Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

Shadowrun Fifth Edition: I’ve been staring at this system for a month and now and it’s not going to get any better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

I cracked open my copy of Rigger 2 for old time's sake and got about two minutes into reading how the Electronic Warfare skill worked before wondering how any of us ever managed to actually play this game. I know I have but it seems like a fever dream.

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

I want to argue but. honestly i liked the matrix stuff being its own mini dungeon

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

I mostly played in 2nd and ran games in 3rd so :shrug:

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

Tippis posted:

4E was when it went all AR and wireless, but wasn't made of ghosts yet.
You could do wireless way back in 2E (or maybe even 1E) but with significant performance loss.

I remember there was some point to point laser connectivity devices that you had to have a clear line of sight to and manually line up. Just absolutely wild.

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

I played in a larp for a while where there were simultaneous physical and matrix things going on, and neither could directly affect the other (but could indirectly, like installing taps, controlling turrets, opening doors), but also the physical fighters could kill the enemy decker if they could get to the tag that represented their body, I feel like the 'if you can find the other guy's decker's meat and smoke him' gets underused in SR.

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

Unfortunately Shadowrun is just...like this.

e: I'm pretty sure in Rigger 2, SR was the first rpg system I encountered that asked you to calculate a square root for some mechanic.

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

DicktheCat posted:

I don't mind so much that things are complex, it's mostly that the rules are not laid out on the books well at all.

I have bad news for you about how Catalyst approaches editing and layout.

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

If I had to freeze time I'd probably stick with 3rd edition, but I acknowledge I'm a bit groggy about it.

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

I don't think it ever showed up in the core rules but some splats got real out there

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

4th is probably the closest we've got to a streamlined, playable without a graphing calculator and a mountain of d6s. It made some major changes from previous editions, and caused a lot of edition warring, but I think it works well in general, even if I prefer 2nd or 3rd.

- No more exploding dice
- Target Numbers went from variable to fixed, you needed 5s or better, more successes meant better success.
- Priorities in chargen went away, replaced with a build point system.
- Introduction of wireless matrix

Unfortunately, playing Shadowrun is almost always a huge pain in the rear end no matter what edition.

Doctor Yiff fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Sep 17, 2022

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

I'm not gonna lie I really liked the Matrix as mini-dungeon that 2e ran with and 3e de-emphasized, but I also know in my heart it's untenable in actual play.

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

BY GAWD ITS JOHNNY RAZORGUY WITH A DIKOTE STEEL CHAIR

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

One GM had us as an Ares backed team on retainer, but that's a really specific game tone.

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

furry shadowrunners are a time honored tradition by god

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

madoka magica is canon in shadowrun now lol

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

do another harlequin campaign i promise it'll be funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

i was looking at my shadowrun duels figs the other day and was overcome by sadness. anyway cya