Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Man I have been there. I finished the roof on my shed last year as ice pellets were hailing down on me. Just pile on as much weather proofing as you can to save the inside, even if your garage has to look like poo poo until spring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I really like the look of the lancer sport back but gently caress cvt only

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

the spyder posted:

Well, I had a good friend of mine stop by for a visit and smack some car sense in to me.

In the name of practicality I need to ignore the STI/Evo and keep in mind I'm after a commuter.
1) Must fit four adults and sometimes a car seat.
2) 30mpg+
3) AWD- This is optional, but would be great.
4) Decent sized cargo area

My bank is offering 1.9% on anything 2005 or newer, which removes all the cheap 02' wagons. With that in mind, I started looking at the following:
Subaru Forester XT
Honda Element
Ford Escape/Mercury Hybrid
Audi A3

This puts me closer to $12k and with the extra $$$ I could finally build my 20b block up and get it installed in my 93 R1. I'm ok with sacrificing a fun DD, if it means I get my 20b FD finished sooner. :D

I'm also after something with the same requirements and I'd add the VW GTI to the list. Its nearly the same car as the A3 but seems more affordable on the used market. The Impreza hatch is also worth a look but between the head gasket issues on the NA Subaru's and the fuel economy I'm getting a bit gun shy even though they're great to drive.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

the spyder posted:

That brings up another option:

Buy a 2wd, high MPG commuter car and wait for the truck to die/replacing it with a 4wd diesel. My single complain is I can't park a F2/350 where I work without paying for street parking. Our F150 barely fits in the parking garage as-is.

If you're doing mostly highway miles the Nissan maxima can't be beat for a cheap beater sedan. They go really cheap around here.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I would say "British Engineering, something, something, something"

But this really belongs in the BMW thread, as its mostly German engineering anyways, "GOD drat COOLING SYSTEM!"

Yes that is most definitely a german cooling part right there. Bonus points if that isn't even under pressure during operation.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

the spyder posted:

$100 craigslist Ingersoll Rand SS-5 from ~2002. The motor was burnt up and the pressure switch is missing- but the pump looks great. It appears this is before the terrible smaller SS5 pumps that fail constantly. This is rated for 18.1CFM @90psi and 15CFM continuous. I already have a 5hp Champion horizontal 80gal, but I like the smaller vertical footprint of this compressor. I also happen to have a IR T30 pump and 5hp Baldor motor, so I might just use the tank. Franken compressor time :D.

My father in law had a crazy setup with a fast 5hp motor with a small tank bonded to some sort of lopey slow motor with a huge tank that spun at 500rpm and sounded like a steam locomotive. It was bizarre but it worked really well. If it dropped below 100psi the fast motor would compensate, otherwise the slow one would clunka clunka clunka away keeping things in check.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I'm so insanely jealous right now of your shop.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I did the research myself a while back and T8s are in the price/performance sweet spot right now. T5s are arguably better but don't seem to share the cheap price and availability of the T8s.

Those garbage Chinese ballasts that come with the cheap lights sure are terrible though.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Looking good. What kind of siding are you using there?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

MiniFoo posted:

How are people this incompetent? :psyduck:

Its amazing really. Reading through this thread it seems most people just lose their minds working on rotaries and start randomly plugging hoses into anything or just removing them altogether.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

the spyder posted:

It's part of the reason I don't want to work on these basket cases anymore. I've got a half dozen of the things, all in various stages of WTF was the PO thinking. Everyone is broke and wants something for nothing. It's just not worth it. It's why I'm telling people I'll do what I can, but to come get their cars before the end of the year. /rant

I think a lot of "collectable" cars go through this lovely in between phase when they age. After it they either end up being priceless and sought after, usually with owners willing to pay money to restore them, or they fade away with the exception of a few die hard fans.

During the lovely phase though you've got a wide gamut of owners who want to genuinely restore the car, do something strange with it, or just have one for dick waving purposes. The first group is cool, second group can be cool if they're going to do a nice job of swapping a different engine into it or something, the last group is poison.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

If you're going to do some conduit and outlets on the ceiling for those lights do yourself a favour and get some four gang boxes instead of two. I did this in my shop and being able to reach up and plug a power tool or hand light in almost everywhere is amazing.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I was going to joke that the damage to the truck would buff right out and then it did just that. I think you did the right thing not screwing the kid

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Taurus' have horrible heater cores that rot inside and you shouldn't feel bad at all hitting it with the most nuclear option you have to clean it out otherwise you'll never get reliable heat in there ever.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

the spyder posted:

When? I'm in Japan in for 1/2 of June!

This is when Mazda is going to abduct you and force you to work in their underground skunkworks rotary lab

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

The Eunos Cosmo was Mazdas answer to the Soarer UZZ32. Freaking awesome car that was way ahead of it's time technology-wise. I'd love to pick one up to own, but I can't begin to imagine the headache involved in fixing/replacing all the little things that must go wrong with these. Still, 20B!!!

You'd be just the right person to own a Cosmo imo

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I had a good thing like that going for a while with three family members owning Maximas. I'd get a call describing a missing cylinder and off I went with my magic box of 15 junkyard coilpacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

If it has a 5 speed you did something incredibly right