Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

What are you actually doing here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

the spyder posted:

I got more glares from other parents than anything, hahaha.

You know you're doing it right, then :cool:

"Well you see, my son can count to eleven." *long rolling burnout*

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Mat_Drinks posted:

I think given how many vehicles you already have you should either:
a. Say gently caress practicality and get the STI/Evo
b. Get a pure, but fun form of a good mpg vehicle like a fit/versa/xa/fiat 500

B is where I'm thinking myself; once I get my truck running I hope it satisfies my need to go fast in something that shouldn't go that fast, and that I'd be more willing to deal with a regular 500 / Fiesta 3cyl or something like that.

Maybe.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Negromancer posted:

I really need to stop looking at this thread. Every time I do, I end up on craigslists looking at rx7's....

This, except instead of RX7s (...mostly) it's land to build a shop like that.

the spyder posted:

Figured I should check the compression.

Is a setup like that kind of a must-have since one lobe could still be building good compression and faking out a traditional compression tester? Seems slick either way.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

leica posted:

That sucks dude, my awesome neighbor passed away not too long ago too. She was the best neighbor ever :smith:

And just out of curiosity, has anyone ever went NA with an FD because they got sick of losing apex seals?

I assume you aren't including LSx swaps :v:

Still jealous of that shop.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Those things are loving monsters. Nice score.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Nanostations are the loving poo poo, excellent choice.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

mafoose posted:

What I do to hold cams is two crescent wrenches clamped together by vise grips. Works even better if you have one of those awesome clamping adjustable wrenches that AI turned me onto.

That looks like what he's doing, with a bit of angle iron to boot. And yeah, it worked great when I did the timing belt on my old NB Miata.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

My MS3 had a stub axle seize in a wheel bearing like that. Two shops tried and failed to extract it, so that dead wheel bearing cost me an axle, a knuckle, and a hub, too.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Is that failure one that would've shown good compression on a normal compression tester if he used one of those, and not that funky electronic compression tester that shows each chamber separately?

Either way, seller is a dick, gently caress this guy.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

My Ranger had that same leak. Of course, since it rains so rarely in AZ, I never got around to fixing it, even though I did buy some sealant which is still sitting in my garage, unopened :v:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The whole distilled vs tap is really based around water you're going to be leaving in the system long term with heat cycles and poo poo. If you're literally just blasting water through an opened system with a hose, it doesn't matter as long as you make some minimal effort to flush the remnants of the tap water out.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Nodoze posted:

Nothing wrong with getting a Speed 3

Especially if you want to rid the world of as many 215/45R18 tires as possible, while doing your best to not torquesteer into every tree :getin:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

In all seriousness I wish there was basically a full-on Mazda version of an E30. Front-engine, rear drive sedan with a BP and dirt cheap NA/NB Miata mechanicals. Near zero market for such a thing, though.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

mekilljoydammit posted:

Rotary swap the truck? Someone had to say it. :D

It'll probably burn less oil than the factory engine, anyway!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

:barf:

The hell is that poo poo?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Those black/yellow storage tubs are the best. One of these days I'll switch everything in my garage over to them.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Moreleth posted:

gravel/dirt get super heavy fast. You'd be revving to 6k just to try to get rolling from a stop. :) If not, flood. lol!

Yup - just takes a few inches of gravel in a truck bed to get you riding near the bump stops.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I've never seen non ethanol in Arizona

I won't say never because I remember a time when the pumps used to say "oxygenated between November and April" but it has been a long, long time. Literally only race fuel here is available as E0.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Also my favorite bit about QT in Phoenix is that one of the first ones built - maybe even the first one built? - is closer to Circle K's regional HQ than the nearest actual Circle K is. I would've put a map here but it looks like that QT (Warner / Hardy) closed down. That's the only one I've seen close down altogether. They did buy a property adjacent to one of their locations in north Tempe, then flattened the QT and rebuilt it to be about 3x the size across both lots. Was closed for something like three months.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That grey slime in the valvecovers :stare:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

In a very real way, the enormous loving AC electric motor is the ultimate rotary.

[glances at Opel]

:thunk:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

the spyder posted:

And there ends the good news. As soon as it was on the lift, I could tell it had never touched the rack. There were no signs of this ever being on a rack, yet alone being pulled straight. Pinchwelds untouched, measurements still off. I was pissed for about three days

And people wonder why I will only go with a shop as a matter of last resort. loving sucks to have to pay for work that doesn't even meet your own standards, let alone anyone else's.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

With a story like that, whatever you paid was worth it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRYk2-9EDks

Maybe this is why I think FDs look so right in yellow.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

These are all funny ways to spell "Velocity Red Mica".

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm reading that as the other way around, it lights the third brake light when the tank is full so you know to stop pouring.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I appreciate the hell out of your videos.

That tank should do the trick. I have the steam line on my C10 run to a tee in the upper radiator hose, but when I'm filling the system I disconnect it and hold it up so air can more easily escape through both.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'd be annoyed at the mixed results on the zinc - but I also think the end result looks fantastic even with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

And here I consider it an achievement if I wipe most of the dust off of an always-visible interior piece before it goes back on the car.