Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
You're back! I was thinking about your old thread just the other day. Whose REPU is that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That is some next-generation PO fuckery. Are you just going to buy a whole new factory harness?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I can't believe how gross that engine is. I wonder how long it ran on oil-fuel-water premix. :v:

The question is if the massive overheating happened before, after or during the electrical fire. I don't envy you the work but I have a feeling I'll desire the end result.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
A heated floor is ridiculously swanky. Most shops that I've been to here in the frozen deathlands just get by with forced air.

For plastic epoxy I've used this stuff before: http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/AutoRepairAccessories/Adhesives/PRDOVR~0383718P/PermaPoxy+5+Minute+Plastic+Weld.jsp?locale=en It's Permatex so it should be pretty available.

Is your mill... a bridgeport? :v:

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Aug 19, 2013

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

parid posted:

I wonder what happens to all these mistakes. I don't see them in junk yards. They must just end up in the yards of parts hoarders.

I'm pretty sure a lot of the 'victims' commit insurance fraud - you're looking in the wrong junkyards.

Either that or it just ends up in a legitimate shop's metal scrap pile when the victim tries to get it fixed.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 20, 2013

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Man, it's really come together quickly. I guess it helps to have a garage full of this stuff and, you know, run a shop that focuses on it.

Why do you have so many FDs and so few FB/FCs? It is usually the opposite up here - LHD FDs are almost impossible to find.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Your son is off to a good start pulling up to school in a car that awesome. Good parenting!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Radiator stopleak is the devil.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Mat_Drinks posted:

This explains my cracked driveway :( (note: I didn't pour it, and it's so old it might be before they invented rebar :) )

Usually driveway cracks are from the surface underneath shifting due to running water or whatever under the slab. That's why my driveway cracks at least. Dunno if I've ever seen a driveway slab with rebar.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Dec 11, 2013

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

It's probably a good time to start planning your awesome garage stereo :getin:

(Just pick up an old amplifier/receiver and a decent pair of speakers at a goodwill store, don't go completely overboard like some of those people.)
My garage stereo is free junkyard speakers, a computer power supply, a Chinese amp from Amazon and a molex connector in a toolbox. It sounds absolutely miserable. I should make an effort post about it one day.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
The best part of that convertible for me is not the massively bodged front end or the amateur widebody kit made out of bondo but the UV-yellowed ignition switch. That car has been that rough for a long time.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Man, nice tank. I'm jealous of your ability to get cheap shop gear, and more jealous of having places to put it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Eventually AI will liberate themselves from all material attachments except for the bare exoskeleton of a semi-lethal hot rod.

We will, all of us, be trapped at a gas station for hours while we answer the half-terrified questions of normals, who pay their bills, go to church, love their children and feature no spark of the horrible yearning tearing at our core.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

kastein posted:

I like to use brakleen or bbq lighter fluid as wasp killer, it doesn't leave nasty nerve-poison residue. Takes some paints off, though, so be careful.

Even soapy water will kill the fuckers.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Everything in that set of photos is amazing.

How much more stuff did you find on the 94 that wasn't on this old list? I would burn that shop down, but from the way this list sounds they were well on their way to doing it themselves.

the spyder posted:

I've been working on getting the black car out of the shop in the evenings this week.
Here's the list of issues it came in with after being worked on by a outta state shop closer to the owner:
1) Unmounted Fuel Pressure Regulator. (idiots)
2) Oil leak. (two stripped bolts)
3) Wants wiring mess cleaned up. (undid everything I did when installed aftermarket fuel system)
4) Wastegate "only" opens at 16.5psi. (idiots)
5) Intercooler hose pops off. (My fault)
6) Wants aftermarket engine mounts installed.

Here's the list of issues I found:
1) Tbolt clamps turned facing up, dented hood.
2) Stock coils/wires with 7's and 9's on a 450hp car (wrong plugs).
3) Boost controller installed wrong.
4) Boost controller reference line T'd in to map sensor...
5) Fuel supply line finger tight.
6) Factory fuel pressure regulator vacuum control solenoid tied in to new aftermarket FPR.
7) HKS twin power mounted with velro under the hood.
8) Coil packs not bolted down.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Jesus, you have chickens too? This is like a version of Slung Blade's thread where poo poo doesn't freeze solid eight times a year. Shop construction, car building, if you had an alternative-propulsion tractor we'd have the whole set.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

BraveUlysses posted:

I've been wanting to do this exact thing for years.

oh look what's that? http://www.ls1rx8.com/

Why did I read this thread?

I hate you all.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
That cemplank is loving sweet as all hell. How have I never heard of this before?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Wait, is that a watchtower?

Just like a 13B, he can't be idle.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Good job, that's one good looking legal garage.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

FullMetalJacket posted:

wanna export it to Canada? :)

I have wanted to build an FC RX7 coupe lifted on convertible springs for rallycross...

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Poor little NB :( Your brother is so mean to Miatas. Good thing he's OK.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Slow is Fast posted:

99 was a weird year.

Notice the twin air boxes. They transitioned from MAF to MAP and were like what should we do with the intake gently caress IT USE BOTH

Two air filters too. Because who the gently caress knows.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Be careful with that oil drain tool. I've seen newbies in the shop blow oil all over the shop with one before.

Those robots look cool as hell. Kids today are so lucky.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 18, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Is that the Scrubbing Bubbles spray on shower cleaner? I use that poo poo on the shower but I never in a million years thought it would clean exhausts.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
An NB with a hardtop kinda looks like a retarded baby Viper.

So you must do this.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Peripheral port NA. Do it, do it now.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Man, a can of Rebuilders Cast makes anything look incredible.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Nice job with the blasting, not so nice with the stabbing :(

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Freshly painted parts are one of the small joys of life.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Ugh that greasy FD is super gross :(

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Aw, poor car. Whoever butchered that thing has a place in hell waiting for them.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I'm jealous of that bolt bin.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

jamal posted:

Saw this, thought of your thread

Finally my rust problems are over!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Holy poo poo, dude. :(

Welp, nothing left to do but tear the bitch apart and start fixing it.

In my province, flood cars are branded as "unrepairable," but it sounds like at least this one is just "salvage," unless the junk title persists.

Here's some guy trying to get a VA "for parts" title reversed out of state:
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1334588/

Ugh Katrina flood car

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jan 16, 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

the spyder posted:

Small update: There's a good chance this is NOT a Katrina car. It was last registered in Key West and damage was not reported for 5 months after Katrina. I'm trying to find flood records for the area, but I've got a theory. The car's underbody and exhaust is covered with what looks like normal beach sand. I would bet money someone parked this on a beach and forgot about the tide. Haha. Guess I'll never know the real story.

Well this is good news at least!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
gently caress. I'm glad your wife is alright. Too bad about the dent.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
On your way back from Hiroshima, stop in Shin-Osaka station and try out the tonkatsu place in the little enclosed restaurant near the back.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

BloodBag posted:

find a dead-rear end d16 civic and bring that bitch back to life as a commuter box for my now-quadrupled distance commute (one way)

Do it, let's start a D-series Civic thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

kastein posted:

That's always the best part of focusing on one vehicle family. A new, unexpected purchase shows up, or a friend buys one, and you're like "huh, I happen to have all the parts you need, from abandoned build plans, leftovers from repairs, and partouts I did over the last decade" and everyone thinks you're a loving magician.

Tonight on Hoarders: a loving magician