Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Sandwolf posted:

What does this actually do? I thought I heard before there was a litany of workarounds for this.

They can sell players, but not sign any senior team players until the transfer window opens in June 2015.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

trem_two posted:

They can sell players, but not sign any senior team players until the transfer window opens in June 2015.

This is going to cripple them isn't it? A big club can probably survive just fine on their good players and whatever ten thousand youth players they own (Chelsea) but a mid or lower table side without a chance to improve is really hosed.

This must put an enormous amount of pressure on the manager, now that I think about it.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

Gigi Galli posted:

This is going to cripple them isn't it? A big club can probably survive just fine on their good players and whatever ten thousand youth players they own (Chelsea) but a mid or lower table side without a chance to improve is really hosed.

This must put an enormous amount of pressure on the manager, now that I think about it.

Yeah, definitely. Even if they stay up this year, they'd have to be an overwhelming favorite to go down next season.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
Nantes couldn't even beat Ajaccio, and their next matches are Lille, Montpellier, Bordeaux and Monaco, so I can see them dropping enough points throughout the rest of the season to end up down there with Ajaccio. The race to the bottom is, as usual, more interesting than the title race.

Method Mango
Sep 26, 2005

Nantes is also the team that lost 3 points because they used an ineligible player during their first match of the year. So that gives a good idea of how well the team is run.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Too bad Gignac is so slow (fat). He's got good technique and instincts, he could be so much better if he had more athleticism.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Ray Hudson on color for PSG-St Etienne :allears:

EDIT: RAY Hudson :doh:

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
The existence of Zlatan is patently unfair.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
Tonight is a great night. Because tonight is the final of the Coupe de la Ligue!

PSG and OL will (hopefully) provide a (possibly) fun game to watch. After a lackluster season, Lyon will have one final chance at some silverware, while PSG, after their Champions League defeat, will try to raise their morale to finish the season on a stronger note after outperforming Monaco by 10 points.
PSG will play a 4-3-3 without Zlatan (injured), while Lyon will play a 4-4-2 with all the bad players, no Gourcuff nor Grenier, both injured as well.

Sit back, relax and enjoy the purest manifestation of the death of football.

Edit: It took Cavani only 4 mins to score. Uh.

advanced statsman fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 19, 2014

Method Mango
Sep 26, 2005

It was a fun three minutes.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

tetsman posted:

Sit back, relax and enjoy the purest manifestation of the death of football.

Surely Monaco would have to be involved for this to be true.

This is actually on tv in the USA by the way.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Cavani is wasted in the same frontline as Ibra and Lavezzi and but PSG really has no reason to sell him

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Gigi Galli posted:

Surely Monaco would have to be involved for this to be true.

This is actually on tv in the USA by the way.

They couldn't even beat Reims, they don't deserve that spot!!

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
rip football

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

tetsman posted:

rip football

we did it, everybody

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A man running from a tornado, a solid graphic for the Cup,

Luminaz
Mar 9, 2013

oops !
There was no suspense at all for the championship this year.
Except that the season's end is a total fail for the PSG.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

PSG wins the title if they win or draw this weekend right? They look to be in the exact position Juventus is in w/r/t Roma.

Luminaz
Mar 9, 2013

oops !

Gigi Galli posted:

PSG wins the title if they win or draw this weekend right? They look to be in the exact position Juventus is in w/r/t Roma.

Exactly, but they could have won it last week, versus a little team ...

Method Mango
Sep 26, 2005

PSG doesn't play until Wednesday since their opponent for this week (Rennes) is playing Guingamp in the final of the French Cup tomorrow. Guingamp is also Monaco's opponent this week, so their game is also pushed back to Wednesday, although it will end as PSG's match starts. That means if Monaco doesn't win, PSG will be champion before they kick off. However, if Monaco wins then PSG will have to win to "officially" be champion, because right now they're 8 points up with 3 matches left. If they draw and Monaco wins then they'll be 6 up with 2 matches left, but with a 25 goal differential cushion right now. All this is a lot of words to say that yeah, PSG is champion if they win or draw on Wednesday, but it won't be official if they draw.

Those matches also matter for relegation, since Sochaux (who drew PSG last week) are trying to catch either Guingamp, Evian, or maybe Rennes. Ajaccio is already out, and Valenciennes is as good as out.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Method Mango posted:

PSG doesn't play until Wednesday since their opponent for this week (Rennes) is playing Guingamp in the final of the French Cup tomorrow. Guingamp is also Monaco's opponent this week, so their game is also pushed back to Wednesday, although it will end as PSG's match starts. That means if Monaco doesn't win, PSG will be champion before they kick off. However, if Monaco wins then PSG will have to win to "officially" be champion, because right now they're 8 points up with 3 matches left. If they draw and Monaco wins then they'll be 6 up with 2 matches left, but with a 25 goal differential cushion right now. All this is a lot of words to say that yeah, PSG is champion if they win or draw on Wednesday, but it won't be official if they draw.

Those matches also matter for relegation, since Sochaux (who drew PSG last week) are trying to catch either Guingamp, Evian, or maybe Rennes. Ajaccio is already out, and Valenciennes is as good as out.

I think I've asked this before but is the first tie breaker in France head to head results? I find that to be a much better metric than who managed to score 20 goals against bottom of the table sides.

Now that I think about it, it's the same for Juve. If they draw then they'll have to draw or defeat Roma in the next match for it to be official. It wont happen as they'll win, but weirder things have happened.

Method Mango
Sep 26, 2005

Gigi Galli posted:

I think I've asked this before but is the first tie breaker in France head to head results? I find that to be a much better metric than who managed to score 20 goals against bottom of the table sides.

Now that I think about it, it's the same for Juve. If they draw then they'll have to draw or defeat Roma in the next match for it to be official. It wont happen as they'll win, but weirder things have happened.

Yeah I thought about mentioning that since it's based on head to head in Italy right? In France the first tie breaker is total goal differential.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Method Mango posted:

Yeah I thought about mentioning that since it's based on head to head in Italy right? In France the first tie breaker is total goal differential.

Yup, it makes for some nasty relegation/playoff/playout scenarios in the lower leagues all the time.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
Forgot to post it, but Bielsa has been appointed as Marseille's new manager. Tasty news!

http://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Actualites/-avec-bielsa-je-fais-la-revolution/461775

Method Mango
Sep 26, 2005

Gigi Galli posted:

Yup, it makes for some nasty relegation/playoff/playout scenarios in the lower leagues all the time.

I always like looking down the list to see how stupid the tiebreakers can get. In Ligue 1's case, that means a team can win the league because they got carded less than another team.

tetsman posted:

Forgot to post it, but Bielsa has been appointed as Marseille's new manager. Tasty news!

http://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Actualites/-avec-bielsa-je-fais-la-revolution/461775

If they have a bad start to next year, then it has a chance to all go poo poo really quick since it'll be seen as proof that his system will never work with the players they have, but aside from that it defnitely seems like a better hire than they could have hoped for.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

I hope Bielsa does well because I like his style, but can Marseille really hope to compete with Monaco and PSG? Hopefully they can be like Atletico in Spain this year but I feel the gap might be even more absurd in France now.

Method Mango
Sep 26, 2005

Gigi Galli posted:

I hope Bielsa does well because I like his style, but can Marseille really hope to compete with Monaco and PSG? Hopefully they can be like Atletico in Spain this year but I feel the gap might be even more absurd in France now.

I think you're right that 3rd is definitely their realistic ceiling right now as long as PSG and Monaco stay what they are right now. OM has their history as the most popular French team, which could both work in their favor and hurt them. They advertised themselves as becoming the French Dortmund at the beginning of last year, which the fans eat up without realizing that Dortmund doesn't always compete for the title, and that the teams with a ton of money will win out on average. Hopefully Bielsa will make them fun to watch even if they're bad though.

Anyway, OM and Lyon play in about half an hour. If OM wins they will still have a chance to overtake Lyon for the last spot in the Europa league, and if they lose they will immediately start telling anyone who listens that they didn't want to play in the Europa league anyway.

CHIVERS
Apr 28, 2004

c'est quand meme la honte
Another solid season for St. Etienne, no matter what happens these next 2 games. They'll have 4th locked up with another win or draw, finishing above hated OL for the first time since Mitterand. Europa League is also assured (lol French teams in Europa League, so that'll be 3 and out) with a miniscule chance at leapfrogging Lille for the third spot and CL qualification. Some fantastic seasons from Hamouma and Perrin, who have some pundits pushing for their inclusion in the French squad. However, they're once again looking at a shitload of departures this summer including possibly Galtier, which would be a massive blow since he's fine-tuned this team to really play above their level.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Did the PSG game happen after the Monaco draw or did they actually lose to Rennes while trying?

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009

Gigi Galli posted:

Did the PSG game happen after the Monaco draw or did they actually lose to Rennes while trying?

It was after.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Marvin Martin apparently destroyed Cabaye's leg on a tackle, and the injury looks like it might be serious, they took him straight to the hospital. Too early to know anything conclusive, but you have to wonder if he'll miss the World Cup.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

trem_two posted:

Marvin Martin apparently destroyed Cabaye's leg on a tackle, and the injury looks like it might be serious, they took him straight to the hospital. Too early to know anything conclusive, but you have to wonder if he'll miss the World Cup.

Martin really wanted Cabaye's spot :tinfoil:

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
26 goals, injuries, Guingamp stays and stuff, but it's Eurovision night so wtv

CHIVERS
Apr 28, 2004

c'est quand meme la honte
Cabaye will be fine and Sté will be playing for the champions league next week :)

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Bordeaux's owners have said that they're in negotiations with Zidane to have him take over as head coach.

http://as.com/diarioas/2014/05/20/english/1400537339_912693.html

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
Season's over, it was predictable and boring. Yawn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J68czsmGx7o

PSG won the league with a 9 point difference, Monaco did ok despite not counting with Falcao, Lille will get some Champions League action, while Saint-Étienne, Lyon and (lol) Guingamp will get Europa League football. Evian managed to stay up after outclassing Sochaux, who got relegated together with Valenciennes and Ajaccio.
Next season, Lens, Metz and Caen will rejoin the Ligue 1 only to get owned by the richer teams.

Hopefully next season will be more of a contest. Whatever.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Thats a lot of butts

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

I think Monaco did more than OK going straight from Ligue 2 to 2nd place. Will be interesting to see what happens to em now that the owner has lost half his fortune

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Hegay posted:

I think Monaco did more than OK going straight from Ligue 2 to 2nd place. Will be interesting to see what happens to em now that the owner has lost half his fortune

Yeah I think so too. Expectations were unrealistic for the most part, but I'd image they'll be more competitive next season provided Rybolovlev doesn't gently caress off. I'm excited about Marseille with Bielsa, but it's hard to say what will happen next season. It will probably be another snorefest again, but who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Ranieri is no longer the Monaco manager. I can see quite a few managers being interested in the job though

• Locked thread