Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
My neighbor is a professional tree trimmer and... feller? Anyways, he showed med the trunk of his work van and I counted five or six Stihls. A chainsaw is, apparently, not just a chainsaw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Edumacate me; why does the concrete need sawing?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I'm every shade of green with envy.

It's not until now I realize how tall the structure is (seeing the door.) Should work very nicely for lifts and storage.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I'm curious about the mounting. I've often wondered how/why two-post lifts actually stayed in place. The torque where it meets the floor must be quite high.

(So, so jealous...)

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
True, if you're talking about fore/aft. I'm thinking about the forces that try to make the two posts tip towards each other, perpendicular to the length of the car.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Plenty of two post lifts have nothing between the tops of the columns. If there's a section there, it's probably for chain/wires/hydraulic lines. If not, they are run either under a small panel resting on the ground, between the posts, or, for a more involved installation they're embedded in the floor.

I know that the 8-12 concrete anchors in the base of each post is enough to withstand the torque generated, I'm just puzzled because it seems counter-intuitive. The dynamic loads must be in 1000kg + range, and that's before doing a safety multiplier.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Excited to hear your impressions once the LEDs are up and running. What's the lumen/watt on these compared to florescents?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

the spyder posted:

My son wanted to be lifted on the hoist... OUCH is all I could think. Ah, to be made of Jello again... (And not have testicles... haha!)

Haha, My friend's kid (5 years old) and I took turn lifting each other on my big floor jack. Being able to lift a fully grown man was infinitely amusing to him. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Wait, a bandsaw like that comes with ITS OWN loving WELDER and you're not even expected to but actively ENCOURAGED TO CUT AND WELD THE SAW BLADE TO DO "CAPTIVE" CUTS?!

gently caress. That's metal.