
It took a ton of heat, penetrant, and beating with a hammer to get that lower slider out. I ended up cleaning the bore out with some emery cloth wrapped around a 1/4" shaft.

I went ahead and changed both sides. Sure seemed like a unnecessarily large number of tools to change a pair of rear calipers.

I'm just going to keep ignoring this bed rust...

My friend stopped by and asked if I wanted a Banks 4" muffler (that matches the exhaust that's on there). I said sure. I don't mind the noise after driving it a while, but I'm not a fan of the whine it has crusing. I'll try to get this installed this week - if I can get through the rust.

With the truck driving decently, I decided to tackle the paint. This was a loggers truck after all and it's definitely seen it's fair share of brushy forestry service roads. I know I won't get it perfect - nor do I want it perfect - but I wanted to at least give it a shot. I started by wet sanding with 2000/2500 grit.

I only got the drivers side done, but it definitely looks better.

I also got tired of the chalky white front door cards. The windows of this truck must have stayed down 90% of it's life - just based on the dirt I washed out of the interior.
A quick hit with a heat gun brought back the tops and the rest of the panels just needed some Aerospace 303.

I ended up having to revisit the well - but the Tesla makes a much more affordable-to-charge service truck.

Shed update:
After finishing the first two bays, my dad stopped by and remarked that "Wouldn't it be nice if there was another bay for the mower". I thought about it and decided, why the hell not. Knowing his motive is wanting somewhere to store his 48 Desoto in our barn. But I do like the idea of having somewhere to store all the gas cans, pressure washer, ect. It wouldn't be hard to put a set of sliding doors on. So I set off.

The ground was so dry and hard I ended up pre-soaking each hole overnight.

Before I knew it, I added a 4th bay - because why not?

Lesson learned. Measure the mower first.... All I can do is laugh.

I'll figure something out, maybe take out the divider and park it sideways - but I really like the strength of the structure as-built. Something to do after I recover.

White FD update:
Gave it an oil change.

After the luck I had charging the trucks, I wanted to try the FD again.

Yea.... I've got deeper issues. I fully vac'd the system and left it for several hours. Upon re-charging, it took about 1.5 cans of R134A, but would never register more than 10-15psi. Until this happened. I shut the AC off and heard the pressure release on the pump go off, filling the shop with refrigerant. Judging by the oz's of green dye that pooled on the shop floor, someone's fought this before. At this point I want to pull the evaporator and replace the valve. I'll do the dryer at the same time.

Sunrise:

Sunsets:

The Miata started developing a hole in the top - I think the mechanism is broken or loose as it's rubbing only on this side. I'll take it apart when I have time.

We've been working our butts off getting roofs done before the weather changes. Sadly I caught covid from the guy helping me.

And finally, my friend stopped by and let me drive this Evo IV that just was imported. I really liked the handling, power, and even the seats fit decent. I might have to do some research into importing one.

That's all for now.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 3, 2022

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Punch out the back wall a bit on that bay and extend the roof. Won't be quite as noticeable as extending the front. You'll have to lap another corrugated roof panel under the first, but shouldn't be super onerous.
You may have to duck to exit the mower, but, eh.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Fixed the shed. Removed the dividing wall and I'll just have two sliding doors over the entrances. There's just enough room to back in and park like this without hitting the wall.

Since I was feeling better, I went ahead and polished the passenger side of the truck out. Turned out better than expected.

While I was buffing, I decided to hit the rear wheel arches with some rust converting paint. I wish I had a picture, but the brand new can exploded and gave me a full sleeve tattoo.
It also got all over the muffler tip/rear of the bed, wheel, exhaust pipe, struts. I checked my security footage and my back was to the camera. I've never had a new can of paint pop like that. Split right on the can seam.

The next day I went ahead and installed the muffler. Previous me must have seen this, because I ordered new clamps like 2 years ago.

Nothing a cut off wheel and a hammer could not fix.... Since it was a Banks muffler for this kit, it just bolted in.

It sounded much better. I get the whole straight pipe turbo-diesel noises, but I'm an old man at heart.
Downside I can now hear all the creeks and pops the suspension makes.
And it was clear the cross over did not fix the passenger door speaker. After messing around with it, I found the coil was rusted and the speaker shot. No wonder the crossover was cooked. Even my spare kicker set from a decade ago appears it's cooked too. I ended up tossing a random Infinity 2 way 5 1/4 speaker in that I found in a parts car. Sounds 10x better. I'll come back and correctly fix the stereo another time when I have the $$$.

With my son back in school, I started grinding and sanding on the trailer to get it ready for paint. We're going to need it soon for upcoming projects.

Bad news. The truck decided it needed more love and apparently has lost an injector. It runs well, idle isn't even that rough from what I'm used to. If anything it's just stuck with junk in it. I'm getting the heavy smell of diesel fuel out the tail pipe at idle and poofs of white/blue smoke large enough to fog a Prius when leaving a stop. Coolant/Oil level is unchanged. Glad it happened before I drove it 300 miles to the beach and back. Hopefully I can piece one together with the old injectors I saved from the dead engine. I'll buzz test it as soon as I feel up to it. Probably heat gun the cyl first and check the fuel filter/bowl. It never ends with these old trucks, does it? :p

the spyder fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Sep 7, 2022

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Lastly, I could not sleep last night so I visited a parking garage to take some photos with my new phone.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 8, 2022

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

the spyder posted:

Lastly, I could not sleep last night so I visited a parking garage to take some photos with my new phone.

Hey, these need NSFW tags at the absolute minimum.

Dear god man.

:perfect:

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

the spyder posted:

Reported for porn. So pretty I had to quote.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

the spyder posted:

Bad news. The truck decided it needed more love and apparently has lost an injector. It runs well, idle isn't even that rough from what I'm used to. If anything it's just stuck with junk in it. I'm getting the heavy smell of diesel fuel out the tail pipe at idle and poofs of white/blue smoke large enough to fog a Prius when leaving a stop. Coolant/Oil level is unchanged. Glad it happened before I drove it 300 miles to the beach and back. Hopefully I can piece one together with the old injectors I saved from the dead engine. I'll buzz test it as soon as I feel up to it. Probably heat gun the cyl first and check the fuel filter/bowl. It never ends with these old trucks, does it? :p
Are they in a spot where you can get a long screwdriver or something to them? Might be worth trying to give them all a little love tap, I usually use a long screwdriver then tap the handle of that with another screwdriver handle. Sometimes that will be enough to dislodge the gunk. See it a lot on cars that have sat.

:love:

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I decided to pull the intake last night, just to eliminate the turbo. I mean I rebuilt it on my bench with eBay parts. No shaft play, clean, spun better then when I assembled it. While I was in there I pulled the fuel filter (clean), inspected the wiring harnesses and reseated the valve cover pass-through plugs. By this time the engine cooled fully down so I checked the coolant and oil. Still unchanged. Tossed a scanner on it and no codes (like something this simple would have one, I know).

Sooooo I decided to try a redneck fix. ATF. The transmission guy I knew used to run his power stroke on 50/50 used ATF and diesel. I went with a more appropriate 1 quart to 1/4 tank of fuel. Drove it for 20 minutes to warm everything up and let it cycle. The longer I drove the more I could hear an injector struggling. It was out of phase with the normal power train noise. Lagging behind. I noticed a minor drop in power idling around the back roads and decided to park it and let it sit overnight. I’m happy to report it appears to have helped. No smoke this morning and it drove normally when dropping kiddo off. The idea behind the ATF for those wondering is that these injectors/engine have sat for at least 3 years I know of. I’m sure the fuel gelled during our unusually cold winters. While it’s ran ok around the property, I’m just now getting 30/50/100 mile trips on it and really warming it up. My best guess is that gunk broke free and caused the injector to stick open just enough for that noticeable smoke. I’ve read a number of posts where owners recommend filling the fuel bowl with atf and cranking to hard flush the gunk out. I wasn’t quite willing to try that.

Wish me luck I guess. I’ll still buzz test (injectors use high voltage AC to fire) and check the solinoids when I feel like pulling the valve covers. Until then I’m just going to keep putting miles on.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Not unlike "de-carboning" a rotary with ATF, eh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I’ve always been a fan of the gallon of water trick. But I’ve also seen it kill a badly carboned motor.
When you break off potato chip sized chunks, there’s no saving that.