Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Another back-breaking day of manual labor and 95% of our gently caress ups are fixed. I have the next week off and I'm planning on finishing the sheathing, building the garage doors, and correctly installing the man door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
My sense of scale for your shop was WAY off until I saw the white FD parked in there.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

TheFonz posted:

My sense of scale for your shop was WAY off until I saw the white FD parked in there.

Yeah, in my head I pictured it as much smaller, too. That is going to be an absolutely awesome working space, I am seriously jealous. I want an awesome place to work on cars and bikes too, instead of having to work on the street in front of my apartment.

It's probably a good time to start planning your awesome garage stereo :getin:

(Just pick up an old amplifier/receiver and a decent pair of speakers at a goodwill store, don't go completely overboard like some of those people.)

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 23, 2013

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

It's probably a good time to start planning your awesome garage stereo :getin:

(Just pick up an old amplifier/receiver and a decent pair of speakers at a goodwill store, don't go completely overboard like some of those people.)
My garage stereo is free junkyard speakers, a computer power supply, a Chinese amp from Amazon and a molex connector in a toolbox. It sounds absolutely miserable. I should make an effort post about it one day.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Those crappy DealExtreme amplifiers aren't worth a drat. Post your poo poo up in the miscellaneous chat thread. You need something oldvintage.

Wooden box, metal front, big old VU meters with lights in them, switches that go *clack*, completely nonsensical DIN connectors and poo poo on the rear. Aww yeah.

E: VVVV Oh yeah, definitely hook vintage gear up with a cheap set of disposable speakers first, and have a fire extinguisher on hand. Better safe than sorry. Some of that vintage gear was discarded for a reason, but most of it should be perfectly fine.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 24, 2013

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

KozmoNaut posted:

Those crappy DealExtreme amplifiers aren't worth a drat. Post your poo poo up in the miscellaneous chat thread. You need something oldvintage.

Wooden box, metal front, big old VU meters with lights in them, switches that go *clack*, completely nonsensical DIN connectors and poo poo on the rear. Aww yeah.

Also, be aware of old poo poo you find given away/thrown out having a nice little bit of feedback. Don't connect anything you REALLY REALLY care about to an unknnown mid-70s AM/FM amp. :hydrogen:

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
You can barely see it, but hiding in one of those pictures are two Pioneer speakers from the $42 Newegg sale last week and a $40 Craigslist Yamaha 1990's analog amp. Sounds pretty decent.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

the spyder posted:

You can barely see it, but hiding in one of those pictures are two Pioneer speakers from the $42 Newegg sale last week and a $40 Craigslist Yamaha 1990's analog amp. Sounds pretty decent.

See, that's a BIG garage. For a BIG garage, you need one of these:

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/NU4-6000.aspx

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

the spyder posted:

Are those the Andrew Jones-designed speakers? Those are supposedly amazing value for money, even when not on sale.

Sounds like you have the garage stereo thing well planned out already :) People are constantly upgrading to surround sound, so stereo amps are always available for not much money, perfect for us cheapskates.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Dec 24, 2013

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Yes they are. They sound great for the price.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Today we got the last full row of sheating on the north wall done and two rows done on the west wall. Tomorrow morning we will finish the last full row on the west wall. Also I bought a awesome cabinet for $24.

TheChimney
Jan 31, 2005
What is that second to last pick - some kind of roller magnet to pick up stray nails?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Correct- Harbor Freight had one for $7. I already got one nail in a tire so I decided to try it out. Works pretty well.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I ended up splitting wood instead of hanging sheathing yesterday.

I did clean up and cut the final blocking for the sheathing. Now I just need another set of hands to finish it up.

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

Screw practicality, best 1 mile commute ever.

the spyder posted:

Correct- Harbor Freight had one for $7. I already got one nail in a tire so I decided to try it out. Works pretty well.

When I was a kid, my parents remodeled their house. My dad gave me a hard drive magnet tied to six feet of string, and paid me a penny per nail to go "fishing" between the floor joists. I think your thing probably works a lot better than that did.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Funny you mention paying kids to do it. Months ago, when we installed the trusses, we made a mistake and had to re-adjust. Well, my friend decided to bring over his gf's kid and pay him and my son to pick up nails/screws. 10c each. I poo poo you not, his face went white after he counted out $25 worth of nails/screws those two found. It was awesome.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I wrapped up two of the walls today. It's getting dark inside now, haha.

Also, I built a 25gal small cyclone dust collector with a Onida Dust Deputy. And I bought a cheap jointer that needs a $24 bell crank on the infeed.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 1, 2014

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
How much did you pay for the Jet jointer there? I've got one I'm about to sell and wasn't sure how to price it.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I paid a little more then I should have knowing it was broken, but I got it for $300. After doing some research, I will end up ok on the deal, but I've seen the blue (pre 98) model sell for $200-300 in good shape. Tool dealers want $499 for a used one in good shape. The long bed white one like I got seems to sell pretty regularly for $400-500 depending on condition and extras. Mine came with extra knives and a mag set tool. The fellow that owned it bought it new and used it in a hobby environemnt. The white model sold new for ~$650. I missed a Powermatic with a aftermarket helical cutter head for $500, which was a steal.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 2, 2014

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I really don't want to go back to work tomorrow- but then again I did not want to get up and start working on the building at 10am after going to bed at 2:30 last night either :). My father and brother helped again today and we wrapped up the SW wall. This coming weekend I'm going to finish the last sheathing around the doors and install the big roll up doors. It's going to be nice to be able to lock the building up.

I wish I had taken a photo before the plastic- but this is the SW wall and it gets the worse exposure to the weather. Not knowing what our weather could turn in to, we decided to cover it up until we can finish the nailing and installing the house wrap.

The inside, despite my camera, is getting super dark now. I'm tempted to order another $60 string of temp lights.

My son loves the dust cyclone I made, he's happy to vacuum pretty much anything now, haha.

After the framing inspection is done, I'm going to the beach! I need a break/vacation that doesn't involve working on the shop/cars/projects.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jan 2, 2014

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
You have to love this stage of building where the time you put in nets huge changes in the feel of the space.

Your work has been motivating me to push more on finish up the last bits and pieces of my own garage.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I walked in tonight to shut down the power/lights and had one of those *oh poo poo, it's now a room* moments. The first was when the posts were up, the next when there was a roof, and another after the cement was poured. It's what keeps me going. Good luck on your projects!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

West SAAB Story posted:

Also, be aware of old poo poo you find given away/thrown out having a nice little bit of feedback. Don't connect anything you REALLY REALLY care about to an unknnown mid-70s AM/FM amp. :hydrogen:

My garage stereo is a mid 70s Sansui receiver that belonged to my stepdad (he bought it new) with some late 90s Infinity bookshelf speakers. He retired it after it fried a couple of speakers (always on the right channel, never on the left).

I've used it off and on for 10+ years, never had an issue with anything except the lights on it and a scratchy volume knob. :iiam: It's outlasted 3 or 4 replacement receivers so far, and the sound quality blows away my modern Onkyo.

It could use new caps, but goddamn they knew how to build poo poo to last back then.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

some texas redneck posted:

I've used it off and on for 10+ years, never had an issue with anything except the lights on it and a scratchy volume knob. :iiam: It's outlasted 3 or 4 replacement receivers so far, and the sound quality blows away my modern Onkyo.

The potentiometer probably just needs a good spritz of electrical contact cleaner and a massage. Dust and gunk builds up inside them and messes up the connection.

Deoxit is the recommended brand by crazy hifi enthusiasts, but the cheap poo poo works just fine as long as you get one that's residue-free.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

some texas redneck posted:

My garage stereo is a mid 70s Sansui receiver that belonged to my stepdad (he bought it new) with some late 90s Infinity bookshelf speakers. He retired it after it fried a couple of speakers (always on the right channel, never on the left).

It could use new caps, but goddamn they knew how to build poo poo to last back then.

Sansui made some good poo poo back then. I'm always looking for someone selling a 9090DB for cheap because they don't know what they have. I have some mint condition 70s Infinity speakers and a newer Audio Technica turntable to hook up to it, if I could just find one.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I use QC contact cleaner because deoxit is loving expensive.

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

Screw practicality, best 1 mile commute ever.
Deoxit is the only thing that was ever able to get the 300ZX ECU in my 280ZX to make good enough pin contact to actually run the motor. It's expensive, but that poo poo is magical :v:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

KozmoNaut posted:

Deoxit is the recommended brand by crazy hifi enthusiasts, but the cheap poo poo works just fine as long as you get one that's residue-free.

Where the hell do you even find any generic CC, anymore? I tried Ratshack, and a few local hobbiest places. They looked at me crosseyed when I said what I needed, and what it was for. I think my favorite response was "You mean that TV cleaner stuff for things with MANUAL TUNING KNOBS?" Yeah. That'd do.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

West SAAB Story posted:

Where the hell do you even find any generic CC, anymore? I tried Ratshack, and a few local hobbiest places. They looked at me crosseyed when I said what I needed, and what it was for. I think my favorite response was "You mean that TV cleaner stuff for things with MANUAL TUNING KNOBS?" Yeah. That'd do.

Local surplus electronics store that I frequent has it. I think it's pretty chemically similar (identical?) to the aerosol board cleaner/flux remover stuff too.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I have major garage envy. Right now I have an '85 GS with a freshish Jeff20b-built engine (REPU-spec intake ports!), carb, trans, clutch, drive shaft, '81 GSL rear end, radiator, oil cooler, and a full stock exhaust - with no place to work on putting it all together.

The guy I used to rent a 10x20 to keep my motorcycles in doesn't have any units available now, either. Massive bummer!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

West SAAB Story posted:

I get it at Home Depot, although I'm not sure if it's audiophile quality.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

West SAAB Story posted:

My dad buys it wholesale in yellow spray cans that just say "CONTACT CLEANER" in block letters. I have no idea where it comes from, but that poo poo works wonders.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

clutchpuck posted:

I have major garage envy. Right now I have an '85 GS with a freshish Jeff20b-built engine (REPU-spec intake ports!), carb, trans, clutch, drive shaft, '81 GSL rear end, radiator, oil cooler, and a full stock exhaust - with no place to work on putting it all together.

The guy I used to rent a 10x20 to keep my motorcycles in doesn't have any units available now, either. Massive bummer!

Jeff's a good guy. Probably the best pre-second gen expert in the area outside of Rob@ Pineapple.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yeah Jeff knows goddamn everything and takes time to help me understand. He's going to set it up with DLIDFIS for me once its on the road and I can drive it to him.

Also, I guess I spoke too soon about not having a garage. My next door neighbor seemed pretty open to talking about it so we are going to do that when it's light enough to scope the space out.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

KozmoNaut posted:

The potentiometer probably just needs a good spritz of electrical contact cleaner and a massage. Dust and gunk builds up inside them and messes up the connection.

Cleaned it once before with the generic stuff, but that was 20 years ago. :corsair: I was planning on the same thing again.

bandman posted:

Sansui made some good poo poo back then. I'm always looking for someone selling a 9090DB for cheap because they don't know what they have.

This is an 881 - a bit older than the x0x0 line, but just as good (if not better).

e: not my picture, but:

A few lights are dead on mine, and the wood has seen better days. But it works!

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jan 3, 2014

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I have been sick the past few days with a head cold, but with help a ton got done. It finally feels like a building. We finished sheating the south wall and framed the garage doors in. Once that was done, we started building the garage doors.

In car news, I bought this for scrap price.

The motor's toast and it's an auto, so I'm planning on buying a friend's 91 vert that got totaled and switching the 5spd/engine/brakes/ect over. Once that's done, I can part the rest of the vert out.

Oh and I bought this death machine. If I loose a finger/arm/hand, I can only blame myself. It was just too hard to pass up. Plus now I can dado things much faster then on the table saw. Pre 1950'.

Edit* It tried to kill me already.

Looks like it came with a bent blade...

the spyder fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jan 6, 2014

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

What I'm getting out of this thread is that I definitely still want a large garage/shop but that paying someone else to build it is totally loving worth it. Also can't wait till the lift gets installed.

leica posted:

I get it at Home Depot, although I'm not sure if it's audiophile quality.
Write $500 on the can and suddenly it will become audiophile quality.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Doors and an FC, best update yet!

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I'm going to jynx myself so hard- but I put a bid in on two Rotary 2 post 9000 pound lifts from a shop that shut down. I hopefully find out tomorrow...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I can't wait to get these doors functional.