Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I'll take a paperweight! Whereabouts in Oregon are you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

McTinkerson posted:

Yeah, once you get a reputation as the local rotary guy - they just start showing up. It pisses me off the no end that my local guy (Conroy whom I'm pretty sure the spyder knows or has heard of) gets not running RX's for free. To the tune of one every couple months.

Goddammit, people are getting free RX's and here I am throwing money into a fire Fiero.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

the spyder posted:

Hahahaha. No. Maybe if she didn't drive 16k a year and it got better then 15mpg I would consider it. I have been keeping a look out for one, but it's pretty slim pickings around here.

What do you mean, this one's in West Linn, looks great for an LS1 swap...

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/5376010211.html

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

leica posted:

The Roadrunner is amazing, is that a Hemi or a 440? I can never tell the Mopar motors apart.

Definitely not a hemi, they have huge valve covers with plug wires going through them.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

slurry_curry posted:

Since you seem to be the PNW rotary whisperer, do you know anything about this truck?

I have been looking for a cheap little truck to handle basic around town truck duties, and its hard to say no to a weird rotary swap.

The issue I see with that around Portland is that you still need to get it through DEQ. How are the emissions on those typically?

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
...We're going to need to do a Portland meetup when either of those are finished. I live in south Beaverton, so, uh, happy to help if you need help road testing.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

the spyder posted:

"Was" is definitely appropriate. (yes)

Body-on-frame construction! :black101:

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

blk posted:

Ugh, Lambos in town seems wrong. Welcome to New Portland, I guess.

The dudes are just trying to find time to drive them in between protests downtown. I wonder what would be left of them if an antifa protest happened by. Charred frame?

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

the spyder posted:

I've been busy with work and when I seem to make ~1h here or there to work on stuff, I keep forgetting to take pictures.

On the plus side I found a local liquor store that has an AMAZING selection of Japanese Whisky.

Nice! Where's it at? I might have to hit them up.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

mekilljoydammit posted:

Chassis side is in the way.

Power bulge in the chassis??

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Turbo LS swap for the Fiesta ST?

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I'm not a welder and I'm not saying you did it wrong, I'm just curious: Doesn't stainless steel need an inert atmosphere to be welded? I've seen people plumb argon into a SS header they were welding together to keep the inside in an inert atmosphere. Is it just a small enough joint here that it's not a problem?

Also, "because reasons" is the best justification for any hobby project.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

the spyder posted:

What you are describing is common for header or pipe fabrication where the oxidation also known as sugaring, is unacceptable. Stainless otherwise is commonly welded “open atmosphere”. The gas lens (pink) I’m using is designed for higher flow and the post-gas flow is 10seconds. This floods the weld with argon and the post flow keeps it covered until the weld puddle cools.

Alright, so the shape and size of the joint negate the need for something fancy, and allow you to up your gas flow so the immediate area around the weld is an inert atmosphere.

The specific example I was thinking of (the exhaust header), he filled the tubes with argon, since the gas wouldn't otherwise get there from the torch.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

:suspense:

So yeah, Portland area goon meet? You might want to stock up on shop towels.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Project Binky is one of the greatest feasts of automotive fabrication I've ever seen, and I'm sure they've got enough leftover cardboard templates to make an entire cardboard Binky by now.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

the spyder posted:

What do I do? Embrace the dong?

:lol:

Gently caress it.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

the spyder posted:

Donghouse™

I SAID WHOSE HOUSE?

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Big Taint posted:

Nah that’s for the insert to repair the threads that blew out. That’s the black part on the end of the plug.

Oh god, thanks for the explanation. I was looking at this on my phone and couldn't figure out what the hell was up with the plug.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

the spyder posted:

I only recently looked this up myself. It's such a simple and functional design, I just wish they weren't $5k to even get them show up (no cost to me here, ISP paid for it). It would make running electricity to all my buildings so much easier. Another fun part of the design, when it's at the destination they replace the spade with a hook and pull conduit back through as they retract it.

That's awesome. The first person to show up with that setup must have looked like a goddamned wizard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I'm curious about what happened to the garage door.