Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

tetsman posted:

Ajaccio and Sochaux lost again, PSG and Monaco won again, eh.
The Marseille-Valenciennes game could not be played because of the rain. The game was postponed, probably until the 28 or 29 of this month, but I haven't read anything else about it. Zlatan scored yet 2 more goals during the weekend in the 5-0 against Nantes. Meanwhile, Falcao played for 69 minutes without scoring.
In other news, Verratti said he's staying in Paris. Transfer market speculation sucks anyway unless you're excited about Toivonen going to Rennes.

We need a crying Corsican flag for Ajaccio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

Gignac scores before five minutes, nice equalized the same. What a start we're off to!!

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
And both Ajaccio and Sochaux lost to Ligue 2 teams. Also, 3 goals in the first 20 minutes, whoa, that Marseille Nice game.

Method Mango
Sep 26, 2005

tetsman posted:

And both Ajaccio and Sochaux lost to Ligue 2 teams. Also, 3 goals in the first 20 minutes, whoa, that Marseille Nice game.

Make it 4.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

2-2 so far the first half. It's gonna be a total bloodbath.

Method Mango
Sep 26, 2005

3-2 Nice at the half. Hard to understand how OMs defense gets constantly shredded this season after sucking the life out of every game last year with basically the same players.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Gignac just scored an incredible goal with a scissor kick putting Marseille into a position to make this a well contested game.

Edit: that last four minutes had me on the edge of my couch screaming. Marseille lost, but what a hell of a way to lose.

Quantumfate fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 21, 2014

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

So Falcao got scanned and apparently he misses the World Cup. That loving sucks and why the gently caress was he playing against an amateur side anyways.

It's a bit strange that he was flown to Porto and the medical was done by FC Portos doctor Jose Carlos Norona

Method Mango
Sep 26, 2005

Meanwhile, at Marseille, somebody added some artwork outside OM's training complex...

"Why Adri and not José?"

Referencing the fact that OM's interim manager and sporting director José Anigo's son was shot and killed by hitmen a couple months ago in Marseille.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Can anyone tell me stuff about Sochaux's Vincent Nogueira? Apparently, he is close to joining MLS/Philadelphia. He's good, right?

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 29, 2014

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
So the league's top spots haven't changed and the league has been as exciting as watching the corpse of an animal on the road, but this Sunday PSG is traveling to Monaco for a game that may be interesting, as a victory would place Monaco just 2 points behind PSG. In other news, the Coupe de la Ligue final (next April 19) will be played by PSG and Lyon after a couple of fun matches in the semifinals.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

I'll just weigh in with my terrible American opinions and say that yeah, the Ligue has been pretty boring, even the last few OM games have been a little stale. The PSG v. Monaco game on Sunday should be something, but I'm mostly in this for OM, anything other matches tomorrow worth checking out?

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Quantumfate posted:

I'll just weigh in with my terrible American opinions and say that yeah, the Ligue has been pretty boring, even the last few OM games have been a little stale. The PSG v. Monaco game on Sunday should be something, but I'm mostly in this for OM, anything other matches tomorrow worth checking out?

Yeah, every single match I've caught this year (mostly Friday games) has been deathly dull. PSG and Monaco are locked into first and second place, not much excitement to be had other than the last CL club, either Lille or OM could take it, that might be the most interesting story until the end of this season.

So yeah, watch PSG and Monaco if you can, it'll be one of the more meaningful matches going forward, but even at that PSG should stomp Monaco.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on
French football is like watching a passionless, even more ponderous version of Italian football and it's glorious for it.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

trem_two posted:

Yeah, every single match I've caught this year (mostly Friday games) has been deathly dull. PSG and Monaco are locked into first and second place, not much excitement to be had other than the last CL club, either Lille or OM could take it, that might be the most interesting story until the end of this season.

So yeah, watch PSG and Monaco if you can, it'll be one of the more meaningful matches going forward, but even at that PSG should stomp Monaco.

Yeah, Falcao going out pretty much killed any possible suspense for this season. Hopefully Rybolovlev goes on another spending spree and the league is somewhat competitive next year, which is a pretty depressing thing to hope for.

Method Mango
Sep 26, 2005

If you're looking for a team besides the top ones that might have interesting matches, you could try Montpellier. They've been on a good run lately, and their best young player (on loan from AC Milan) is currently attempting to break every traffic law in France.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Method Mango posted:

If you're looking for a team besides the top ones that might have interesting matches, you could try Montpellier. They've been on a good run lately, and their best young player (on loan from AC Milan) is currently attempting to break every traffic law in France.

Cool-I'm a know nothing plastic but I've always kinda liked Lyon, I'll try to catch some of their games.

Also, the cashico is on now and gently caress BEin and gently caress Barcelona.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
This is pretty entertaining so far.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
The goal was pretty jammy, but PSG were comfortably the better side in the first half. Pastore was quite good.

E: looks like I'm wrong, owned me

trem_two fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 9, 2014

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Wow, Thiago Silva own goal to bring things level.

E: pretty decent game, both keepers made immense saves in the last couple of minutes to keep things level

trem_two fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 9, 2014

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

That ibrahimovic attempt in the last few minutes was intense. A good game all told, more entertaining than anything yesterday

The SituAsian posted:

Cool-I'm a know nothing plastic but I've always kinda liked Lyon, I'll try to catch some of their games.

Likewise, I'm pretty plastic, but I'll try to follow montpellier as well as OM, worth giving it a shot.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
The late match today is of significance for the CL/EL spots, Saint Etienne vs. Marseille. Saint Etienne can pull within a point of Lille for the last CL spot with a win, Marseille would jump Lyon and Saint Etienne into 4th place, the only EL spot awarded for league position.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
How has Cabaye been doing for PSG?

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

Scott Bakula posted:

How has Cabaye been doing for PSG?

I listened to the PSG - Valenciennes game on the radio on Friday, the announcers were praising him. Prior to that he'd only had two 20 minute sub appearances.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision
:qq: Cabaye...

CHIVERS
Apr 28, 2004

c'est quand meme la honte
Big game for Les Verts, this. The past couple of years, they usually lose these clashes. I feel like they can finally break through to CL football this year.

CHIVERS
Apr 28, 2004

c'est quand meme la honte
Woof! Just scraped by with a draw. Last minute heroics from Brandao. Monaco and PSG are coming up, these next few weeks are going to be huge.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Thiago Motta signed a two year extension through 2016. His contract was set to run out this summer, and he had been mentioned as a possible target this coming transfer window for a few Italian clubs since PSG have about 50 midfielders.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

trem_two posted:

Thiago Motta signed a two year extension through 2016. His contract was set to run out this summer, and he had been mentioned as a possible target this coming transfer window for a few Italian clubs since PSG have about 50 midfielders.

He still plays pretty regularly right? I think he must be because he's on a lot of Prandelli's lists for possible world cup players.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

Gigi Galli posted:

He still plays pretty regularly right? I think he must be because he's on a lot of Prandelli's lists for possible world cup players.

Yeah of their midfielders, only Matuidi has played more minutes.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Are the French clubs allowed to give youth players a professional contract like England is?
I'm mainly asking because I was just wondering about PSGs longterm plans re:youth talents. I guess they would go down the Man City route and pick the best prospects from others clubs if possible, but the French youth system is a bit strange as I think its one of the only countries that have centralized a lot of it's youth development into elite academies like Clairefontaine?

Speaking of which, how does the elite academies work? Is there like a draft system to get the best talents?

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

Hegav posted:

Are the French clubs allowed to give youth players a professional contract like England is?

To that question I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, because I remember it was a sort of a big deal when Rabiot signed a professional contract with PSG when he was like 16 or 17.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision
Hegav the french academies are regional, so the best players from various regions go to the elite academies and the ones who aren't so good join up the club academies like normal.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

trem_two posted:

To that question I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, because I remember it was a sort of a big deal when Rabiot signed a professional contract with PSG when he was like 16 or 17.

Ok, cheers!

Ho Chi Meeeeee posted:

Hegav the french academies are regional, so the best players from various regions go to the elite academies and the ones who aren't so good join up the club academies like normal.

So they join the academies already tied to a club?

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

Hegav posted:

Ok, cheers!

So they join the academies already tied to a club?

The academies are only until they are like 16 or whatever.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Ho Chi Meeeeee posted:

The academies are only until they are like 16 or whatever.

Yeah but in modern football talents are picked up at the age of 10 or so, but I guess the clubs are allowed to negotiate with them before the academies release em.

Method Mango
Sep 26, 2005

Bumping this thread for PSG-OM which just got started. OM already did something ridiculously stupid on defense that almost cost them a goal. If PSG wins, it'll pretty much put the championship away since Monaco lost yesterday.

Method Mango
Sep 26, 2005

This gif is a good metaphor for Ligue 1, except for the ending:

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
FIFA has given Nantes a transfer ban until June 2015, they were charged with causing Ismael Bangoura to break his contract with Al Nasr in 2012 in order to move to Nantes.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11825/9200991/ligue-1-nantes-must-observe-a-16-month-transfer-embargo-after-appeal-fails

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

trem_two posted:

FIFA has given Nantes a transfer ban until June 2015, they were charged with causing Ismael Bangoura to break his contract with Al Nasr in 2012 in order to move to Nantes.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11825/9200991/ligue-1-nantes-must-observe-a-16-month-transfer-embargo-after-appeal-fails

What does this actually do? I thought I heard before there was a litany of workarounds for this.

• Locked thread