Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://docs.google.com/document/d/143Qbf9YFoT4r6psNS5Jugjd39JrGn7cD029cWgcB9gE/edit

So a while ago in a fit of boredom I translated the equipment sections from the German State of the Art ADL book into English because I figured someone might be interested in what's available there.

It's mainly a machine translation via Google Translate alongside what things I can remember from my German studies from like a decade ago to make things sound a bit less choppy. But the whole thing is rife with grammatical inconsistencies so apologies for that beforehand.

I have opened the document for suggestions if people feel inclined to correct and edit any major issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Skypie posted:

I wonder if just a whole system reboot wouldn't do the game some good so new editions/supplements aren't married to these clunky legacy components, or if that would just make the Dumpshock forums start frothing at the mouth

I share the opinion with my SR5 GM in that the franchise would've been better off just being sold off to another publisher rather than staying with CGL at this point.

Liquid Communism posted:

Their release schedule has tanked, they've released 3 SR books this year, none of which really made anything resembling a splash.

Which is even more telling when one of the upcoming releases is just another book about weapons from what I've heard.

Liquid Communism posted:

I think the fanbase isn't even really interested anymore.

No I think they're just tried of CGL in general because of their lack of care of the franchise with underpaying freelancers and poor books. I mean the common mantra over at the /tg/ thread is "Don't buy CGL books" and it's gone to the point, as far as as I'm aware, that one of the SR subreddits are kinda in the same mindset. Especially after how dire Complete Trog is.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

gourdcaptain posted:

And given the recent pace of D&D releases it might even be slower on top of that.

Yeah I have started wondering who cares the least about their RPG license between WOTC and CGL.

sexpig by night posted:

Yea when you need freelancers to make your poo poo, and already maybe have a dodgy reputation, driving your game so far in the ground most fans are just kinda going 'meh' at the thought of you making more things is a great way to never have any worthwhile releases again. CGL just needs to sell it, I don't know who can do it 'better' but at least it'll spare us another edition of them throwing darts at a wall to decide the new ~revolutions in setting~.

Freelancers is pretty much the standard practice when it comes to RPGs. But the thing with CGL, as far as I've heard it from my SR5 GM who plays with a couple of them, is that they tend to go for the lowest bidder.
Combine that with them not bothering to all that much playtesting you have a recipe for mediocrity.

As for who could it better? The Germans probably. The State of the Art ADL book has some overall great art in it and the writing from what I've seen is pretty good as well. So handing over the SR license to Pegasus Press could probably be a good idea.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Pegasus getting the entire license would probably be excellent. The translated stuff I've seen of theirs has been really good.

Lowest bidder, no playtesting, and having driven off the freelancer crew with decades of experience writing for the game via refusing to pay them. The freelancers they're using now are mostly from the Battletech pool and may or may not have any idea of what a Shadowrun even is.

There also seems to a case of odd agenda pushing that goes against what has been written previously. Some complaints I saw about Complete Trog seemed as if the writers tried to inject things into that book that had never actually been present beforehand which created an odd disconnect.

Gort posted:

I really wish they just hired a couple of guys full-time to make this poo poo instead of farming it all out to a million different people.

Probably but as far as I've gotten it, using freelancers is standard practice in the industry these days. I know FFG did so at least for Dark Heresy and probably the same with Star Wars. Not really sure if WOTC has people working full time on 5e these days. Otherwise we'd probably see more Unearthed Arcana stuff other than every couple of months now.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Speaking of something similar saw a mention on /tg/ today that one of the freelancers apparently wants to do a Technomancer or AI book, and sent in a draft about it, but one of the editors or someone higher up keeps stonewalling the idea for unknown reasons.
No idea how legit that claim is though.
So I guess something really is rotten in the house of CGL.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Oh nevermind, I read the message wrong somewhat. Apparently its the editor not doing their job correctly and not getting the rest of the AI/Technomancer book together.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Cuntellectual posted:

I haven't heard much about magic being bad, either.

In our group the consensus of "gently caress magic" is shared by half the players and the GM because we've all seen how stupidly overpowered and broken it can be.

Pretty sure he also runs with a bunch of minor hacking houserules to make things easier for the Technomancer player. Even then it does come off as a ton of rolls being made.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Meanwhile my sammy managed to get enough cred together to buy a single cyberware upgrade over six runs.

I would find your GM questionable for that alone since that seems almost unfair. :raise:

Or maybe I'm used to GMs who hand out decent more payments seeing as our team earned 7k each for our first run in the Vladivostok campaign.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

In general bad experiences with mages rolling through encounters without breaking a sweat. For the Vladivostok campaign we had one player doing a mage and had a summon that just tore through a bunch of adept adversaries without much of an issue.
Same goes for a couple of the players who just have had magic suck all the fun out of things when they show up.

Also magic removes some of the challenge at times, as much as invisibility can be handy it can quickly turn into a blanket solution against things forcing the GM to handwave it away with various roundabout explanations as to how they find out that half the party is walking past a security checkpoint while invisible.

Granted the VK GM had us go up against toxic mages in a mission. But at the same time we were equipped with Full Body Armor on everyone and exoskeletons for the Street Sams. (On loan from the Johnson.)
Even then we were close to dying due to magic being really ridiculous. Without the extra defence we most likely would've died if we rolled badly to defend against spells.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Trizzdog posted:

Something definitely existed in 4e, because I used it to make our party temporarily astral for a special mission. It's always a good joke to describe the barely metahuman cyber-troll with shite mental stats when they're astral.

Yeah there is a drug in SR that lets you go astral, based on a previous discussion within my group but the name eludes me. It lasts Essence+1D6 hours but you need to return to your body before the duration runs out or you will die.
But going by RAW you can't end astral projection unless you're a mage.
:v:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

40 Proof Listerine posted:

Not the same drug, but Deepweed forces Astral Perception in a similar manner. This was used by the group to get an edge on security spiders in a building by remotely delivering (via rigged drone) a Deepweed gas grenade to get the spiders high and interfere with Matrix actions due to seeing Astral.

Ah ok.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The pictures in Gun Heaven 3 is pretty good all around because that book was made when the SR5 designs had entered.
Now 1 and 2 on other hand, now those have some really bad illustrations. But then again it felt like that was the case for even the core SR4 book as well. The SR4 XM30 design looking really awful for instance.

Speaking of something completely different I wish that they had actually released the 30 Rides book because that was supposed to have a bunch of German exclusive vehicles in it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Mulva posted:

Basically every single SR5 gun is just "Random gun" or "Random with random part of other random gun photoshopped on". They are hilariously badly designed.

I still think they look better than most SR4 guns. :colbert:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

LGD posted:

e: (in all seriousness 4E had some really bad gun art too, just bad in a different way)

:stare:
Okay. You got me there at least.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Solid Poopsnake posted:

What the gently caress runners are out there without DocWagon? I never much worry about oopsing PC corpses with that. With how easy it is to make near-invincible PCs in SR4, balancing is too finicky.

E: Also, liberal use/interpretation of stimulant drugs helps here.

My GM just told me that grabbing DocWagon was a bad idea in general because they're going to show up the moment you conk out and possibly just make things worse.
Or at least that was the reason I remember being dissuaded at grabbing one during chargen.

Meanwhile I had a session today in which all my combat rolls were 2's and the only way I managed to take someone out was when they managed to roll 1's to dodge.
The most hollow of victories if anything.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

His reasoning, after looking back at the Skype logs, was that they bring in more problem than they might be worth. Such as dealing with them coming in mid job which might complicate things. So not really worth it and I do respect his opinion on these things. Not to mention it saved me money for other things. :v:

But the cost issue is also very relevant.

jagadaishio posted:

Instead, get a Rating 6 medkit installed into your armor or your body. If you have it wireless-enabled and attach it to yourself in advance, it can start rolling First Aid tests with 12 dice as soon as you get injured. Much cheaper and much more prompt than even the quickest of DocWagon responses. It's hard to go wrong with a built-in expert medical system.

Yeah I need to remember that for next time I buy new combat armor. Which perhaps won't be for a while since I have a lot of other expenses to deal with. Such as a PMC license that lets me roll straight through police and military checkpoints.
And boy howdy is that needed right after the Vory made the military invade the most lawless district in the city in a move to take power. Things are interesting in Vladivostok right now.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Solid Poopsnake posted:

E: Also your game sounds dope, please tell us about it.

Basic rundown is that it's set in Vladivostok in the late 2070's (date as of last session was October 3rd 2076) and the city is more or less completely controlled by the police and military due to stuff in the expansive backstory the GM has written up.

The sole exception is a region of the city (The Zone) that has been walled off where the gangs get to roam free pretty much and do their own thing and the only time you'll see police is when they're rolling in with ultra lethal force. (Other districts have a D1 to D5 rating to denote what kind of police/military response you get. D1 is "Response Time is near-instant. Security Rating (7-6)")

The Zone is also where the Team mainly operates in even if we've been elsewhere through the city.
The team consists of an Ork Heavy Gunner, a Blind Elf Technomancer and her drone bodyguard, a Human Adept/"Face" (putting that very lightly so far) and a Human Driver/Street Sam (me in this case. Coincidentally the only guy on the team).

So far we've been pulling through rather well and gone from delivering donator hearts to preventing a highly lethal drug to enter the streets to taking out a ghoul cult and finding elusive people.

But we hit a slight issue by the end of our last mission where there was a standing offer during downtime to go and work for Karpov Industries, a Russian AA corp, that hires runners extensively to provide them with security and go up against other corps and so on.
This happening before the martial law being applied on the Zone and the Vory taking control. (The team was even partly responsible for making the Yakuza survive the storm even.)

However, half the team didn't want to sell out full time. Which pissed off the other half (just IC in this case). This lead to the team going their separate ways, half the team hating the other half in the process. Staying separated for five weeks until the Technomancer managed to get herself into some trouble alongside one of her friends and we had to pull her out of it. Which made for an awkward reunion.

So currently the team is still kinda split and are essentially planning to sit down and try to talk to each other about what they want to do.

One neat thing the GM does is letting us vote on what missions. But we have to that first either based on name of the mission (and associated song) and then after that we just get what the Johnson wants us to do and that's our second and final vote.
So currently the next vote is either doing more missions or continue our supposedly six month downtime.
Considering my characters monetary situation I went all in on doing more runs I should add.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 5, 2017

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

40 Proof Listerine posted:

Easy, capsule rounds with your choice of contact-based drugs - I recommend NoPaint for portable anesthetics or Sober Time for shooting coked-up ganger samurai to wage the war on drugs, one round at a time. Bonus points for Ripper for the idea of giving people steroids from 1/2 km away.

Bullets & Bandages has a couple of fun beneficial drugs like Crash and Hemosynth that could probably be used with injection rounds as well.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The sequel got officially announced today by the way.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

unseenlibrarian posted:

It also announced that Landis won't be involved going forward, which is all to the good, really.

On the other hand David Ayer is both writing and directing it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Poil posted:

It's a bit tiring when I've spent so much time working and angsting over my character and something like "the setting for our game is no longer going to be occult mystery it is now an action comedy lol" happens. Welp. That's another character that seemed really fun that I'll never get to play. :sigh: :emo:

I know the feeling somewhat since that is what kinda killed my SR Vladivostok game with one of the players feeling that their character not fitting in with the campaigns overall tones.
I hope we'll resume someday but who knows. At least we got two sessions of Danger EVO out of it as a side thing. :shobon:

https://twitter.com/netflix/status/948571927345418242
Announcement video in this case. Watch until the end.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 3, 2018

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

CGL has a massive boner for BTech and boardgames right now because one has two video games in development and the latter is simply really popular these days.
Can't remember the last time I saw any SR news on their twitter feed for instance, nothing but BTech and Dragonfire talk all the time.

Their Gencon booth last year was a pretty good showing of how little they care about SR nowadays.

Had CGL been smart they would've capitalized on Brights popularity since even Netflix made a comment about Shadowrun in relation to it recently.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jan 5, 2018

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Mystic Mongol posted:

Wasn't "recently" yesterday? Ideally they'd leap into action with a ready to run splatbook about playing legitimate cops in a uncaring world, but I'm not surprised they didn't have a press release ready to go.

Oh sure, I didn't expect a book release or anything but the only comment I've seen was a reply back to the Shadowrun comment in the Bright 2 video. Which must've slipped me by in this case.
But you'd figure they would try to renew SR advertising even when the first movie was on the way since everyone and their grandma made SR allusions to it.
Just feels like a lost opportunity.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Chummer is a loving godsend. I wouldn't even be playing SR in the first place if it wasn't for that program making the character creation process so much easier.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

What happened with CFD in the metaplot?

From what I remember hearing people didn't really give a poo poo about it and it was poorly written and implemented so it was just dropped without much fanfare in one of the more recent books, complete with a successful cure and everything.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

As nerdy covers goes it's not that bad.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Played both 4e and 5e. Don't really have a favourite because they all have the same clunky feeling to it but 5e felt a bit nicer in a way.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.catalystgamelabs.com/2018/05/23/shadowrun-sprawl-ops-goes-live-on-kickstarter/
Turns out it was just a Kickstarter for their next boardgame.

The announcement tweet contained a mentions to HBS as well for some reason. Probably the extra attention.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The hilarious part is that it can be played in co-op. But for that you need additions that are Kickstarter exclusive.
Which feels like peak CGL decision making in this case.
Otherwise it feels like Lords of Waterdeep but SR. Which is neat but meh.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah my old SR GM wasn't too pleased about that book either.
For once I'm not sure why adding Carbines as a completely different weapon class was a good idea since they don't seem to give anything special and could've just been listed as SMGs. Like they've done previously when it comes to carbine weapons.

Also that is the shittiest red dot sight ever and it looks more like a laser sight than anything else.
If anything the double magazine PSG-1 is probably the worst art crime in the book because it's so incredibly stupid.

The layout for the weapon pages is pretty bad too because its all so incredibly dense and layered on top of each other with barely any room to breathe.
Dunno why they just didn't reuse the GH3 display layout or something.

Wonder how much the german version of the book is going to fix. :v:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

wiegieman posted:

I'm personally pulling for Technomancers cracking the CFD nanite, installing their own minds on them, and becoming the resonance-fueled alternative to Adepts.

That would require the Technomancer book to come out in the first place.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Based on my own experiences I'd say adept of some kind.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/259492/

I had no idea this book was even a thing. Haven't heard about it before and I've been following the CGL twitter for ages.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Moriatti posted:

Oh awesome, this fits my character concept so rad.

Funny enough I think that book fits most of the SR players in my gaming group, me included, since we almost prefer being do gooders than morally ambiguous people.
Which is kinda why our last SR campaign ground to a halt, alongside some other tonal differences.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Nalesh posted:

This is more a problem with the gm imo, you can do oldschool shadowrun feel in 5e just fine.

Considering the last run my group did before we stopped due to it not working out for us ended with a highway chase involving a trailer and a minigun armed helicopter I would say yes to that.
But at the same time that does seem to be the tone the SR4 and 5 books have been pushing extensively.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Or overbearing perhaps.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Pretty sure it's for non-magic people so not for mages and adepts.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Ronwayne posted:

That's a problem in the LCs i'm in. They have the NO POLITICS rule to keep screaming to a minimum but then you're stuck with punk pcs with southpark values.

So Shadowrun Kids edition?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Only way 6th will ever happen is if CGL dies and the license goes over to Pegasus Press or some other company at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I don't think CGL even sees any gain in making SR6. It'll be too much of a drain of resources that should be going to projects that matter more in their eyes.