Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Hey spyder, have I met you? Have you ever been on a group drive up around Snohomish county Washington? I see some PMS on rx7club.com to/from a spyder... I haven't posted there for like 7 years until this week... (I'm cpt_gloval there)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I have major garage envy. Right now I have an '85 GS with a freshish Jeff20b-built engine (REPU-spec intake ports!), carb, trans, clutch, drive shaft, '81 GSL rear end, radiator, oil cooler, and a full stock exhaust - with no place to work on putting it all together.

The guy I used to rent a 10x20 to keep my motorcycles in doesn't have any units available now, either. Massive bummer!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yeah Jeff knows goddamn everything and takes time to help me understand. He's going to set it up with DLIDFIS for me once its on the road and I can drive it to him.

Also, I guess I spoke too soon about not having a garage. My next door neighbor seemed pretty open to talking about it so we are going to do that when it's light enough to scope the space out.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Negromancer posted:

thanks to this thread I am now looking at rx7's on CL. I found this '85 GSL-SE that looks pretty nice. Depends how much he wants for it. I have been planning on picking up another mr2, but I have always wanted a rx7.

I guess you live near me, I was seeing that come up when I was looking for parts for my '85.

GSL-SEs are cool if you like the (now-inevitably-broken) luxury options, a beefier suspension and drivetrain, and about 300lbs more weight. I prefer the GSL package with the carbureted 12a; feels more... connected to my foot I guess, the Bosch-alike '80s EFI isn't the most responsive. Also, the 1st gen leather seats like you'll find in a -SE are not great. The series 3 (84-85) cloth seats hold up better, are more comfortable, and grip your butt better.

I had a GSL and a GSL-SE back to back about 10 years ago. The entire time I was driving the -SE, I just wanted my GSL back. Now that I am ruining my life with another RX-7, I got a GS and am building it to GSL-spec where it counts (rear end).

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
My wife has been looking at Volvos with the T5 engine, seems like they strike a good fun/practicality balance. She also likes the Nissan Juke and will probably buy an AWD turbo model for like $15,000.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

For a moment I thought that was a

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

the spyder posted:

With 5 hours of sleep, I picked up a trailer from my friend and took our 320k truck to pickup the bandsaws today. Que two old guys with dueling forklifts, working in seamless unison to load these two beasts-it was amazing. I forgot to take pictures.

I've fallen in love with the Do-All. I'll post more of the cleanup later.

That's just about the best load securing job I've ever seen from an Oregonian. Good job!

Does Oregon have super-lax trailer rules? I swear every time I go there, I see at least a couple incredibly dangerous looking rigs.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

torpedan posted:

I was thinking of getting an rx-7 and this thread has made me afraid of what I will find if I do. Not that it will stop me from buying one, just that I won't be puzzled if it runs terribly and is lucky to make it back to my house.

Get a straight rust free shell and build it up.

I am so excited, I towed my straight rust-free shell (now with engine and transmission!!!) home last night. I have to wire the engine. Probably going to just put in the basics w/ a relay switched from inside and run Jeff's DLIDFIS ignition he was bothering me to put in.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Put it in a GLC.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Hahahah holy poo poo a turbo rotary go-kart.

How did the builder survive long enough to sell it?

Estate sale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Do they still do Sevenstock? I remember going like 11 years ago.