Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

Screw practicality, best 1 mile commute ever.

the spyder posted:

Bumper fitted.

Spyder, I want you to know that this image was single-handedly responsible for me buying an FD. God dammit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

I only have a few tiny pictures, because in addition to other amazing life choices, I bought this from a Japanese export-craigslist thing, and it's all I've ever seen of the car. :v:

It's a '94 R2, 60k-ish miles, as unmolested as they seem to get in Japanland (still has the stock steering wheel). Has what I think are old-style Ohlins DFVs, and some other tasty treats. I'll do my own thread for this car so I don't poo poo up Spyder's with my shenanigans.

the spyder posted:

You have made a terrible mistake Ironblock, lol.

It's... it's worse than you know. I live on a tiny Caribbean island and commute maybe a mile to work. The highest speed limit on Grand Cayman is 50, as far as I know. There's no elevation change and hardly anything you could call a corner. My coworker and my boss have a CL65 AMG and a G65 AMG (:iia:) respectively, so while I'm not at the pinnacle of moronic decision-making, I make up some of the lost ground with the fact that it's a 19 year old twin-turbo rotary that I've never laid hands on. :downs:

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

whorfin posted:

(can't stand popups)
LS1 conversion

Sounds like you should sell it and buy a Corvette then :v:

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

the spyder posted:

Called in the inspection and double checked with my contractor- we are good for inspection :D. Wish me luck tomorrow.

It's really cool watching this all come together. It's given me a lot to think about as far as building climate-controlled shops...

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

I can vouch for the effectiveness of the solar water heaters. My parents live up in the mountains/forest of California, and they use a solar system to heat their pool and hot tub. Most of the time, the solar is able to keep the water in the hot tub well above ambient air temperature, and then they use the heater for the final push when they're going to use it. On hot days, they pipe it away from the pool or the whole thing can end up north of 90*F.

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

the spyder posted:

Correct- Harbor Freight had one for $7. I already got one nail in a tire so I decided to try it out. Works pretty well.

When I was a kid, my parents remodeled their house. My dad gave me a hard drive magnet tied to six feet of string, and paid me a penny per nail to go "fishing" between the floor joists. I think your thing probably works a lot better than that did.

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

Deoxit is the only thing that was ever able to get the 300ZX ECU in my 280ZX to make good enough pin contact to actually run the motor. It's expensive, but that poo poo is magical :v:

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

Practical... wagon... hmmm.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cadillac-CTS-V-Wagon-4-Door-2013-cts-v-wagon-manual-6-speed-black-diamond-ebony-recaro-9380-miles-/221355760067

In all seriousness, the regular CTS Wagon is probably just as good and costs a lot less.

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

How interchangeable do 13B parts end up being? For owning an FD, I know actually very little about the nitty gritty engine stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

Finally caught up on this thread, and it's making me want an awesome shop, and another FD. It blows my mind that I was able to get one with 60k miles into the Cayman Islands for $5000, and they're two or three times that here.

Makes me wonder if I should have tried to import FD-chan... :(