Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

That blows, but yeah you're not the first guy to learn that the hard way. Basically you suffer one natural disaster or vandalism incident and then get covered from then on. My 122 has had full comp and collision for the last 6 years with the engine out because it's only around $15 a month and I'm too lazy to switch it to storage to save like $5 a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

That is nuts.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Elmnt80 posted:

The kiddo needs some shop overalls. Gonna get that princess dress all dirty. :kimchi:

She can't be safety princess without the dress. Safety princess says WEAR YOUR HELMET.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I've always wanted to know, and your post just reminded me to look up how they steer those underground drills. It's another one of those things that's so simple and clever that it pisses me off that I didn't think of it.

The bit on the drill tip has a big angle on one side. If the drill is spinning it goes straight. When they want to turn they just stop the bit in the right orientation and push. The angle on the end steers it in the direction they want it to go. The shafts are flexible enough to let it turn (within limits). All they need is an encoder on the motor and a display shows them how the bit is clocked at all times, without needing closed loop feedback.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Was it made in China? Because that's what happens when you order parts to be made in China. Don't ask me how I know.

Pretty sure that cutter went super dull and/or broke, and it picked up a big ball of aluminum on the edge and just forced it through the material. Although loose tool is a very strong possibility also. The flatness I'm sure is just due to welding without proper preheat.

Their website says everything is made in USA, but it also says they try to make stuff in-house whenever possible, so yeah I bet they subcontracted that and got hosed, and might not have even inspected it. Because that's drat embarrassing.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 10, 2021

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Hey Spyder, could you find a hole in your shop for an alignment machine?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3515402&pagenumber=30&perpage=40&userid=0#post521613026

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

That's funny. I probably should have known but ah well.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I missed this but apparently caught the end of it because I followed that black Falcon for about 5 minutes saturday morning. How can I get notified of these things?

Edit: Of course you posted it in the PNW thread and I missed it. ugh.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You're an inspiration for us all. Seriously.