Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

the spyder posted:

I shamelessly stole this idea from Parid. A friend donated the old rack and the bins are Stanley off Amazon.

Hmm not bad, I might have to grab a rack that's getting scrapped. Do the storage bins use the full depth of the rack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I can't even remember where you are but I'm wondering what you would sell it for...

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

the spyder posted:

Well, despite feeling like crap most the weekend I got a few small things done in the shop. With some help, we moved one of the storage shelves and I started planning out stairs for the loft. I don't have a lot of room and honestly I'm not sure how these are going to turn out.

For stairs that steep go with alternating style, normal steps will be a pain in the rear end to use at that angle. Something like this:

They take a while to get used to but once you do they are really nice, I'd recommend a hand rail.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

the spyder posted:

We have a set at our family beach house and yes, once you get used to them it's fine (I swear I haven't broken my arm falling off them as a kid... haha), but moving anything up/down really sucks. I'm planning on putting in a cheap HF winch/platform on a doubled up truss to move the black/yellow lid storage bins I seem to have dozens of.

Oh yeah carrying anything up/down those steps is an absolute pain in the rear end and will end up with something hitting the ground. For moving things between floors a winch, chain hoist or something similar with a platform would be the way to go.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Cat Terrist posted:

Buuuuut for me I'd do this. 400Kw in a series III Gen 1, six speed from a RX8, Group C flare kit, wide track the front with rack / pinion inserted, graft in a FD rear subframe. Look into Group B AWD solution. Paint it ink black. It would look and sound utterly evil, be able to handle the power, be able to defy Einstein's famous equation and have every RADL worship the ground you stand on.

I agree with this crazy fucker. Alternatively toss it in super light tube frame and struggle to ever find grip.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Cars in general, I think. That comment makes me miss my bike...

Does anyone else with multiple cars tell 'car guys' you have a boring shitbox to avoid talking cars? I adore having a car that lets me avoid 'car guys'

"What do you drive?"
"Ford Focus"
"The ST?"
"No."

As far as most people in the area know I only drive a very boring and slow VW TDI. Sadly now all the 'car guys' want to know if it's one of the cheaty ones or what my feelings on the issue are :fuckoff:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

mekilljoydammit posted:

(I have scaled 13Bs at 250, supposedly the Renesis is 275 dressed and the F20C is 325 in similar condition)
poo poo for some reason I thought those things were a lot lighter than that :confused: Oh well that makes it easy to rule them out for a stupid project I was thinking of.

I fully expect to see LSx RX8's to start popping up at track days pretty soon. Pretty good chassis from what I've heard then throw in a cheap, reliable engine and have some fun.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

the spyder posted:

I'm not sure how I would cut the square thread though. We do want to make a spare. I should have Commodore64 measure/document them.

As always AvE has the answer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n1r5XfVkyk

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

the spyder posted:

Soooooo I bled the cooling system, rechecked the torque on the head bolts, and gave everything a solid once over.
I let it idle for ~45 minutes and then put 30 miles on it. It has yet to overheat or show any signs of it. It's obvious there's no guts in the thermostat, so we'll see how it behaves after the new one gets here tomorrow.

That's pretty typical, they can be a bitch to bleed if you're incompetent and/or impatient. Replace parts, bleed it a few times and make sure the aux fan is kicking in when it should and you should be ok. New thermostat will certainly help. That's one hell of a car for $800

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

the spyder posted:

I'm trying to decide wether or not to replace the radiator/expansion tank. They were last replaced in 09.

That's tempting fate, I've heard 5 years for a DD being pretty common.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I've seen some hack jobs but drat that's impressive levels of ignorance.

the spyder posted:

By the time we sell the unneeded bits and part out the shell, we might break even. The entire point of this is to take the existing drive train from his FC, swap it into the black b2200 and then put the turbo drivetrain in the FC, in the process turning it into a track car. This should only take 6 months, 2 years tops. Wish us luck.
This is going to be a fun truck

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

the spyder posted:

Now for my favorite bit- let's talk about bad decisions involving Croooober. Or why I'm stopping drinking and shopping online. I've been randomly searching Croooober for anything interesting and inexpensive. The results have been great. I've bought/resold quite a bit. It's not profitable, mainly due to me wanting to keep some of parts... Otherwise, I would be $1500 in the green right now. I do recommend giving it a try if you're looking for JDM parts. I've saved roughly 40-60% of stuff I would never find here. The shipping really, really can kill it though- I've spent nearly $3k on just shipping.

Never heard of this before, not sure if I should thank you or be angry. Will be very helpful and bad for my wallet I can tell already.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

dreesemonkey posted:

My experience with things I've sold on craigslist lately have been:

1. Post ad
2. Nothing happens for <days to weeks>
3. I'm traveling or away
3a. Everyone has to have it all at once while I'm away.

This has been the last few cars for me. Last one was almost a full year with it posted monthly, I'd get a call or vague text but no one ever looked at it. Then suddenly everyone wanted it, multiple people test drove and it ended in a bidding war.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Those seats :fap:

N'thing I'd watch your youtube channel. Even something basic like a gopro with a magnetic base doing time lapse would be neat to see.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

the spyder posted:

Waytek you bastard. I've now got 90% of the stuff to make a harness or 10.

I've been wanting to build a AEM IGN-1A Coil pack harness because I'm too cheap to pay $250 for a pre-made on.
Definitely was a learning experience, but it should work.

Any words of wisdom you can pass along?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Really weird, I was wondering if you ever found an engine for the 911 the other day when I was working in the garage.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Oh that's going to be a fun swap. Wouldn't expect anything else from the rotary man.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Never add up the receipts, it only leads to sadness. I was nearly that much into the M3 project before selling it. I'm nearly 2/3 of that on Formula Ford and haven't turned a wheel.

Projects keep me sane but at the same time drive me crazy and cause me stress at times. It's a hard balance.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Really looking forward to you cleaning up that yellow rx7. Stay safe and try to take it easy so your body can recharge a bit.

I'm guessing the porsche is way back burner for now?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

the spyder posted:

I'm at a weird point, where I'm not sure what project will get my focus next. I've been rather shaken up by recent events and haven't got my priorities back in line.
Honestly what I probably should do is finish up some of these half finished projects.
Here's what I've got sitting around.
So yes, if you have read this thread, you know I'm crazy busy - but right now I'm still in disaster recovery mode. At some point all these cars, parts, tools I shipped away with a half dozen friends, need to return back to the shop. I should probably just take a week off ASAP to catchup.
I've got about a quarter of the projects so I know the feeling but drat that's a lot of stuff. You should probably take a week off and spend half of it just planning and taking some down time once this period of chaos/stress/disaster is over. Gotta take care of yourself. Just glad it looks like you're out of harms way with the fires.

kastein posted:

If that Porsche is old enough (I'd be shocked if it isn't, though I haven't checked the cutoff year) you could simply register it in Vermont via mail and drive it that way for a year before using that paperwork to register it in your state. They'll even mail your plates and reg to you.
I did this for a couple old motorcycles, it's not my preferred way to do it but it does work. One of the bigger two stroke bike forums has a good write-up.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

What engine does your tow vehicle have? We watched a team toss the engine from their tow vehicle into their race car, race all day then swap it back and drive home after they blew their engine. Was pretty drat impressive and brave.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

A local shop here has done some prototyping using blocks of delrin or abs in place of whatever metal they would be using. Can machine it largely the same way, is fairly inexpensive and is fast. They also have a 3d printer but I think they mostly use that for smaller pieces.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Wow I knew your area got hit but that's a lot of damage. You're a mad man lugging that generator all over while cleaning up and everything else, get some sleep and take care of yourself.

Porsche damage just means you can go all in on track rat and not worry about making it pretty right?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

the spyder posted:

Got this super cool WERA tool from the wife. The egg was just awesome.

Got that screwdriver a couple years ago, it eventually made its way to my general purpose grab-n-go toolkit and dang it's good.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

:getin: YES

For $1k I'd be going with the 'new' block and holding onto the old as spares for future projects. It is good to hear Mazda is good with support for older stuff.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Ratty ac 911 is the best 911, that's pretty clever using the lift to get the big initial dent out.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Organization looks like it's going well. It's such a slog to do when you've got projects you want to work on but it's worth it. Even with minimal work in the garage this summer mine is a disaster and I need to do a fall clean up and reorganize as well as selling off a bunch of stuff from past cars and projects.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

the spyder posted:

Something cool: we're planning on lighting the 3rd brake light via fuel level sensor to let the fuel guy know when to stop.
That's pretty clever, know you can go around two hours but have a light just in case.

I've been impressed by all the Radium stuff I've played with and hydromat is really impressive at getting every last drop out of a tank.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm reading that as the other way around, it lights the third brake light when the tank is full so you know to stop pouring.

Oh yeah that makes more sense. Splash and overfilling was always an issue, the faster you're filling the bigger the issue becomes. It's even worse when you top off during an unscheduled pit stop to check or fix something else. We always just had a really big spill pan, not ideal but it worked.

With how fast you're filling being able to see the fill neck would be your best bet but a light or gauge of some kind showing relative fuel level would help.

Making me miss enduros

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

That seems like a bargain with current crazy pricing on everything. Sure it has some miles but it looks like it's in good shape.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

The 912 and 2002 would make such great drivers, just a little cleanup and drive as is. It's amazing the cars you can find sitting collecting dust when you start talking to people. Spyder if you decide you don't want either of those please let me know, those are both on my short list.

Our plans changed pretty drastically over the past few years thanks to all my health poo poo. Oct 2019 I was prepping a formula ford to start vintage racing, now I have about four hours of garage time a week until I have no energy. Selling off projects and cars I'm not driving enough to experience a few cars I've always wanted that are still in the reasonable price range. Never know when things will do a full 180.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jan 25, 2022

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

the spyder posted:

Well guys, work has me stressed out. Just too many projects, not enough engineers, stuck at home behind a desk. Somethings going to need to change and I'm hoping it's more staffing, soon.

Take care of yourself, they will survive if you take a day off. No good to anyone, work or family, burnt out. I've had to remind myself of this a lot recently. :glomp:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

the spyder posted:

I won't go over every photo or detail. After I buffed it, I had her stop by to make a parts list and nearly broke her heart. It was just the kick in the pants she needed. She called me a few days later and explained how angry she was that she let it sit for so long when she could have been working on it.

:3: Amazing what a few hours with a buffing pad can do. Look forward to more on this one, glad a clean-up was the kick she needed.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

the spyder posted:

I never got to drive my 78 SC as an air-cooled car, but at least I'll get to drive this 76 with two less cylinders :). If the L-Jetronic doesn't put up a fight....

Love the color, fits the car so well. Glad you were able to work out an agreement on price and bring it home as another project.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Big dumb Mercedes on coils :getin:

Looks like you're keeping buys

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

the spyder posted:

Bad news. The truck decided it needed more love and apparently has lost an injector. It runs well, idle isn't even that rough from what I'm used to. If anything it's just stuck with junk in it. I'm getting the heavy smell of diesel fuel out the tail pipe at idle and poofs of white/blue smoke large enough to fog a Prius when leaving a stop. Coolant/Oil level is unchanged. Glad it happened before I drove it 300 miles to the beach and back. Hopefully I can piece one together with the old injectors I saved from the dead engine. I'll buzz test it as soon as I feel up to it. Probably heat gun the cyl first and check the fuel filter/bowl. It never ends with these old trucks, does it? :p
Are they in a spot where you can get a long screwdriver or something to them? Might be worth trying to give them all a little love tap, I usually use a long screwdriver then tap the handle of that with another screwdriver handle. Sometimes that will be enough to dislodge the gunk. See it a lot on cars that have sat.

:love:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Oof, still looks better than it did and you got some much needed repairs done as well. Thanks for the reminder I'm almost out of DeoxIT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Even if I disconnected from technology completely I don't think I would accomplish 1/5 what you did, that's amazing. 912 looks great, 3-rotor 911 and a bunch of other stuff is truly impressive.

edit: Is that a courier or equivalent?

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 19, 2023