Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I just wanna say that if I lived anywhere near you I would be owning an FD. Half the battle of owning a quirky car is knowing a good mechanic that can fix them, and I know for a fact there are none around here :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So he wrapped it with aluminum tape then covered it with electrical tape? :rolleye:

I'd call the dude and tell him his car took a poo poo because he's a dumbass.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Wow, a heated floor in a shop sounds awesome. I imagine you won't have to heat the empty space as much standing on a heated floor?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Uh, I don't get it. Did you kick the guy's dog or something? Why would someone slander you for no reason?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well if the guy is full of poo poo can't you sue him or at the least threaten to?

I know you said you've got plenty of business coming in, but if the guy turns slandering you into a hobby, shouldn't you do something about it? Got any friends/customers that are lawyers that could help you out?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So just to get an idea of what you're doing to this car......Is this single turbo setup more reliable and powerful than a twin turbo setup? I'm assuming even an upgraded twin setup would be close to the stock setup, correct? What are the issues with twin setups that everyone wants to get away from?

I guess i just want to know a little more about the quirks of FDs and how they are fixed....How do you make a stock FD more "reliable"?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Brigdh posted:

I'd say it depends on your level of commitment and the size of your wallet. You'll never escape reputation that you should just throw a LS in it though :)

So if you acquired a completely stock FD, what would you do to it right off the bat to "update" it? Or for instance, if a customer wanted one for a daily driver, nothing over the top, just decent power with more focus on reliability?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Wow, what a gorgeous car. I wish FD's weren't so expensive :(

Ryno you know what you need to do.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'm not a fan of the plate bumper, but if you need to put on a front plate what can you do.

Paint looks great.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I want a bone stock red on tan FD with no wing so bad. I had an opportunity a few years ago to get one cheap from a mazda shop but it had issues and I was scared. It looked perfect though and was the most gorgeous car :(

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Looks awesome I'm super jealous :3:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So have you estimated what your heating costs will be? What does that system use to heat the slab?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Interesting. I imagine you use a pump(s) to circulate the water, but how do you know how fast to circulate it to be efficient as possible? Is there some sort of thermostat that regulates the pump depending on the temp of the slab?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Jesus dude, my back hurts just looking at all the work you're doing. Nice progress.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

West SAAB Story posted:

Where the hell do you even find any generic CC, anymore? I tried Ratshack, and a few local hobbiest places. They looked at me crosseyed when I said what I needed, and what it was for. I think my favorite response was "You mean that TV cleaner stuff for things with MANUAL TUNING KNOBS?" Yeah. That'd do.

I get it at Home Depot, although I'm not sure if it's audiophile quality.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So how do the FC convertibles handle? Are they worth fixing up if had cheap?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

A CX-5 with a manual trans would be sweet, that's pretty much my dream family car, but I guess it's minivan time for me until I can afford one :(

I imagine it's got to be lacking in the power though, you should drive one and report your findings :)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'm torn between a Dodge Caravan or an E39 wagon :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

NWDub posted:

I was given a 97 base model caravan with the only options being 3.0 and air conditioning that doesnt work

It has been the most reliable, useful, boring vehicle I could ever imagine. I get 25 highway if it's just me and it's got good torque for city driving

I had a '99 in the family that got given to us by the in-laws, we had it for two years before selling it off. The only thing that was really killing it was rust, not one single problem with it ever besides one speed sensor on the trans, that's it.

I'm leaning towards getting another one because I can get an '07-'08 with ridiculously low miles in perfect condition for 5 to 6k and I wouldn't have to do anything to it but regular maintenance for 100k miles. The key is to stay away from the larger "Grand" versions with the 3.8 V6, the 3.3 V6 smaller van is the bullet proof one.

And yeah they are faster than you would think, it's a plus for sure.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 18, 2014

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Have you research those hybrids? IIRC the transmissions in them are poo poo. Might as well just get a prius and throw a roof rack/cargo box on it if you need the extra space. Might as well go full boring and reap the mpg benefits :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

the spyder posted:

I miss my 135i, but I'm looking forward to something larger. Who knows what I will end up with, I certainly can't decide one way or the other right now. (That might be the headcold I've had for the last week though.)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

parid posted:

Engine mounts bolting through the oil pan is the worst design ever.

I have a hard time imagining this, that's just crazy talk.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

the spyder posted:

Guess what I happen to have? Haha. My old work used to make fuel doors for the F22/F35 and we had to use that sealant on the captive nuts. When it expired they let us take some of it home. Awesome stuff. Thought I would never want to try and remove the pan again. lol.

Have you ever tried Hylomar? Works good for stopping CAS leaks, I dunno about an oil pan though :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

TheFonz posted:

So this is how this is going to work-
I'm going to divorce my wife.
You're going to divorce your wife.
Then we can be together, forever, happy...
happy...

Until you're asked to find a vacuum leak, or replace an oil pan gasket lol.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Pretty sure he's using the Miata that got wrecked by wet leaves for the exocet.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Um yeah, I think I'll stick to miatas. Cheaper and easier to work on.

I love in the last add how the seller says "put 5k into it and flip it for 25k!!!"

First of all, you'd have to know what you're doing, and if you do know what you're doing you're not gonna touch that with a ten foot pole. I feel sorry for the poor bastard that buys it thinking he's going to profit.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Haha. Could he do it blindfolded though, that's the question :colbert:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That sucks dude, my awesome neighbor passed away not too long ago too. She was the best neighbor ever :smith:

And just out of curiosity, has anyone ever went NA with an FD because they got sick of losing apex seals?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That's awesome.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Did you use epoxy for the anchors?

Your FD is awesome but that front plate bumper just looks wrong.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

There's probably twice as many rx8's on the road with automatics than manuals.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It will start happening very soon, you're going to see lots of rx8's on craigslist with bad motors, especially the automatics because those are the ones that had the most issues and warranty replacements. If someone comes out with a reasonably affordable swap kit for an LSx it's going to be a popular project. Would make an awesome DD.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

I'm an enabler

http://reno.craigslist.org/cto/4513074619.html

Its not common to find them under 5k but here's an example automatic with a dead engine for 2500 OBO.

Wow. Still with the full kit and motor/trans you're looking at close to 10k....But if the shell is really clean it would be totally worth it.

Could probably save a lot of money using a truck motor too, I forget which Chevy is the popular one but lots of people are going with them since the LS motors are getting expensive. But then the question would be if the kit would work or not.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ha. I bought a Miata in the dark once too and forgot my flashlight. Next day I realized I just bought a Miata with a serious case of rocker rust. Seller said it was a Florida car (in FL) so I believed him, turns out the car spent most of it's life in Ohio. God I was so pissed at myself for that.

I really need to stop following this thread because I'm super jealous of all the FD's you end up with :argh:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

After I got mine I drove it for a year then bought ToolShack's '97, swapped in all the good stuff from the rusted car which had an immaculate interior, made one giant lovely Miata out of the rusted one and sold it for a little less than what I paid for it :v:

[edit] I can't spel

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jul 1, 2014

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

How much is "way too much" by your estimate? What if there was no time limit and a reasonable budget?

My guess would be too much to make it worth his while and having a project taking up the space of a car he could be making money on.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I worked part time for a guy that ran a Miata shop for a few years and he used to "fire" his customers all the time. They would bitch and whine about pricing and he'd tell them to gently caress off and not come back, seemed to work pretty well for his business actually.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Five gallon bucket for scale :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I thought it was a lookout tower to warn of ninja invasions. Gotta protect the FD's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Wow that is super clean and a nice sound system to boot. I'd keep it if I were you, the odds of finding another one in that condition are probably pretty slim, how much did you pick it up for? Would make an awesome commuter car :)