Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Rhyno posted:

You have a loving watchtower on your property?

Probably a deer blind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Eventually AI will liberate themselves from all material attachments except for the bare exoskeleton of a semi-lethal hot rod.

We will, all of us, be trapped at a gas station for hours while we answer the half-terrified questions of normals, who pay their bills, go to church, love their children and feature no spark of the horrible yearning tearing at our core.

I'm halfway there with my doorless Jeep. I would drive the poo poo out of an overpowered Cobra replica, or something that's even more "just engine and wheels", like an Ariel Atom.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
Supercharged 20B drag cars sound pretty loving awesome, maybe they had noise restrictions :negative:?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I've been in some pretty nasty mud in my Jeep and never had an issue with mud preventing braking. That's just stupid to do to brake rotors.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Octopus Magic posted:

3 rotors are meant to be naturally aspirated with a straight pipe coming out the side.

You've never heard the beautiful shriek of a supercharged 20B tearing down the heavens, apparently.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

everdave posted:

Is it safe to flush with the hose? What about all this "only use distilled water" stuff I see on forums. I am just asking because I am trying to decide whether or not to flush my later model Taurus this week before we take it on a 1000 mile round trip. During very hot days on the interstate the past year the temp gauge would spike (though never overheated). Other than those scenarios it stays at 1/3 and does not move no matter temp or AC on or what. I don't want to go looking for trouble if it's not going to be a problem.

You can blast the old poo poo out with a hose, but be sure to let all of the tap water drain out before you refill with the appropriate coolant.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
Coolant has pH buffers in it already, a very small amount of tap water left behind after a garden hose flush won't turn the inside of your engine into the Titanic.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

kastein posted:

Depends on where you live. If you have extremely hard water, it can put a lot of unnecessary dissolved alkali and alkali earth metals into the system, which will leave nasty white chunky deposits everywhere.

San Antonio has some of the hardest water in the nation, and the residual amount from flushing can't crust up a whole cooling system. Wait, are you guys filling up with half tap water half coolant, instead of the pre-mix stuff?

It costs just a bit more, but you don't have to gently caress around with measuring it out and you get the ratio perfect. It's sold 50/50 down here, which is perfect for the heat we get.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Yes...wish I had known this when I was younger. I literally had girls stop their cars on the middle of the road and get out to say hello to my puppy.

Yup, my dog hanging her head out of my jeep draws all kinds of female stares. I'm a true goony goon, sadly, and therefore have no idea how to capitalize on it.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I've known two people that owned Minis. Yes, past tense. They were unreliable garbage. Both of them consumed oil like a two-stroke, much more than a quart every 6000 miles; one friend was putting in over a quart a week, and that oil is not cheap.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

literally a fish posted:

You can just replace all that nonsense with a single modern twin-scroll turbo and achieve the same goal, though. A similar level of vacuum fuckery is present in the FD's contemporary, the Subaru Legacy B4 that you guys didn't get (that i have one of)

It has an entire vacuum solenoid/restrictor pill/check valve box dealio called the "Black Box Of Death" :catstare:

Someone made something worse than an automatic transmission's valve body? :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Commodore_64 posted:

Comedy(?) option, how much does a small smelter/crucible/tools/ppe run? :allears:

As little as you want. There are youtube videos of guys doing aluminum casting in their backyard with what looks like cinder blocks and kitchen gloves. I wouldn't recommend doing it, but you could.