Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Gort posted:

It is a shame the human/elf katana-wielders all over the artwork are mechanically bad, though. Not very newbie-friendly.

Newbies unintentionally are the most punk if you think about it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Turtlicious posted:

Yeah had them pull up to an illegal street race because people shot down a Lonestar drone in the area, and immediately open fire into the crowd.

Another question:

One of my players blew up a Lonestar Helicopter with an extremely lucky roll and a sniper rifle. Then it fell into an overpass, one of their people are dead. It's time for Lonestar to go full scorched earth right? I'm thinking it might be a good chance to use this to have them face some magic stuff since it's been mostly tech heavy.

Going quiet after going loud shouldn't be that far fetched. If they have no contingencies, this might be a good start for building some. If they have no resources they can also pay with favors (to the local underground, crime orgs, other runners etc), good role-playing and plot hooks opportunity.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

OB_Juan posted:

A variant a friend came up with when most of the group was new was to have them meet in a coffeehouse. During the meeting, the coffeehouse get stuck up. Similar idea.

You mean a Stuffer Shack :colbert:

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Turtlicious posted:

Were any shadowrun novels worthwhile? Any you could recommend?

2XS is the defining shadowrun novel for me. It's got noir, cyberpunk, and horror in just the right mix.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Turtlicious posted:

Well, I didn't realize so much of our IRL government actually stems from organized crime.

dude Obama is from Chicago, coincidence????

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Shadowrun morality and and adult themes really depend on the group that is playing. It might be wise to separate those into different books, so each group can chose the level, basically. A third way to Mirror Shades and Pink Mohawks?

Although this might backfire horribly, like D&Ds Book of Vile Darkness.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

LuiCypher posted:

My runners need something physical to toss around so we can say "loadsamoney" and pretend that we're engaging in what should be the inevitable Killing Floor 2/PayDay 2 crossover.

the better loadsamoney vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op-LBp4sH7w :colbert:

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Social adepts and all the boosting to social skills is so un-shadowrun-like it actually makes me sick thinking about running such a game.

I ban that poo poo every time.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I always toyed with the idea of Ares being subverted not by Bug spirits but by Spider spirits

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Crasical posted:

A while back I ran into someone who 100% believed that to the world at large, Shadowrunners Did Not Exist. That they where disavowed by all media, not acknowledged by the megas, ect.

They believed that all the instances of Runners in the Media from the books as being 'about things that are considered fictional in-universe'.

it's a valid alternate world mod imo

for example Horizon imc can't use social adepts, changes that part of the setting completely

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Liquid Communism posted:

I don't honestly care what way they're having fun, I just tend to respect the constraints of the setting.

A single individual, no matter how shiny and chrome, is a fart in a fusion reactor when it comes to 'taking down' a AAA corp. Hell, so is any given national government. I think Cirno is suffering from a critical failure of scale in that he sees the megas as equivalent to say, Google or Microsoft, as opposed to what they actually are, which is legitimately larger than present-day governments.

Shadowrun isn't D&D. You're not going to overthrow the King with your plucky half-dozen adventurers. At best, going directly against the megas, you can expect to cause them problems on the local scale. Might even gently caress up a subsidiary pretty good, if you wanted to and didn't care about what the parent company will do in response. But at the end of the day you're playing a non-person who exists outside of society, and (given the book's payout rules) pulls in significantly less than a middle manager for his trouble.

Cirno does have a point though: the return of magic makes this cyberpunk dystopia different. The setting is a fight of hope against despair, nothing says (in the rules!) that mega corps are unkillable. This whole Kane situation is just the wrong way to go about that, and to be honest sounds literally retarded.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Arkangelus posted:

Anyone watching the new SyFy show Incorporated?

I haven't noticed any obvious cybernetics yet...

wouldn't that make it, you know, regular Punk?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

ProfessorCirno posted:

Yeah, because of the fuckin' bizarro way that Shadowrun is developed these days, the sample characters were all made before the actual rules were finalized - and at different points then, at that - so many of them break rules in weird ways.

iirc this has been true since SR1, I remember impossible equipment for the Mercenary (LMG and military grade armor) and I think the Street Samurai had not enough money to buy his stuff

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

The Lone Badger posted:

Phoenix Command?

Advanced Squad Leader

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

I ride bikes all day posted:

Unless you're going for a kind of wacky theme, I guess.
like a gunfight in a Stuffer Shack? <-- mandatory prolog in every SR camapign imo

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Cuntellectual posted:

What's Blades in the Dark?

a p good game system/line imo: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3713405

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
sometimes I forget why go-gangs are a thing (and not hunted to extinction by the feds), then that posts reminds me they care more about the literal and metaphorical truckbombs I guess

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I don't get the problem with street level mages, just say "no, you can only have level 3 spells because anything higher needs a special and expensive library" or something similar.

All other characters are restricted by the nuyen amount, mages then are too.

SR character creation is "balanced" around non-street, so you need to change the formula.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
there is obviously another, more heretical approach: make magic depend on rescources priority, and delete the magic priority

rescource then means the might/power of the institution that taught you magic, because everyone can learn magic with enough practice and teachers (and street level literally means you taught yourself and suck at magic)

mages and adepts then also would have convenient backstory hooks like streetsams, deckers and riggers: instead of the question "Who built you and your tech? And how did you get away with a million nuyen worth of killer ware?" you just ask how all that magic mojo came to be

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

ProfessorCirno posted:

A single gun in Dragonfall had more character then basically every other gun in Shadowrun combined. Then again, it also had two absolutely hilarious mechanical niches.

SSC guns were cool and good :colbert:

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Goa Tse-tung posted:

SSC guns were cool and good :colbert:

alright, I rescind my comment after going through it after nostalgia hit me, 12 year old me thought they were cool and good

they're bland trash

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Trizzdog posted:

Too bad they didn't introduce healing as an option for Alter Ballistics in Forbidden Arcana so you can have a truly sadistic sniper alchemist runner.

I keep the Cyberpunk alive in my game, even if I give it an overly humourous tone too many times about how blase the corps are about the team's actions.

Before my current campaign, my funnest one (other than when I went retardedly pink mohawk) was when the players were a Knight Errant's detective team. Of course, it fell apart and quickly became strikingly similar to a Paranoia game when the players couldn't figure out how to detective. WHADDAYAMEAN THERE'S PRO-SEE-DURR TO FOLLOW???

sounds like they would have made a better clean up unit

"alright we hosed up and now it looks like KE is to blame for this break in, to cover this up I want you to deal as much damage to this lab.

no, no it's cool, we have this made up character, Kane, we just blame it on him as usual, our media guys are top notch"

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Mr. Tambo posted:

Or they could buy Shadowrun and give it to White Wolf.

aaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

ProfessorCirno posted:

What Shadowrun needs isn't a 6th edition - what it needs is a reboot. And a new owner.

:hai:

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
it makes sense when you think of compatibility, wireless means you tell everyone to use the proven matrix code in a PAN, wired means everyone can and will cook their own soup

think you buy a Renraku Smartlink as a starter, you do some runs and upgrade your gun arm with a Shiawase Silver Series or whatever; it makes sense that Renraku for example will want to have some sort of lag or sabotage or whatever to competitor arms than their own product

(this assumes some sort of competition and therefore marketing in the same models of cybernetics)

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

jagadaishio posted:

that's a diagram with a vanishingly small combined intersection of people.

we used to call 'em Prime Runners...

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Ronwayne posted:

10,000 nuyen each pc, for milkrun, 12-18 for stuff involving serious thread of someone trying to kill them. 20,000 ea for messing with a serious power player on a high thread run. Karma as appropriate for how dickish the run is. Allow Work For the People/Work For the Man to lessen the tech user vs magic user dichotomy.

alright, milkruns forever it is

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

BurntCornMuffin posted:

I tried running a one-shot last night for what was intended to be a smash and grab. The party spent the entire session chasing every single lead they could, and we had to schedule another session.

Food Fight has leads? :thunk:

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Liquid Communism posted:

If it were a SF universe, that poo poo would fit, but Literally Matrix Magic is hilariously lazy writing with no place in the setting.

it would make sense were they to introduce it as a new totem, and therefore shamanistic tradition

it kinda makes sense, the matrix is used by billions of humans, there should be the equivalent of hearth spirits for it

I never bought anything beyond 2nd ed, but when I first heard about technomancers I thought they would go that way (imagine an adventure arc around the emergence of a new totem and the ramifications for the astral and so forth)

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/259492/

I had no idea this book was even a thing. Haven't heard about it before and I've been following the CGL twitter for ages.

that actually sounds good? and im interested in the location too? :psyduck:

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Dhalsim is real, and strong, and the back-up Long Gun of the team

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Gort posted:

I'd love to see a rewrite of Shadowrun from the ground up with a few design goals:

* The rules should support the fiction. If the books are full of pictures of elves with katanas, I want elves with katanas to be a reasonable choice, power-level wise.

* Everyone at the table should be involved to the same degree at the same time. I don't want hacking to be something one player does while everyone else waits, and I don't want shooting rules to be simple while magic rules are complicated.

* The rules used to create and advance characters should be the same. None of this "one-for-one at generation but escalating costs once the game has started" crap.

* All archetypes should advance equally. None of the "mundanes advance quickly to their cap while non-mundanes advance infinitely" stuff.

just want to point out that trying solve this is one of the best ways of falling asleep when you have trouble sleeping

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Liquid Communism posted:

Edit to add:
Magic should in fact be dehumanizing, in the sense that it is incomprehensible to the normal human experience how mages see the world. The fluff is good about that, pointing out how rare casters are in the population and how people are generally scared of them, problem being that they didn't back that up with crunch and instead put in a lot of quality of life benefits for casters that make them the best thing going mechanically.

for example being born a mage doesn't mean you can cast spells

you need to learn from teachers, and that incurs debt (similar how you should have a debt with Rescources A), and the player's job is to come up with a cool story what that debt means

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Ronwayne posted:

I dunno I disagree entirely. At some point, being faithful to whatever the old setting's themes that were written down several decades ago just doesn't matter all that much to me, and one of Eclipse Phase's problems is Psi users suck for the most part, magic transhumans is what I'm shooting for as the setting evolves. A strong magic tradition boosted by a more progressive post-cyberpunk thing is absolutely what I want to see in Shadowrun.

Part of the issue is, I don't think the essense of grimdark or whatever is enough anymore. I can understand cyberpunk's place of coming into being right around the time the soviet union collapsed and Japan uber alles, but I think we need to turn older settings into more progressive ones in terms of exploring what old tropes and central ideas can be changed for the better.

so, like, what if Shadowrun, but there are 100 times more mages, with magic cutting through the old Cyberpunk cliches, instead of enhancing them?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Ronwayne posted:

No, you need to think bigger (and not just in circumference), goatse isn't limited to one man, he's an ideal (specifically, The Adversary).

man the way the world is going he's more like The Constant or Nirvana

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
If they reboot Deus et al. they should ditch the implicit body snatcher route. Make the AI more animal like, driven by instinct and self preservation. It doesn't experience its hosts, but it doesn accumulate everything they sense. If one is in danger, it can't formulate a threat, it only has an emergent sense of dread . It can't see through their eyes, so it relies on others to protect them.

One day the Shadowrunners get a matrix drop for Shadowland Quick Runs, it says a Person is in danger, the fake Johnson doesn't know their name, only their SIN...

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Mulva posted:

That's Mirage. Deus is Samaritan.

ooo I like it

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
"I tell you, Bright is turning more and more into a documentary!"
"Shut the gently caress up you dorc."

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I think I said it earlier that having a debt mechanic for roleplaying and worldbuilding would be workable, but not this way :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
yeah all the monsters from folklore came back i.e. were real before

and then I just now remember the Juggernaut, what a cute lil dinosaur that was :3: