Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

the spyder posted:

I have access to one, but I probably won't have a chance to take it over there until after the machine is reassembled. It's definitely a odd thread (to me at least coming from the land of Metric and BPT/NTP)- Commodore64 would know more.

They make ACME taps too. I've got a couple of small ones. Spendy to buy new, but hey... they do the trick. I assume we're talking about the internal thread of the powerfeed piece you brazed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

the spyder posted:

Big picture dump coming soon!

But first:

More later.

:aaaaa:
Holy gently caress

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
I'd watch.
I watch a lot of Youtube as I'm doing mindless stuff, or on the couch.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Combined with the fact that you had to add oil because they burn it as part of normal operation. Back in the 70s and 80s, that used to be common on all engines, but starting in the 90s, engine tech got to the point that mom never needed to check the oil in her Camry, and yeah... The RX8 suffered because no one read the manual and a lot of them ran dry.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
:f5: come on update...

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

the spyder posted:

Spoiler: Check out this plate. Gigidy.

Unrelated- but amusing. I ordered one additional 50' Flexzilla Extension Cord of AWD. Check out what I got?

Wait. It's NOT EVEN THE RIGHT HOSE REEL FOR THE BOX.

And it's damaged.

They took it back, but the rep couldn't promise someone else wouldn't end up in the same situation I just did.

There's a lot of assholes who do that. GJ has an AWD thread, and I'd wager that 25% or more are the wrong item, often the cheapest HF knockoff available, stuffed in the original packaging. Then again, it's always worth a gamble, because I've gotten some crazy deals. A Justrite flammables cabinet (the little desktop-sized one) for $40 shipped, a bunch of rubber floor mats for in front of benches for like $20-$30 when they're $90+ normally, and a 4-pack of Akro-Mills folding lid storage totes for $36. If there's a problem, they always take them back. There's also the Amazon deals on "100-packs" that are actually 1-packs, and they just tell you to keep the single instead of sending it back. I've gotten a couple of grinding wheels that way.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
7.3s are well built for stock use. You bump the power up a bunch, they tend to fall apart. They also have some Achilles heels, like the VCG carrying the glowplug harness, and the hpop that'll happily inject engine oil instead of fuel if the O-rings fail. Such a shame, only 99k...

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Crunchy Black posted:

WHAT

okay, story time.

Not much of a story. You can see it in the pictures. The glow plug electrical harness runs inside the valve cover gasket. It eventually fails and if you don't get it fixed and start the truck in cold weather, it'll fire on 7, 6, or 5 cylinders. This leads to major issues. Fuel washdown on the non-firing cylinders, cam/crank wear due to massive imbalance in loads, excessive cranking cooking the starter, or (maybe the culprit in this case) use of ether. Modern diesels aren't the Screaming Jimmy's of yesteryear, ether causes a ton of problems.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Elmnt80 posted:

Weird lookin dong on it there buddy.

It's got a semi-flared base, I'd say it's safe.

Very cool product, and hopefully the community can quit suffering the inferior versions. I hate it when there's a niche product and the manufacturer decides that they can treat customers like crap because they're a captive audience.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
I'll bet that made a noise. Glad you're ok (I assume). I've seen the damage a setup failure can do to the inside of a machine and the adjacent wall. It's scary the amount of energy contained in a cutting operation.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

the spyder posted:

And as a side note, nothing has me more upset than the Porsche and the F250. We knew eventually these trees would cause damage, but I wish I had finished these projects or moved them. Oh well. It's all fixable, just time and money I don't have.

Sorry man. I saw the picture of the 911, and thought the worst. It doesn't look that bad, but photos don't do it justice. Hopefully insurance isn't a dick about it.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

the spyder posted:

I’m doing a ton of fastener research. Finding M8 JIS small head flange nuts/bolts in yellow zinc without paying belmetric prices is turning out to be very difficult. Then you get into indented/non indebted heads and serrated or non. Hoping to put some kits together.

Edit: 100% eating my words. Just found a supplier with everything I’m after. Wow. I’ve searched for days over the last few years and now someone carries exactly what I’m after.
Care to share? Sharing is caring.

LloydDobler posted:

That is nuts.

:v:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

These 2 in sequence are amusing.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

XtaC posted:

Great work mate, it turned out nice and neat in the end.

Keep helping the oldies, we only get a limited time with them :(

Boy ain't that the truth, on both accounts.

Love the kid-selfie

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
31,5. Over under on 75k?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Didn't meet reserve. Interesting, I thought it would go higher. Couple of dings on the CarFax don't help, but it's super rare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Yes.
:flashfap: