Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I want to get a helium bottle and mixing valve now, haha. I think I watched his entire channel a month or so back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I tried a few things, but nothing worked and without his videos I never could have got this far. Figured it was a good way to show support. :)

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Tonight Oregon reminded me summer is coming to an end... with a nice shower. I worked through it, but did not get any where close to where I had hoped to be.

Speaking of Tig fingers- they showed up along with my new procon pump, pressure valve, and ss roasting pan.

They have something folded inside that makes them semi rigid and shape-able.

Finished the radiator piping and plumbing.

Great example of what a Tig finger helps with- the cast end tanks were pre-heated to 250f. There's no way I could have rested my hand on that.

BOV installed.

Got the fuse box cleaned up, non AC belt installed on the powersteering, Greddy pulleys installed, and everything closer.

The owner would like to get it Saturday, but I have no idea if that's possible. I still have to do the following.

1) Install fuel lines
2) Install coil packs
3) Install oil filler neck
4) Setup PCV and OMP vac lines
5) Bolt turbo completely to block
6) Plumb wastegate
7) Plumb BOV
8) Fit and trim existing midpipe and weld vband on
9) Install battery box, run 2G wire.
10) Install Turbo oil lines
11) Make and install block off plates
12) Cap all unnecessary vac lines
13) Fix stripped nutset
14) Bolt everything up.
15) Make powersteering cooler loop
16) Fill with fluids and pray, hahaha.

If I have time, I also want to modify his undertray to still fit. But it does not look good for a Saturday pickup.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Well. gently caress. My weekend, while awesome- loving sucked.

Here are the radiator brackets.

Custom vband downpipe. I had to MIG weld it. Not ideal, but it worked.

Relocated the battery.

Bleeding the cooling system was pretty easy.

Turbo blanket to protect everything.

General pics.

I ordered some Mazda protege wheel center caps and stuck them in my 17" Piaa's- looks close enough to factory 99 wheels for now, haha.

We pulled the black car apart Saturday morning while waiting for a 3rd friend to help us roof the shop.

Here was our ~5 hours of progress Saturday afternoon.

Sadly, it then proceeded to pour Sunday, thanks Oregon! This soaked the exposed insulation and prevented us from doing anything shop related until it drys out this week.

So I decided to work on my Tig cooler. Bad idea. I was slightly hung over.
The resivor, pump, and gauges showed up.

The "new" pump off ebay ended up being used, drat it.

I forged ahead making a lid with motor mounts. I love having a nut riveter.

And this is the temp mockup.

Everything went to hell about here... SOB. The "new" pump apparently had a bad internal pressure regulator. This hosed my radiator, gauge, and pissed me off. I've never blown up a heater core quite like this before...

I ripped off the new pump, found a transmission cooler and put the old setup back together. SOB.

For now it works, I've returned the gauge and contacted the pump seller.

After that fuckery, my brother decided to do his brakes on the Miata of Doooom.

I primered the frame rail on the white FD.

Installed the 99 copy wheels.

Started to install the oil coolers,

Installed my Racing Beat Dual-Tip catback

And installed a head unit.

Hopefully the weather will hold out and I can get a roof on this drat building next weekend.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
My painter just called, everything is ready. Why do I feel like a giddy school girl? If nothing goes wrong Friday, I will be tossing a new 5th gear syncro in the White FD's transmission and swapping my drivetrain in. :D

the spyder fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 26, 2013

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I'm an idiot. Found out the Procon pump I had was set at 250psi, not 60. I trusted the fellow on eBay that this was a Tig pump and blindly just tossed everything together. Lesson learned. Always double check part numbers. Thankfully I found a fellow who will sell me a new spring for the internal regulator, which should fix my problem.

In other news:

A friend bought me a strut bar in trade for some work. It was pretty rough s0 I decided to paint it black.

Installed my Triumph fast AIT sensor while the engine was out.

I also fixed two mistakes on my behalf- I'm running a rather uncommon setup- no emissions, but full sequential twins. I thought I checked all my solenoids but it appears I have a leaking one (imagine that). I can't hold vacuum on the control system for more then a few seconds and the check valves/vac chamber all test good. I'm going to tear it apart tonight and find the culprit.

And I did not seal the oil pan well enough. poo poo. This is going to suck to change on the hoist.

Brake update on the Miata: Gun Kote is awesome.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 27, 2013

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
$3 for a new spring and I pickup the painted parts tomorrow: loving awesome.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 28, 2013

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Well, today sucked, but there was progress on the FD.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
All OEM:

$499 OEM 99 bumper
$620 OEM 99 reinforcement
$120 OEM 99 under tray
$200 OEM 99 Lip
$400 OEM 99 combo lights
$200 OEM 99 Brake ducts
$15 Miata M badge

It's not cheap to do it OEM/Right.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Well, i'm exhausted- but it was worth it.

Ready to go together...

The famous rats nest- mines had the emissions removed.

Installed a new 5th gear syncro while I had the chance- the old one was missing 1/2 the teeth.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I would wager because I have had so many second gens, something like 27... I'm finally starting to want a Turbo II and a Turbo Vert again.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Oh, I forgot-

Interior is 95% back together.

And the engine is installed and it runs!

Bumper fitted.

Goodnight.

I also fixed my TIG water cooler and roofed the rest of the shop today. I'm going to go pass out to top gear, haha.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I still need to clean the overflow out, put in the fender liners, and bolt up the undertray/brake ducts- but I drove it :smuggo:. gently caress yes. This car is going to be a blast!

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
As it turns out, if you fall asleep with your shorts on, you will loose the only key to your newly finished car and spend an hour trying to find it.

I still have dozen things to fix, but it's good enough to take my son to school in tomorrow morning for his first day of kindergarden.

The shop has a roof!

Ah-ha! So that's where all my money went. (Minus the wife/kid/tools... haha.)

Typical weather, the next few days were supposed to be nice and this coming weekend was supposed to suck. This ofcourse flipped and I had to toss the ridge cap on temporarily to keep rain out of the insulation. Got it done in time to take some awesome pictures.

Oregon sunset.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I got more glares from other parents than anything, hahaha. Oh well- today is starting off interesting as always. I can't wait for this short week to be over. I'm thinking of making a custom air box. Not happy with how the huge K+N's fit right now.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
My father keeps asking when I'm going to buy a Porsche... I've started looking at 911's... :D

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Literally a week before I found out my Son was on the way, I had looked at a 03 C4S. Ofcourse there was no way I would buy one shortly after, but I have started lusting after the older air cooled 911's. I don't think it will be any time soon, but I would love to find one.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Seatbelts posted:

I wish I lived in a place with 0 snow load :canada:

Edit: I Hope your adding shear walls and are just doing it last for some strange reason

The floor must be poured first, then the walls go up. I have no doubt this would currently hold the ~1ft of snow we get each year. It was engineered to support solar water panels.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Shop update: Installed the 2x12x12/10 forms. Now I just need the foam and rebar to show up :)

Cleaned up the building materials.

Another awesome day before the rain...

Replaced the dual k+n filters with a single knighsports I had laying around. Made a air drat to prevent the radiator air blasting the filter.

Made a filler rod holder for my TIG.

Next up, I want to make a smaller battery tray and build a new intercooler.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 9, 2013

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Haha, no. It's a well tower. 500gal cedar barrel at the top, 1hp engine at the ground floor, 30ft well. Provided pressurized water via gravity to the property back in 1891.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Haha, that's the water level mount- it's been taken down for painting. It's no longer in use- we have a normal 150ft deep well. I used to have a thread about the house, but it fell in to the archives.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
You have made a terrible mistake Ironblock, lol.

Sorry for the lack of updates, the next few steps on the shop are taking all my attention.

Tractor stuff: I finally got the blade for my 78' 314 John Deere. It needs to be completely gone through, but it should be a great lawn tractor when I am done.

Awesome Oregon sky. Have to enjoy it while I can. Fall is here.

Installed the end cap.

This bloody thing. I never thought this little compactor would try and shake me apart quite as it did.

My brother got me some awesome bottle openers for my birthday.

More awesome sky.

Decided to buy some cheap construction lights to hang in the shop for now.

Well, my bad news is, either our slab is tilted or the building is. The floor is 7" in one corner, 8.5" in the other. This has to be fixed before we can move forward. Regardless we will correct it in the slab. Everything on the building is level.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
My neighbor came back over with his level again and found just the corner (about 10x10x15ft in) was raised. We raked and compacted it. Time for plastic and foam.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Man, I need motivation. And to get over this stomach bug. Anyone want to come dig trenches? lol

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
PSA: Rollbars in Miatas should be standard equipment. Here's my brothers car after a bit of wet roads, leaves, overconfidence, and a bit too much speed. Flipped once, cut a 8" tree in half, and landed up right in someones driveway. Walked away with minor injuries.

Sooooo locost?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
It's one continuous footing and is being poured at once- all 33yrds. Code requires the posts be surrounded by concrete with 6x 10d nails per post to anchor them. No worries. :)

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
How ya doin :D.
It would have been some time ago, I remember your user name- so there is a good chance. That far back I would have been driving a TII.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
1) 2x 10x12ft bay doors
2) 6"thick slab with 16" O.C. #4 rebar
3) 1500ft of 5/8ths pex is being installed for a heated floor. You break it up in to zones and can shut one off if you have a leak.
4) Cost, this project is creeping up on $30k.

Pay a contractor- you will underestimate the time involved and the willingness of friends to help will decline the longer it takes.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Oct 5, 2013

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Excuse the reverse order. I have been less than motivated lately, so this weekend we got a bit done. I'm several weeks behind (in my head) at this point.

Some temp plastic wrap to help keep rain from blowing in.

Laid out 3/4 of the foam.

Made a tool to check the footing width/angle.

12mil of black plastic with taped seams.

50 sheets of 2"x4x8 Fomular 150- Bought out the closest two HomeDepots.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
LS1's are outdated- all the cool kids are going LS3 now. What ever you do- don't put that set of bushings in, they are generally rated as terrible now. The one car I drove with them in it was painful. Sell them and buy a powerflex kit.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
You should let me know what you want for it before you go down that route. I know a couple of people looking for shells.

Todays shop progress:

Wrapped up the foam.

Installed our heated floors control supply/return valves. It's just temporary for a pressure test. I have to give more $$$ to the county this week for a mechanical permit... I should have just put this drat thing up as an AG (agriculture) building. Would have saved... $3k at this point.

Oh and we jacked the wrecked Miata up- going to start stripping it soon.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Needs moar car stuff. Sadly there's been nothing but shop work.

Busy weekend= heated floors installed. Rebar was loosely laid out.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
It was a split weekend: 1/2 cars, 1/2 shop.

I get to work on this beautiful 30k 93 R1 later this month. It's 100% stock, except the wheels and battery. The fellow even wants stock wheels back. It's perfect, garaged it's entire life, window sticker in the glove box. He wouldn't let me buy it :(. Haha.

Pulled apart a 93 Touring I worked on several years back. It was sold, overheated, and neglected since. Only has 67k too. My tech, Ben in the pictures.

Motherfucking copper stockleak. Awesome. Rage.

At least it was a nice day out :)

The shop is behind, like always. We need to get the rest of the rebar tied and the pex manifold installed/pressure tested ASAP. Concrete is hopefully next week.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 29, 2013

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I really need to borrow a Canon 7D and 17mm Prime from work.

Big: http://imgur.com/aDa7Eta

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
MOAR SHOP JUNK:

Plumbed up the pex and pressure tested it last night with my brother.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Today was loving awful. I woke up sick as hell at 8:30am after finally passing out at 3am. Went to head over to Pineapple and our trusty 306k 97 F150 finally lost a bearing at startup. There's so much wrong overall with the truck, I don't know if I can justify a used engine to slap in it. I've started searching for a 01-03 F250 7.3l crew cab short bed.

There was some engine progress for the red car:

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
You pretty much have it spot on. If you used mesh, you could just zip tie it to that and put it in the middle of the slab. We chose to put it on the foam in case we want to drill in to the slab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
The minimum recommendations are 4000 psi and 4" thick minimum for a 10k 2 post Bendpak lift.