Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Method Mango
Sep 26, 2005

It's weird how every Ligue 1 team decided to make their jerseys look worse this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Method Mango
Sep 26, 2005

Spangly A posted:

Someone please explain to me how the gently caress you keep Lavezzi, Cavani, Zlatan, Pastore and Lucas all happy and playing.

Especially since Lavezzi is arguably their most important player, being the only bugger that tracks back properly while still offering a threat.

I'd bet PSG will keep them happy by dropping a dump truck full of money on top of their heads whenever they talk about wanting to leave.

Also for anyone who can read a little French, here's a guide for which team you should root for against PSG: http://www.rue89.com/rue89-sport/2013/08/10/test-quelle-equipe-ligue-1-devez-supporter-cette-annee-244847

Method Mango
Sep 26, 2005

3peat posted:

Whether they win or not today Monaco looked quite poo poo, just like PSG yesterday. It's gonna be so funny if after these 2 spent a gazillion euros on overpriced idiots, OM comes from nowhere and wins the title

On the other hand, PSG was garbage at the beginning of last year and they ended up running away with it, so I wouldn't get too excited yet.

Method Mango
Sep 26, 2005

Bastia has also filed a complaint that Nantes subbed in a player that should have been suspended for yellow card accumulation from last year. It's not totally clear that he was definitely ineligible though since the cards came on their youth team and in the amateur league (and not Ligue 2). Nantes won the match though so I'm hoping he was ineligible, since it would be funnier.

Method Mango
Sep 26, 2005

Very cool goal by Gignac for Marseille against the yoghurt team, in case any one still wants to watch this league now that the Premier League has started.

Method Mango
Sep 26, 2005

OM's awful defense this year is definitely going to make them more exciting to watch than last year. They haven't looked bad overall but they've definitely been lucky to play pretty bad teams so far.

Method Mango
Sep 26, 2005

trem_two posted:

It was punishment for their supporters' behavior in the final game of last season against Lyon.

E: VV oh, I had read last year, serves me right for counting on Google translated stories in French

Not that it really makes a difference, but you're right, it was for the Nice - Lyon game from last year and not the one from last week. I don't remember it, but they set off fireworks and threw a bottle full of sand at the Lyon bench I guess. A team's supporters could set off a nuclear bomb and the LFP probably wouldn't react fast enough to sanction the team the next week.

Method Mango
Sep 26, 2005

Looks like PSG needs to buy someone who can score some goals.

Method Mango
Sep 26, 2005

OM won again today by boring their opponent to death before scoring 1 goal at the end, just like last year. They looked cool as hell in their fake denim though imo

Method Mango fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 24, 2013

Method Mango
Sep 26, 2005

tetsman posted:

What a dull loving game. Guingamp put up a good fight and Blanc's tactics were for the most part just stupid. It's painful to watch a team with such players being so loving boring and crap.

PSG was boring as gently caress last year too though. It's not really a surprise that they win as a counter attack team that has better players than anyone they play against, especially Guingamp.

Method Mango
Sep 26, 2005

Mendes has pretty much been the most important player on all the goals.

Method Mango
Sep 26, 2005

PSGs players might all be tired from the international matches. Bordeaux is lucky that all their own players are bad, so they don't have that problem.

Method Mango
Sep 26, 2005

Marseille-Toulouse is on now. Thauvin and his stupid haircut and bad attitude is making his debut for OM. Toulouse has had two great chances with one good save by Mandanda and one headed away at the line.

Method Mango
Sep 26, 2005

OM's Champions League group must be terrified now

Method Mango
Sep 26, 2005

Sochaux's coach is apparently about to resign after they managed to give up 5 goals to Guingamp today

Method Mango
Sep 26, 2005

Gigi Galli posted:

I was about to complain that oil money teams grinding out 1-0 wins is shameful but I guess 2-0 will do.

Luckily they had enough oil money left over to buy a penalty and a bogus offside call on Toulouse's goal

Method Mango
Sep 26, 2005

tetsman posted:

Nantes won the derby and that last goal was pretty cool imo.

I agree op. Teams need to figure out how to do that on purpose.

Method Mango
Sep 26, 2005

The 2nd half of the predatory capitalist's team just started in case anyone wants to watch. It's been a fun game so far and in this posters opinion, this team is a lot more exciting than the one supported by the oppresive monarchy.

Method Mango
Sep 26, 2005

Hegav posted:

Ligue 1 seems allergic to goals.

If you don't care about any of the teams playing, it's nice to watch the multiplex because it tricks you into thinking something exciting is happening when you're watching 5 games at once.

Method Mango
Sep 26, 2005

Gigi Galli posted:

So I just read in the Gazzetta that Menez and Blanc aren't getting along and that he might leave if the team lets him. Has he played much at all this season? He was so good for Roma and I'd love to see him back in Serie A.

He hasn't played much and he left PSG's last Champions League match early because he was mad Blanc subbed in Lucas instead of him. He's not traveling with the team for their match against Marseille this weekend.

Method Mango
Sep 26, 2005

The SituAsian posted:

Thiago Motta just gave up a penalty and got red carded

The ref has given 17 red cards in his last 25 Ligue 1 games (more than anyone else). To be honest, Marseille needs it.

edit: Maxwell equalizes. That didn't take long

Method Mango fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 6, 2013

Method Mango
Sep 26, 2005

Haha, he carded both Ibrahimovic and Cavani as they where being subbed off. PSG deserves to beat OM with how they played, but the reffing has been insane.

edit: And it's over. Like I said PSG deserved the win so in the end it didn't effect the result, but the ref was completely ridiculous. Eight cards total (1 red) and 2 penalties (although they were both reasonable). OM unfortunately looks a level below PSG and Monaco. Valbeuna's highlight real this year has been a bunch of near goals.

Method Mango fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 6, 2013

Method Mango
Sep 26, 2005

tetsman posted:

And game over. Ospina was enormous, really good stuff.

3rd loss in a row for Marseille if you count Dortmund, and 4th in a row if you're smart and already count next week's game against Napoli as a loss. Also everyone needs to watch the games this weekend because the team presidents might go on strike next weekend due to the 75% tax on salaries over 1 million euros that the French government is trying to put through.

English link: http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1585479/ligue-1-clubs-consider-strike-action?cc=5901

If a league that no one watches goes on strike, does it make a sound?

Method Mango
Sep 26, 2005

tetsman posted:

gently caress that's a lot of blood

Pretty rough to get red carded for getting elbowed in the head

Method Mango
Sep 26, 2005

They actually won't be on "strike" until the last weekend of November. What happened today is they decided to go forward with their planned stike after the team presidents met with Hollande and didn't get an exception on the 75% tax on salaries over 1 million euros that he's trying create. They had already voted to do that last week, and basically at this point since it's still a month away, both sides are just calling each other's bluff. It's not even really a strike, it's just going to be a weekend where they don't play and they'll make it up later (and it's only planned for that weekend).

And Scott Bakula is right, the tax doesn't affect Monaco (unless the league forces them to move their headquarters into France which they've been threatening to do). Gigi Galli is right though in that some team presidents have already made it sound like they think the strike is stupid.

Method Mango
Sep 26, 2005

Hegav posted:

Yeah, but there's no way French clubs will be able to attract or hold on to their talent any more.

Yeah, I just wanted to point out that it's not a normal strike that would go on until they reach an agreement. It has a start and end date.

Method Mango
Sep 26, 2005

Nice's keeper just got hurt and the guy that replaced him was born in 1996...

Method Mango
Sep 26, 2005

They decided that they're not going to have the strike at the end of the month, although they're still acting like they might have it later on.

I couldn't find anything in English: http://www.sofoot.com/les-presidents-reportent-la-greve-177417.html

Method Mango
Sep 26, 2005

The yogurt squad goes up 1-0 against PSG at the 75th minute. Trying to give PSG their first loss of the season. I'd say PSG has been pretty easily in control of the game, but they've been giving up a lot of dangerous counters.

Edit: And PSG loses after giving up a second, their first loss in 36 matches.

Here's the standings since they haven't been posted in a while.

Method Mango fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 4, 2013

Method Mango
Sep 26, 2005

Pretty big coaching change today, with Elie Baup getting fired from Marseille after they lost to Nantes yesterday (and will likely finish with no points in the Champions League). Two of OM's best players are hurt for a month (Valbuena and Andre Ayew), so it's not looking good for them either way.

Method Mango
Sep 26, 2005

That seems like paranoia but at the same time makes too much sense.

Method Mango
Sep 26, 2005

tetsman posted:

And both Ajaccio and Sochaux lost to Ligue 2 teams. Also, 3 goals in the first 20 minutes, whoa, that Marseille Nice game.

Make it 4.

Method Mango
Sep 26, 2005

3-2 Nice at the half. Hard to understand how OMs defense gets constantly shredded this season after sucking the life out of every game last year with basically the same players.

Method Mango
Sep 26, 2005

Meanwhile, at Marseille, somebody added some artwork outside OM's training complex...

"Why Adri and not José?"

Referencing the fact that OM's interim manager and sporting director José Anigo's son was shot and killed by hitmen a couple months ago in Marseille.

Method Mango
Sep 26, 2005

If you're looking for a team besides the top ones that might have interesting matches, you could try Montpellier. They've been on a good run lately, and their best young player (on loan from AC Milan) is currently attempting to break every traffic law in France.

Method Mango
Sep 26, 2005

Bumping this thread for PSG-OM which just got started. OM already did something ridiculously stupid on defense that almost cost them a goal. If PSG wins, it'll pretty much put the championship away since Monaco lost yesterday.

Method Mango
Sep 26, 2005

This gif is a good metaphor for Ligue 1, except for the ending:

Method Mango
Sep 26, 2005

Nantes is also the team that lost 3 points because they used an ineligible player during their first match of the year. So that gives a good idea of how well the team is run.

Method Mango
Sep 26, 2005

It was a fun three minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Method Mango
Sep 26, 2005

PSG doesn't play until Wednesday since their opponent for this week (Rennes) is playing Guingamp in the final of the French Cup tomorrow. Guingamp is also Monaco's opponent this week, so their game is also pushed back to Wednesday, although it will end as PSG's match starts. That means if Monaco doesn't win, PSG will be champion before they kick off. However, if Monaco wins then PSG will have to win to "officially" be champion, because right now they're 8 points up with 3 matches left. If they draw and Monaco wins then they'll be 6 up with 2 matches left, but with a 25 goal differential cushion right now. All this is a lot of words to say that yeah, PSG is champion if they win or draw on Wednesday, but it won't be official if they draw.

Those matches also matter for relegation, since Sochaux (who drew PSG last week) are trying to catch either Guingamp, Evian, or maybe Rennes. Ajaccio is already out, and Valenciennes is as good as out.

• Locked thread