Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

parid
Mar 18, 2004
Condolences on the new project. That's going to be a bit of work. Cars like this, abused, are what give rotaries such a bad name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parid
Mar 18, 2004
I'll take the oil pressure regulator and oil pump if it will fit my cone topped application :).

parid
Mar 18, 2004
More cheap parts for us! There's a silver lining :). I wonder what happens to all these mistakes. I don't see them in junk yards. They must just end up in the yards of parts hoarders.

parid
Mar 18, 2004
That price could be great to bad. Depends on what else is wrong and that the diagnostic of clank is good, quality of the body work, health of the engine... Ect. There are a lot of common problems (the clunk you describe could also be bushings which are bad is they are the factory units) and upgrades needed ( cooling mainly ). Find a local expert and have it inspected. You are just rolling the dice otherwise.

parid
Mar 18, 2004
You might be too harsh on the boring car. When I made my big car moves last year (sold the FD, started commuting in the volt instead of the WRX) I was surprised at how little I missed it. Cruising on the freeway or in traffic is a terrible way to appreciate a car. Get a boring car. It will be cheap, comfortable, and reliable. Put your money into the FDs. It will make driving them all that much more special.

parid
Mar 18, 2004
New garage? FD owner? You bet there's cardboard under them.

parid
Mar 18, 2004
I went as far as a brand new pan on my last one. Eventually gave up. Engine mounts bolting through the oil pan is the worst design ever. The twins aren't super convenient to service either.

parid
Mar 18, 2004
If you ever want race time, all I need is a little motor help. Lots of exciting races coming up this year. I'll win you over at some point :).

parid
Mar 18, 2004
Throw that s5 my way then you don't have an awful choice to make and the kit can end up with the turbo build like it should. ;). What are friends for.

parid
Mar 18, 2004
That poor FD. You're doing god's work. Party on.

parid
Mar 18, 2004
Is that an apex seal pressed into the side of the rotor?

parid
Mar 18, 2004

the spyder posted:

And here's how we left things Sunday night. The white car is getting ready to be stripped. I'm sure Parid will be bugging me any time for the engine core that's being pulled.

Did someone say FC engine part packrat? :) I was about to give up on my project due to lack of parts.

parid
Mar 18, 2004
Are the housings at least in decent condition? :(

parid
Mar 18, 2004
Yeah screw the side jobs. You have enough going on already. Do your own stuff for a bit. Also, come racing :). PIR is only 3 weeks away!

parid
Mar 18, 2004
TurboJeff is still taking projects but I think its more buying distressed cars and selling them on for a profit once healthy again.

You may be forced to do what the rest of us have. Become your own expert. Its a long road but a rewarding one.

parid
Mar 18, 2004
Does he autox? Mazdacomp has piles of miata body panels for all the spec racers.

parid
Mar 18, 2004

Brigdh posted:

Autocrossers are not allowed to order body panels from Mazdaspeed

Huh, you learn something every day. A local friend of mine did, but I suppose he hillclimbs too (and it was a hillclimb misadventure that caused the need for said body panels).

parid
Mar 18, 2004
If its on factory tires you can be sure all the rubber in the engine bay is too. The fuel pulsation damper and rats nest is a time bomb. I can't imagine the risk of that 1 hr drive to both car and driver.

parid
Mar 18, 2004
I have boiled stock port rotaries several times (on the track!) without popping anything serious inside. It depends on how hard you were pushing it and how quickly you shut it down. How did your oil temps do? Remember the whole center of the motor is only cooled by oil. Water isn't your only cooling system.

parid
Mar 18, 2004
Once you are on your second or third rotary and people get wind, they just start showing up. I have been given a couple for free as well. The ones that end up with me almost never end up back on the road though.

parid
Mar 18, 2004
Hey that's my old car! I could swear I did these oil rings at some point in one of the cars that I put that engine into. Ohh wait, one of the kids who had their hands on it blew up the motor right? I guess the turbos might have gotten changed too. Is the wastegate ported? Poor FDs. Always always always abused by some massive list of previous owners. I think there was one 2 or 3 before me.

parid
Mar 18, 2004
Sisyphus:Rolling rocks up hill as Spyder:Saving disaster FDs that no one else will. The question is what was your crime...

Reminder, you still need to coming racing with me. Portland, June, think about it.

parid
Mar 18, 2004
June 18-19, 2016 at PIR

September 17-18, 2016 at ORP

October 29-30, 2016 at The Ridge

And if you really want to get wild... August 2016 at Rosarita Beach on a closed Mexican street. So far, I haven't found anyone else brave/stupid enough to be willing to do this with me.

parid
Mar 18, 2004
That exhaust port is unthinkable.

parid
Mar 18, 2004
I hate ruining your fine fab work on the coolant pressure tank with this shoty install but the hood was already hacked up and the race is next week ;).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parid
Mar 18, 2004
Without the hood:

Only registered members can see post attachments!