Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Those are strange looking frost plugs.

Is the water filthy, like it got past the air filter while the car sat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I was feeling proud I managed to change the wiper stalk in the Civic and go to work on my third day of being sick. gently caress this cold.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
It's too bad the Rays are staggered because when a friend made the same mistake with 5x100 Subaru BBS wheels we just put the silver wheels on one side of the car and the gold wheels on the other side of the car.

Since it's physically impossible to see both sides at the same time, nobody ever noticed.

I say paint 'em, powdercoating seems pretty iffy with forged wheels.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Can you guys make oil caps for piston engines in the shape of a wallet full of money?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

leica posted:

Would you be willing to part with an ornament? My son is a gear head and he would love one of those.

If not spyder I am certain that McTinkerson can get you a ruined rotor to give to your son.

Dunno what the shipping is like but it'd be in CAD$ which should help at least.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
A Mazda with a hard to change oil filter? Why I never.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
A rotary-swapped Mazda B-truck is probably way harder than I think it is, but I want to believe.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

mekilljoydammit posted:

Cut up rotors are great tools at times actually; I have a corner I clamp in the mill and run a grinding stone in the corner seal pocket for clearancing side seals, and another one where I drilled into the side seal slot, put a scribe in and ran around on a junk side housing to see where the limits are.

I tried to use one once as a ghetto cupholder to hold a shock still while I tried to put the strut top on it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Hahahah holy poo poo a turbo rotary go-kart.

How did the builder survive long enough to sell it?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

kastein posted:

Based on the condition I'm pretty sure the "had it running" part was done in the donor car the engine came from, or was straight up bullshit. I bet they never had the kart itself actually running and driving.
Evidence:
  • Seller is alive

I wouldn't mind a few closeups of the suspension setup before you turn it back into exhaust tubing though.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I miss the tonkatsu :(

Those screw-down battery terminals are totally shithouse, you should crimp that cable into a lug that accepts a bolt-on all-brass marine battery terminal, or crimp into a marine terminal in the first place.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Skeletard posted:

Door trim jankiness. Both sides are like this with the rubberized coating having peeled away from the now-corroded metal:

My Civic is the same way, except new door trims cost $136 a side so I think I'm just going to peel the rest of it off with a plastic razor, tape off the weather stripping/window glider, and then hit it with bedliner or something.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Giving the dash regular treatments of 303 aerospace protectant will probably keep the UV damage to a minimum. It's worked wonders on a lot of Mazda plastics in my possession.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Painting calipers is rice, but it's also good rice.

Did you just sand the lettering off?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Won't the letters rust now that they're back to being bare metal?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Please take the time you need. Good luck.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Wrar posted:

I hope you have a smoke tester, because if it ever leaks vacuum that's the only drat way you'll figure it out.

Just assume that every hose is leaking: buy a reel of vacuum hose and replace each one, one-by-one, counting each hose in screamed German with the occasional Luger shot into the ceiling for emphasis.

Ein!
Zwei!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

the spyder posted:

Oh hey, check out this cool glove mounted fuse box. I wonder what's in it?

:shepicide:

e46 curse present.

Wow I picked the wrong car to pull a fusebox from. That would have actually been worth the $50.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
It's an E46, I wouldn't trust anything that even remotely resembles a cooling system component after seven years.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Up Garage haunts my dreams and waking hours.

Once, I was walking through the hallways of my palatial Victorian mansion when I heard a creaking. I turned, and stared directly into the eyes of a Laile spare tire well bracing kit.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Your dad has a Scout?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
That catch can is blowing my mind. I keep going back to the picture to make sure that yep that's what I just saw.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

jamal posted:

Well on a piston engine pulling vacuum on the crankcase will improve ring sealing and reduce windage losses.

I'm off to the junkyard to scavenge BMW vacuum pumps. Way cheaper than fixing a head gasket.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 20, 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
You have excellent taste.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I love that AI is basically just going off the loving deep end lately. I feel inadequate.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Get that Z!

Where did Rob get the K04s from?

I'm glad to hear that it's not just me who always has a horrible day of accidents and mishaps every time the flatbed trailer comes out.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I love this a lot. You guys do banger rallies right.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

slothrop posted:

Nice one. I find the Japanese stuff is pretty overpriced here in Aus. The Yamazaki 12 was a great buy a few years ago at ~$90 but now it's more like $250. Anyways I prefer my peat monsters

It's wild how the price of Hibiki 17 has taken off.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Child labour is the poo poo. Glad you got that auto FD off your back too.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Man that's a lot of people waiting for you to fix their rotaries.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Whenever you have two bags of rivnuts, you got a party.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

the spyder posted:

Can't blame him this time. I bought this wreck a year ago and am just now getting to it. A friend needed the drivers quarter panel- one of only four straight panels on the car. Once I started hacking... bad ideas were formed. I'll update the post :).

Exocet. Exocet. Exocet.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Repowering a dead Celica is a good and noble act.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Kaptainballistik posted:

When CI goes to Canada I think he needs to buy a RX7 off you to use for a year...

Then ship to Australia!

There are plenty of hoggy JDM FDs on the Island.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
This is a good number of rotors.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

In a very real way, the enormous loving AC electric motor is the ultimate rotary.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I had a bunch of clever poo poo for the other two but then I scrolled down to the Subaru and now all I can say is gently caress a Gates timing belt tensioner.

My shattered EJ253 became a JDM-junkyard-quality EJ203.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
That's a great story. You're good people.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Supposedly, if you swap the springs from an FC vert into an FC tintop, you end up with a half-inch lift. Offroad FC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Finally, a Braporsche! What are you going to do with all the room you've saved in the engine bay?