Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Cooked Auto posted:

You know what, not sure if getting a new Line developer for the franchise is going to help if that's what they're going with.

That was exactly my thinking as well.

:negative:

Maybe just blow it all up and let Pegasus Publishing rebuild it from scratch, idk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Yeah screw that, I will be ignoring it. A big-bad from beyond shadow manipulating everything isn't what a cyberpunk setting needs.

My major campaign theme has always been that this age of magic the dragons and immortals are all freaked out because things are going wrong, but the root cause is humanity. Our technology, and lately with what social media has turned in to technology's impact on human emotions/psyche, is polluting the other planes of existence now that they're interacting with this one and all the horrors are waking up earlier and stronger.

Much more fitting than trying to X-Files magic energy.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I like the idea of the Totems being a result of that "pollution": the Great Ghost Dance was kickstarted too soon, too many people accepted it as evidence for the reality and power of the shamanistic power. Instead of the Passions (with their whole structure, ideology, and baggage) we got simplistic Animals when magic returned.

The Horror(s) that planned this, thought this would weaken humanity, but instead it empowered them (because spellcasters had more freedoms). Add to this all the splinters and other faiths that suddenly had "Totems" and the plan just backfired.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Oof. I get they can't use the Horrors anymore but that's what they went with?

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

madoka magica is canon in shadowrun now lol

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
So, are you supposed to be doing anything about these magic parasite demon things, or are they just metaplot stuff?

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

do another harlequin campaign i promise it'll be funny

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Doctor Yiff posted:

do another harlequin campaign i promise it'll be funny

This time, it will work.

(No, not the player actions in the campaign — that will always fail — I mean the concept and design.)

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Dawgstar posted:

Oof. I get they can't use the Horrors anymore but that's what they went with?

It's not like FASA corp is far away or expensive. They could have just called and asked.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Shadowrun doesn't want or need "big magical looming apocalyptic magic threat". It worked well in Earthdawn because it was an epic fantasy/sometimes horror game. Shadowrun was always at its best when the plots revolved around people not giving a flying frag about their fellow (meta)humans. Though there were magical beasties, they never really fit the role they did in other TTRPGs, since shadowrun never handled big fights against epic bosses well.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I like how this thread is higher rated than the chat thread, despite most of us not liking the modern system

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Cooked Auto posted:

You know what, not sure if getting a new Line developer for the franchise is going to help if that's what they're going with.

I feel like the line really needs a reboot at this point.

bird food bathtub posted:

Yeah screw that, I will be ignoring it. A big-bad from beyond shadow manipulating everything isn't what a cyberpunk setting needs.
Yeah it's cyberpunk. The main group manipulating everything are the megacorps, and they're right there in the open going "yeah? what you gonna do about it loser?"

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!

Cooked Auto posted:

His name is all over the credits of this thing too. He's hardly going to pump the brakes on it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Everything Counts posted:

His name is all over the credits of this thing too. He's hardly going to pump the brakes on it.

I feel like the line really needs to be sold entirely to that one germany company (Pegasus?) and a reboot at this point.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Zereth posted:

I feel like the line really needs to be sold entirely to that one germany company (Pegasus?) and a reboot at this point.

Roll back to 3E and release Shadowrun edition 3B.
Then translate it into English.

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021

Finster Dexter posted:

Apparently, the Disians straight up clowned Lofwyr. He wasn't prepared, didn't see it coming, has no idea what to do, isn't doing anything at all really, and S-K is deciding to be reactive. Lofwyr will "wait and see" what happens or something.

Read that as "Cloned Lofwyr" at first!

Universal Brotherhood made it clear, nearly textual, that the bugs were a problem Shadowrunners would have to deal with, other institutions already being infiltrated. Was there anything to that effect here? Are any of the big NPCs spreading the word down about this, with a warning or a bounty on the "Devices?" Anything to make this heretofore unrevealed threat player facing at all?

Edit: And how does it work that more than one company is in on this? I can imagine a megacorp doing all sorts of terrible things for mysterious beings in exchange for power/tech/knowledge... but not sharing that with a rival corporation. They're all spying on each other and each knows how making the device works and its impact on things, so it'd be hard to keep that a secret forever.

Wheeljack fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Dec 8, 2023

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Wheeljack posted:

Edit: And how does it work that more than one company is in on this? I can imagine a megacorp doing all sorts of terrible things for mysterious beings in exchange for power/tech/knowledge... but not sharing that with a rival corporation. They're all spying on each other and each knows how making the device works and its impact on things, so it'd be hard to keep that a secret forever.

I assume the Alien Weirdos just want a lot of them made and contacted/infiltrated multiple megacorps separately.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Wheeljack posted:

Universal Brotherhood made it clear, nearly textual, that the bugs were a problem Shadowrunners would have to deal with, other institutions already being infiltrated. Was there anything to that effect here? Are any of the big NPCs spreading the word down about this, with a warning or a bounty on the "Devices?" Anything to make this heretofore unrevealed threat player facing at all?

There's a big chunk of the book that is plot hooks and some adventure frameworks. I gave up on the book before getting to any of that, though. So I imagine the answers are there, but I have no faith that any of that is going to be any more "authentic Shadowrun" than the fluff parts I read through.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Zereth posted:

Pegasus is the name most often menionted, since they still seem to care about the game. I wouldn't mind anyone as long as they actually gave a poo poo and understood basic game mechanics and tone.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

From what I have seen of their stuff, at least their equipment books knocks the CGL ones out of the water in terms of quality. Not to mention they've written several lore books about Shadowrun Germany as well. Sadly my German is awful so can't really read them properly, like most of my translation of the State of the Art ADL book was just run through google translate.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Pegasus is the name most often menionted, since they still seem to care about the game. I wouldn't mind anyone as long as they actually gave a poo poo and understood basic game mechanics and tone.

Yeah, but they're an established group who have a track record of doing just that.

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

i was looking at my shadowrun duels figs the other day and was overcome by sadness. anyway cya

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I can't find a Shadowrun group in my area at all and it bums me out. Living in the rear end crack of nowhere sucks. I'd like to play again, but doing the not-Discord version of playing RPGs doesn't do it for me.

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

My current Shadowrun campaign has Aztechnology (as well as the Path of the Sun) being controlled by servants of the Horrors as part of a plan for them to return ahead of schedule, with "they won't turn good, they'll just do normal megacorp evil instead of magical apocalypse evil" being the result of the plans failing and the Horrors losing their ability to influence Aztechnology.

I like it as a way to justify why that corp is the way they are while also framing the Path as an all-but-literal colonization of the original Aztec faith, but there's no way I'd extend that scheme to the rest of the world. Cosmic horror can be a fun sidetrip for the setting, but a single overarching villain for the entire world doesn't work if you want to maintain the "corporations constantly backstabbing one another while ordinary people are crushed underfoot" thing that makes the adventures work.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Pikavangelist posted:

My current Shadowrun campaign has Aztechnology (as well as the Path of the Sun) being controlled by servants of the Horrors as part of a plan for them to return ahead of schedule, with "they won't turn good, they'll just do normal megacorp evil instead of magical apocalypse evil" being the result of the plans failing and the Horrors losing their ability to influence Aztechnology.

I like it as a way to justify why that corp is the way they are while also framing the Path as an all-but-literal colonization of the original Aztec faith, but there's no way I'd extend that scheme to the rest of the world. Cosmic horror can be a fun sidetrip for the setting, but a single overarching villain for the entire world doesn't work if you want to maintain the "corporations constantly backstabbing one another while ordinary people are crushed underfoot" thing that makes the adventures work.

Maybe don't look at any of the published metaplot stuff currently coming out. :shepface:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Never a bad idea. I feel most people make their own plots and place them in their own settings (not berlin/seattle) just so they don’t have to deal with the world knowledge.

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

Finster Dexter posted:

Maybe don't look at any of the published metaplot stuff currently coming out. :shepface:

Being exposed to it in this thread was what led me to make the post I did.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

So I am re-assembling my Shadowrun group after a forced break of four years since COVID forced us to stop and me being sick for ages. During preparation, one of our players started to generate visualizations of his character, important locations etc. using a sophisticated AI tool he uses at work (he works in the university as an engineer and designs and produces machine parts, for which the AI does the calculation and design ground work) and instead of the usual stuff, he fed it with details about his character. I asked him to do some important NPCs for me the same way and the results are amazing.
One of the pictures I took as a basis and started to add things by hand drawing on my tablet. Suddenly I found myself drawing him sun glasses that never were planned, and well, now he got a vacation photo that I'll make my group find in a hotel room or something as a hint that this guy is in town.

It's a blood shaman from Aztlan, originally working for Aztechnology and everything, he has a rich backstory with my group and is a returning character for years and he'll be doing a surprise comeback in the new campaign we are playing in Shadowrun 6th Edition this time.

Luckily, I am native German and thus have access to the amazing, ground breaking books of Pegasus, as well as the German-only publications that Pegasus produced, so that we are free from the idiotic mess that CGL produced and instead have a very well balanced, well written world and rules that Pegasus fixed from the ground up. They have a big collection of "totally optional alternative rules" added in their German-only publications, that simply work as a replacement for the broken rear end lovely rules CGL partially produced for 6th Edition. I'm very thankful for Pegasus' support here, I even was in personal contact with their support and had some of their authors help me get an idea of how to properly play 6th edition now with the fixed ruleset, as the customer service is very friendly, helpful and extremely invested into Shadowrun.
I'm very excited to finally play all the new stuff! We will be running a campaign written by Pegasus and individualized for my group by me, happening in Berlin of 2081, with many cool new features, rules and exciting meta events happening all over. My entire group is very excited and invested and I can't wait to get started and show them more of our partially AI generated, partially hand-drawn characters!

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Must be great having a version of Shadowrun that doesn't suck poo poo from an rear end and make people want to actively deny its existence.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Goons Are Gifts posted:

One of the pictures I took as a basis and started to add things by hand drawing on my tablet. Suddenly I found myself drawing him sun glasses that never were planned, and well, now he got a vacation photo that I'll make my group find in a hotel room or something as a hint that this guy is in town.

Or you can have them use that as his matrix persona/background and he's more of a dweeb in person.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

drat, I wish I had the pegasus stuff.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Or you can have them use that as his matrix persona/background and he's more of a dweeb in person.

Also a great idea!

wiegieman posted:

drat, I wish I had the pegasus stuff.

There so much of it now, by now we have like more than twice as many books in German than CGL even bothered to write. Alongside specific stuff for the ADL (Allianz Deutscher Länder, Alliance of German States, the Germany in Shadowrun) there are I think currently at least 15 German-only source books they made from the ground up. Since CGL not just did not tell them about their plans at all when 6th Edition was announced and in general does not really, you know, seem to be capable of working together with... anyone, Pegasus just went ahead and accepted that, fulfilled their contrary obligations of translating and even translocating the few rule books CGL does do and just publish more and more and more additional books for world building, details and everything.
Unironically, the Alliance of German States, the details about corporations and the entire current events meta universe (as everything they publish is considered officially canon) has more source material by Pegasus now than all campaigns, source books and rule sets CGL published, put together. Hell, there's even a Shadowrun newspaper in German.

Pegasus even publicly offered to translate their stuff back to English for the non-German community, but CGL said no to that, since it's technically their job. They just refuse to do it.
I hope that one day CGL just dissolves in an explosion of corporate drama and Pegasus gets the full licensing right to take over Shadowrun for good. They implied a few times in the past they are more than willing to do that, but as long as CGL exists, well, it can't be.

Goons Are Gifts fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 8, 2024

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
If CGL weren't such colossal dick shits they had a period of a few years with the Shadowrun games being quite popular on PC gaming that they could have very easily leveraged into making many other things not also look like rancid dildos. A new version around that same time that was good and didn't contain literal lorem ipsum grade unedited bullshit could have set the stage for Shadowrun to become *the* cyberpunk game but welp, here we are.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Goons Are Gifts posted:

Pegasus even publicly offered to translate their stuff back to English for the non-German community, but CGL said no to that, since it's technically their job. They just refuse to do it.

god loving dammit this is infuriating

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It becomes increasingly apparently CGL's just some sort of odd money laundering exercise.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Much like WOTC caring more about MtG, as it makes them money, over D&D, CGL cares more about BTech for the same reason.
Easier to drive in continuous sales with a tabletop wargame over an RPG.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Goons Are Gifts posted:

I hope that one day CGL just dissolves in an explosion of corporate drama and Pegasus gets the full licensing right to take over Shadowrun for good. They implied a few times in the past they are more than willing to do that, but as long as CGL exists, well, it can't be.

Sadly that is completely normal for CGL. In 5e, one of the freelancers went out of his own frustration and organized a huge project of fan-generated errata and rules text corrections, handed it over to Jason Hardy just needing sign off, asking for nothing in return. It died on his desk because he couldn't be bothered to give a gently caress.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
Did that compiled list of errata ever hit the internet as an unofficial publication?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
From the handful of people I know who play Battletech, it isn't nearly as maligned as their run(s) on Shadowrun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

bird food bathtub posted:

If CGL weren't such colossal dick shits they had a period of a few years with the Shadowrun games being quite popular on PC gaming that they could have very easily leveraged into making many other things not also look like rancid dildos. A new version around that same time that was good and didn't contain literal lorem ipsum grade unedited bullshit could have set the stage for Shadowrun to become *the* cyberpunk game but welp, here we are.

It technically is THE most popular cyberpunk ttrpg :ssh: it's just coasting on the success of previous editions, and other Shadowrun media