Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Davin Valkri posted:

Why can't Shadowrun ever be about nice people? :(

Is "everybody is a bad person, almost certainly including you" part of the appeal of the game? Because I thought the genre in general has moved more towards "things are bad but still possibly salvagable" as the prevailing mood.

I made a stealth-based character for 4th edition (that I never got to play because 5th was announced and released before I had the opportunity) who is a good person, or as good a person you can be when running the shadows. Refusing to kill (stun damage only), helping people, doing volunteer work at shelters (that aren't fronts for organ harvesting or bug spirits), protecting people if possible and so on. Sadly I can't recreate her for 5th edition until the new runners companion is out since it contains the rules for playing as an infected.

Don't drink on the job. :drac:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Random question, are the 5th edition rules fleshed out enough with just the core book to allow you to make a Mirror's Edge type of character? Preferably an adept.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Using a QI focus is a very good idea.

If you use a mage-type for it you can just grab the levitation spell and call it a day. :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Drakes are dual natured, does this mean they are actually useful for something? :haw:

Hmmm, with the slightly better melee system they might not be such a trap-like choice anymore. Although considering the build point cost in 4th you'd probably end up with priority A metatype (drake 0).

Poil fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Aug 21, 2013

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

ProfessorCirno posted:

Yeah, gear has always been - and remains - the longest and most annoying part of chargen.

Quite frankly it's one reason I like adepts. Less gear to buy!

It's wonderful for people like me who enjoy spending too much time with it though. :shobon:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Are there any reliable and good ways to commit suicide if you're captured/disabled as an awakened and can't install a cranial bomb or any other ware? Preferably not killing anyone nearby. Poison might be impossible (unless you can burn edge to auto-fail a roll or something).

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

dirtycajun posted:

This is my first pass at the combat rigging monster. Please alert me of mistakes, chances there are some in resources. There is room for lots of more crazy stuff because I didn't use much floating karma so you can feel free to make this yours however you see fit. You are not THE frontline combat guy, but you can scout via drones, provide suppressive fire, and take 19 dice pot shots with a smartlinked warhawk. Your defense is pretty great, rolling 17 dice to make shooting miss you and can willpower to 20 and still have 5 edge to survive with. Armor is not the highest because I haven't really optimized this thing but at damage resist tests at 23 dice you should be doing all right. Initiative is at 17+3d6 outside of the matrix so minimum 3 passes unless you roll 3 1's.

So have at him or her. It should be fun!
Neat, but how do you keep and repair drones as a squatter? :v:

BenRGamer posted:

Eh, could have a suicide pill in a false tooth if poison's not impossible? Tooth compartments don't cost any essence at all, so that should be fine.
Hmmm, I suppose it might work but might not. Can you fit enough explosives to shred your brain in one? Or maybe connect several?

PierreTheMime posted:

Astrally project and go find yourself an astral predator. If you're not a full magician then there's not much you can do if you're tied up and have a blind on.
Interesting idea. Assuming a mage, could you summon up a powerful spirit and make it attack you? Would you even need to bind it or would it be enough to throw a spell at it right away?

Poil fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 23, 2013

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Cabbit posted:

If you're able to cast, why not just chain cast spells until you drain yourself into a lifeless husk?
Too obvious. And doesn't help adepts in any way. drat mages, having all the good stuff.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Dunno, the only ones that seem important is fire since if you catch fire you can end up burning for a few turns and electricity. Even though the latter has been heavily nerfed so its not as critical but it's probably the most common elemental damage you'll take.

I found the solution for my suicide problem, Cortex Bombs doesn't cost any essence so I can put one in an adept with no issue (apart from the 25k pricetag and 16F availability, drat). Kind of a let down that they don't have a wireless bonus like everything else though. :downs:

Poil fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 24, 2013

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

BenRGamer posted:

Yes, because you want the bomb in your head to be available online :v:

How else are you going to keep the software up to date? You don't want the bomb to malfunction because of a bug, do you? Not to mention the whole thing where you need to connect to the manufacturer's server on a daily basis or it'll stop working. Or possibly start working. Purely as an anti piracy feature of course.

Also it allows deckers to have more fun.

I already have the bonus part worked out, you get to detonate it as a free action instead of a simple action. Kinda like smuggling compartments (which you also want to have broadcasting wi-fi signals). Does the smuggling ware come with an eject function or something?

Poil fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 24, 2013

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

If I want to fight non-lethally would this be a good selection of weapons?
-Defiance EX Shocker: main weapon
-Ares Predator V w Stick-n-shock: when I need the range
-Stun Baton: melee, probably not used very often.

Mystic Mongol posted:

The entire reason you PUT a bomb in someone's head is so you can kill them wirelessly.

I want to put a bomb in my own head as a last resort to avoid capture. Rp reasons.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah, but it's 1 less damage and reach. Gotta at least attempt some competence.

Mystic Mongol posted:

Alright, but don't you want that bomb to have web 2.0 functionality? User generated content, plus a buy it now option where people can shorten the timer by a minute for fifty nuyen?
I want the platinum version with chrome polish.

I also want them to release splatbooks so I can create my homo sapiens nobilis vrykolakas character. :argh:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Fun, especially on a melee based troll. But slightly too murderous for the idea I have.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I think we should blame the devs for not going with a better scale than just 1-6. Apart from the insults I enjoy reading spergy discussions. :shobon:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Mystic Mongol posted:

I'm just gonna bring this up again. A rotodrone, a sorta floating helicopter with a gun mounted on the bottom, can go about sixty miles per hour flat-out. But if a dedicated rigger with a level 2 VCR jumps in, that shoots up to two hundred and forty miles per hour. A Eurocar Westwind can do 475 mph flat out, but with a rigger in the driver's seat that shoots up to about mach 2.5. A level 3 VCR can double those numbers!

I think physics just started crying.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

dirtycajun posted:

Only melee weapons can be foci

Can't you just have it act and shoot normally when used as a gun?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I wish there'd be a bit more power progression in game, it's kinda annoying how if you can't grab a piece of expensive ware or equipment at character gen you're not likely to ever get it. Same for a high skill rating.

Like all that arguing about starting with a 1 in an attribute earlier (please please don't begin that again, I'm just using it as an example because it was the first thing I thought of):

Character A starts with 5 agility and 1 strength.
Character B starts with 4 agility and 2 strength.
A spends 10 karma to raise strength to 2.
B spends 25 karma to raise agility to 3.
Both now have agility 5 and strength 2 but one of them is rewarded for minmaxing by being up 15 karma. :downs:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Doc Dee posted:

What would I have to do to have a dog companion, take some level of the Dependent negative quality, the Animal Control skill, and like a 6L/1C Dog contact, or would I have to capture a dog and bend it to my will?
All those downsides seem WAY to harsh for what you're getting out of it. Compare a dog to a flying drone with a machine gun. You could probably pick one up for almost nothing at a pound, your lifestyle will most likely cover the costs but the control skill to train it could be useful if you buy it untrained.

You could always look up the 4th edition book Running Wild which handles stuff like that. It's probably not very prioritized as a 5th edition book however so don't bother waiting for it. It's a really fun book with rules for stuff such as buying and owning elephants, ware that works on animals and of course stats for using wared up grizzly bears instead of guard dogs.

Poil fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Sep 15, 2013

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Wasn't the noise factor really broken as well? Like if you were in a regular metropolitan area all but the most expensive comlinks would be unworkable?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Diaghilev posted:

We had an interesting moment at last week's game.

After our crew of runners posed as glitter-infested crossdressers and drug addicts to fool some club owners named after Shakespearean characters, my character accidentally handed them a commlink containing the REAL data they wanted, rather than the faked data we'd hoped to trade to them. They left the hotel. We realized our (my) fuckup when they were about three blocks away, moving on foot.

We responded appropriately.

My mage smashed the 17th-floor hotel room window with a desk lamp and levitated our gunbunny out the window with more or less adequate warning. She received an object lesson in BASE jumping, but made it down intact. Our adept decided that the window was also for him, and slalomed down the glass frontage of the hotel, leaving a wake of shattered windows and cracked bootprints in the side of the building. Hooray for wall-running, a profound gymnastics rating, and some amazing dice luck. My mage has a force 7 spirit of air gently carry him down to the ground.

Hard cut to the infiltrator and pistol adept calmly taking the elevator down, muzak playing blithely.

The gunbunny leaps on her bike and roars off into the busy night traffic of San Francisco. The infiltrator and I hop onto his crotch rocket motorcycle, and in a fit of sheer genius, I command my spirit of air to use his last remaining task owed to speed us up with the Movement power.

The bike, a Thundercloud Contrail, has a speed of 6. The spirit rolls for the Movement power and gets 8 hits. Funny thing, that.

It was late and we needed some time to figure out the math behind what that result meant, so we broke for the night and, once I got home, I did some math.

code:
Suzuki Mirage: Speed 6, Acceleration 3
Hits (8) *  Acceleration (3) = 24
24 + 6 = 30
I found that we had a small problem:

I asked my friend Funranium, a physicist, to help me grasp what had just happened in real-world terms. His reply, paraphrased:
Herr Direktor posted:

"I mean, being a hyperrelativistic muon soup could be a very rewarding roleplaying experience, but let's just imagine it's you and your motorcycle for the moment. From a human point a view, you instantaneously turn into a rapidly advancing ball of plasma shedding a rather lethal sheath of gamma radiation. Of course that radiation can't move faster than light either. Everyone around is dead from that momentarily before your FIRE OF ANNIHILATION consumes them and the rest of San Francisco. Look at the map, figure out which direction you were facing, and then, in three dimensional space, draw a straight line from this point to the horizon and into space because you will obliterate everything along this line in a 15-degree cone. You are a plasma jet carrying all the unfortunate matter that was in your way to make a new ring around Earth. The good news is that you probably don't trigger nuclear winter, but you have sterilized a good chunk of central California and Nevada with your gamma bath."

"Unless, of course, you hit the Sierra Nevada before you hit orbit. Let's say, for the sake of interest, you had a 300kg bike and you weighed 70kg. You, alone, are a ~8000MT nuclear bomb, focused due east. Welcome to nuclear winter. You remove Yosemite in an incandescent cloud. Molten silica sets off firestorms across the earth. You are a geologic event comparable to the K/T boundary or the Deccan Traps supervolcano eruption. Life will persist, it always does, but it may be a while until sentient life happens again to understand what you did with your motorcycle."

"Also, you will leave an interesting radiation signature in the rocks."

I suppose I'm looking forward to the errata as much as anyone. I find out what happens to my character--and all of San Francisco, I suppose--on Monday.

This is awesome and should be in the OP, along with the calculation posts for the addiction rules (where a guy who drank a cup of coffee everyday burned out and died in two weeks) and what happened to people in a room being hit by a flashbang. :suspense:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Is this game even playable considering how utterly broken everything is? :psyduck:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I was thinking of ways to improve my idea for an elf rocker who believes he is an ork when I was playing Brütal Legend and thinking how awesome it is to shoot lightning bolts from your guitar when I had an obvious revelation. It might be hard to convince my GM to let me follow the metal tradition but man do I want to*. Turning an electric guitar into a focus and playing/singing metal as the choice of Centering. :black101:

*I'm a pretty terrible player and way too easily influenced by everything when it comes to characters. The guy in the group who constantly wants to make new characters and gets really excited about really bad ideas (often snowflakes) and keeps bringing up weird races and classes and concepts, is me. :blush:

This is what I have so far:
code:
Metatype:
Elf

Priority:
A Magic		6 magic, 10 spells, 2 5 rating magic skills
B Attributes	20
C Meta		3	
D Resources	50'000
E Skills	18

------------------------------------------------------
Qualities Positive:

Focused Concentration r4			
Mentor Spirit: Dragonslayer			 
(+2 social to social skill of choice, performance is a social skill)

Qualities Negative:

Ork Poser
Spells:

Lightningbolt
Fireball

Detect Life, extended
Mind Probe

Heal
Increase Reflexes

Trid Entertainment
Trid Phantasm

Magic Fingers
I'm not sure about the spells at all.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Welp, I got inspired to finish it and here is the result (copy&pasted from notepad)
code:
Metatype:
Elf

Priority
A Magician	6 magic, 10 spells, 2 rating 5 magic skills
B Attributes	20
C Meta		3	
D Resources	50'000
E Skills	18

Tradition: Music/Rock/Metal, casts spells through the power of metal. Wil+Cha to resist.

Stats:

Bod	Agi	Rea	Str	Wil	Log	Int	Cha	Edg
1/6	2/7	1/6	1/6	1/6	1/6	1/6	3/8	1/6

+2	+2	+4	+0	+4	+1	+3	+4	(+3)	20

Bod	Agi	Rea	Str	Wil	Log	Int	Cha	Edg
3/6	4/7	5/6	2/6	5/6	2/6	4/6	7/8	4/6
			+1karma
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Qualities Positive:

Focused Concentration r4			16
Mentor Spirit: Dragonslayer			5

total						21
Qualities Negative:

Ork Poser					6
Prejudicated vs Elves				5 (common+bigoted)
Distinctive Style				5 (Ork rocker)						

total						-16

Total						5		
--------------------------------------------------------------
Starting karma		25
Qualities		5
Attritubes		10	(+1 Str)
Nuyen			4 	(+8000)
Focus			6	(f1 Power)

Total			25
Contacts:				
			Con/Loy
+fixer			6/2	8	
+talismonger		3/3	6	
+bartender		4/3	7

Total				21
Cha x3 free			-21
Total				0
Skills: (18)

Longarms			6+1		+2 shotguns
Performance			6+1		+2 electric guitar (+2 performance: mentor spirit)
Spellcasting			1(6)+1		+2 Illusion (+2 combat: mentor spirit)
Summoning			1(6) 
Counterspelling			1		

Total				18				

Knowledge:

Music				4		

Language:		
Sperethiel		N
Or’zet 			4
English			4

Total				12
Int+Log x2 free knowledge	-12
Total				0
--------------------------------------------------------
Spells (10):

Lightningbolt
Fireball

Detect Life, extended
Mind Probe

Heal
Increase Reflexes

Trid Entertainment
Trid Phantasm
Mass Confusion

Magic Fingers
-------------------------------------------------------
Weapons:

Remington 950					2100

Defiance T-250					450
+smartgun					450
Misc:

Commlink Hermes Ikon				3000
+sim mod					100
Tag eraser					450
Ear buds r2					100
+Audio enhancer r2				1000
Fake SIN r3					7500
Fake license r3					600
Fake license r3					600
Sunglasses r4					400
+vision magnification				250
+smart link					2000
+vision enhancement r2				1000
Ammo:

Explosive 			80x20		1600
(200 rounds)

total						1600	1600
Armor:

Armor jacket					1000

total						1000	1000
Vehicles:

Harley Davidson Scorpion			12000	12000
Foci:

Power Focus force 1 (electric guitar)		18000	18000
Lifestyle:

Low						2000
x1							2000
Total							57850

Base							50000
+karma							8000
Remaining						150
I suspect it counts as pink mohawk. As always, comments and criticism is very welcome.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Doc Dee posted:

Do you have three Specializations here? Because you can only have one at chargen.

Yes, longarms, performance and spellcasting each have one. I can't find the rule against it, all I see is that you're only allowed one specialization per individual skill at chargen (page 89).

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Gobbeldygook posted:

The authors of 4th edition thought the same way! Let's look at the wonderful rules they wrote.

Jump in and drive a vehicle: Response of your commlink + vehicle skill +2 for hotsim and -1 threshold on all Vehicle Tests.

Physically drive a vehicle: Reaction + vehicle skill, +1 if AR enabled.

Remote control a vehicle: Rating of your Command program + vehicle skill, -1 threshold to all vehicle tests

Drone driving itself: Pilot + Maneuver

Four different dice pools for the exact same action.

While all are about driving a car, how the heck would you write ONE rule for all those separate things?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I was looking for which spirits my metal/rock tradition would use and while fire, man and beasts are kinda obvious I'm not sure about earth, air or water. Earth and air might make more sense?

However there is a minor issue, what in the world does "Combat: Beasts" or "Detection: Air" mean? If I summon a spirit for combat it's going to be a beast spirit? How the heck would I go about deciding which spirit is for what?

ProfessorCirno posted:

Those...those aren't all separate things.
Yeah, if you think of it that way it makes sense not to separate them.

Poil fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 2, 2013

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Gobbeldygook posted:

Combat: Beasts means beast spirits are associated with Combat spells in that tradition. The only thing that mechanically affects is this:
"Page 302, under Bound Spirit Services posted:

Aid Alchemy, Sorcery, and Study: As a service, the spirit can add its Force as a dice pool bonus to your Alchemy, Spellcasting, Ritual Spellcasting (for spell rituals), and Learning Tests if its type matches the spell’s category, as listed under your tradition (p. 279)."

Beyond that it's just flavor
Ah, thanks.

So I might be going:
Combat: Beasts
Detection: Earth (the earth shakes with the sound of metal)
Illusion: Fire (fire is part of the show)
Manipulation: Air
Health: Man (roadies, medstaff, etc)

Earth is more metal than water I think. Not only because it's the element where you find rocks and metal ore in but it seems to be more common with earth-related metal than water-related. I'm not explaining it very well at all but, for example, fire is metal and water isn't as much. Except for pirate or viking and occasionally mermaids too (bad choices deliberate). But beyond that I don't really associate that element with the music.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The songs aren't particularly representative of the genres.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I like the idea of building the character with karma to make them well rounded and then advance with build points. Less chance of elite marksmen who can't tie their shoelaces or negotiate for a hot dog. No idea how well it would actually work though.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Gobbeldygook posted:

Shadowrun has consistently aimed for something more than Hollywood realism but less than GURPs or Rolemaster, albeit with a long term trend towards less realism and detail.
Hmmmm, Shadowrun with Rolemaster rules? Oh gods. Weapon tables, armor tables, ware tables, magic tables, skill tables, more detailed skills, different cultures with different bonuses, spreadsheets, even longer character creation, no priority poo poo, training packages, more talents, more detailed talents and the list goes on. :fap:

This needs to happen!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

In Hollywood, protagonists can kick/throw back grenades though. Actually that can happen in real life too.

Here's an example of something that's impossible under Shadowrun rules (about 2:20 in).

And some people prefer mirrorshades Shadowrun.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

What does that have to do with anything?

I meant it more in a that's how I want to do my runs kind of way.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I just realized that this might be suitable for a game where you create characters, the mary sue test:
http://www.springhole.net/writing/marysue.htm

The elf/ork rocker mage got an 11.
My idea for a banshee adept somehow only scored a 7.

When are those new books going to come out? Why is it taking so long? It's not like they balance or proofread them or anything.

Poil fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Oct 27, 2013

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

The problem though is that as you start moving up in 'ware grades the nuyen costs begin to skyrocket. Even if your GM is nice enough to let you simply upgrade a piece of standard 'ware to Alpha grade without having to buy a new piece of Alpha 'ware from scratch, you're still looking at potentially six figures to upgrade a cyberlimb or something.

Don't forget the time it takes to find the better quality gear if you're not minmaxing the dice you roll for it.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The biggest issue with that decker is that you have too few dice playing guitar, what were you thinking?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Um, according to 4E vampires can get wared up. However they can only get deltaware or higher, can't use genetech plus a few over things and their bodies slowly reverse any plastic surgery. Also finding a place willing to install the ware is a lot more difficult.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Nice, that's very useful. :)

Zereth posted:

... "or higher"? Since when does cyber go over deltaware? :raise:

My mistake. I don't use cyberware often enough so I forgot which was the highest. Never even used anything beyond standard grade stuff.

Poil fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Nov 14, 2013

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Only 2 reaction? You'll ALWAYS go last in combat meaning either you or the enemy will be dead before your turn comes up. Not a problem if you don't intend to go into combat.

Doc Dee posted:

I don't know what I'm doing. :suicide:
Join the club! :downs:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'd love to be able to play a drake. :swoon:

But I think they just look like a regular orc or elf or whatever until they sprout wings, claw your face off and cremate your remains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Tias posted:

So I'm creating a character, and in the list of agility-linked skills in my book, I see "Herding". Which I cannot find a description for, elsewhere in the book :eng99:

Another thing to chalk up to lovely editing, or is it supposed to be a skill you can have?
What, you haven't been using maxed out herding skill with a specialization in goats? Holy poo poo dude, how do you even manage to complete a single run without it? :psyduck: