Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Why isn't this thread called "Spyder's Rotary Club"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

the spyder posted:

Haha, no. It's a well tower. 500gal cedar barrel at the top, 1hp engine at the ground floor, 30ft well. Provided pressurized water via gravity to the property back in 1891.

Neat!

Is it still in use?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Rhyno posted:

So uh...three chainsaws huh?

I bet there's not much of a homeless problem in your neck of the woods.

Chainsaws are crap for cutting up people, all the hair and poo poo gets stuck and gums up the chain.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

TheFonz posted:

My sense of scale for your shop was WAY off until I saw the white FD parked in there.

Yeah, in my head I pictured it as much smaller, too. That is going to be an absolutely awesome working space, I am seriously jealous. I want an awesome place to work on cars and bikes too, instead of having to work on the street in front of my apartment.

It's probably a good time to start planning your awesome garage stereo :getin:

(Just pick up an old amplifier/receiver and a decent pair of speakers at a goodwill store, don't go completely overboard like some of those people.)

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 23, 2013

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Those crappy DealExtreme amplifiers aren't worth a drat. Post your poo poo up in the miscellaneous chat thread. You need something oldvintage.

Wooden box, metal front, big old VU meters with lights in them, switches that go *clack*, completely nonsensical DIN connectors and poo poo on the rear. Aww yeah.

E: VVVV Oh yeah, definitely hook vintage gear up with a cheap set of disposable speakers first, and have a fire extinguisher on hand. Better safe than sorry. Some of that vintage gear was discarded for a reason, but most of it should be perfectly fine.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 24, 2013

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

the spyder posted:

You can barely see it, but hiding in one of those pictures are two Pioneer speakers from the $42 Newegg sale last week and a $40 Craigslist Yamaha 1990's analog amp. Sounds pretty decent.

Are those the Andrew Jones-designed speakers? Those are supposedly amazing value for money, even when not on sale.

Sounds like you have the garage stereo thing well planned out already :) People are constantly upgrading to surround sound, so stereo amps are always available for not much money, perfect for us cheapskates.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Dec 24, 2013

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

some texas redneck posted:

I've used it off and on for 10+ years, never had an issue with anything except the lights on it and a scratchy volume knob. :iiam: It's outlasted 3 or 4 replacement receivers so far, and the sound quality blows away my modern Onkyo.

The potentiometer probably just needs a good spritz of electrical contact cleaner and a massage. Dust and gunk builds up inside them and messes up the connection.

Deoxit is the recommended brand by crazy hifi enthusiasts, but the cheap poo poo works just fine as long as you get one that's residue-free.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

West SAAB Story posted:

Where the hell do you even find any generic CC, anymore? I tried Ratshack, and a few local hobbiest places. They looked at me crosseyed when I said what I needed, and what it was for. I think my favorite response was "You mean that TV cleaner stuff for things with MANUAL TUNING KNOBS?" Yeah. That'd do.

My dad buys it wholesale in yellow spray cans that just say "CONTACT CLEANER" in block letters. I have no idea where it comes from, but that poo poo works wonders.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

bolind posted:

I'm curious about the mounting. I've often wondered how/why two-post lifts actually stayed in place. The torque where it meets the floor must be quite high.

(So, so jealous...)

Since you're lifting right around the middle of the car, the torque where it meets the floor isn't really that high, due to the balance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

And they're usually not a whole lot wider than the car they're lifting, so most of the force goes downwards.