Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I happen to like Lofwyr and S-K, but while they appear to only merit AA status, I guess they have enough shady assets to stay on top of the game. Corporate Intrigues had a really good bit on why AAAs sometimes appear vague and understrength, but actually have enough economic leverage and political capital to destroy any one of their competitors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

I have never run a campaign that didn't have at least a couple of hooding job offers. Concerned neighbourhood mother group, Anarchist Black Cross, anti-racist alliance, that sort of thing. It gives the world some needed perspective, and helps players think about whether their characters would like to make a difference instead of just cred.

A lot of political groups in the sixth world are more than a little shady (Genepeace in principle concerned with out-of-control genetweaks and GMO crops, but not averse to loving killing people with gene therapy to make a point. Or TerraFirst! having the noble girl of averting global climate disaster, but bombing the living gently caress out of everything remotely civilized.), and exploring the depths of political extremism can be fun, but I will usually put up at least one "these are really honest, good people getting hosed over by the corps/syndicates/other runners, and they can't really pay you nova cred, or much of anything else for that matter. Will you do it anyway?" run.

((E: Valatar, even the humblest neighbourhoods have a part to play in larger political schemes, just mix it up!))

Tias fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Aug 6, 2013

Tias
May 25, 2008

Hypha posted:

many interesting :words: about bones.

The usual immunity problems also apply but I am sure they can be mitigated. Also, you have no way of repairing these ribbons in the body and could lead to complications down the road but hey, you are going to the cultured version sooner rather than later, right?

It is a possibility that isn't stupid but it has its drawbacks in that in no way can it be as complete as the proper procedure. Still, propagation and silencing of existing lines is much easier than starting from scratch.

Also, you have all kinds of nanoimmunosupression drugs and type Owen bones, so there is that to say for easy transplants!

Tias
May 25, 2008

Deviant posted:

Rules question:

Let's say I take two skills at creation, for example Disguise and Sneaking each at rank 4.

Later on, I throw a bunch of karma into a hole and buy Palming up to 4. I now have all three skills in one group at the same rank, does that mean I can begin advancing it as a group?

Short version, I know you can break up a group and recombine it later, but can you combine three skills you've never taken as a group?

I haven't read my 5E a whole lot, but I'm pretty sure I read that that was possible! As long as you have them at the same rating, of course.

Tias
May 25, 2008

That's the one!

Hypha posted:

What is a "type Owen bone"?

I just figured you could get type Owen bones, the same way you could get it in organs. For instance, a character with type O system quality would have type Owen bones, no?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Type O is not yet a thing in 5E, but in 4E it was, poorly paraphrased since I don't have my book: Organs or people made of universally transplantable, non-allergenic cells, the basis for most bioware. For a high cost you could buy the Type Owen System quality at character creation, which imparted some serious bonuses with regards to augmentation (but also made you a ripe target for ripper crews, since all your organs could be implanted in everybody).

Tias
May 25, 2008

Kwyndig posted:

This was named after the first person it was discovered had this quality, his biomass is now technically the largest living thing on the planet (just divided up into a whole bunch of people).

Aye, Owen Whiting of.. Michigan, I think? Why is it I can remember SR trivia, but not long division? :sigh:

Tias
May 25, 2008

On the subject of 4E veh/drone costs: It was argued in the fluff that, say, an APC could rather easily be purchased because of the many wars necessitating military development and a large surplus of second-generation hardware. I'd assume it was because having cops chasing your BMP in a citymaster is a lot more punk rock than a car chase, but that was the argument anyway.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Also, for the inventive GM, Chicago can be a loving treasure trove. I ran the "Ares Dragon Down" mission seed from Feral Cities in there, and my players were making GBS threads bricks, but stayed motivated because of the massive green they were promised!

Tias
May 25, 2008

It definitely is. I've only gone through the book a couple times, but it's no worse than 4E (though that isn't necessarily saying much, depending on how complex you think that is).

Tias
May 25, 2008

I'm away from books for a while, so pardon me asking: Can adepts still opt to astral project?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Martello posted:

But in 4th Edition they already made it so the hacker (which is what hackers are called, deckers is a stupid word) needed to come with on a run. And everyone having commilinks with agents and poo poo was both realistic and cool and made for a lot of poo poo the hacker could do.

I know I keep bitching about how 4th ed is better without owning the 5th book yet, but so much of the stuff posted here seems like it sucks. I'm not saying the 4e Matrix rules were perfect - in fact they were complicated as hell - but I don't like the sweeping changes they seem to have made in 5e.

Not disagreeing completely, but the matrix rules in 4E were so loving complicated that I eventually stopped using them. And I sat through learning dwarf fortress without complaint, you know? :psydwarf:

Tias
May 25, 2008

I'm going to ask here since I can't find a thread for Shadowrun Returns, and I know all you guys probably play it:

I accidentally turned on some feature that means I have to double-click every time I have to make a move or shoot order, and it makes the game a horrible drag to play. How did I do it, and how do I turn it off again?

Tias
May 25, 2008

OB_Juan posted:

Why hack some mook's gun? Hack a news chopper, park it on the mooks.

Hack a nearby car, run him over.

Hack a nearby mobile vending machine, have it absorb bullets for you.

Hack his grenade. Boop.

Hack his cybereyes. Blind. (goatse?)

Hack his cyberears. Wubwubwubwub.

Download a pirated Funky Chicken autosoft. Hack his skillwires.

Check for a local sewage pressure release valve. Sure, he's not dead, but it's funny. (Bonus points - email mook's entire friends list a picture of this one.)

A Good Post (tm)

Seriously, I like that guns aren't insta-hackable. See above for a list of much more fun alternatives, and remember that hacking guns should be done in advance and come as a surprise for it to work the best - see that 4e fiction where a technomancer makes a meet with an italian militia, and ejects their clips as proof of ability.

E: As for the respirators, I love low rating poo poo, makes for more teeth-jarring close calls. Street Level character creation prohibits buying devices above R4, and you may have to fashion or steal one in a pinch that simply isn't the bleeding edge ;)

Tias fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Aug 21, 2013

Tias
May 25, 2008

That very much depends on the security set-up. As has been argued, if you're going up against Secure Operators who have everything turned off or skinlinked (though a crawler drone up the pant leg can hook you up in the latter case!), you're hosed - but I side with the "people rarely go black" crowd.

There is a variety of arguments here, I tend to see it like this: People with their weapons, armor and cyber off piss off their superiors who may have RoE, ammo costs or the expensive corp facility around them in mind. Corporate groupthink dictates that mother corp has picked the best probably IC package, or the spider is an elitary goon who refuses to work with soldiers who don't let him handle their matrix security. At the very least their biomonitors should be meshed to check on them, providing a venue of attack.

..And that's before we get into non-professionels, who just don't see a reasion to stay off the grid. JimRob can't not have his AR hooked up to arfcom, otherwise how would his peers know how many home invaders he shot recently?

Tias
May 25, 2008

So I'm creating a character, and in the list of agility-linked skills in my book, I see "Herding". Which I cannot find a description for, elsewhere in the book :eng99:

Another thing to chalk up to lovely editing, or is it supposed to be a skill you can have?

Tias
May 25, 2008

So are you all saying you have no loving idea why the book mentions Herding without a skill description, or have I overlooked where it is? :confused:

Also, I play Dresden Files now for all my wisecracking goat needs, it even suggests weregoats as characters :toot:

Tias
May 25, 2008

The magic stab-goat.. It's.. beautiful :negative:

Tias
May 25, 2008

I'm sorry if this has been answered before, but the rules about advancing skills inside of skill groups and skill groups as a whole, do they apply at character generation? Specifically, could I spend my skill group points to get Cracking to 3, and then spend single skill points to increase, say, Hacking to 5?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Also helps for those Leadership tests when commanding team members or NPC hirelings..

Tias
May 25, 2008

Stuck in a 4E pickle, please help! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3159838&pagenumber=117#lastpost

I know 5E is the hot poo poo right now, but I haven't played since forever and am sticking to the books I have. Thanks in advance!

Tias
May 25, 2008

So we've established that a character may not break up skill groups at character creation - but can he or she take specializations in single skills in the group?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Putting O. Capsicum in with the speed and mind-melting hallucinogen is a bit mean, don't you think?

Tias
May 25, 2008

I'm sorely tempted to make a 5E CYOA for the purpose of learning all these rules. Idea yes/no/awesome/lovely?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Yeah, you're probably right. I just learn best by doing, and I don't have any players to inflict 5E on before next year :3:

Tias
May 25, 2008

So the 5E Rulebook offers a plot hook about the Povryejhda buying up a large barrens area, throwing up a big astral ward and lots of protection around it, to further a secret plan. This sounds like a neat idea for a game, what do you guys think it could be?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Here I was with a plot to mass kidnap folks, install fabritech-glands in them that make betameth and milk them for unlimi-meth at the cost of some protein shake and naps a day. I guess I'm just not cut out for the evil business :sigh:

Tias
May 25, 2008

You're right, of course.. Cowtampering somehow just lacks the, er, heinous vibe the Povryejhda seem suited for.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Might want to put the bullet somewhere else, your biomonitor will still ping them.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Just got hold of Gun Heaven 2, that has troll- and minotaur customized rifles.. That do 7 and 9P in damage. What the gently caress, Catalyst.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Laphroaig posted:

I've given up attempting to run Shadowrun using the 5E rules. The game is just so terribly broken, and every piece of material being released points towards this being a continuing trend and not an aberration which will be fixed with errata.

Basically the design is hosed, the freelancers don't give a poo poo, and no one over at Catalyst cares about the RPG line because it is not designed for play; it is designed to be read, and fantasized over, but not actually played, because in play it is a terrible, terrible game.

So after more than a hundred hours of running Shadowrun Missions I'm switching to Sixth World. The actual setting is great and any pure fluff setting book, I will buy, but books with mechanics in them? Its just one terrible thing after another.

That's encouraging :( I actually had the impression some parts of 5th were easier to use?

bunnielab posted:

That is wildly lame.

I don't see that it is. Electrocution requires time, even if only a short time, to be effective as a means of damage or incapacitation. A punch or swing only connects for an instant. It'd make more sense that a grappling clinch could do both stun and crushing damage.

Tias
May 25, 2008

What does 'Sixth World' refer to in this context? The 4E book park?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Bows are quiet, on the other hand, perhaps even more so with the cyberbows of 2075. I had an adept who used bows and injection arrows for the silent approach to drugging or poisoning people. Not saying it's perfect, but it should have a smaller report than a dart gun.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Little did they know he had some slightly wired friends who'd help out the family.

What's even more awesome is that they managed to out-chaos and out-crazy the loving Halloweeners!

Tias
May 25, 2008

Decided to re-read some old posts and came across this:

Rockopolis posted:

Edit
Shadowrun needs a "used cyberware history" table like Deathwatch's "Power Armor History" tables.

Doc Tias got you covered!

Roll 2d6:

1-5: Besides the unnerving sense of wearing chrome that has been in other people who are probably dead now, your 'ware seems to work perfectly!
6-7: Buggy 'ware. The equipment was formerly in the care of someone who didn't know how to take care of it. Receive the "Buggy 'ware" negative quality.
8-9: 'ware is banged up, and faulty fibres or wire bundles that are hard to repair, make your implant emit weird noises. Receive the "implant noise" negative quality.
10: Tracker. The former users employers, as is standard practice many places, had a stealth RFID tag placed in your new implant (your character is not aware of this!). If the previous owner died under strange circumstances, or they bother to check anyway, the implant can lead them right to your character.
11: It's dead, Jim. The implant is of an older date, with an inferior and possibly obsolete power source. If the implant or the area it is implanted in is struck, make an Edge test(2). If it fails, the implant will stop working, becoming dead weight till it can be repaired or replaced. Given a glitch or critical glitch, it may even break completely or harm the character!
12: Oh sh*t. The former wearer was a bad sort. For whatever reason, the implant was installed with an extra 'gift' in the form of a remote-controlled bomb. While the former installers might not know where the implant is now, it could go off at any time, for any reason whatsoever.

The GM is encouraged to make the roll in secret, of course.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Am I too late for the armour discussion? :iamafag:

I kinda agree that armour should only protect onto a certain point. As with everything, your GM should scale the threat level and be square with you what to expect.

If you crash a normal event or facility, there will be normal security guards, with tazers and Americolts that can't pierce for poo poo. But then you kill the guys. So a CorpSec team shows up with AP rounds and Neuro-stun grenades that may ruin your day. But you can probably deal, right? You can kill a fool.

Only then you get a bad rep for being a fool-killer, or maybe you try to crash a corporate black facility or embassy. Then it's the APDS turrets, AP missile-toting sablecat biodrones and Ringu gas dispensers, because you just had to play hard. And finding out ways around those situations, comrade, is what separates a good razorborzoi from a dead one.

((Can you tell I like my new Russian runner? I do!))

Tias
May 25, 2008

Yeah, but a tendency to use all rules as written will destroy even the most casual game of Shadowrun 4/5E. Unless you're addicted to IV'ing novacrack mocca, a sensible GM might overrule essence loss.

Tias
May 25, 2008

J. Alfred Prufrock posted:

"A good GM will ignore the worst rules" is a direct admission that your rules suck. Now me, I don't usually give money to people for things I'm apparently supposed to ignore, because I am a fountain of bad ideas all of my own.

I doubt anyone's disagreeing, but like most here I enjoy the setting, and so I stay in the game.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Mr. Maltose posted:

This is the weirdest argument. Like, there's nothing intrinsic in the setting that keeps you from taking better and cooler rules and using them. The TRPG SWAT won't bust your door down for violating copyright or anything.

Not really, I am really bad with crunch (brain damage of sorts) and it is actually easier for me to go with a system I've learned than to try to convert an equipment-heavy system til a system I'm unfamiliar with. Me and my group are the kind of people who will have fun and just house rule or let me determine how conflicts or confusingly worded rules fall out, so that's the route we're going.

E:

WiiFitForWindows8 posted:

How does one write an overall campaign for this?

Or is it more of a...I dunno, do runs over and over again?

You can, but ideally you want to fit in a narrative that makes players want to do certain things, much like you'd do in other systems.

For instance, you may want players run to pick up a weapons prototype for some unsavory characters, then are double-crossed. Then the baddies use it for a terrorist attack. The characters will help an intelligence agency get back at the scumbags, and may then learn that the terrorist group is a front for life-hating wraiths or an insane immortal elf or what have you, advancing the narrative.

Thinking a little about how you want the runs you present in the start to fit together will go a long way towards building a coherent greater story.

Tias fucked around with this message at 10:42 on May 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Can you still first aid/medkit damage from drain, though?