Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Is it safe to flush with the hose? What about all this "only use distilled water" stuff I see on forums. I am just asking because I am trying to decide whether or not to flush my later model Taurus this week before we take it on a 1000 mile round trip. During very hot days on the interstate the past year the temp gauge would spike (though never overheated). Other than those scenarios it stays at 1/3 and does not move no matter temp or AC on or what. I don't want to go looking for trouble if it's not going to be a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Well not to derail this thread but I am not sure what to do: my Taurus has hot reliable heat, runs perfectly, doesn't overheat (other than those random interstate temp spikes on hot days). I just bought Motorcraft t-stat, coolant, and five gallons of distilled. Should I flush this and replace t-stat before vacation or leave well enough alone?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Its a Mercury with a Vulcan V6. I'm sure it will be fine with a little bit of tap water floating around in it.

I removed old t-stat and flushed the system (with 5 gallons of distilled!) my fluid looked good but some was a little milky/foamy? New t-stat (one of the housing bolts broke off so that was a pain to drill and tap) and fluids all refreshed. Also blew compressed air through as good as I could. Here's hoping no problems on the way to the beach.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

kastein posted:

Bringing things back to coolant flush methods... I've had to put 25-30 gallons of water through a block to get it to run even slightly clear before. Ten years of cast iron exposed to old acidified coolant (possibly with tap water mixed in by previous owners) is enough to leave a lot of sediment and rust in there. Like everyone said, just tip it as far forward as you can and blast it with compressed air before finishing the flush with distilled water.

Fun trick - if you ever need to get coolant drained below the level of a water pump or thermostat opening so that the gasket surface will dry and the RTV or gasket shellac will adhere properly, soak a paper towel or rope in water and drape it from inside the cooling system to outside and below. It'll act like a siphon.

Not that anyone cares but after worrying so much - my flush (with distilled but I realize a garden hose would probably be fine) and fill the car made it fine over 1200 miles and the temp gauge didn't move a bit even averaging 80-85. So glad I tackled the job maybe just some sludge in the system?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
The only "bad" looking stuff that came out of it was milky white, so I'm thinking when I had it serviced right after I got the car they used regular water...

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

mafoose posted:

50/50 is not the perfect ratio for everyone, and you're paying over twice the price for half the amount of coolant. A gallon of distilled water is <$1 most places.

I paid 88cents a gallon at Walmart and yes 50/50 coolant is a ripoff you are paying the basically $5+ dollars per half gallon of WATER

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

the spyder posted:

She really, really wants a 4.0/5spd Wrangler. My biggest concern is child safety, mainly hearing damage. Plus we live in Oregon and she wants a soft top.

And what is the mileage on that? And the prices are high. And can you say cabin intrusion? I would veto that for wife and kids. Now for me...

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Hell of a bargain I say, and with your skills just swap another motor in it if that's what it comes to.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I am drunk and overstepping bounds but what made things go bad in life? Don't get mad when you read a forum post from someone for a few years you feel like you know them. I hope and pray things get better. I enjoy your posts.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
AI as gently caress love it

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
If she hasn’t killed you at this point keep TESTING THE LIMIT

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I don’t even like dorito engines but this thread always delivers can not wait to see this Celica

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I envy a lot about you but mainly HOW MUCH WORK YOU GET DONE.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I read your thread and ask myself how do you keep up with these projects? As I literally was putting about 8 vehicles to “sleep” in my backyard for my upcoming vacation (which isn’t nearly the amount I own) sometimes reality sets in lol.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

the spyder posted:

It's not much of a surprise. We decided early on we wanted something that was easily sourced at a junk yard - 5.3's are super common up and down the west coast at any of the tracks we race at. It's backed by a CD009 6spd trans, again - easy to find. Nothing's worse than not racing because the local rotary guy isn't answering his phone or CL flakes.

How are you not the local rotary guy?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
There is plenty of interesting stuff out there even if at first glance it seems like it wouldn't be. I have put off watching "Ratarossa" bc it just seemed cringe but it turns out the dude is just a Ferrari junky without Ferrari money. His latest where he buys this 512 BB that has been sitting outside for 14 years is amazing. Oh but of course people do crap like that all the time in different capacities. But he spends half the latest episode showing how he is carefully diagnosing things and getting out the ignition tumbler without breaking anything is just good, interesting stuff. I highly recommend.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
That is going to be amazing and well worth it after

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Would love some more feedback on that head unit.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Knowing absolutely nada about rotaries but being in TN that rx8 sounds like it’s worth scrap value to me. Or no more than 6-800 bucks.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Looks great

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
So you got the wheels for $400 shipping cost? I can do that last year they were estimating $800 plus for a set. You have 30 days free at the warehouse they could have thrown in more buys with those wheels for almost no shipping. Did you get a shipping price before buying? One of the drawbacks is it used to be I had to estimate what shipping would be.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
fantastic update - can't wait to see how the car turns out over the next year!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Wow what a great story and a buy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Canadian stuff usually doesn’t bring super strong results on BAT people don’t seem to want to mess with it